• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrid

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I joined a server yesterday that had some third party anti-cheat program and it was kicking people left and right.

Played there all afternoon and I didn't see anyone doing 1 hit kills with tanks from across the map, which was starting to become an usual thing.

The only downside was that the server kept throwing out msgs to the huge chat window.

I played last night on a server like this. It boot four people for using aim-bots and one other for 'general hacking'. Why must people cheat. If you suck stop playing.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
3chopl0x said:
threadworthy?

Already posted earlier in here. Nobody wants to be the test subject. EA will likely throw the ban hammer down since the EXE is modified.

Label said:
I am looking forward to getting the M4! I know it is by design but I was just wondering if there was an engineer weapon which had a slightly longer range. Are they all capped at the same range?

M4 is the exact same as M4A1, except it's three round burst. I tried it out last night and I'm not a fan, but some people love it. Might need to practice with it a bit more.

I really go back and forth between the SCAR and M4A1. M4A1 is a beast at close range and decent at mid. It's got such little recoil and has a good ROF that it's fairly easy to bring people down. SCAR requires a little more precision because of the smaller mag but does more damage.

Echoplx

RbBrdMan said:
Already posted earlier in here. Nobody wants to be the test subject. EA will likely throw the ban hammer down since the EXE is modified.

Ah ok, just saw it on my Twitter feed.

Hopefully at some point EA will remove the Origin requirement themselves, it really is pointless.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anton Sugar said:
M4 is the exact same as M4A1, except it's three round burst. I tried it out last night and I'm not a fan, but some people love it. Might need to practice with it a bit more.

I really go back and forth between the SCAR and M4A1. M4A1 is a beast at close range and decent at mid. It's got such little recoil and has a good ROF that it's fairly easy to bring people down. SCAR requires a little more precision because of the smaller mag but does more damage.

Yeah the small mag on the SCAR is killing me, I have not even used the M4A1. I might have to check that out tonight.

RS4-

Yeah the Soundblaster/Audigy/Creative drivers have been terrible for a while, but the latest ones that came out with the Xfi HD, etc have been good.

I'm using an Asus Xonar DG (didn't feel like spending the extra money on the ST/X just yet) and I don't think that's whats causing me problems when the game locks up during map load where I have to try a few times to get into a game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anton Sugar said:

Close range is where I lose most often with the M4. From 15 feet and out, I usually come out the victor - two quick bursts puts anyone down. But close, people just spray and pray and the accuracy bonus in firing in bursts is lost.

RbBrdMan said:
This happens to me every single time I try to first join a server. I'll "Close the Program" and go to join the server again and it works perfectly on the second attempt.

I wouldn't say it happens every time, but the majority of times this is what it's like for me as well. If the first attempt is a "BF3 has stopped working...", the second attempt (if the server hasn't filled up) always works. It's weird.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Metalmurphy said:
Meh, it was already set to 48kHz, so as expected my card is most likely not the problem, why would it be.

It is the sound card drivers and BF3 not playing nice with each other. Like I said you're not the X-Fi user having problems with BF3. (And, even realtek onboard drivers are causing issues like my brother had which were exactly like the problems you are describing.)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646778

Another thing you can try is untick enhance audio option in the game.

Hopefully, dice address this ASAP.

Guanoape

Neo Member
So I finally unlocked the Guided Missiles (air to ground) for the jet, and...they are shit? They do very little damage, they are susceptible to smoke/flares, they only work from a certain altitude, and you're a sitting duck while locking on to vehicles. I don't get it. It's much easier to disable/destroy vehicles with the rocket pods. They are more versatile as well, because you can use them on both vehicles and infantry. I see no reason to use the guided missiles over the rocket pods at this point.

Guanoape said:
So I finally unlocked the Guided Missiles (air to ground) for the jet, and...they are shit? They do very little damage, they are susceptible to smoke/flares, they only work from a certain altitude, and you're a sitting duck while locking on to vehicles. I don't get it. It's much easier to disable/destroy vehicles with the rocket pods. They are more versatile as well, because you can use them on both vehicles and infantry. I see no reason to use the guided missiles over the rocket pods at this point.

Once people start using the SOFLAM more, they're one hit to disable, two hits to kill.

The thing that really gets my goat . . . you should be able to lock on to unoccupied vehicles, like you could in the beta. Once a guy jumps out of a vehicle, you lose the lock. So yeah, weapons that lock on are kind of useless at this point.

I’m disappointed with a number of aspects of BF3. I think the core game itself--the spectacular engine, the unmatched sound, the movement, the weapons/weapon handling/shooting, the kits (for the most part), the gadgets--is amazing. The shooting is the best in the BF series and some of the best in the FPS genre, IMO, and the animation is damned good as well.

My main beefs just come with some game and map design decisions, along with DICE just flat out not living up to promises or prior statements.

As others have said, it just seems unfocused, like they weren’t sure who the game was aimed at when they were making the maps. Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Oddly enough, I really don't have any problem with the Rush maps that I've played so far (but I've played very little in comparison to Conquest). It's the return of the king, Conquest, that has disappointed me in a lot of aspects. Despite what Demize says about players “preferring” some maps with the chaos of Metro CQ 64, to me it’s just laziness at worst, or just good intentions gone horribly wrong at best.

There just doesn't seem to be much imagination or ambition with a lot of the maps, aside from a select few, with Damavand Peak Rush being the "high point". Why do we not have any sprawling, large urban maps? Why is half of Siene Crossing just a series of square city blocks? Why are the most interesting parts of Damavand Peak (the construction areas) relegated to cap point sabotage/trolling, instead of being the focus? Why the fuck is the flight ceiling on Canals so low? Why do so few maps have any element of verticality to their design?

Luckily, this is all map-based. The game just feels like it hasn't come near it's potential of what it could be. And then there are the stupid design decisions:

Squad Management should not be an issue at this level. DICE has had squads in their games for a decade now--why are things regressing? Why can’t I assign/pick a squad leader?

Inability to chat in-game was a horrible decision for pub play. It hasn't affected me thanks to Mumble and it honestly seems like most PC communities use something other than in-game VOIP, but it's still a strange omission.

I think the infantry unlock system is well-balanced (most important unlocks come early), if not very tedious. However, the aircraft unlock system is laughable. Flares should be a STANDARD--it increases survivability in jets, which give you more gameplay "moments" (to use DICE phrasing). Unlock should give you CHOICE, not fundamental gameplay abilities (we STILL have to unlock the defibs? ugh)

And then the broken promises::

--Destruction being hyped and then given the caveat of, “Well, we didn’t want THAT much destruction.” It’s almost the exact same thing as BC2: all prefab destruction. Rubble does stay on the ground and for some buildings, it’s harder to discern the prefab, but it’s definitely not what I was expecting (Caspian tower, I’m looking at you)
--Squad Leader “abilities”. So, they had “lots of cool things” that a squad leader can do? Like what? So far, it’s the exact same as BC2: you can set attack/defend orders, and that’s it. Squad leader spawning isn’t even on by default, so that’s not even a squad leader “ability”. What happened to being able to call in Artillery Strikes, which was mentioned as recently as a few weeks before release?
--Huge maps, the “biggest ever in BF” according to DICE. There are really only two "big" maps: Firestorm and Kharg, and these don't even take full advantage of their size. What happened to the seven flag map we were told was in the game? Why make the "biggest maps ever" if you aren't going to utilize half of the space?

I still love the game and still have faith it’s going to have some great post-launch support. Like I said, I think at it's core, it's great, but it's not really being realized or taken advantage of. I just wish they had given the game more focus.

Stuff like this, however, is why I love this fucking game.

Do PC gamers have the disappointing illusion of enemies floating through the air at long distances because the game can't render the background visuals in time?

Fucking shitty generation. BRING ON 2013.

so what's with jets feeling like they are flying through molasses on some maps. On canals once you fly for a bit turning gets really difficult and the jet almost seems to slow to a crawl in midair. what's that about?

Guanoape

Neo Member
Calavera520 said:
so what's with jets feeling like they are flying through molasses on some maps. On canals once you fly for a bit turning gets really difficult and the jet almost seems to slow to a crawl in midair. what's that about?

For some reason the flight ceiling on Canals is ridiculously low.

Calavera520 said:

Pretty sure the flight ceiling on Canals is a lot lower than the other maps. If you go past a certain height, you "stall".

Kyaw

Anton Sugar said:
Pretty sure the flight ceiling on Canals is a lot lower than the other maps. If you go past a certain height, you "stall".

Stalling is fucking pathetic, you should be losing power/control and altitude... not the effect of running a jet into a giant marshmallow.

Marvie_3

Banned
Kyaw said:
Stalling is fucking pathetic, you should be losing power/control and altitude... not the effect of running a jet into a giant marshmallow.
This. It's annoying as shit just floating in the air.

peetfeet

Is there any way to invert the helicopter pitch controls on the PS3? I don't see an option in the control set up, or am i being thick?

Also, can you eject from planes?

remnant

Banned
kitch9 said:
I bought it on disc instead, purely because it was BF3. Hell will freeze over before I purchase anything on Origin and EA can kiss my ass.

Was that the response you were after?
Telling a company to kiss your ass at the same time admitting you paid them full price? Kinda sends the wrong message.

I hope there is a crack that totally gets around using Origin. I'm not going to use that one posted, but if a better solution comes up so I don't have to have that POS running I'll be very happy.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
BF3GAF (360, PC, PS3, doesn't matter): Are you genuinely happy/having fun with BF3 at the moment, or are you disappointed with the game?

Tomat said:
BF3GAF (360, PC, PS3, doesn't matter): Are you genuinely happy/having fun with BF3 at the moment, or are you disappointed with the game?

Game is the best multiplayer game I've ever played.

When it works.

(PC Version)

GeoNeo said:
Another thing you can try is untick enhance audio option in the game.

Hopefully, dice address this ASAP.

:eek:

Did this, rebooted, game entered on first try. Hope it wasn't just a coincidence.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Tomat said:

The game has some problems but I wouldn't have already put 21 hours into a game I didn't like. The extreme amount of fun I have with a proper squad helps me overlook some of the connection and balance issues.

mbmonk

remnant said:
Telling a company to kiss your ass at the same time admitting you paid them full price? Kinda sends the wrong message.

At least he bought the physical copy and that probably resulted in less profit for EA than if he bought the digital version... maybe?

StevieP

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I hope there is a crack that totally gets around using Origin. I'm not going to use that one posted, but if a better solution comes up so I don't have to have that POS running I'll be very happy.

You don't have to keep it running. It will autostart itself when you click on the BF3 icon, and I shut it down when I'm done playing. FYI I do the same thing with Steam. It's not that big of a deal.

StevieP said:
You don't have to keep it running. It will autostart itself when you click on the BF3 icon, and I shut it down when I'm done playing. FYI I do the same thing with Steam. It's not that big of a deal.
Oh really? I assumed that would close the game.

Awesome. Cheers!

RotBot

Tomat said:
fun crash disappoint fun crash disappoint

This is the first PC game I've ever had so many crashing issues with.

Tomat said:

Yes I am having a hell lot of fun. There's quite a few things I want fixed and improved but it's some of the most fun I have had with a game for a while.

derFeef

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh really? I assumed that would close the game.

Awesome. Cheers!
It also works with Steam. Launch BF3.exe with steam (which launches origin and then opens the browser), then you can close Origin.

Beaulieu

Tomat said:

most of the times i cannot get into a game.
the other times, i have fun, but its mostly frustration really. (PC)

Salacious Crumb

Tomat said:

I'm having loads of fun with it, and so far at least I'm lucky enough to have experienced very few crashes. (PC)

Tomat said:

Fun, absolutely. Especially when GAF gets together to play. I've played 24 hours, have had 2-3 CTD's, a few server disconnects (not counting the ones from the GAF server). Game has been remarkably stable for me.

Khal_B

As an engineer, I'm finding it extremely difficult to kill tanks that are being repaired by opposing engineers ie. I'm not killing them at all.

Khal_B

Mikasangelos said:
Wait til you unlock Javelin.

That's the thing, I swear even when I lock on my Javelin shots miss, so I just reverted to the default launcher.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Or aim for the engineers fixing them. That's what I do :D

Obviously not always possible, but hey.

Yeah, if I get a shot at the engineer I'll take it, but many times that's not an option, especially at chokepoints.

Enco

Get on it Dice/EA!

I've been fairly lucky (only a few crashes) but others have had crashes for every mach. God damn this game needs an update.

It's an amazing game and that's why I'm sticking with it. The closest to a real war a game has gotten. Being pinned down with a few teammates, trying to survive, is a thrilling experience.

iam220

Tomat said:

Really happy with the way the game turned out. Unlike some other gamers I loved BC2 on PC, felt like in many aspects it was a big improvement over bf2. BF3 improves on BC2 in just about every single way while adding 64 player support,jets etc.

Before BF3, BC2 was my favorite MP fps. Now BF3 holds that position easily. LOVE this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom