• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanbeast

1stStrike said:
I run with guided shell and javelin. I'm always waiting for people to deploy a SOFLAM, but nobody ever does D:

However! I'm going to be unlocking the 3rd seat in tanks today and this will allow me to laser targets for the tank driver... I can even change them over to thermal vision and such.

3rd seat in tanks? What?

derdriu

Sorry for the off topic but has anyone tried the crack you can install for BF3 multiplayer, that lets you play your legal bought game without Origin?
And if so, is it safe and does the game run ok?

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Heat seekers: fire the first rocket to get enemy aircraft to deploy flares, then fire the second. After reloading, one more rocket should disable and the other should destroy them

Whoever wrote this in the doc is wrong. 1 heli heatseeker does about 48% dmg, and a jet disables at 50%

Also, after using flare you cant lock on for 1-2 seconds. You are better off firing both in case they don't have flare and reloading if you ask me, because in a few days most of jet users will swap from flares to extinguisher.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Are favorite servers on Battlelog acting funny for anyone else? Before today I had only Favorited about 4 servers. Now when I hit Favorites on Battlelog I see a ton of them in there. Some I've never heard of.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
1stStrike said:
Behold, the power of the CITV station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvpuEKcOac

Notice how many people are in the tank. The guy doing the lock-ons in that video is in the CITV station. The tank driver is using guided shell.

Note the guy is kind of a newb just sitting out there in the middle of nowhere, but with a good team you're basically a moving fortress.
Wow. I can kind of see why they are buffing jets. They're pretty low on the food chain right now.

Nekrono

RbBrdMan said:
Are favorite servers on Battlelog acting funny for anyone else? Before today I had only Favorited about 4 servers. Now when I hit Favorites on Battlelog I see a ton of them in there. Some I've never heard of.
Same here.

Kyaw

Flying helicopters and dying in them makes me filled with rage.

When the whole enemy team is fuelled to take you down, there's nothing you can do against many stinger lock ons, jets and AA... apart from not taking off.

Zeppelin

Guys, I just shot down a fucking plane with a shell guided from a SOFLAM with my tank. There is something incredibly awesome about that.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ikuu said:
Knifing is super shit in this game, not sure why I even bother going for it.

Definitely, only the stealth kills from behind work (most) of the time. It says I have 60 knife kills, so there's probably been at least 500 attempts haha.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kyaw said:

When the whole enemy team is fuelled to take you down, there's nothing you can do against many stinger lock ons, jets and AA... apart from not taking off.

That is not worst than hopping into a heli with a newbie pilot who takes off, instantly lists then bails when he realizes he has no idea what to do, and kills everyone inside.

1stStrike

Banned
WTB a gunner for my tank. Seriously, all i get are shit gunners that don't fucking spot, and when I do spot they don't fucking shoot. Yet, any other time while I'm driving around they're just HAMMERING that machine gun giving away my position.

Oh, and when I'm in the middle of a fight with a tank what do they do? They fire their machine gun at the other tank. Then they bail when I take damage, instead of fucking repairing me.

So tired of this shit.

The last time I had a good gunner that actually repaired me I went 19 - 0 and had MVP. Since then, it's been nothing but shit players and my score has reflected that (you're not a one man army in a tank - you need support).

snack said:
What are the tank sweet spots? Seems different than in Bad Company 2.

They're pretty much the same, though a little different. Top damage is weakest, but a single RPG to the rear will disable. Angle of the shot plays into it as well.

I'm almost certain that shots aimed at the tread/wheels of vehicles will disable faster, though I don't have a way to prove it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anton Sugar said:
They're pretty much the same, though a little different. Top damage is weakest, but a single RPG to the rear will disable. Angle of the shot plays into it as well.

I'm almost certain that shots aimed at the tread/wheels of vehicles will disable faster, though I don't have a way to prove it.

Is top damage weakest? I thought the top to bottom damage is higher, hence the flight path of a guided rocket.

AndyD said:
Is top damage weakest? I thought the top to bottom damage is higher, hence the flight path of a guided rocket.

Sorry, I meant weakest as in, the tank's armor is weakest.

Ikuu said:
It's nothing to do with that, it's just terrible.

What do you mean? I haven't had much problem getting knife kills. Player needs to pretty much not be moving and you have to knife from behind. It bugs out a few times. There might even be a"sweet spot" to knife someone from the side.

Knifing from the front is idiotic and just shouldn't be done.

.nimrod

Kyaw said:

Your team needs to at least keep two flags for the helos to be effective.
Also, don't fly more than half way towards the enemy base unless your team has almost all flags.

Kyaw

.nimrod said:
Your team needs to at least keep two flags for the helos to be effective.
Also, don't fly more than half way towards the enemy base unless your team has almost all flags.

Yeah, we lost all the flags by about half way. ><

I try not to fly more than half way towards the enemy base.

Shame though because the choppers are very fun to fly.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Ikuu said:
Knifing is super shit in this game, not sure why I even bother going for it.

You mean takedowns or head-on knife attacks? I actually like the knife takedowns and it's something that's balanced but fun.

For head-on hits, it will take two hits if I'm not mistaken...which is understandable. Why knife someone head-on, right?

I did manage to kill a few with knife swipes though, but I like the takedowns better. There's something visceral about it that makes me yell "Take that motherfucker!" whenever I do it.

Anyone does that, too?

iam220

Glassboy said:
Does anyone think they should tone down the amount of rockets that an Engineer starts with? Seems like it would cut down on a lot of rocket spam. I can't believe that I said that, because I mainly play as an engineer, but i think the game would be better for it.

A better solution I think would be to cut down the amount of damage rockets do vs infantry.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with this, but on certain infantry focused maps they're way too effective.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Anton Sugar said:
Sorry, I meant weakest as in, the tank's armor is weakest.

What do you mean? I haven't had much problem getting knife kills. Player needs to pretty much not be moving and you have to knife from behind. It bugs out a few times. There might even be a"sweet spot" to knife someone from the side.

Knifing from the front is idiotic and just shouldn't be done.

You can knife someone who's moving as long as they're not facing you. I've done it countless times while chasing someone. :)

Side knife animation also works pretty much the same as from the back. Just don't knife them on their face from the side and it will work.

Also, has anyone tried knifing someone from the back and you aim at their feet? What will happen? I think I remember seeing a knife animation where the player sweeps the enemy off their feet before stabbing them. Has anyone seen that yet?

And yeah, I agree. Knifing someone commando style from the front is just weird. You deserve to die if you try and do that.

belvedere

Junior Butler
excaliburps said:
And yeah, I agree. Knifing someone commando style from the front is just weird. You deserve to die if you try and do that.

No way. There's been more than a few times where I've gotten into one of those hilarious jump/shoot/reload battles with an enemy and instead of waiting to reload I rushed his ass and stabbed him. Worked great in BC2. Is impossible in BF3 lol.

1stStrike

Banned
Pet peeve #356: People that stand in the base waiting on vehicles.

"Well, I want to fly the helicopter. I'm not going to move until the helicopter spawns."

*guy flying the helicopter doesn't die*

*teammate(s) stands in our spawn THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME*

This is nothing new to the battlefield series, but it still drives me apeshit.

I'm trying to cap tanks, but just because there's no tanks available doesn't mean I'm just going to stand there in the spawn till one appears.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
1stStrike said:
Pet peeve #356: People that stand in the base waiting on vehicles.

"Well, I want to fly the helicopter. I'm not going to move until the helicopter spawns."

*guy flying the helicopter doesn't die*

*teammate(s) stands in our spawn THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME*

This is nothing new to the battlefield series, but it still drives me apeshit.

I'm trying to cap tanks, but just because there's no tanks available doesn't mean I'm just going to stand there in the spawn till one appears.

Holy shit! That happened to me in Kharg! Friggin' teammates were all waiting for the chopper and jets to spawn and there were about 4 of us attacking flags! Such asshats deserve their own Ribbon, no? The Noobcock Ribbon!

They can huddle up with useless recons, people who don't go after objectives, don't offer med/ammo and whatnot.

iam220

Played 64 CQ metro yesterday. Not sure what the fuss is all about, it was actually pretty fun. It did get chocked a bit on the escalators but that's when I brought out the c4 ... good times. That highway map was also fun w/o the lag, so I'm not getting all the "terrible maps" complaints there's fun to be had here on every single of one them.

excaliburps said:
You mean takedowns or head-on knife attacks? I actually like the knife takedowns and it's something that's balanced but fun.

For head-on hits, it will take two hits if I'm not mistaken...which is understandable. Why knife someone head-on, right?

I did manage to kill a few with knife swipes though, but I like the takedowns better. There's something visceral about it that makes me yell "Take that motherfucker!" whenever I do it.

Anyone does that, too?

I fucking LOVE knifing in this game, at least when it works. IMO, the animation/"must sneak up" mechanic is the best implementation.

As exciting as it is to do, it's equally kinda terrifying/jarring when you're playing and suddenly lose control and watch as you get knifed.

Good vid explaining air radar.

iam220

Yeah, knifing in this game is great. It's really "personal", like the embrace of death, which is exactly what you want after you've sneaked behind that camping sniper. So satisfying.

Arment

I tried out the IR sight today. It is indeed pretty awesome. Strap that sucker on to a F2000 and you are a death machine.

Kyaw said:

How do you feel about jets crashing into you?

But what people in choppers has done against my stingers is go very low, it usually hits a building or something instead of the chopper then.

This game infuriates me.

Hitting a guy SEVEN times with an M4 (single-shot with hash marks indicating hits) at mid-range, only for the fucker to turn around and gun me down with a G36C at full-auto in a fraction of a second is trash.

Victrix

*beard*
WoodenLung said:
How do you feel about jets crashing into you?

Went a round in the Huey with two gunners and two Engineers repairing - we were essentially indestructible. Stinger damage was repaired instantly, and the gunners mowed anyone down dumb enough to pop out near us.

We were only taken out when someone on the other team got so frustrated they hopped in a jet and rammed into us from above.

Noaloha

Tempted to try out guided missiles on Tank... super-hesitant to lose my HMG.

Also, I had amazing fun last night trying out Rush (which I am fucking awful at -- far too suicidal). When attacking, begin any new pair of objectives as recon, Solid Snake your way to a point ~50m *between* both MCOMs and hide a spawn beacon in the open (but hidden, obvs). Then proceed to spawn in on your beacon as an Assault equipped with smoke grenades. Pick an objective right as you deploy (ie. airborn, spotting what you can), lay cloudy waste to it with your underslung then jump in and arm. Revel in the mayhem. It's hit and miss, but fuck it's exciting.

Gui_PT

The Antitype said:
This game infuriates me.

Hitting a guy SEVEN times with an M4 (single-shot with hash marks indicating hits) at mid-range, only for the fucker to turn around and gun me down with a G36C at full-auto in a fraction of a second is trash.

Oh god tell me about it

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anton Sugar said:
I fucking LOVE knifing in this game, at least when it works. IMO, the animation/"must sneak up" mechanic is the best implementation.

As exciting as it is to do, it's equally kinda terrifying/jarring when you're playing and suddenly lose control and watch as you get knifed.

Yep. No stupid knife lunges like other games where you cant take someone down with a machine gun to the face if they are knifing you. Here you actually have to work at it to knife someone successfully. Its so satisfying seeing someone try to knife you and you unload on them. I think I only have 1 knife kill, but I have taken down quite a few potential knifers.

Also, why does the game not reward big achievements like winning a conquest round by less than 5-10 tickets. There have been many a time when we get down to 5-10 each team and we eek out like 2-0 or 4-0. So satisfying. They should give an extra 500 for that. Close call ribbon or something.

Toodles said:
Tempted to try out guided missiles on Tank... super-hesitant to lose my HMG.

Also, I had amazing fun last night trying out Rush (which I am fucking awful at -- far too suicidal). When attacking, begin any new pair of objectives as recon, Solid Snake your way to a point ~50m between both MCOMs and hide a spawn beacon in the open (but hidden, obvs). Then proceed to spawn in on your beacon as an Assault equipped with smoke grenades. Pick an objective right as you deploy, lay cloudy waste to it with your underslung then jump in and arm. Revel in the mayhem. It's hit and miss, but fuck it's exciting.

It sucks because in the time you lock on to somebody you could have put a shot on target. It also has very short range so I don't see the point.

Victrix said:
Went a round in the Huey with two gunners and two Engineers repairing - we were essentially indestructible. Stinger damage was repaired instantly, and the gunners mowed anyone down dumb enough to pop out near us.

We were only taken out when someone on the other team got so frustrated they hopped in a jet and rammed into us from above.

Yeah pretty sure that was me. :p

Wasn't even on purpose, was just trying to shoot you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom