• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourman said:
The lag in this game is horrendous. I shoot a rocket and it will show me shooting the rocket and then a second later I have the same rocket like I never even shot it. Even running somewhere takes me 10 more steps than it should because of the rubber banding that occurs.

Which maps? I haven't had any issues like that unless on Tehran (horrible rubber-banding) or Caspian (occasional horrible rubber-banding).

Barrett2

Opening 5 min of this game are really dumb. Quicktime events are the worst thing in the world.

Also had a weird glitch in the opening, when the dude jumped on top of the train my PS3 had some hiccup where the game basically restarted to the pan shot of Manhattan, so it basically rewound for fifteen seconds. IMMERSION!

Anton Sugar said:
Which maps? I haven't had any issues like that unless on Tehran (horrible rubber-banding) or Caspian (occasional horrible rubber-banding).

Played Caspian last night and it was doing it and then just now on Kharg Island.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fourman said:
The lag in this game is horrendous. I shoot a rocket and it will show me shooting the rocket and then a second later I have the same rocket like I never even shot it. Even running somewhere takes me 10 more steps than it should because of the rubber banding that occurs.
I have yet to see any major lag even w/ 64 players on any server I have a good ping on, as long as noone else is using my home network for anything that eats up bandwidth.

J-Rock

Banned
PNstyle said:
I need more stinger ammo :eek:

So true. When I play Support and see a guy using the Stinger I drop ammo next to him everytime I run by him. Wish others would do this for me when I'm an Engineer. :/

Railer

Tomat said:
BF3GAF (360, PC, PS3, doesn't matter): Are you genuinely happy/having fun with BF3 at the moment, or are you disappointed with the game?

360 here. After the first days problems with quick match, it works perfectly for me now.
And it's awesome !

mcrae

Salacious Crumb said:
Just a little hot tip for those that don't know: when you get out of a vehicle you teleport to the side of the vehicle you're facing. Eg if you're an engine tank gunner and an enemy tank's shooting you from the front aim behind you before you get out so you teleport to the back of your tank and start repairing.

appreciate this tip!

I think the moment-to-moment combat in the game is some of the best ever in a multiplayer FPS. But the maps are definitely not anywhere near as good as BF2 or 2142.

I am looking to buy a BF3 server and a Mumble server as well. And If I buy from multiplay gameservers I get a mumble server for free (Equal to the slot count and 50% off for every additional slot)

So I might pull the trigger on that unless I hear any negative reactions to Mumble or Multiplay Gameservers.

So I have a few questions. 1) Were is the Gaf server purchased from? 2) Does anyone have an experience with Multiplay Gameservers (Negative or Posative reaction to them?) 3) Your thoughts on Mumble.

fifasnipe2224 said:
I am looking to buy a BF3 server and a Mumble server as well. And If I buy from multiplay gameservers I get a mumble server for free (Equal to the slot count and 50% off for every additional slot)

So I might pull the trigger on that unless I hear any negative reactions to Mumble or Multiplay Gameservers.

So I have a few questions. 1) Were is the Gaf server purchased from? 2) Does anyone have an experience with Multiplay Gameservers (Negative or Posative reaction to them?) 3) Your thoughts on Mumble.

Multiplay has been "good" overall, as far as latency goes. We did have a map rotation bug that was contributing to server crashes (we figured out the fix) and their tools aren't the greatest. We haven't decided whether we'll renew yet (we have a one month term).

Mumble is great. Used it before we got our free server and will continue using it.

If I had any say in the server you choose, I'd suggest 32 player for Rush. We already have a 64 player CQ server and a 64 player Euro server, as well.

Red Blaster said:
I think the moment-to-moment combat in the game is some of the best ever in a multiplayer FPS. But the maps are definitely not anywhere near as good as BF2 or 2142.

I agree, these are the probably the worst maps in any BF game. When the Karkland map pack hits, I'll probably just stick to those, which is sad because I've already played them to death in BF2, and in the case of Wake Island, since 1942. :(

mcrae

fifasnipe2224 said:

the most popular gaf minecraft server is through muliplay. it has decent uptime, but is hindered by the fact that you need multiplay to support any mods before you can install them, so not a ton of custimizability.

the GAF multipurpose mumble server is where SC2 GAF hangs out, and i can vouch for its awesomeness. i hvent used vent or teamspeak in 2-3 years, but it blows the experiences i have had with those out of the water

Desaan

I'd love to be able to see my ping on the PC, I've had some real WTF COD style strafe behind the wall and get shot anyway moments. Either I'm playing on terrible servers or something else is going on behind the scenes, this is not a common occurrence however but there are times it does leave me wondering.

Also, if you put a silencer on the SV98 when you pull the trigger the bullet just falls out of the gun. I know a silencer adds bullet drop but WOW, WOW! I never realised that a bolt action rifle had a drop of 30+m on a target 200m away. Fucking ridiculous! (goes back to using the shotgun)

Doctor_20

Banned
go_la_clips said:
I agree, these are the probably the worst maps in any BF game. When the Karkland map pack hits, I'll probably just stick to those, which is sad because I've already played them to death in BF2, and in the case of Wake Island, since 1942. :(

Most of the maps don't seem like they're from a battlefield game. Some of them, like Tehran Highway are too big for Rush. There's a lot of ground that no one ever covers.

Arucardo

I H8 Memes said:
So many people having problems with that card. My friend has a Gigabyte and is having the same problem.
I've got the Asus 560 Ti DirectCU II that I OC'd and I've yet to have a crash, played 10 hours of multiplayer on Saturday.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Pennybags said:
Anyone online right now during the day hop on the GAF server, pronto!

I would but I'm 'working' right now. I'll probably be able to jump on around 6pm EST.

mcrae

any dogfighting tips? how do i shake someone from my tail? do i speed up and turn? slow down? ive tried many combinations but its hard :/

The_Monk

Ok I just wanted to share my gaming experience since I got this game yesterday.

I'm still getting used to the different play style when comparing to other FPS's.

-So far my K/D is around 0.8. I'm going to try to at least be 1.0

-I heal and revive. Every time I can, I get a little bit stressed out because it's important for me to heal and revive my team mates.

-I always go to arm/defuse the objectives.

-I try to drive vehicles properly, wait for team mates to hop on and then I go meet the point A or B.

So far I'm winning some times losing others. It's funny because I have something like 10-15 but have more points than the person who's 20-2.

I hope to see every one more worried in winning other than K/D ratio. Is that how the majority of the people play?

Love playing as Assault so far, trying to give a good performance as a Medic is awesome.

The_Monk said:

I'm still getting used to the different play style when comparing to other FPS's.

-I heal and revive. Every time I can, I get a little bit stressed out because it's important for me to heal and revive my team mates.

-I try to drive vehicles properly, wait for team mates to hop on and then I go meet the point A or B.

So far I'm winning some times losing others. It's funny because I have something like 10-15 but have more points than the person who's 20-2.

I hope to see every one more worried in winning other than K/D ratio. Is that how the majority of the people play?

Love playing as Assault so far, trying to give a good performance as a Medic is awesome.

K/D doesn't mean awhole lot, you can get higher scores often doing objectives and earning awards. Obviously lot of people are more obsessed with K/D than playing a team based game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mcrae said:
any dogfighting tips? how do i shake someone from my tail? do i speed up and turn? slow down? ive tried many combinations but its hard :/
If you're trying to do a hard bank turn (pull the plane up while rotated 90 degrees towards a side), you want to slow down to reduce your turn radius and hope your pursuer speeds past.

Victrix

*beard*
The_Monk said:

Your k/d is only relevant as a concern as long as you're not going 0-12 or something. If you're anywhere near close to even and you're helping the team in other ways, you're doing fine.

Always going for arm/defuse is a good way to get yourself shot, especially arming. It's a much better idea to try to lock down the area than it is to go for constant zerg-like arm attempts that end with you getting shot by the same two guys covering the bomb site 5 times in ar ow.

Healing is helpful, reviving is risky. You expose yourself and the person you are reviving to danger in a lot of situations. Pay attention to what's going on around before you go for a revive. If the enemy who just downed your target is still in the area, they're likely still scoped and watching near the body. If you run out and revive immediately, your helpless revivee can't do shit while he gets shot again, and you're exposed as well.

If you're having issues with infantry combat, pick a gun, go play some TDM until you unlock the IR Scope, then return to Rush or Conquest and unleash the power of complete cheese.

Desaan

mcrae said:

Do a barrel roll!

Seriously though, if they are any good you're as good as dead but the best way I usually get people off me is by slowing right down and pulling up and around using the outside view to try and get a bead on them as they fly past then try to re-engage.

Doctor_20 said:
Most of the maps don't seem like they're from a battlefield game. Some of them, like Tehran Highway are too big for Rush. There's a lot of ground that no one ever covers.

I think for BF3, they took maps designed for "large conquest maps", and then had to convert them into lower player count "rush" maps.

It is a really different feeling having come from BF2 and 2142, which IMHO are the pinnacle of dice mapping.

Even Bad Company 2 new what kind of game it was, played to it's strengths, and then designed maps to fill it's needs.

BF3 feels lost, catering to everyone, but specializing in nothing.

Got the game today my Specact and PhysicalWarfarePack codes don't work, am I meant to enter them somewhere specifically or are my codes just bad?

Divius

Had some fun on the EuroGAF server, too bad those games way too often end with one team being better than the other.

Maybe because I always end up on the losing team: w/l ratio = 0.78 :|

Had some fun games tonight on the GAF EU server.

Edit: Ahh you can't always have equal teams. Other than Caspian, we never rolled over you. I still found it fun :)

Nearly 150 kills with them now I think! :D

I loveee them. You were good at spotting them, though, I had to be sneaky and hide them in places other than the middle of the road (which is usually enough!).

Kak.efes said:
How long does it take to unlock some of those co-op only weapons?
I played through all of them on normal and unlocked 2 weapons. I failed a few times though. It just depends on if you like to play them or not. It shouldn't take an excessive amount of time to get all of them.

The_Monk

Thanks BattleMonkey and Victrix really good advices there.

I try to revive, after I kill the one who killed my team mate, but some times if I'm not fast enough and I can't revive them.

BTW when the skull icon appears does it mean that he can't be no longer revived?

The only thing I need to learn is the difference between the guns I'm using and unlocking. I'm still using the same one on Assault on both sides but with some sights and other stuff that I unlocked. Is there a way to full check the specs of the weapons?

And isn't there a way to customize the Russian side on the main menu? When I go there I only see the US soldier.

Oh and I love to spot enemies very useful for my team I guess.

The_Monk said:
Oh and I love to spot enemies very useful for my team I guess.

That is indeed incredibly helpful even if most people don't seem to know how it works or find it to awkward (on a console controller) to push the button constantly.
I'd also like to add just staying alive and giving your team a good point to respawn. My K/D ratio is even worse than yours most of the time, but it really doesn't matter at all.
If you want to go for a metric, it would be better to take a look at the score/minute rating instead.

The_Monk

kingschiebi said:
That is indeed incredibly helpful even if most people don't seem to know how it works or find it to awkward (on a console controller) to push the button constantly.
I'd also like to add just staying alive and giving your team a good point to respawn. My K/D ratio is even worse than yours most of the time, but it really doesn't matter at all.
If you want to go for a metric, it would be better to take a look at the score/minute rating instead.

PS3 here. It's a little strange to try to aim the enemy and hit Select but I'm trying my best. I'm also trying to spot any vehicle.

In the end, I spot everything I can, I heal and Revive and then go for the kills. It really gives you a more "Team" spirit in the game and when your team wins you feel that you made part of that Victory.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Sigh...get this message EVERY time I load up a server and then it loads afterwards. Really annoying

zSmuV.jpg

Kyaw

The choppers are SOO much fun to fly. Shame they are so squishy...

Also it's kinda slow to change the yaw when rolling sideways, maybe balanced so that it's hard to circle strafe?

StevieP

Banned
SteveO409 said:
Sigh...get this message EVERY time I load up a server and then it loads afterwards. Really annoying

zSmuV.jpg

I got that message once when I tried to change the level of in-game AA and clicked "apply" instead of "back" then "save. That's after installing the newest 11.10 Catalyst.

I simply avoid clicking "Apply" now until ATI (or DICE lol) fixes it. Before 11.10, I had no issues whatsoever. Strange... 11.10 improves framerates, too, damnit.

Kyaw said:
The choppers are SOO much fun to fly. Shame they are so squishy...

Also it's kinda slow to change the yaw when rolling sideways, maybe balanced so that it's hard to circle strafe?
My eventual goal in my quest to become a decent pilot is to one day, somehow, shoot you down in mah choppa.

Seanspeed

Banned
kingschiebi said:
Its definitely too akward for me. And too dangerous. If I've got somebody in my sights, I cant afford to spend an extra half-second 'spotting' them when I could be shooting instead. I suppose if I thought it was unrealistic to be able to kill them for whatever reason(wrong class or something), but its definitely never my first intinct. I'm pretty I'd die more often than not if I allowed the enemy to get the jump on me because I was pressing some button other than 'fire' first.

GJS

Surprised I can't find many complaints about the G36C, the gun seems to be one of the engineers weakest weapons compared to how it was in BF2.

It has almost no use at medium-long range, it has pretty low damage so use in semi-automatic mode is limited due to the number of shots it takes to kill, and the burst spread is large enough that it can take over 3 bursts to kill someone. On the other hand it handles pretty well in extreme CQC.

pix

HixxSAFC said:
what the shit. Plant on the MCOM, but I died about 1s before it blew up. 0 points.

-_-

I noticed this bug as well. Happened to me a few times. I have also defused the MCOM and died a split second after and got no points for defusing.

StevieP

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
Damn, now I'm afraid to update to 11.10. Don't want to bork my game!

You can always roll back. 11.10 brings smoother framerates from what I can tell. And as I said, the only downside that I've found consistently has been the fact that changing in-game AA (with crossfire enabled, btw) requires you to click "back" instead of "apply" - and only for me.

The_Monk said:
PS3 here.
It really gives you a more "Team" spirit in the game and when your team wins you feel that you made part of that Victory.

Same and I have to agree. From what I saw, people do really seem to appreciate jets and choppers being spotted. Even if the game has some flaws in a couple of areas, it is really good at giving the "team feeling" feedback.

Kak.efes said:
How long does it take to unlock some of those co-op only weapons?

The max points per minute you can get, either from doing 5-minute-ish speed runs through hit n run or utilizing the unlimited respawning enemies area on 11th hour, comes out to around 2200-2500.

Around 3 hours for the final unlock.

Seanspeed said:
Its definitely too akward for me. And too dangerous. If I've got somebody in my sights, I cant afford to spend an extra half-second 'spotting' them when I could be shooting instead. I suppose if I thought it was unrealistic to be able to kill them for whatever reason(wrong class or something), but its definitely never my first intinct. I'm pretty I'd die more often than not if I allowed the enemy to get the jump on me because I was pressing some button other than 'fire' first.

I would love being able to remap the button and would even give up the "throw grenades" button for spotting.
As for spotting being too dangerous, well, one has to be the sniper and one has to be the spotter. Don't shoot and don't get killed so quickly.

Works well for me when doing engineering duties or even playing recon but just using the rifle zoom to observe and spot enemies in hot zones from afar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom