• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've slowly been trying to learn to fly better using the 360 pad and right now I think I'm starting to get... acceptable, haha. I'm not exactly good, but I can occasionally do some good in the air.

The good thing is that even as a shit pilot it still feels so cool that it doesn't really matter if I'm good or not, but I just had that first OMG YESSSS moment on Caspian. I was in a heli, started throwing a few rockets at tanks at the cap points etc. An enemy helicopter comes along and starts locking on so I leg it and deploy flares best I can etc. He must've been a newbie too because somehow I managed to get behind him and put a few rockets in. I decide to switch to heat seeking missiles and as I'm locking on to him he turns around until we are facing each other. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP etc but I get my rockets off first and BOOM, down he goes.

It wasn't great skill, but fuck. FUCK. Feelsgoodman.jpg etc

Longshot

Ysiadmihi said:
I guess that explains why some maps are great with 64 players and others clearly weren't designed for it.

The game does feel like it doesn't know who it's supposed to be catering to.
Couldn't have said it better myself, I'm having heaps of fun, but I don't understand the whole BC 3 or CoD 2.0.

BF 3 doesn't know what the hell it is.

Anton Sugar said:
Debbie Downer. I rock choppers with kb+m--don't know what your problems are. Clearly they're not impossible to control, you just have to practice. Which key bindings don't work?

Absolutely disagree on Battlelog. It has it's shortcomings, but it's so damned easy to use.

I'd agree that half the maps suck for certain modes, but the maps don't suck outright. Some are great for rush, others for CQ. It's a shame they didn't put more thought into balancing them.

I want to map a command to Q, but it won't get rid of the previous binding (the command wheel). It tries to execute both at the same time! Stupid game.

Obviously there is a problem with the chopper controls when any given player crashes the entire squad into the ground within 30 seconds of takeoff 90% of the time.

Izayoi

Banned
RibbedHero said:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...Toprocatalyst/

He seems to do very very well.

Oddly enough though, his KDR is only 1.73 despite those insane games listed above.
Dude has a couple of good matches and he's automatically a cheater?

Chill out.

spk said:
How are they dynamic? Do you need to unlock them?
Yeah. You get most dynamic dog tags by acquiring a medal. The one I have on those tags is from the MVP 1 Medal (get the MVP 1 Ribbon 50 times).

Sigma Storm said:
Couldn't have said it better myself, I'm having heaps of fun, but I don't understand the whole BC 3 or CoD 2.0.

BF 3 doesn't know what the hell it is.
I really just don't understand why map variety has to be construed as an identity crisis. Then again, maybe if I played Op. Metro with 64 players I would.

Consider me a fully satisfied, rush loving, console peasant.

Would it be difficult, from a development standpoint, for the flashlight to be dim in bright light and bright in dim light? I want to say it sounds hard, but who knows.

MrCookiepants said:
I want to map a command to Q, but it won't get rid of the previous binding (the command wheel). It tries to execute both at the same time! Stupid game.

Obviously there is a problem with the chopper controls when any given player crashes the entire squad into the ground within 30 seconds of takeoff 90% of the time.

Pretty sure they've identified the Q issue as a known bug.

You're exaggerating the chopper problems. At this point, it's your anecdotes vs mine, but at least in the GAF server, you will RARELY see a chopper crash due to pilot error. Maybe you need to invert your flight controls? I find them much more maneuverable on the PC compared to BC2--it's easy to fly a chopper low/between buildings. First thing I do on Kharg, if possible, it take the Little Bird in low and hover over cap points.

Izayoi said:
Dude has a couple of good matches and he's automatically a cheater?

Chill out.

Yeah. You get most dynamic dog tags by acquiring a medal. The one I have on those tags is from the MVP 1 Medal (get the MVP 1 Ribbon 50 times).
Those games are "too good". He gets 80+ kills and has a accuracy of 4.1%? I doubt he got those with only last hit kills only.

Izayoi

Banned
PoweredBySoy said:
We get it.
Hahaha.

My apologies for explaining it to him.

Anton Sugar said:
You're exaggerating the chopper problems. At this point, it's your anecdotes vs mine, but at least in the GAF server, you will RARELY see a chopper crash due to pilot error. Maybe you need to invert your flight controls? I find them much more maneuverable on the PC--it's easy to fly a chopper low/between buildings. First thing I do on Kharg, if possible, it take the Little Bird in low and hover over cap points.
Yeah, I see people using the chopper like they should all of the time (capping points/shooting down jets/killing tanks). After the first couple of days all of the people who can't fly pretty much accepted the fact and stopped rushing the chopper. Same goes for jets, it seems.

PNstyle said:
Those games are "too good". He gets 80+ kills and has a accuracy of 4.1%? I doubt he got those with only last hit kills only.
Ehh... Maybe his friend was playing or something?

Seems weird that he wouldn't just cheat all of the time, like most cheaters do. What's the point of cheating only some of your games? It's not even like he cheated just to hit max rank and then play legitimately or anything.

Anton Sugar said:
You're exaggerating the chopper problems. At this point, it's your anecdotes vs mine, but at least in the GAF server, you will RARELY see a chopper crash due to pilot error. Maybe you need to invert your flight controls? I find them much more maneuverable on the PC--it's easy to fly a chopper low/between buildings. First thing I do on Kharg, if possible, it take the Little Bird in low and hover over cap points.
If I can learn to fly, the controls are piss easy.

Granted on 360 pad, but yeah.

Izayoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
If I can learn to fly, the controls are piss easy.

Granted on 360 pad, but yeah.
The 360 pad controls are great, I used them for PC during the beta and it was awesome.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I really just don't understand why map variety has to be construed as an identity crisis. Then again, maybe if I had to play Op. Metro with 64 players I would.

Consider me a fully satisfied, rush loving, console peasant.

I enjoy Rush too, but the quality of the Rush maps is nowhere near what it was in BC2 because BF3 is more focused on Conquest. At the same time, having to shoehorn Rush in clearly hampered a lot of Conquest maps anyway.

I'm not shitting on the game, I really enjoy and can't stop playing it. That said, we'd have gotten a better product overall if DICE just focused on Conquest and saved Rush for BC3.

Rainy Dog

The_Darkest_Red said:
I honestly don't get the complaints regarding the flashlight. Yes, it can be very effective up close and it can be frustrating to fight against but for every guy who kills me because of using one there is another guy that I spot and kill from a mile away because of the tiny white light that says, "here I am!"

I'm never even used the flashlight because I value stealth too much. Once you get spotted it's tough to survive so the risk just isn't worth it to me.

But that's the problem I have with flashlights; they barely give away your position at all except in the Metro tunnels. The screen is so busy with stuff anyway that I never see a white light in the distance and think, aha, there's an enemy with a flashlight.

I don't like their inclusion at all personally, but if they were say restricted to shotguns and only blinded at point blank range then I could probably tolerate them.

Izayoi said:
Ehh... Maybe his friend was playing or something?

Seems weird that he wouldn't just cheat all of the time, like most cheaters do. What's the point of playing legitimately for only some of your games?
Maybe because he doesn't want to make it look that obvious or he just recently got to know how to cheat.

Deadly

PNstyle said:
accuracy 4.1% yeah... fucking cheater. reported.
I'll admit it's kinda fishy and seems odd. One of the games is on rush though and that score is rather easy to get. But the conquest games are definitely ehhh..

My friend was also being accused of being a hacker the other day so hilarious. "look at his movements, he's hacking".

Izayoi said:
The 360 pad controls are great, I used them for PC during the beta and it was awesome.
I just wish the buttons prompted change on screen. I still use my keyboard for flares etc because it's never told me which buttons do what on the pad. I should experiment, I guess.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I just wish the buttons prompted change on screen. I still use my keyboard for flares etc because it's never told me which buttons do what on the pad. I should experiment, I guess.

RB.

mxgt

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I honestly don't get the complaints regarding the flashlight. Yes, it can be very effective up close and it can be frustrating to fight against but for every guy who kills me because of using one there is another guy that I spot and kill from a mile away because of the tiny white light that says, "here I am!"

I'm never even used the flashlight because I value stealth too much. Once you get spotted it's tough to survive so the risk just isn't worth it to me.

My problem is it's WAY too fucking bright. It's absolutely absurd.

Also is there a list somewhere of the 360 pad flight controls so I can get used to it on PC?

Ysiadmihi said:
I enjoy Rush too, but the quality of the Rush maps is nowhere near what it was in BC2 because BF3 is more focused on Conquest. At the same time, having to shoehorn Rush in clearly hampered a lot of Conquest maps anyway.

I'm not shitting on the game, I really enjoy and can't stop playing it. That said, we'd have gotten a better product overall if DICE just focused on Conquest and saved Rush for BC3.
I've got just under a day of playtime in the MP so my opinions are still being formed but right now I feel like the maps are just as adequate for rush as those in BC2.

Rainy Dog said:
But that's the problem I have with flashlights; they barely give away your position at all except in the Metro tunnels. The screen is so busy with stuff anyway that I never see a white light in the distance and think, aha, there's an enemy with a flashlight.

I don't like their inclusion at all personally, but if they were say restricted to shotguns and only blinded at point blank range then I could probably tolerate them.
I mean I don't really like them either but I just don't feel like they are that big of a deal. I find them fairly easy to spot on most of the maps though.

mxgt said:
My problem is it's WAY too fucking bright. It's absolutely absurd.
I definitely agree that they could be toned down. If nothing else they look extremely unrealistically bright.

ToyD

Neo Member
The_Darkest_Red said:

My thing with the flashlights is that, yes, at a distance you are entirely correct. It functions as a "shoot here" sign. However, up close, when you're outside, in broad daylight, it's amazingly blinding.

I was playing on caspian border by the antenna, rounded a rock and was blinded by this dazzling white light, remembered after a second to shoot into the light, then died anyway to a guy with a pistol with a tac light. It's crazy crazy up close sometimes.

On a close, dark map, I don't mind it, but outside it's a little broken.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The only thing Metro Conquest is good for is to grind Assault. I've been playing it to get my assault score up and it's working very well.

I joined a server yesterday that had some third party anti-cheat program and it was kicking people left and right.

Played there all afternoon and I didn't see anyone doing 1 hit kills with tanks from across the map, which was starting to become an usual thing.

The only downside was that the server kept throwing out msgs to the huge chat window.

derFeef said:
Can't wait to unlock flares so I can stay in the air for 1 minute :p
That said, I saw more A-91 than SCARS lately.
Just destroy the enemy jets which are at the enemies base to get easy points. Thats how I unlocked flares and missiles :D

Love the game.... until Damavand Peak or Metro come up. God what were they thinking with these two shit maps. They are like the worst in a shooter in a long time. At least the other maps have good points or are pretty decent for the most part.

It seems like most servers though are taking Metro out of the map rotations, but why the hell are they keeping Damavand?! Kills it!

Rainy Dog said:

I've killed many people at range because they had a flashlight on their weapon. I would have not even seen said player from a distance if it wasn't for their flashlight basically saying "here I am". At distance it does nothing but give away your position.

derFeef

PNstyle said:
Just destroy the enemy jets which are at the enemies base to get easy points. Thats how I unlocked flares and missiles :D
Well you are getting kicked for that on good and moderated servers... :)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Using a nice close range scope, making all the difference for close range combat, glad i unlocked this!

Game is great, every day i can feel my self getting a little better, its a pitty when i do really good i get DC :(

Arcipello

BattleMonkey said:
Love the game.... until Damavand Peak or Metro come up. God what were they thinking with these two shit maps. They are like the worst in a shooter in a long time. At least the other maps have good points or are pretty decent for the most part.

It seems like most servers though are taking Metro out of the map rotations, but why the hell are they keeping Damavand?! Kills it!

I've killed many people at range because they had a flashlight on their weapon. I would have not even seen said player from a distance if it wasn't for their flashlight basically saying "here I am"

yeah i was totally fooled into thinking it was a large open map by the screenshots etc they released of it. instead its a "funnel of death" :(

BattleMonkey said:

I've killed many people at range because they had a flashlight on their weapon. I would have not even seen said player from a distance if it wasn't for their flashlight basically saying "here I am"

You know from a console player it is weird seeing how much hate these two maps get on the PC. I can see them being completely hated with 64 players, but with 24 they are great. In fact all of the maps feel solid with that player number. Just enough that you are fighting constantly, but few enough that on the vehicle maps if you want to focus on tank combat there is always one waiting for you at the base. Also the smaller maps do not feel like as much of a meat grinder.

Marleyman

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

I've killed many people at range because they had a flashlight on their weapon. I would have not even seen said player from a distance if it wasn't for their flashlight basically saying "here I am". At distance it does nothing but give away your position.

Rush or Conquest? I think Rush mode for Metro and Damavand are solid.

Evil Benius said:
You know from a console player it is weird seeing how much hate these two maps get on the PC. I can see them being completely hated with 64 players, but with 24 they are great. In fact all of the maps feel solid with that player number. Just enough that you are fighting constantly, but few enough that on the vehicle maps if you want to focus on tank combat there is always one waiting for you at the base. Also the smaller maps do not feel like as much of a meat grinder.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's so weird how different the experiences seem between PC and console. Damavand, specifically for rush, is one of my favorite maps.

Marleyman

Banned
Evil Benius said:

I feel the same way as I am a console player myself.

Evil Benius said:

Problem is soo many 32-64 player servers have that map in rotation and it's just a giant mess. The map I can see being ok with les than 24 players, but lot of us on PC are playing on high number player servers. You would think people setting up the servers would get a clue. The chat box always in Damavand on these servers is nothing but bitching about it too. Lot of servers are leaving off Metro with high player counts, but Damavand needs to be kept off these servers as well

Lanbeast

PNstyle said:

I think my accuracy rings in around 9% and I've had game where I went high 40's-less than 5. I play support and do a lot of suppressing fire, but there are also times when i find a guy that has 3 squad mates spawn on them and mow them all down.

80+ kills seems a little ridiculous at 4.1%, but I wouldn't say it's impossible or jump to the conclusion that he's cheating.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Evil Benius said:

It depends on who you ask. Maps like Caspian Border or Firestorm (the non-64 player versions) feel like a ghost town with only 32 players to me and less could only be worse.

I feel like Damavand Peak would be fine with 64 too if they actually gave you more than two goddamned helicopters for a team of 32 people.

ruxtpin

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Exactly what I was thinking. It's so weird how different the experiences seem between PC and console. Damavand, specifically for rush, is one of my favorite maps.

That's how I felt with Metro during the beta. Granted, I didn't get to play Caspian border since I've only got a PS3/360. I was a little peeved that there wasn't more destruction in Metro, but for focusing more on infantry and close quarters I thought it was pretty fun. I knew there'd be other maps that would have destruction and vehicles, so I was cool with a change of pace.

Ysiadmihi said:
It depends on who you ask. Maps like Caspian Border or Firestorm (the non-64 player versions) feel like a ghost town with only 32 players to me and less could only be worse.

I feel like Damavand Peak would be fine with 64 too if they actually gave you more than two goddamned helicopters for a team of 32 people.

Biggest problem with Damavand with high player counts like 64 in Damavand is that it always turns into a stalemate in the tunnel and it's just a killing field grind that seems to never leave that tunnel.

Ysiadmihi said:

I actually do not mind Caspain Border and I have seen some epic battles at Points A and D on that map. I mainly stick with the tank on that map and patrol back and forth between those two points with the occasional push into C if help is needed.

Quick story time from yesterday. We were fighting two tanks with our one on the bridge between A and D. we almost killed them both, but got destroyed before we could finish them off. Thankfully the three of us bailed from the tank alive and happened to be engineers. We ran down under the bridge and I told everyone to hold their RPG fire for the tanks to go passed us. The first tank goes by, we pop up and put three rockets in its ass for an instant kill. Drop back down below the bridge and do it again when the second tank goes by. One of the most badass moments I have had in the game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom