• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgerst3

Why is bf3 running at 720p on my 1080p LCD?

It looks average at best. Did I miss a setting check box? Seriously, I must be missing something?

madmackem

Badgerst3 said:

It looks average at best. Did I miss a setting check box? Seriously, I must be missing something?

What console are you playing on? im not sure but i think ps3 bf3 is 720p only.

Nekrono

Badgerst3 said:

Setup your resolution on the "Fullscreen Resolution" setting in the Video Options menu.

(This is assuming you are playing on PC)

Badgerst3

Nekrono said:
Setup your resolution on the "Fullscreen Resolution" setting in the Video Options menu.

(This is assuming you are playing on PC)

I am on ps3 and google does indeed indicate bf3 is running at 720p only.

Is there a ps3 or game setting I missed or something- cuz this looks pretty bad on a 55 inch Sony LCD?

madmackem said:
What console are you playing on? im not sure but i think ps3 bf3 is 720p only.

Most console games run 720p (or something close to it). Some allow your system to "up-res" it to 1080p, but it's not the native resolution obviously so it doesn't really make it look any better.

Badgerst3 said:
I am on ps3 and google does indeed indicate bf3 is running at 720p only.

Is there a ps3 or game setting I missed or something- cuz this looks pretty bad on a 55 inch Sony LCD?

Looks pretty good to me. (on 360)
Although I haven't played it on my 52" tele yet, only my 23" monitor so yeah lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally jumped into mp. This game is freaking awesome. I'm a big fan of bf, and this is everything i could hope for in a console bf. The game is fun, and challenging. I played a decent about of maps, no big complaints so far. I havent had any connecting problems that I have read about.

I wish people would use the spotting system more. And would drop supplies more often.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

Dear, Common Folks.

Fuck you. I throw down ammo boxes and you run away. I throw down health packs and you run away. I revive you but you never return the favor. I repair your vehicles but when mine is in need of repair, you run away. I arm the MCOM's but you can't defend them. I defend the MCOMS, but you fucks like to suck at sniping and suck even harder trying to spawn camp the offense. When I'm squad leader I give you orders and we earn lots of extra points. When you're squad leader you don't have a mic, you usually suck, and NEVER give orders and so the whole squad loses out on many points.

You shitbags think it's funny to hop in the jet and crash it 11 seconds later. You stupid assmongers think it's funny to wait for the transport helicopter to fill up, fly it half way to an objective and then bail out so that all the idiots who don't know how to parachute cost our team respawn tickets. You fuckers who spawn and taxi the tank to the enemy base only to have them steal it or blow it up, are friggen terrible. Teammates with flashlights and laser pointers, keep the shit out of my face. And snipers, when you suck so bad that I hear you poppin' off a whole goddamn clip to kill one guy, how bout' you change fucking classes, OR START FUCKING SPOTTING.

/RANT

I cannot wait, for MW3 to drag a large portion of the "stupid" crowd away from BF3's otherwise amazing MP.

*Disclaimer*: No offense to GAFer's though I'm bound to upset a few.

Sigh...I really want to disagree with you, but I can't. Randoms playing this game are really motherfucking assholes.

No one cares about objectives, or about helping their team out, etc. No one spots. No one has the foresight to "distract" the defenders when an MCOM is armed, they care about their K/D a tad too much.

I'm actually on the fence if given the chance, would I want BF to take over CoD. I want it to overtake CoD since I think it's a vastly superior game/franchise, I want more people to play with but if it does happen, there will be more asshats running around gunning for kills or just using vehicles for the lulz - which is fine sometimes, but NOT every spawn time.

We can hope that they will learn eventually, but DICE should have included a tutorial of some sort to teach people how to play properly.

endlessflood said:
No, it just looks bad on PS3 (worse than BFBC2 anyway).

Whaaaat? There's no way BF3 looks worse than BC2! I don't even understand when people say this. I have it plugged on HDMI at 720p and it looks gorgeous. Even hills, grass looks better compared to BC2. Heck, my friends who are CoD fans constantly said that BC2 looked like crap but remained mum on BF3.

Also, sidenote but I don't experience this aiming issue on PS3. What is it about? Anyone care to explain in detail? Maybe one thing I noticed is when I use pistols and aim, sometimes the aiming goes from too fast to barely moving...is that it?

Got sent PMs last night due to me going 36-5 and 22-2 on Metro and Kharg...they hated my guts and called me a camper even though I was capping flags and was destroying tanks.

I actually messaged one guy and told him that Metro's B flag was the most important one, hence the reason why I was protecting it.

AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

Dear, Common Folks.

*snip*

/RANT[/B]

It's like you're in MY BRAIN. I feel like I'm the only one making full use of his class half the time I'm with randoms. Every time I see an ammo or health box it's like a miracle.

How come DICE didn't put a spotting bonus ribbon (and medal) in the game? Seems obvious to me based on the other things that are ribbons and would possibly help increasing the number of people that spot.

excaliburps said:
Heck, my friends who are CoD fans constantly said that BC2 looked like crap but remained mum on BF3.

People that play COD were talking about visuals? That game is very sub-HD, especially on the PS3, and the textures look like they are from a OG Xbox or PS2 game.

AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

Dear, Common Folks.

Fuck you. I throw down ammo boxes and you run away. I throw down health packs and you run away. I revive you but you never return the favor. I repair your vehicles but when mine is in need of repair, you run away. I arm the MCOM's but you can't defend them. I defend the MCOMS, but you fucks like to suck at sniping and suck even harder trying to spawn camp the offense. When I'm squad leader I give you orders and we earn lots of extra points. When you're squad leader you don't have a mic, you usually suck, and NEVER give orders and so the whole squad loses out on many points.

You shitbags think it's funny to hop in the jet and crash it 11 seconds later. You stupid assmongers think it's funny to wait for the transport helicopter to fill up, fly it half way to an objective and then bail out so that all the idiots who don't know how to parachute cost our team respawn tickets. You fuckers who spawn and taxi the tank to the enemy base only to have them steal it or blow it up, are friggen terrible. Teammates with flashlights and laser pointers, keep the shit out of my face. And snipers, when you suck so bad that I hear you poppin' off a whole goddamn clip to kill one guy, how bout' you change fucking classes, OR START FUCKING SPOTTING.

/RANT

I cannot wait, for MW3 to drag a large portion of the "stupid" crowd away from BF3's otherwise amazing MP.

Yeah.

Only stupid people play Modern Warfare and only the upper crust of die-hard players will remain once it comes out.

Yeah.

Take that shit to the MW3 vs BF3 thread, for the love of all that's holy.

eek5

excaliburps said:
Also, sidenote but I don't experience this aiming issue on PS3. What is it about? Anyone care to explain in detail? Maybe one thing I noticed is when I use pistols and aim, sometimes the aiming goes from too fast to barely moving...is that it?

Yeah kind of. There are two things, I think. The first is a slight input lag. There is a delay in between when you move the stick and when your character moves. I think this is easy to get used to. The second one is some aim acceleration where the RS movement isn't 100% linear. This affects people playing with high sensitivity more since it seems like the center of the movement zone stays at default speed while the outside gets increased so if you were to turn using RS you'd start of slow then as you moved the stick to the outside you'd spin around really fast. I just dropped my sensitivity and have gotten somewhat used to it but I've also been compensating by hip firing and just aiming by moving the LS.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Steelyuhas said:
How come DICE didn't put a spotting bonus ribbon (and medal) in the game? Seems obvious to me based on the other things that are ribbons and would possibly help increasing the number of people that spot.

People that play COD were talking about visuals? That game is very sub-HD, especially on the PS3, and the textures look like they are from a OG Xbox or PS2 game.

Yeah. I have no idea why they didn't implement that. Heck, they give you a ribbon for people that spawn on you! They should add in a spot ribbon/medal to make people curious to what it is and hopefully do it enough that they will learn its value,

CoD might look old, but it doesn't look bad. They used to trash BC2 even though it had a map about 10 times as big. When I tell them I'd rather the game looked like that instead of having smaller maps, no destruction, etc. They kinda understand a bit...but they want it all and everything.

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah.

Only stupid people play Modern Warfare and only the upper crust of die-hard players will remain once it comes out.

Yeah.

He does have a point tho. I mean it's unfair to label them CoD noobs, but there are a lot of people I've played with that are transitioning from CoD to BF3. I have to explain that K/D means jackshit in the game and they can't run around like jackrabbits going after kills. Basically, they have to unlearn those things.

Also need to remind them about ammo/meds when there are people. One big difference is in CoD, when the round starts people run around trying to find the first enemy they can find. In BF3, it's different. Either you go after the first vehicle or you go to the nearest flag to cap it...or in my case, go after the most important flag in a given stage to cap it.

Not saying CoD are for dumbfucks or whatnot, but there are a lot of people transitioning that NEEDS to learn how to properly play it...I used to be a big CoD fan and I do understand where they're coming from. :)

red731

Steelyuhas said:

I am asking myself that same exact question. They should up the points you get from spotting or say you can spot to help team in the loading screen..with big text for anyone to see.

And I don't know what you are and the rest is talking about. I like the graphics in the ps3 version.
But maybe that is just me...
I have fun.

BigJiantRobut said:
Yeah.

Yeah.

:lol

It wasn't a personal attack. Simply common sense if you ask me. COD's a popular game. Where there is a crowd, there is bound to be a majority of stupid or uninterested people (I've never been proven wrong otherwise.) So, when MW3 comes along and takes with it 16 million+ people, I imagine a large chunk of "stupid" people will move on to that in place of BF3 where people who are genuinely interested in the MP will stick around.

What say you, chap ?

I have a serious problem. When I lose a round in this game, I sit there and fume and stare at the enemy's names and wish misery and suffering on them. I HATE losing in this game, especially if I have a shit ton of team actions like ammo, revives, health, spotting etc. I deserve to win, and they deserve to lose.

*fuming*

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
red731 said:
I am asking myself that same exact question. They should up the points you get from spotting or say you can spot to help team in the loading screen..with big text for anyone to see.

And I don't know what you are and the rest is talking about. I like the graphics in the ps3 version.
But maybe that is just me...
I have fun.

They can up the points or have it plastered all over the loading screen. Yeah, that would work. I might tweet the devs and ask them about that. Doubt anyone will reply though.

I like the graphics too. Heck, Metro's stage looks good in my eyes. The walls shining, fire going on a corner, etc. I've yet to meet someone in real life who told me the graphics suck. They're mostly in awe that the maps are really big...these are the CoD people I was telling you about. :)

MDavis360 said:
I have a serious problem. When I lose a round in this game, I sit there and fume and stare at the enemy's names and wish misery and suffering on them. I HATE losing in this game, especially if I have a shit ton of team actions like ammo, revives, health, spotting etc. I deserve to win, and they deserve to lose.

*fuming*

Yeah, me too. I can take going negative (K/D) in a round but I CANNOT stand losing. Especially when I do my best to resupply, take out tanks, heal, spot, etc. It's like I'm Rambo and other teammates feel like they're in a pillow fight or something.

Case in point, last night I was playing and I almost always took out 2-3 guys every spawn time just to cap a flag, but I always get killed while capping it...no one even goes near me to help out. Such asses.

snack said:
How come I haven't heard anyone use mics online yet? This is odd. It's like a ghost town!

Perhaps the VOIP is set to "squad only?" Make it Team but it's a clusterfuck of noise tho.

madmackem

Steelyuhas said:
Most console games run 720p (or something close to it). Some allow your system to "up-res" it to 1080p, but it's not the native resolution obviously so it doesn't really make it look any better.

Your both right and wrong, if your tv isnt very good at scailing it can introduce extra jaggies etc to a non native res so in that case having your console be the scaler would be better. I know one of my lg lcds i had made 720p stuff look a bit rougher than when i let the console scale it. The thing with the ps3 is alot of games simply wont scale at all as it isnt built into the hardware like the 360.

While I eagerly wait for my UK copy of BF3 to arrive (the tracking 8 ball says all signs point to yes) I have a question. If I play on the PS3 with a headset who can hear me talk? Only my squad mates? Everyone? People in the game on my friends list?

red731

Atruvius said:
If you're on PS3, the voice chat doesn't work in game.
It does.

systemfehler said:
While I eagerly wait for my UK copy of BF3 to arrive (the tracking 8 ball says all signs point to yes) I have a question. If I play on the PS3 with a headset who can hear me talk? Only my squad mates? Everyone? People in the game on my friends list?

You can set it to squad and team.

J-Rzez

So is the M98 a one shot kill in this game most of the time? I'm about to unlock that, hoping it's a good hitting, and great sounding gun. All I know is that SKS is a real PoS. Shoots fast, takes two shots to the head at times to kill an enemy. I need to get the M39 for my CQC-esque role, and hopefully the Barret is a beast for long range.

It's probably old, but I just found out you can use your MAV to disable sniper mobile spawn points today by accident. Funny stuff.

FStop7

Banned
AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

Dear, Common Folks.

/RANT

Eh, I can't fly helos for shit but I don't deliberately crash them. If they're going to be difficult to fly then there needs to be a training mode, that's all I ask for. Otherwise I'm just going to go ahead and have to learn during real games. I don't endlessly grab the choppers, but I will take one once every couple of rounds.

Raide

Rygar 8 Bit said:
i blame dice for adding a single player should of just focused on more maps instead would of avoided all of this

I kinda think they did make loads of maps and they cut them for later DLC purposes. They could have done Karkland out of the box if they wanted but they would rather DLC it. This time next year there will be loads of maps.

Metro 2.0!!!!

AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

Dear, Common Folks.

/RANT

Nahaha.

Never gonna change....

P.S.: When my vehicle is burning and i drive it literally straight up your ass, i need a repair. When i shoot you in your fucking face with the pistol for five minutes, i need ammo.

START FUCKING SPOTTING.

FStop7

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
What's the name of the GAF server and can I just access it through the game, or do I have to log onto battlelog?

On PC, you mean? Search for NeoGAF in Battlelog and you'll see it.

red731

Atruvius said:
It doesn't work for me or anyone I usually play with.
I've read about it and they are addressing thes issue. Seems like it is okay on X360.
Wait for next patch and it should be working as intended.
I really haven't had much problems with it, but sometimes the voices are stuttering...
And I also hope for that rubberbanding fix...it is like running 3 meters six times sometimes.

def sim

Single player isn't bad so far. Derivative of modern CoD's and some parts are done really badly (AC-130 type scenes) but the set pieces are more interesting overall than, say, Black Ops.

Still, I'd rather have a Battlefield SP campaign be more like Bad Company 1 than a janky corridor shooter.

red731 said:
It doesn't work properly at the moment, people cut in and out. In four man squads I've never played a single match yet (after 30 odd hours) where at least one person in the squad doesn't sound like this. That's why "PS3 users communication problems" are one of the things DICE have acknowledged they're currently looking into (see the OP).

red731

endlessflood said:
It doesn't work properly at the moment, people cut in and out. In four man squads I've never played a single match yet (after 30 odd hours) where at least one person in the squad doesn't sound like this. That's why "PS3 users communication problems" are one of the things DICE have acknowledged they're currently looking into (see the OP).

yup, check my upper post

derFeef

Spl1nter said:
you could play with GAF. We have mumble and everything.
I always end up in the team where you are not in, and when you are on the other team it's a sealed deal that I am on the losing side :)

I remember playing with Nabs in a squad one time though, was awesome.

KAOz

Short bus special
AngelSoldier said:
Begin Rant

/RANT

This was sooooo good that I could almost suck your dick.

Seriously, spot, fucking, on.

I hate randoms so much. I was in a match, where NOBODY spotted. I shit you not. There were NEVER any orange marks, unless I did it. Drove me crazy.
And yeah, my KDR sucks, but I'm trying for the fucking objectives and defending shit. Goddamnit.

red731

NOTICE We will perform maintenance on our servers (all platforms) on the 2nd of November at 9:00 - 11:00 GMT. During this time, you won´t be able to play online.

So you know.

ed: i am bolding that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom