• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not someone who complains about overpowered stuff usually. I don't think any guns are unfair, generally the game is really well balanced.

But the thermal scope is potentially game ruining. The beauty of the game is picking your spot, going in prone, finding the right cover etc. Since everyone started using thermal I've been picked off wherever I am and now that I've started using it I can see why. I enter an area, zoom in, look for some orange and shoot at it. It's basically a built in hack, IMO. It takes away ALL tactics from combat situations.

It needs to get nerfed terribly. Give an option to somehow counter it, at least. Horrible, horrible thing and I'm having much less fun now it's spread so much.

Agreed 100%

Killing people is an absolute joke with the attachment. They need to remove it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Woorloog said:
Helos shouldn't fight each other... planes should fight each other and kill helos. Try to anyway.
Everyone can do something about everything is a good idea but that ain't true for BF3. Recons and Assault can't do anything about vehicles in practice (M320 damage is minimal against vehicles, Recons have SOFLAM but it needs people who have laser guided missiles available and need to use them). And tanks can't do anything to jets but that's fine (outside some freak incidents like jet flying very low etc)
Considering how good Engineer is ATM (SCAR-H can be configured for long range shooting easy too by the way, they can do anything), i think spreading their stuff across the board could make others more on par with them, while not exactly weakening then, just making them more specialized.
Tanks apparently get some type of guided shell. I've had my jet blown out of the sky by tanks several times. Assault can pop smoke and revive engies I guess, but yeah, they seem like the only class without a direct answer to armor.

Anton Sugar said:
Well, no one wanted a SCAR nerf, so if we want the IRNV balanced, it probably won't happen
lol.gif

What's ironic is that we have all these crazy, obtrusive lens effects when we're running around in game, but the moment we, you know, look through a scope LENS (IRNV or not), they're crystal clear.
lol.gif
True.

If this doesn't get fixed soon I can see myself putting a lot more time into MW3 than I originally intended. It's so stupid that one thing ruins my enjoyment so much, but it is.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not someone who complains about overpowered stuff usually. I don't think any guns are unfair, generally the game is really well balanced.

But the thermal scope is potentially game ruining. The beauty of the game is picking your spot, going in prone, finding the right cover etc. Since everyone started using thermal I've been picked off wherever I am and now that I've started using it I can see why. I enter an area, zoom in, look for some orange and shoot at it. It's basically a built in hack, IMO. It takes away ALL tactics from combat situations.

It needs to get nerfed terribly. Give an option to somehow counter it, at least. Horrible, horrible thing and I'm having much less fun now it's spread so much.

Wow, I had no idea this existed in the game. It definitely explains why I've been getting absolutely slaughtered recently while hiding in grass whereas at launch I could actually hide. I thought it was aimbotting.

Get rid of this shit!

Spl1nter said:
there is a spec that decreases explosive and shrapnel damage.

Yeah but then I can't carry around 9 rockets lololololol

Foliorum Viridum said:
True.

If this doesn't get fixed soon I can see myself putting a lot more time into MW3 than I originally intended. It's so stupid that one thing ruins my enjoyment so much, but it is.

By the end of the beta, just about all my deaths were from the UMP with the IRNV. It was ridiculous. Like carrying around God's dick.

They fixed half of the equation (UMP has been nerfed, a bit too much in fact) but the IRNV still doesn't have enough negatives to match the Predatorvision it gives.

Rainy Dog

Anton Sugar said:
Demize says the reason the SCAR is being nerfed is from them looking at stats.

I can't see how they can nerf the SCAR without making it redundant. It seems to take one less bullet to kill than the M4 but fires much slower and has considerably more recoil. Seems balanced to me.

If anything I feel the M4, M16 and possibly F2000 are the weapons that need looking at because of their rates of fire plus low recoil without been any weaker than most automatics.

Anton Sugar said:
Yeah but then I can't carry around 9 rockets lololololol

By the end of the beta, just about all my deaths were from the UMP with the IRNV. It was ridiculous. Like carrying around God's dick.

They fixed half of the equation (UMP has been nerfed, a bit too much in fact) but the IRNV still doesn't have enough negatives to match the Predatorvision it gives.
Does it have a negative at all? You can't see enemies REALLY far away with it and it obviously obscures your vision somewhat, but those are so minimal. I would say it's nearly all positives.

Well, the green is ugly to stare at, I suppose that's one too :p

mxgt

Banned
What makes it even funnier is you can use shift to steady so you have even less recoil when firing than with a RDS and you can see everyone perfectly.

How this shit didn't get nerfed/removed is beyond me, but then again DICE left metro conquest in the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anton Sugar said:
I certainly wouldn't mind if it were removed, but it should absolutely be nerfed in some way. Shorter range, smaller FOV, increased "static" or distortion when you move with it scoped, etc.

Demize says the reason the SCAR is being nerfed is from them looking at stats. I hope they have a way of seeing how many kills were made with weapons equipped with the IRNV, because it's gonna shoot up here soon.
Doesn't even need a nerf. Just needs a counter. Like an unlock that lets you hide from thermals.

Nabs

mxgt said:
What makes it even funnier is you can use shift to steady so you have even less recoil when firing than with a RDS and you can see everyone perfectly.

How this shit didn't get nerfed/removed is beyond me, but then again DICE left metro conquest in the game.

I had no idea you could steady your aim with it. My KDR is going to skyrocket.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm inclined to agree.

This isn't the same game it was a few days ago. My enthusiasm for it has significantly dropped, and that's not even hyperbole. It removes the tactical element I loved. Mines? Worthless. Standing in stealthy/tactical locations? Worthless.

haha wait till the snipers finally level their guns high enough to get it. talk about a game ender for me.

Woorloog

Banned
Spl1nter said:
there is a spec that decreases explosive and shrapnel damage.
Yeah right, the other specs are far better and important... and the spec doesn't stop Engis anyway, they just keep spamming rockets until you're dead. Nerf the rockets a bit, reduce splash amount and radius on them and then point out that if rockets are still a problem equip the flak spec.
SapientWolf said:
Tanks apparently get some type of guided shell. I've had my jet blown out of the sky by tanks several times. Assault can pop smoke and revive engies I guess, but yeah, they seem like the only class without a direct answer to armor.
Tank's guided shell doesn't target aircraft or anything else than ground vehicles unless someone is lazing a target. On consoles that doesn't happen at all yet, no people use laser guided missiles (other than me apparently) and no people use SOFLAM/other laser painters.
Recons do not have direct answer to vehicles either, as SOFLAM is useless unless other players take advantage of it. Same with 40mm smoke grenades...

Deadly

TheSeks said:
Also fuck DICE for AUTO-EQUIPPING THOSE ON UNLOCK. Yes, DICE because I OH SO WANT my AKS-47U to have an 8x scope slapped on it on respawn. SMH.
I've never gotten this problem (PC).

About the IRNV, it's...yeah. I don't see it being OP but it sure is useful in the dark areas.

Also are they nerfing all 7.62 or was it just the SCAR? I'm quite enjoying the A-91 right now

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'd be okay with this. Kinda like Cold Blooded in MW.

It would still make my mines useless though :(

My own team destroys my mines most of the time. Is there a way to determine which mines are friendly mines?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
commish said:
My own team destroys my mines most of the time. Is there a way to determine which mines are friendly mines?

Yea, I did this to you yesterday. Sorry man.

SapientWolf said:
Doesn't even need a nerf. Just needs a counter. Like an unlock that lets you hide from thermals.

I still don't really think that would fix it, as it would basically force you into using whatever perk that would be if you didn't want to get killed by the OP weapon/combo. The game should encourage variety, but if there is one weapon/combination that everyone is using because it's godly, it needs to be balanced so choice can return.

DEMOCRACY

commish

RbBrdMan said:
Yea, I did this to you yesterday. Sorry man.

lol, and then we went cruising a bit further and got owned by enemy mines. I found it pretty ironic :p

Menelaus said:
Also, friendly mines will have little icons above them

I honestly don't see that...

commish said:
lol, and then we went cruising a bit further and got owned by enemy mines. I found it pretty ironic :p
The enemies were doing it wrong. What I do is hide my mines by the enemy mines, so they glance and see friendly ones on the map, go forward, then BOOM.

:D

GodofWine

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'd be okay with this. Kinda like Cold Blooded in MW.

It would still make my mines useless though :(

I want that counter to come with shades to block the flashlights.

Also, I'd like to see guns be able to have EITHER a scope, OR a laser / flashlight...many would rather have a scope, but when given the ability to have a scope and a stupid blinding device, they will take it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anton Sugar said:
I still don't really think that would fix it, as it would basically force you into using whatever perk that would be if you didn't want to get killed by the OP weapon/combo. The game should encourage variety, but if there is one weapon/combination that everyone is using because it's godly, it needs to be balanced so choice can return.

DEMOCRACY
I'm suggesting that the people using the scope would be easy prey for the people using the perk, which balances out the ecosystem.

GodofWine

Anton Sugar said:

DEMOCRACY

But if everyone uses the counter, than people will stop using the IFNV scope...then people can stop using the counter and scope completely since everyone will assume the other guy is using them o_O

Calavera520 said:
what is the current effective range of the IRNV? maybe they could just make it short range
I was stood by the rocket launcher at the spawn in Bazaar, looking over at the market, and the scope picked up people on the opposite side of the market running towards the alley.

So really fucking far.

Megasoum

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I was stood by the rocket launcher at the spawn in Bazaar, looking over at the market, and the scope picked up people on the opposite side of the market running towards the alley.

So really fucking far.

I was sniping people at Checkpoint from Antenna on Caspian... yeah... that's range lol.

commish

Foliorum Viridum said:

So really fucking far.

Yes, it's rare to someone to be outside my range (though I guess I wouldn't know it if they were).

Calavera520 said:
what is the current effective range of the IRNV? maybe they could just make it short range

Yea cutting the effects range would be a big help. It's range currently seems to be unlimited. Make it also less pronounced perhaps and slightly easier at range to hide from. If they nerf it too much it basically goes into useless territory.

BattleMonkey said:
Yea cutting the effects range would be a big help. It's range currently seems to be unlimited. Make it also less pronounced perhaps and slightly easier at range to hide from. If they nerf it too much it basically goes into useless territory.
It's not unlimited, because looking down from the Bazaar spawn to the "Highway" checkpoint people were running into range the closer they got, but it's still way too far.

1stStrike

Banned
Woorloog said:
Yeah right, the other specs are far better and important... and the spec doesn't stop Engis anyway, they just keep spamming rockets until you're dead. Nerf the rockets a bit, reduce splash amount and radius on them and then point out that if rockets are still a problem equip the flak spec.

Tank's guided shell doesn't target aircraft or anything else than ground vehicles unless someone is lazing a target. On consoles that doesn't happen at all yet, no people use laser guided missiles (other than me apparently) and no people use SOFLAM/other laser painters.
Recons do not have direct answer to vehicles either, as SOFLAM is useless unless other players take advantage of it. Same with 40mm smoke grenades...

I run with guided shell and javelin. I'm always waiting for people to deploy a SOFLAM, but nobody ever does D:

However! I'm going to be unlocking the 3rd seat in tanks today and this will allow me to laser targets for the tank driver... I can even change them over to thermal vision and such.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
commish said:

Haha, yea that made me feel pretty dumb. Blow up all the mines!

Rainy Dog

GodofWine said:
Also, I'd like to see guns be able to have EITHER a scope, OR a laser / flashlight...many would rather have a scope, but when given the ability to have a scope and a stupid blinding device, they will take it.

I said that during the beta. Make players choose between a sight/scope or a laser/flashlight and you'd soon see a rapid decrease in the number occasions your screen is a big white circle.

After unlocking IRNV for my m416 yesterday and using it for the next 10 matches in a row, it is crazy overpowered. Having people lit up like a christmas tree and being able to see then proned in a bush, where you normally wouldn't, or just the increased effectiveness of spotting while using the scope. The range, FOV and even the infrared thermal signature should all be toned way down or even remove the scope from MP all together. Once you get it, I don't see why you would use anything else. It is really almost like cheating to me, almost.

1stStrike

Banned
snack said:
What are the tank sweet spots? Seems different than in Bad Company 2.

The vent on the back, or on top if you get a laser guided javelin to hit it.

A shot in the ass on the right spot = instant disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom