• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
rar said:
can anyone explain to me how this guy got 10000 points in this game? it's jcooper0101, he was just sniping and he went 17-1, but kills are only 100 points, so that's 1700

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/2053921/1/335420894/

Just click on his name and look at the stats at the bottom of the page. It's all recon score. Remember, you get headshot bonuses, plus range bonuses (which can be hundreds of points), spot/spawn beacon bonuses, etc.

The Antitype said:
This game infuriates me.

Hitting a guy SEVEN times with an M4 (single-shot with hash marks indicating hits) at mid-range, only for the fucker to turn around and gun me down with a G36C at full-auto in a fraction of a second is trash.

Sounds like lag, unless you want to admit to having worse aim (he could have gotten headshots on you). I think the M4A1 wipes the floor with the G36C--I love it.

rar

Anton Sugar said:
Just click on his name and look at the stats at the bottom of the page. It's all recon score. Remember, you get headshot bonuses, plus range bonuses (which can be hundreds of points), spot/spawn beacon bonuses, etc.

oh, i didn't know you get points for range and beacons.

to me it seems like too much for someone who camped on a rock the whole game while us assault people actually tried to arm the mcoms, but didn't get any points for it

Noaloha

PjotrStroganov said:
It sucks because in the time you lock on to somebody you could have put a shot on target. It also has very short range so I don't see the point.
I've played around a lot with the open-air spawn/parachute thing -- I can say categorically that I'm awful at hitting people on the ground with my regular gun (anti-infantry rockets are awesome). SMoke grenades are great though; you have plenty of time to knock two clouds out, three if you get your first off early. It just turns the MCOM into a blind death bubble as you land in. THe biggest trick is positioning the spawn the perfect distance away so you land right on target without dicking around mid-air turning.

EDIT: Just realised (thanks to 1stStrike's comment below) that you were referring to the tank upgrade option, and that my puzzled explanatory should never have been so puzzled. *shame* I appreciate the feedback.

And yeah, as someone who sadly only plays with randoms, effective guided shells on tanks might be a pipe-dream. I do satisfyingly well in tanks in this game, but a lot of that is purely on staying super-frosty with my own guns in the vicinity as I roll into the next cap-point in a map's circuit. I'm hesitant to rely on random squad #63 to make my attachments count.

excaliburps said:
You mean takedowns or head-on knife attacks? I actually like the knife takedowns and it's something that's balanced but fun.

For head-on hits, it will take two hits if I'm not mistaken...which is understandable. Why knife someone head-on, right?

I did manage to kill a few with knife swipes though, but I like the takedowns better. There's something visceral about it that makes me yell "Take that motherfucker!" whenever I do it.

Anyone does that, too?

Yeah I really enjoy the assassinations.

The cool down for the knife swipes could be a little shorter and the animations better though. Waiting for the swipe cooldown when trying to takeout fencing is irritating.

It also never fails, I'm ready to assassinate and they almost always turn around and then I'm stuck there with the knife pulling my pud. :/

1stStrike

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
It sucks because in the time you lock on to somebody you could have put a shot on target. It also has very short range so I don't see the point.

It only sucks if you're not using it right. With the right squad manning a tank it makes you a death machine raining projectiles on choppers, jets and other tanks.

You don't need a LMG/HMG when you can just use a laser guided shell to one shot a helicopter. The guy in the gunner seat can take out infantry, and the guy in the 3rd seat can enable thermal vision as necessary.

It requires team work, like everything else in this game, to be effective. If you think you can just hop into a tank by yourself and go on a rampage with no support, then you're doing it wrong and will likely get blown to pieces unless you're either extremely lucky or against a really shitty team.

J-Rock

Banned
1stStrike said:
The last time I had a good gunner that actually repaired me I went 19 - 0 and had MVP. Since then, it's been nothing but shit players and my score has reflected that (you're not a one man army in Battlefield - you need support).

Fixed. A shame so few use teamwork. Hopefully that will change in the next couple of months.

Kyaw

WoodenLung said:
How do you feel about jets crashing into you?

But what people in choppers has done against my stingers is go very low, it usually hits a building or something instead of the chopper then.

Makes me even madder. :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, after playing a while week, I almost feel like support should get the spawn beacon and recon the C4/claymores.

1stStrike

Banned
J-Rock said:
Fixed. A shame so few use teamwork. Hopefully that will change in the next couple of months.

Hopefully. Right now, it's just leading to frustration for me. I can easily get 2k - 3k points a round just on my tank with a decent gunner, but in all the shit servers I've been in today I'm finishing the round with like 900 - 1400 points total because I'm ending up on all the retard teams.

If there's 4 vehicles, every player will get in their own vehicle and drive off without a gunner/co-pilot.

Ammo/Med packs? Forget it.

Choppers supporting ground troops/tanks? Nope

AA/Mobile AA doing anything useful? Negative

Squads staying together and helping one another out? Nuh-uh

Tanks staying together and teaming up on other tanks/vehicles? Never, cause tanks = invincibility!!

This should be playing whenever I get one of these teams.

Anton Sugar said:
Sounds like lag, unless you want to admit to having worse aim (he could have gotten headshots on you). I think the M4A1 wipes the floor with the G36C--I love it.

Hash marks. I can only judge hits based on a) my reticule over the bad guy and b) the hash marks indicating a hit.

If the game is actively LYING to me, then there's nothing I can do.

The Antitype said:
Hash marks. I can only judge hits based on a) my reticule over the bad guy and b) the hash marks indicating a hit.

If the game is actively LYING to me, then there's nothing I can do.

Well, the M4 DOES require 5-7 shots to kill at range. It's not the greatest long range weapon. It's also possible he had a health pack nearby, they weren't body hits. Or it could just be pure jank.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
UMP + IRNV + Flashlight + Silencer is so good, makes me wish I'd got it in the Beta =(

Circle T

Quick question:

When you are piloting the MAV, or using the SOFLAM, and spotting enemies, are the spot callouts from my guy only heard by my team, or can they be heard by any enemies nearby? After recently unlocking the MAV, I've been primarily going near a capture point and hiding, and then deploying it to go on spot patrol. I just didn't know if anyone who happens to come near my hiding spot can hear my callouts, or if that only plays over the radio for my team.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
1stStrike said:
Hopefully. Right now, it's just leading to frustration for me. I can easily get 2k - 3k points a round just on my tank with a decent gunner, but in all the shit servers I've been in today I'm finishing the round with like 900 - 1400 points total because I'm ending up on all the retard teams.

If there's 4 vehicles, every player will get in their own vehicle and drive off without a gunner/co-pilot.

Ammo/Med packs? Forget it.

Choppers supporting ground troops/tanks? Nope

AA/Mobile AA doing anything useful? Negative

Squads staying together and helping one another out? Nuh-uh

Tanks staying together and teaming up on other tanks/vehicles? Never, cause tanks = invincibility!!

This should be playing whenever I get one of these teams.

Yeah, sadly, I don't see that being rectified soon. :(

People really are asshats for some reason. Either that or they're dumb fucks who don't give a shit. I mean the game even shows you via screen prompts how to throw out ammo, meds, etc.

Randoms are just hopeless. That's why when I get to play with a random that's remotely good, I add them in my friends list right away.
------------------------------------------

Played the campaign today and immediately started on Hard. Is it just me or is the computer AI just a cheap, aimbot? Assholes can hit me even when I sneak a peek or whatnot.

I did love the jet mission though...overall, I'm quite liking it. Definitely no match for BioShock or other narrative-based FPS', but as a "bonus?" Not bad...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Deadly said:
Old already. I wonder if EA will respond with something though. I have to admit I'm definitely tempted to try it out, Origin takes so long to load.
I load it at boot and the window auto-minimizes after less than 2 seconds. If it takes you significantly longer than that you might want to figure out what the problem is.

&Divius said:
Finally unlocked all the co-op weapons. Anything good in there, like the G3A3 or SG553?

93R burst pistol is pretty sweet.

Calavera520 said:
can anyone describe a good control setup for jets and helicopters. is there a good way to configure the xbox 360 controller on pc for air vehicles?

default scheme worked fine for the most part, I just remapped the face buttons for the utility I needed but left the flight controls as is.

snack

Now that TDM spawns are fixed, who wants to play some tonight with me? We can squad up! I'm in the pacific by the way. Shoot me up with a PM and let's do this.

*PEW PEW PEW*

Rainy Dog

Early weapon damage chart showing actual damage values per bullet for each gun etc.

Looks like I thought it would unfortunately, with nowhere near the individuality of BC2's weapons. Very little balance either with the F2000 being outright better than the other AR's due to rate of fire advantage plus low recoil, and some guns just plain bottom of the barrel (the AK's due to slow rates of fire but no extra damage).

Poor show from Dice.

Edit: The AKS-74u does actually kill in one less bullet at range than the M4, but that still doesn't make up for the 150rpm slower rate of fire plus greater recoil. The AK-47M, AN94 and RPK are just blatantly underpowered compared to the other guns in their class.

Not sure about the SCAR. It's recoil is considerably greater than the other Engi guns so it does need to be more powerful. The PP2000 is terrible, should be 34 at point black range as should the UMP.

Hopefully they just didn't have time to fine tune and will do over the coming weeks.

buhdeh

Does anyone know how to reduce the mouse sensitivity in vehicles? It feels fine when I'm on foot but once I get into a gunner seat or something the sensitivity goes insane

I wish there were more weapons actually. Doing the grind to unlock the same (but faction unlocked) weapons isn't too appealing to me - especially compared to the excitement of getting something new. And I don't want to play coop for a few new toys either.

iam220

Rainy Dog said:
Poor show from Dice.

Agreed, G3A3 seems to be the only "true" assault weapon, good at both close and long ranges but I need to unlock it by grinding in a mode I have absolutely no interest in. sigh.

On the upside, it's all just game variables and something that can and will be adjusted for upcoming patches. Although I expected a better first draft.

Atomski

The Antitype said:
This game infuriates me.

Hitting a guy SEVEN times with an M4 (single-shot with hash marks indicating hits) at mid-range, only for the fucker to turn around and gun me down with a G36C at full-auto in a fraction of a second is trash.
Hardcore mode is your solution.

cory021

Neo Member
So an awesome Halo-gaffer decided to give me his copy of Battlefield 3 (for the xbox). I'm told that I need to get a code in order to play multiplayer. Does this code apply to entire Xbox so I won't have to get multiple codes for multiple gamertags?

Woorloog

Banned
About tank guided shells: Start with one, then immediatly after firing switch to standard round and fire. Two hits within a second will have a good chance of disabling enemy tank. Works only if you manage to surprise the opponent though, if he spots you while locking on, forget about it unless it is almost ready.

BadTaste

All I use now is the RPK-74M after unlocking it while using the M60.

It's pretty deadly, wasn't it a starting weapon for the Russians? I find it better than all the other LMG's.

Also it only let's me use Bipod, even though I have Foregrip to select too -.-

blahness

cory021 said:
So an awesome Halo-gaffer decided to give me his copy of Battlefield 3 (for the xbox). I'm told that I need to get a code in order to play multiplayer. Does this code apply to entire Xbox so I won't have to get multiple codes for multiple gamertags?

nope one code per gamertag

The Antitype said:
This game infuriates me.

Then on the killcam he has like 90% health!

1stStrike said:
It only sucks if you're not using it right. With the right squad manning a tank it makes you a death machine raining projectiles on choppers, jets and other tanks.

You don't need a LMG/HMG when you can just use a laser guided shell to one shot a helicopter. The guy in the gunner seat can take out infantry, and the guy in the 3rd seat can enable thermal vision as necessary.

It requires team work, like everything else in this game, to be effective. If you think you can just hop into a tank by yourself and go on a rampage with no support, then you're doing it wrong and will likely get blown to pieces unless you're either extremely lucky or against a really shitty team.

I didn't know you could use it against air targets. I've tried it but I guess it wasn't within range. And the 3rd seat, does the driver have to have that unlocked or can a co-driver also use it when he has it unlocked? I haven't unlocked it yet and never saw it being used.

And doing it wrong isn't that hard if your team is actually sucky or playing on a stupid map rotation like gaf or eurogaf.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Rainy Dog said:
Early weapon damage chart showing actual damage values per bullet for each gun etc.

Looks like I thought it would unfortunately, with nowhere near the individuality of BC2's weapons. Very little balance either with the F2000 being outright better than the other AR's due to rate of fire advantage plus low recoil, and some guns just plain bottom of the barrel (the AK's due to slow rates of fire but no extra damage).

Poor show from Dice.

Edit: The AKS-74u does actually kill in one less bullet at range than the M4, but that still doesn't make up for the 150rpm slower rate of fire plus greater recoil. The AK-47M, AN94 and RPK are just blatantly underpowered compared to the other guns in their class.

Not sure about the SCAR. It's recoil is considerably greater than the other Engi guns so it does need to be more powerful. The PP2000 is terrible, should be 34 at point black range as should the UMP.

Hopefully they just didn't have time to fine tune and will do over the coming weeks.

Seems to confirm my thoughts that the M4 is the best engineering weapon! The Scar is getting nerfed, so it falls behind.

Where are the patches for the pc version ?

Red Orchestra 2 came out and immediately got patch after patch daily.

Meanwhile DICE hasn't released a single patch yet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
gibon3z said:

You could argue that a game that requires patch after patch daily was released in an unfinished state. Not sure frequent patches are necessarily a good thing. The only thing I want patched is the crashing party that happened yesterday on servers with the queue implemented.

Menelaus

Banned
gibon3z said:

Technically, PC's day 1 patch was included in the download/retail discs, so they're at 1 patch. Servers have gotten several patches already.

1stStrike

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I didn't know you could use it against air targets. I've tried it but I guess it wasn't within range. And the 3rd seat, does the driver have to have that unlocked or can a co-driver also use it when he has it unlocked? I haven't unlocked it yet and never saw it being used.

And doing it wrong isn't that hard if your team is actually sucky or playing on a stupid map rotation like gaf or eurogaf.

A lot of people seem to be confused on how it works, so let me break it down.

To use the 3rd seat on a tank you, yourself, must have it unlocked. That's 100,000 points to unlock it. As it's a permanent upgrade, you'll be able to use it any time you want from then on out.

The purpose behind the 3rd seat is to assist the driver and gunner. You're spotting targets, you can turn thermal vision on/off for the driver, and most of all - when you aim at something, you're laser designating it which means that the driver, and anyone else that uses guided weaponry, can lock-on to that target.

I just played a game where someone was laser designating tanks. I was on one side of a building, they were on the other. I'd lock-on, shoot OVER the building, and then my shell would fly up and home in on the tank. I got 4 disables and 3 kills without moving an inch, and they had no idea where I was.

And that was with only me in the tank and no gunner or CITV station rider. I rarely have a gunner, because everyone just hops in the tank for the ride, then hops out to go... die or something. That's all my squad seemed to do last game while I was topping the scoreboard.

woober

gibon3z said:

I thought they could patch the game through the server side or something like that. I know they've added the queue list for servers back and fixed some rubberbanding issues.

Fake edit: And yes, Day 1 patch was included during the game's launch.

cory021

Neo Member
Kusagari said:
Wow seriously? That's really lame. Way to fuck over people with siblings.
Seriously, wtf. I would have to spend $30 if I'm going to give it as a gift for my brothers and still play some myself. Well, I was thinking about canceling my Xbox Live in a month anyways, so I guess I'll just save $10 + $60 Xbox Live and play BF3 on my brother's account.

woober

Stallion Free said:
They also added in rubberbanding for TDM.

Dice:
30.png

People are really starting to hate me when I jump in a plane. Somebody yelled at me today after shooting him down a ton of times, "What are you, invisible?!"

Yes, yes I am.

I also started the dickish move of wagging side to side after I shoot down an opponent. Drives them crazy.

iam220 said:
Agreed, G3A3 seems to be the only "true" assault weapon, good at both close and long ranges but I need to unlock it by grinding in a mode I have absolutely no interest in. sigh.

On the upside, it's all just game variables and something that can and will be adjusted for upcoming patches. Although I expected a better first draft.

The G3A3 actually kind of sucks. Low ROF is death in this game.

Actually looking at that chart I think dropping the ROF of the SCAR down to 500 from 600 (same as the G3A3) would balance it out fine.

Spl1nter

Interficium said:
The G3A3 actually kind of sucks. Low ROF is death in this game.

Actually looking at that chart I think dropping the ROF of the SCAR down to 500 from 600 (same as the G3A3) would balance it out fine.

The G3 is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom