• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallion Free said:
I like how you defend server stability when the server you are in charge of has a ridiculous crash rate.

And it's not even just yours, servers don't seem to last more than 5 or so rounds before crashing in general.

I like how you've clearly paid no attention to the community thread, because if you did, you'd know the that majority of crashes have stopped since we fixed the map rotation. We used to have anywhere from 5-7 crashes per day. We've only had 1-3 for the past few days. I'd be happy to show you the server logs, since I doubt you'll believe me.

Facism

Anton Sugar said:
I like how you've clearly paid no attention to the community thread, because if you did, you'd know the that majority of crashes have stopped since we fixed the map rotation. We used to have anywhere from 5-7 crashes per day. We've only had 1-3 for the past few days. I'd be happy to show you the server logs, since I doubt you'll believe me.

he's just whinging again, mate.

Menelaus

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
Not so much. I've unloaded clips into the direction of flashlight users and it never seems to hit them, ever. Maybe I should try aiming to the left a little bit?
A little to the right, actually, since every person in the game is right handed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Stallion Free said:
I like how you defend server stability when the server you are in charge of has a ridiculous crash rate.

And it's not even just yours, servers don't seem to last more than 5 or so rounds before crashing in general.

GAF server hasn't crashed on me in a while... actually, I played a shitload yesterday, maybe 6 or 7 hours (wee getting out of work early), and I didn't have a single server crash. *knock on wood*

Arcipello said:
how come i have this weapon on my unlocked list.... yet i dont seem to have it in game?

2akg39s.jpg
yeah, I have the same on my engineer screen (I don't have it unlocked either), but it's suppose to be a recon co-op unlock. Bug?

subversus said:
3. Every PC release since 1991, lol
4. No shit? 112323993483 possible configurations vs 2.
5. Bullshit, I'm using it just fine.
9. WOW, downloading drivers on PC, HORRENDOUS.
10. There are people for whom mouse is always awful.
12. No, it's actually 80%, I know.

I don't know about the whole lead platform thing but he sure does have good points. I built my PC specifically for BF3 and I love the game to death but I want to say 70% of my time is spent crashing, being disconnected, or MP game not loading and causing me to ctrl-alt-del out of it. It's a real shame and it's obvious this was a rushed product. I'm at the point where it's hard for me to even launch the game because I get so upset when it crashes or disconnects me, and don't get me started on the lag.

MrTroubleMaker said:
yeah, I have the same on my engineer screen (I don't have it unlocked either), but it's suppose to be a recon co-op unlock. Bug?

It's definitely a recon co-op unlock. I think it's the fourth gun you unlock.

commish

FuttBuck said:
I don't know about the whole lead platform thing but he sure does have good points. I built my PC specifically for BF3 and I love the game to death but I want to say 70% of my time is spent crashing, being disconnected, or MP game not loading and causing me to ctrl-alt-del out of it. It's a real shame and it's obvious this was a rushed product. I'm at the point where it's hard for me to even launch the game because I get so upset when it crashes or disconnects me, and don't get me started on the lag.

I really don't want to come across as a BF3 fanboy/defender or whatever, but like you, I built my PC only recently, and I haven't experienced *anything* like what you've described. 70%?! I think there's something up with your computer if you're having so many problems...

vaelic

Banned
subversus said:
3. Every PC release since 1991, lol
4. No shit? 112323993483 possible configurations vs 2.
5. Bullshit, I'm using it just fine.
9. WOW, downloading drivers on PC, HORRENDOUS.
10. There are people for whom mouse is always awful.
12. No, it's actually 80%, I know.
#5 is NOT bullshit my good man. MANY users with binding issues. READ

http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefi...tm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefield3/topics/commarose_q_bug

Anton Sugar said:
Hyperbole much? You can't get in one morning =/= broken game. In fact:

It's been a good launch. Game has issues but is far from broken.

Haha are you serious?

Game crashes 50% of the time I try to join a server.
Game used to crash 50% of the time a map changed.
I had 3 game breaking bugs during the campaign where I needed to restart the entire level.
I can't play coop with a friend
One of my friends never gets my msgs on battlelog but he gets them when in a party just fine
I had the browser crash due to an error to the sonar thingy

and now this, I can't play anything because the game manager keeps saying I need to install it.

And these are just My problems, other people are having other problems. Far from broken... what a joke.

I love the game, when it works, but there's no need to defend it with lies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Of all the games launched recently on pc this has been the smoothest experience so far. I think i got kicked out twice because of the punkbuster issue and i had amd driver issues early on. Most of my coworkers are up and running a well.

The game is not broken!

Metalmurphy said:
Haha are you serious?

Game crashes 50% of the time I try to join a server.
Game used to crash 50% of the time a map changed.
I had 3 game breaking bugs during the campaign where I needed to restart the entire level.
I can't play coop with a friend
One of my friends never gets my msgs on battlelog but he gets them when in a party just fine
I had the browser crash due to an error to the sonar thingy

and now this, I can't play anything because the game manager keeps saying I need to install it.

And these are just My problems, other people are having other problems. Far from broken... what a joke.

I love the game, when it works, but there's no need to defend it with lies.

I haven't played much through SP, but I got through all six co-op missions with a friend, with zero problems.

The only time my game crashes is if I launch directly from Battlelog without launching Origin first. This is a known bug they're fixing. Other than that, I really haven't had any crashes. I had two CTD's one night.

Battlelog is still a little wonky (it seems to list me as online when I'm not, so I have messages from people who are expecting responses), but I haven't had any issues with messages being received, the browser plugins (and I use it with Chrome 14 and IE9), etc.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have issues, but again, it is far from broken for the majority of people. Sorry you're having problems.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ElyrionX said:
Any of the good recon players here got tips for Grand Bazaar? I just can't seem to find a rhythm on that map.

Dont try to snipe. Use one of the unlocked guns and use the TUGS in key areas like the alley area. Spotting in those tight alleys is very useful.

commish said:
I really don't want to come across as a BF3 fanboy/defender or whatever, but like you, I built my PC only recently, and I haven't experienced *anything* like what you've described. 70%?! I think there's something up with your computer if you're having so many problems...

Easy to blame the hardware when it's obvious it's an issue with the game. I was okay for the first 2 days, then the crashes just started occurring, the disconnects, the lag (I'm running a fast cable line). I run every single game I own perfectly fine with ZERO issues, including The Witcher 2 on Ultra (very intense game to run). Something is obviously wrong with BF3 as I'm not the only one with these issues.

The game not functioning properly with Windows Aero was my first clue the game was busted.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Doc Holliday said:
Of all the games launched recently on pc this has been the smoothest experience so far. I think i got kicked out twice because of the punkbuster issue and i had amd driver issues early on. Most of my coworkers are up and running a well.

Same. To my surprise we even successfully hosted a 17+ player LAN on Friday night and had no problems all joining up together. There was the occasional lag of course, but we had no significant issues preventing us from all having a good time, and consistently playing.

I applied a Battlelog auto-join fix, the slow load patch and updated my ATi drivers. About the same level of tweaks I perform on most PC games I play really.

commish said:
So he's a liar because you've had different experiences?

Because the game is NOT far from broken.

Anton Sugar said:
I haven't played much through SP, but I got through all six co-op missions with a friend, with zero problems.

The only time my game crashes is if I launch directly from Battlelog without launching Origin first. This is a known bug they're fixing. Other than that, I really haven't had any crashes. I had two CTD's one night.

Battlelog is still a little wonky (it seems to list me as online when I'm not, so I have messages from people who are expecting responses), but I haven't had any issues with messages being received, the browser plugins (and I use it with Chrome 14 and IE9), etc.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have issues, but again, it is far from broken for the majority of people. Sorry you're having problems.

Origin running or not it's the same. It's extremly rare that I get to enter on a server at the first try.

COOP always get disconnected midway through the level loading, this happens with 2 of my friends, BF3 forum is filled with people with the same problem, seems to be global, it was working on the day of release, it's simply not working now.

I'd tell you to add me on Battlelog so I could show but hey, guess what, I can't, cause game manager isn't working.

commish

FuttBuck said:
Easy to blame the hardware when it's obvious it's an issue with the game. I was okay for the first 2 days, then the crashes just started occurring, the disconnects, the lag (I'm running a fast cable line). I run every single game I own perfectly fine with ZERO issues, including The Witcher 2 on Ultra (very intense game to run). Something is obviously wrong with BF3 as I'm not the only one with these issues.

The game not functioning properly with Windows Aero was my first clue the game was busted.

I'm just saying that most folks don't have these kinds of problems, though. We are all running the same software, right? That leads me to believe it's hardware based OR it depends on what server we are on. I'm not saying the game is running perfectly, but no PC game runs perfectly for everyone.... ever... at any point during its release.

Metalmurphy said:

Every PC game launch has countless people suffering from similar problems, not everyone does. To some people it's not broken because it doesn't affect them and in many cases a majority of people are having no issues. Your mileage will always vary, especially in a launch where theres always tons of problems and people constantly find new ones that are unique to their hardware set up.

Everdred

I haven't had any issues... No driver issues, no disconnect issues, no connecting issues, haven't run into any cheaters. I have 21 hours on PC multiplayer.

This is MUCH better than Bad Company 2, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. Or a ton of other recent releases.

BattleMonkey said:
Every PC game launch has countless people suffering from similar problems, not everyone does. To some people it's not broken because it doesn't affect them and in many cases a majority of people are having no issues. Your mileage will always vary, especially in a launch where theres always tons of problems and people constantly find new ones that are unique to their hardware set up.

Sorry but no. Yes every game will have a small ammount of people with problems. This isn't the case. Did you check the official forums?

F#A#Oo said:
Not really...it's very hit and miss and deeply confusing...especially because team-mates also have the ability to blind you...

Basically this is what it feels like to be a rabbit in the headlights...

It does seem like flashlights work like magic bullet erasers. I can fire directly into the light at close range with the 870, fire first, and they're still able to instantly kill me. :/

Divius

ElyrionX said:
Any of the good recon players here got tips for Grand Bazaar? I just can't seem to find a rhythm on that map.
I agree with AndyD, use the TUGS.

As for the rifle itself, use regular iron sights or a ACOG scope. x7 or x8 scopes aren't much good in such a map.

Gamer's expectations have taken a giant shit as of late. It's not broken guys, I can play it, most of the time. Wow. It's not a bug if it doesn't crash you to desktop. Polish, what is that? For a retail game? Woah, slow down. One step at a time.

The fact that whether the game is broken or not has to be discussed shows the game is broken by retail standards, or are we still applying the beta excuse? Are devs suppose to invent the phrase "retail beta" now? Retail price, beta expectations.

Metalmurphy said:
That it's far from broken.

In the 10 hours i have spent in game so far i have had zero game breaking bugs and zero crashes. Is the game still broken for me? Or could it be that different people have different experiences with the game? Just because you have problems with the game doesn't mean that everyone does. I feel for you but the vast majority just doesnt haven't experienced as much issues as you have.

kitch9

Banned
FuttBuck said:

I've played for hours dude, no such issues.

Tehran is the lag map, but its only one map that seems to overload the servers.

Enosh

this game fucking hates me

leading 160 to 12 o something on conquest, I kill a guy and I think he kills me to at the same time or something (I never got a message saying who killed me or with what) and when I respawn I am on the opposing team, it was 14vs14 so no server balancing or shit, I am simply on the other team, I write it in the chat and a guy says he was switched too

I kinda assume it's the guy that killed me and since we killed each other at the same the game kinda went "wtf that is not right"
it's my best guess as to what happened...

pappakenoo said:
In the 10 hours i have spent in game so far i have had zero game breaking bugs and zero crashes. Is the game still broken for me? Or could it be that different people have different experiences with the game? Just because you have problems with the game doesn't mean that everyone does. I feel for you but the vast majority just doesnt haven't experienced as much issues as you have.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/view/2832654624694388054/

And for the record, a game that works for some, but not others, is still a broken game.

Mr. B Natural said:
Gamer's expectations have taken a giant shit as of late. It's not broken guys, I can play it, most of the time. Wow. It's not a bug if it doesn't crash you to desktop. Polish, what is that? For a retail game? Woah, slow down. One step at a time.

The fact that whether the game is broken or not has to be discussed shows the game is broken by retail standards, or are we still applying the beta excuse? Are devs suppose to invent the phrase "retail beta" now? Retail price, beta expectations.

I'm far more disappointed with some fundamental game/map design decisions than the actual game's MP performance. I've played 20+ hours and have had 2-3 CTD's, maybe 2-3 random disconnects, and a ton of disconnects due to our GAF server issue. Two maps, Caspian and Tehran, are lag-ridden with 60+ players. As most have noted, for a release this size, server and game performances has been stable on the PC.

commish

Metalmurphy said:

And for the record, a game that works for some, but not others, is still a broken game.

Are you new to PC gaming or something? Is there a single PC game EVER that does not have posts in the Tech Support section of the official forums, especially at launch?

Anyway, this whole broken discussion is getting old. I'm sorry that some of you are having issues, but most of us are not.

commish said:
I'm just saying that most folks don't have these kinds of problems, though. We are all running the same software, right? That leads me to believe it's hardware based OR it depends on what server we are on. I'm not saying the game is running perfectly, but no PC game runs perfectly for everyone.... ever... at any point during its release.

As Metalmurphy pointed out according to the official forums, a ton of players are experiencing these issues, are all of theirs hardware related too? I don't mean to sound like a dick it's just frustrating when it's obvious the game is having serious issues and I constantly hear it must be my hardware when this is a brand new built PC with the newest GTX 570 drivers and all 30 of my steam games run perfectly fine.

commish said:
Are you new to PC gaming or something? Is there a single PC game EVER that does not have posts in the Tech Support section of the official forums, especially at launch?

Anyway, this whole broken discussion is getting old. I'm sorry that some of you are having issues, but most of us are not.

I've been gaming on the PC since 1991, and that's exactly why I know this release is simply NOT normal.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Metalmurphy said:

Out of 3 hours on the GAF server last night, it froze every time the map changed. The hour before that on another random server, 0 freezes on map changes. So it may well be connected with certain servers, or certain pings or whatever, so we all get different experiences.

That said Anton nailed it with the post above:

I'm far more disappointed with some fundamental game/map design decisions than the actual game's MP performance. I've played 20+ hours and have had 2-3 CTD's, maybe 2-3 random disconnects, and a ton of disconnects due to our GAF server issue. Two maps, Caspian and Tehran, are lag-ridden with 60+ players. As most have noted, for a release this size, server and game performances has been stable on the PC.

Can you cap a server at 58 or 60 or so? It seems far more stable than when adding those last few slots.

And they need to redesign some maps. Metro 64 is a waste of time, but a heaven of healing/reviving for assaults looking for easy points.

AndyD said:
Out of 3 hours on the GAF server last night, it froze every time the map changed. The hour before that on another random server, 0 freezes on map changes.

That said Anton nailed it with the post above:
How is that relevent? I can say stuff like that too:

In 7 out of the 7 days since the game releaesed I had the game crash more then once.
Since 3 days ago, the game failed to connect 20 out of the 20 times I tried to play coop.

See?

*edit*

Hey, here's another one, in order to get the game to work again I had to manually search any Sonar registry key and delete them all. Is this a normal thing too?

Metalmurphy said:
Sorry but no. Yes every game will have a small ammount of people with problems. This isn't the case. Did you check the official forums?
So you're saying there a millions of people on the forums having issues?

AndyD said:
Can you cap a server at 58 or 60 or so? It seems far more stable than when adding those last few slots.

And they need to redesign some maps. Metro 64 is a waste of time, but a heaven of healing/reviving for assaults looking for easy points.

We could certainly give it a try a night or two--will discuss it with Canti. I think a few others have noted the same, with 60 being the "limit", it seems.

With Metro, I was REALLY hoping for a sprawling urban combat map, with the Metro area being a small part. So disappointed, and it's bullshit that Demize said "historically, a lot of players have liked chaotic maps like this" or something like that.

Juancho9 said:
So you're saying there a millions of people on the forums having issues?

I'm saying there's alot more then you usually see. I think you're smart enough to realize not everyone that buys the game, having problems or not, actually use the forums.

Metalmurphy said:
I'm saying there's alot more then you usually see. I think you're smart enough to realize not everyone that buys the game, having problems or not, actually use the forums.
Well, sucks for you guys, I haven't had any issues besides minor stutter/lag.

belvedere

Junior Butler
FuttBuck said:
As Metalmurphy pointed out according to the official forums, a ton of players are experiencing these issues, are all of theirs hardware related too? I don't mean to sound like a dick it's just frustrating when it's obvious the game is having serious issues and I constantly hear it must be my hardware when this is a brand new built PC with the newest GTX 570 drivers and all 30 of my steam games run perfectly fine.

I don't think anyone honestly believes there's no issues and this game launched perfect, but it's not as bad as some people imply. MM is far from wrong, there are definitely issues plaguing many people, but I don't see them being any worse than other titles of this size recently. Take a minute and think back to BF2, BC2, MW1 and MW2. You couldn't load maps, the stats servers were broken in all of the mentioned titles and in MW, you couldn't stay in a party (or even a map) for more than 5 minutes. Shit, I still can't stay in a party in MW2.

Pointing to the game's forum isn't a good metric though. I can't think of any game launch where it's official forums weren't infested with bitching and moaning about every facet of everything.

I'm having a few minor issues . . . 1 or 2 disconnects per day, some lag on specific maps, but compared to other contemporary releases, like RO2 or BlOPz, this is smooth sailing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Metalmurphy said:
How is that relevent? I can say stuff like that too:

In 7 out of the 7 days since the game releaesed I had the game crash more then once.
Since 3 days ago, the game failed to connect 20 out of the 20 times I tried to play coop.

See?

*edit*

Hey, here's another one, in order to get the game to work again I had to manually search any Sonar registry key and delete them all. Is this a normal thing too?

What? I was agreeing with you. Something is broken about it. Just because it works sometimes it does not mean something is still not broken.

And the crash on load is a common problem, I was not the only one last night with that issue. Its something that even appears on the battlelog forums you posted.

commish

FuttBuck said:

Yes, people complain on the official forums. No one goes online and makes a post saying, "hey guys, the game is fine". I'm not saying there are not problems - obviously there are. I'm just saying that most of us are not having these issues, and EVERY PC game has some users who have problems. Can you show me the official forums for *any* game that does not have any posts of computer/software issues?

I remember the launch of BF2, and this one is light years ahead of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom