• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've had only a few crashes here and there (SP and MP) that may or may not be related to my settings (playing on Ultra with a 1.2 GB GTX 570), haven't mucked around with it too much as the crashes aren't frequent enough for me to try and resolve it.

Khal_B said:
That's the thing, I swear even when I lock on my Javelin shots miss, so I just reverted to the default launcher.

Once you lock shoot the Javelin towards the sky instead of directly at the tanks.

GJS said:
Lock on and then aim up into the air quickly.
What he said.

belvedere said:
Did we get MM fixed? We have to help fellow BF3 brothers in need!
I'll let you know if it crashes again. But tbh, the crashes weren't my biggest problem. I fixed the Game Manager my self, and I still can't play coop with friends. (edit, actually not even matchmaking is working now)

Enco said:
Get on it Dice/EA!

I've been fairly lucky (only a few crashes) but others have had crashes for every mach. God damn this game needs an update.

It's an amazing game and that's why I'm sticking with it. The closest to a real war a game has gotten. Being pinned down with a few teammates, trying to survive, is a thrilling experience.

Same. Favorite moments are sticking with a good squad and moving through a map, capping points. The animation and sounds really sell the whole experience.

Nizz

Tomat said:
BF3GAF (360, PC, PS3, doesn't matter): Are you genuinely happy/having fun with BF3 at the moment, or are you disappointed with the game?
Right now the game is sitting in the case because of the deadzone/lag issue (PS3). So it's been disappointing to me. There's plenty to like: the graphics look great, sound is fantastic, the feel of being in the middle of a big war.

But those controls, man. They're killing the game for me right now. :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kermit The Dog said:
Do PC gamers have the disappointing illusion of enemies floating through the air at long distances because the game can't render the background visuals in time?

Fucking shitty generation. BRING ON 2013.

Never seen that on PC. And I play at mostly medium settings.

Tomat said:
BF3GAF (360, PC, PS3, doesn't matter): Are you genuinely happy/having fun with BF3 at the moment, or are you disappointed with the game?

Fucking awesome on PC.

Despite minor bug/hiccups with Battlelog, the actual game itself is better than I was expecting. You also need to realize that certain maps are geared towards certain gametypes and populations. For example, if you're set on playing 64 player Metro then you're probably headed for disappointment. Server admins are starting to realize this as well and are adjusting their rotations to accommodate this. Another one is consoles, being 24 player, should probably stick to Rush, as the larger conquest maps feel barren.

People are right in saying that this game doesn't seem to know who it wants to cater to, but once you set it up for your specific playstyle and server, it's pretty awesome.

Khal_B said:
As an engineer, I'm finding it extremely difficult to kill tanks that are being repaired by opposing engineers ie. I'm not killing them at all.

Why IMO killing any surrounding Engineers/Infantry is often more important that taking on the tank as quick as possible.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
derFeef said:
Friend of mine: "I start to get the hang of it, Damavand and Metro are the best maps!"
Me: -.-

He must be playing assault and not worrying about shooting anyone and instead reviving people.

Or he's playing Rush.

mbmonk said:
Anything I should know before grabbing the ps3 version?

Some people are describing a certain input lag that makes the game feel similar to the pre Patch Killzone 2 controls. I can't confirm or deny this because my ps3 copy is still sitting in plastic since I'm having way to much fun playing the PC version with GAF.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RbBrdMan said:
He must be playing assault and not worrying about shooting anyone and instead reviving people.

Or he's playing Rush.

Spamming rockets is the best way to get points on that map. Take advantage of the splash damage and enjoy the points.

Sorry if this has been covered to death but does anyone have a good suggestion for control settings for air vehicles with the xbox 360 controller on PC?

It just doesn't feel right on the default settings. Would be good to see other people's bindings and set up for helicopters and jets. Would it be better to just spring for a proper joystick and throttle?

Nekrono

Did a patch come out today? I started the game and got this:

dec076f50665b049c8bd143f4ea149630dbca8d0.png

DietRob

commish said:
Spamming rockets is the best way to get points on that map. Take advantage of the splash damage and enjoy the points.

Yea, I can see how that would be good for points.

When I play Metro I usually pick Assault so I can grind it. I rarely ever play Assault so it helps to be able to get 4000 point games by doing nothing but throwing med packs and revives.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RbBrdMan said:
Yea, I can see how that would be good for points.

When I play Metro I usually pick Assault so I can grind it. I rarely ever play Assault so it helps to be able to get 4000 point games by doing nothing but throwing med packs and revives.

That's good too; people die so often, you can get a few hundred points before you get a rocket yourself. I don't even try to get the flags anymore. No point.

iam220

So that ATI hack to fix the slow map loading did not work for me. It instead made the game crash while loading. So that was quickly reverted.

What did work was finally updating my drivers to the latest ones. The maps load faster now. :D

Beaulieu said:
I play each lunch for one hour and the game crashes about 3-4 times each time.

hardware :

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3565 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Display Memory: 4065 MB

Oh and I downloaded the full 12Gig game in 8 minutes, so I doubt it has to do with my connection.

So many people having problems with that card. My friend has a Gigabyte and is having the same problem.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
commish said:
Not really, just got 13k (with ribbons) without using grenades or M320.

Nabs

Nekrono said:
Did a patch come out today? I started the game and got this:

http://i.picpar.com/dec076f50665b049c8bd143f4ea149630dbca8d0.png

They usually announce patches

iam220 said:
So that ATI hack to fix the slow map loading did not work for me. It instead made the game crash while loading. So that was quickly reverted.

What did work was finally updating my drivers to the latest ones. The maps load faster now. :D

Yeah, the fix did nothing. I'll try the latest drivers later.

Can make a ton of points on healing and giving ammo in the choke point levels like Damavand and Metros by not even fighting. Just sit back supplying/healing and watch the points fly

TCRS

Banned
Gameplay wise it's great, but after four days I have to say that the maps suck. Only nine maps and two of them are tiny without any real vehicle combat (the heavy tanks on Seine Crossing are useless). Damavand Peak too is not a big map with any real vehicle combat. And Metro is a total joke. I'm talking about the Conquest mode btw.

The other maps are okayish, but lack the awesomeness of Modern Combat and Bad Company 1 maps (I'm playing on the 360). On Firestorm there are only three points and all of them are in one line, the same on Kharg Island although there's plenty of space left and right. Tehran Highway is better but suffers from some mysterious lag.

Caspian Border and Noshahr Canals are okay I suppose.

So, compared to maps like

- Backstab (MC)
- Bridge Too Far (MC)
- Par for the Course (BC1)

etc. these maps are a real disappointment. I was hoping that DICE learned from their mistakes in BC2, but seems like they haven't (not on consoles anyway).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Why IMO killing any surrounding Engineers/Infantry is often more important that taking on the tank as quick as possible.

Yep. Or throw a couple of land mines in front of the tank. When they are done and hop in, boom!

Used to do that in BC2 a lot. Since you are not shooting them up, they wont be on guard so they will just roll forward when they hop in.

DietRob

Nabs said:
Yeah, the fix did nothing. I'll try the latest drivers later.

Same here, running a 5850. I was wary about downloading the ATI Tools thing anyway, so after I crashed on loading 3/3 times it was quickly uninstalled. Interesting enough after uninstalling I seemed to load much quicker into the games than previously. Placebo effect likely.

Menelaus

Banned
derFeef said:
It also works with Steam. Launch BF3.exe with steam (which launches origin and then opens the browser), then you can close Origin.
Interesting. I knew you could launch through Steam (what I've been doing, just so I can have the overlay), but didn't know you could kill Origin after. Excellent!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
MrCookiepants said:
I'm just about done trying to convince myself this is a good game.

Most of the content isn't worth anyone's time. Campaign sucks. Co-op sucks. Half the multiplayer modes suck. Half the maps suck. Battlelog sucks the most. I don't even know where to begin with that. Jets and Choppers are impossible to control, so there's some more content that might as well not be there.

I can't see shit in this game. It looks pretty, but trying to spot an enemy is like playing Where's Waldo. And the aiming is definitely off. This is what I imagine Killzone 2 would feel like with a KB+M.

Key bindings DON'T WORK PROPERLY. WTF?

I'm so mad at myself for buying into the hype.

Maybe it's not just your cup of tea? How does the MP suck? I've played about 40 hours already and I still dig it.

Hate to say it, but did you come from CoD? If so, you can't run-and-gun 2-3 guys and expect to live. No perks will help you out in the game. Burst fire for long shots, compensate for distance and bullet travel time, etc.

Also, Battlelog is something me and my friends kinda dig. We check each others' stats, compare and whatnot. Platoons are also there but mostly as a bragging right, no?

If this is your first BF game, give it time. That's the same thing I felt way back when I was a die-hard CoD fanboy. I "unlearned" everything CoD taught me and ended up loving the franchise way more than I expected...to the point that I like BF more than CoD now.

Special J

Banned
Khal_B said:
That's the thing, I swear even when I lock on my Javelin shots miss, so I just reverted to the default launcher.

Yeah, if I get a shot at the engineer I'll take it, but many times that's not an option, especially at chokepoints.

javelin is straight up garbage. lock on takes forever, standard rpg to rear is a two shot kill. also gives away your position tanks can hear lockons and they see a very bright red dazzle in that direction. limited ammo and a locked on missle can be dodged by speeding forward or backwards.

Hey guys,

Has anyone had the "you were disconnected from the server" issue? I've got it no matter what server I'm joining. I'm talking to an EA rep fella, but he seems to think it's because of high traffic, but surely I'd be able to join at least one game? I'm only trying to join games with some empty spaces, but still, I can't join.

I remember having this issue in the beta, and it never got fixed for me.

Thanks!

Menelaus

Banned
The English Conquistador said:
Hey guys,

Has anyone had the "you were disconnected from the server" issue? I've got it no matter what server I'm joining. I'm talking to an EA rep fella, but he seems to think it's because of high traffic, but surely I'd be able to join at least one game? I'm only trying to join games with some empty spaces, but still, I can't join.

Thanks!
Make sure all of your router's ports are forwarded per the EA specs.

FStop7

Banned
This probably more belongs in the PC Performance thread, but since we're talking about crashes -

I've had relatively few problems but one thing I have noticed is that disabling Aero in Windows 7 significantly speeds up load times in multi. I'm almost always one of the first in on a new game, where people Aero enabled often don't get in until after the game has actually started.

I don't know if it's a video card thing, or what. I have a 5870.

Special J

Banned
The English Conquistador said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

use chrome browser, the webplugin isnt so stable with other browsers. also servers crash kinda frequently maybe every 10 games, you'll know because when you goto the server page you'll get a 404 server doesnt exist in battlelog.

iam220

RbBrdMan said:
Same here, running a 5850. I was wary about downloading the ATI Tools thing anyway, so after I crashed on loading 3/3 times it was quickly uninstalled. Interesting enough after uninstalling I seemed to load much quicker into the games than previously. Placebo effect likely.

My improvement in loading times by updating to latest drivers was definitely not placebo. They used to be excruciatingly long on certain maps (siene crossing and grand bazar being the biggest offenders). Now they're much faster. I'm getting into games before the the round has officially started and even have an opportunity to jump into a jet once in a while, where as before by the time I loaded and spawned the round had already started.

Hi guys, just a quick question - will I need an online pass to play online on PS3? Planning on renting tonight to try before I buy. Checked the OP but couldn't see anything.

FinKL

Correct answer is best multiplayer experience, when the game is up and running. My game constantly crashes from the Realtek/Punkbuster crash bug. I can only play on non punkbuster servers so not GAF server for me :(

def sim

Ad Infinitum said:
Hi guys, just a quick question - will I need an online pass to play online on PS3? Planning on renting tonight to try before I buy. Checked the OP but couldn't see anything.

You need an online pass, yes.

Menelaus said:
Make sure all of your router's ports are forwarded per the EA specs.

I don't use a browser, just a normal virgin media modem. :/

Special J said:
use chrome browser, the webplugin isnt so stable with other browsers. also servers crash kinda frequently maybe every 10 games, you'll know because when you goto the server page you'll get a 404 server doesnt exist in battlelog.

I'm using Chrome, believe it or not. And still haven't had any luck I'm afraid.

To menelaus, could I forward my modems ports or can that not be done on such a device?

Thanks for the replies.

Won

Tomat said:

It's okish. Pretty uneven on all ends, but overall it's fun.

I'm running it on a Windows 7 partition on my iMac, and - despite the rather weak hardware - I haven't encountered a single technical issue while playing. i3 3.2 GHz, ATI 5670 (512MB) and 8GB RAM.

I can only run it at 30fps, 1080p, all lowest settings, but that hasn't hindered my enjoyment one bit. I genuinely think it's the best multiplayer game since BF2 / SOCOM II. The sound is positively terrifying at times, the animations superb, the thrill of teamwork unparalleled. Top experience all round.

The lag in this game is horrendous. I shoot a rocket and it will show me shooting the rocket and then a second later I have the same rocket like I never even shot it. Even running somewhere takes me 10 more steps than it should because of the rubber banding that occurs.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Special J said:
The plugin just isn't that stable in general. I'd much rather use it in a very light, no frills browser like opera, but after I leave a game, Chrome locks up for a good minute or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom