• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam220

Nome said:
It's unexplored because it's an awful idea.

Blinding a player in a game with light isn't that far off from blinding a player in real life with light. Imagine if they did the same with your other senses. It's an awful precedent.

Sure, if they come up with some granade that makes you temporarily deaf I'd be down with that. It always sucks being on the receiving end be it bullets or flashlights.

I enjoy equipping the light sometimes and doing some close quarter running and gunning.

1stStrike

Banned
spk said:
You can control it from behind cover

As he said - you can deploy the SOFLAM anywhere on the map (high places are usually best) and then connect to it from any other place on the map, so you hardly need to babysit it. Also, it'll automatically lock-on to targets that get within its field of view, so plan accordingly...

The SOFLAM is awesome. If it's not working well, then that's because you're not using it right.

ElyrionX

I think I am beginning to enjoy Tehran. Had some really intense sniping matchups there yesterday.

Also, can someone teach me how to road kill with the MAV? Do you drop on someone vertically or do you have to hit them while flying at them horizontally?

iam220 said:
Sure, if they come up with some granade that makes you temporarily deaf I'd be down with that. It always sucks being on the receiving end be it bullets or flashlights.

I enjoy equipping the light sometimes and doing some close quarter running and gunning.

Isn't that called a flashbang?

And yeah, good games tonight.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Kentpaul said:
is it just me or is Kharg the best map ever?

Yeah, it's pretty darn good. Great balance between vehicles, size of the map in relation to players, good flag positions, etc.

That and Caspian might be my favorite. Fave map for leveling up is Op Metro. Very easy to rack up kills, heals and ammo resupplies. :D

1stStrike

Banned
excaliburps said:
Yeah, it's pretty darn good. Great balance between vehicles, size of the map in relation to players, good flag positions, etc.

That and Caspian might be my favorite. Fave map for leveling up is Op Metro. Very easy to rack up kills, heals and ammo resupplies. :D

As mostly a tank driver, Kharg is a pain in the ass for me. Lots of shit getting in my way, and the terrain is super fucking bumpy/hilly, so it's hard to traverse and find a good spot to setup for some good ol' tank sniping.

It's all about Operation Firestorm, IMO

J-Rock said:
Playing on the 360. Don't see that option sadly.

edit: unless you mean the search option.

You're shit out of luck. Search filter/server choice is a master race only option.

BigJonsson said:
Wow, the campaign was pretty short :p But awesome

How did Dima survive the nuke in Paris?

The first rule about BF3 campaign story is: There is no story!
The second rule about BF3 campaign story is: THERE IS NO STORY!

My guess is that the nuke is not as powerful as one would expect. If I recall correctly, they said that about 70k people died in the incident and that seems to be a quite low number if the explosion would have covered a big area. I guess it was a bomb and it took down a couple of blocks, but it wasn't as big a nuke as usually employed in games... i.e. the MW1 one

KAOz

Short bus special
I need me a good tankdriver on PSN. :(

I mostly work as a spotter and gunner, and only leaving the tank to repair it, so we can keep the maingun operative during that time.

But most people just drive away directly, as soon as I begin repairing. Goddamnit.

Anyone up for the job GAF?

1stStrike

Banned
KAOz said:
I need me a good tankdriver on PSN. :(

I mostly work as a spotter and gunner, and only leaving the tank to repair it, so we can keep the maingun operative during that time.

But most people just drive away directly, as soon as I begin repairing. Goddamnit.

Anyone up for the job GAF?

Sorry bro. I only play on PC this time. =\

J-Rock

Banned
Damn Jets are annoying without flares unlocked. Trying to learn to fly but barely get in the air before I'm taken down by someone locking on with something..

KAOz

Short bus special
1stStrike said:
Sorry bro. I only play on PC this time. =\

Yeah, I know. Bit of a shame there really.

Need some people who know what the fuck they are doing. And I know that I am not good enough on the tank yet to be the main driver. :p Plus, relying on randoms is never, ever, ever, good. So I prefer being spotter and support for the tank, and looking for engineers.

J-Rock said:
Damn Jets are annoying without flares unlocked. Trying to learn to fly but barely get in the air before I'm taken down by someone locking on with something..

Become Squad Leader, set attack/defend marker on the objective, fly around in circles or something. Watch the points roll in towards your jet. You'll unlock the flares in no time.
Makes everything so much easier.

Acidote

Just finished the game last night. Entertaining experience and visually excellent. A bit too short. I made like 200 screenshots during my playthrough hahaha

1stStrike

Banned
KAOz said:
Yeah, I know. Bit of a shame there really.

Need some people who know what the fuck they are doing. And I know that I am not good enough on the tank yet to be the main driver. :p Plus, relying on randoms is never, ever, ever, good. So I prefer being spotter and support for the tank, and looking for engineers.

99% of the time, that is completely fact. However, the last game I played for the night was amazing and it was me driving a tank with a random on the server gunning/repairing. We decimated the other team, and were the top two players with me getting the MVP ribbon.

I friended him right after, as that's a pretty rare occasion. He even left a "damn fine tankin" message on my battlelog wall :D

Oh, and practice makes perfect. Just remember that a tank is strong, but extremely vulnerable. Don't drive into the middle of an urban area and just sit there - you'll end up nailed on multiple sides by infantry, tanks, helicopters, and whatever else they can throw at you.

I try to be extremely careful and get behind my opponents so I can either strike first, or against another tank, disable them before we end up in a fire fight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh thank god, just got the my final ribbon. I think I can retire the game until the BF2 maps come out. My body is ready for some Wake.

KAOz

Short bus special
1stStrike said:
Oh, and practice makes perfect. Just remember that a tank is strong, but extremely vulnerable. Don't drive into the middle of an urban area and just sit there - you'll end up nailed on multiple sides by infantry, tanks, helicopters, and whatever else they can throw at you.

Oh God, a guy I was helping out last night did this. I almost got fucking pissed. He basically took the tank, and drove it right into the enemy's base. And just parked there. While a mass of engineers, supports with C4 and tanks where swarming us.

I just stared in disbelief. He just stood out, in the middle of the fucking open and did this. With buildings housing enemies on both sides of us. Yeah. We didn't last a minute.

I would probably drive the tank myself, if I was comfortable with relying on a squadmate or another one from my team. That way, I could practice, and use, tactics at the same time.

1stStrike said:
You're shit out of luck. Search filter/server choice is a master race only option.

Oh ? How nice that the PS3 is included in this "master race." With the PS3 version the server browser filter allows you pick all kinds of settings. Maps you want to play included.

EDIT: Beat by a mile lol.

def sim

I hope this becomes a trend. Being able to filter servers to Northeast US/Conquest/20+ rather than doing some dumb matchmaking service is too good.

Anyone else feel like the starting rifles are a tad shit in MP? It's taking me forever to level up and unlock shit for the starter rifles because I'm getting pasted in firefights with people who I'm guessing don't have shit weapons.

Yes I realise I'm blaming my tools somewhat.

1stStrike

Banned
KAOz said:
Oh God, a guy I was helping out last night did this. I almost got fucking pissed. He basically took the tank, and drove it right into the enemy's base. And just parked there. While a mass of engineers, supports with C4 and tanks where swarming us.

I just stared in disbelief. He just stood out, in the middle of the fucking open and did this. With buildings housing enemies on both sides of us. Yeah. We didn't last a minute.

I would probably drive the tank myself, if I was comfortable with relying on a squadmate or another one from my team. That way, I could practice, and use, tactics at the same time.

Yeah, a lot of people that drive tanks are retarded. I've even seen them try to do some really stupid shit, like parking their tank on the side of a mountain in broad view of the entire enemy team. The problem with that is - tank shells are super effective if there's a wall behind their target. So, you don't even need a direct hit to damage on this guy. He went down pretty quick.

Another thing - a lot of people get in a tank and just charge on ahead full steam. They almost always meet their demise on land mines doing this. I tend to kind of creep along in my tank - and then when I see a target, I come flying out and strike (thus my name :p).

I recommend playing rounds of conquest on Operation Firestorm since there's so many tanks. When I'm not playing with friends, more often than not I'm buy myself in a tank because none of the dipshits in my team want to get in and help out. I still manage to do quite well since I play smart, though, most of the time.

The biggest thing in a tank - flank your enemy every chance you can get and avoid direct confrontation. Also, equip thermal armor as soon as you get it and use either thermal imaging or zoom. I love thermal for urban combat, but zoom is better for tank on tank combat.

Edit:

@Console server browser: You still don't have servers that are running custom settings, servers that are running limited maps, or even just one map though amirite? Even with the server browser, you're still stuck with servers that run the "standard" config where you're stuck playing all of the maps in the rotation.

demolitio

The SOFLAM doesn't need a buff, it just needs more teammates that have the unlocks to make them useful. I was just in a game where I was in a jet and I had the tone going off the entire game due to the SOFLAM and multiple missiles were fired at the same time to take me down because of it. Even when I escaped, it was so annoying to hear that tone the entire game that I actually wanted to wreck my jet anyway.

Now have that out with me as your teammate in the jet with the laser guided missiles and we could have a really good time since that weapon is slow to lock on even with the specialization for it and it's easily countered by tanks with smoke. If you had a SOFLAM marking it, I can lock on quicker and the tank's smoke does nothing to stop my missile making it really easy for me. Even with people when they unlock the javelin, that quick lock and indirect top-down fire mode makes a huge difference in damage and convenience.

Rahk

ElyrionX said:
I think I am beginning to enjoy Tehran. Had some really intense sniping matchups there yesterday.

Also, can someone teach me how to road kill with the MAV? Do you drop on someone vertically or do you have to hit them while flying at them horizontally?
I've tried dropping vertically on a prone sniper but it seems to do nothing. You need some horizontal motion, pretty much going at full speed. Aim for the middle or top half of their body. I've managed to kill a few prone players by flying forwards at full speed then going slightly downwards when I'm just behind them. It's easiest to kill people who aren't moving, or are moving in a straight line ahead.

Also, since you were looking for some recon tips earlier take a look at some of Sacriel42's sniper videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVTSa5uI8Y

J-Rock said:
Playing on the 360. Don't see that option sadly.

edit: unless you mean the search option.

?

Sever Browser, press RS for Filter and then filter for the maps you want???

just learnt last night how to cook grenades lol. its a godsend.

KAOz said:
Become Squad Leader, set attack/defend marker on the objective, fly around in circles or something. Watch the points roll in towards your jet. You'll unlock the flares in no time.
Makes everything so much easier.

:O

How do you become squad leader? You could just go into a squad by yourself couldn't you?
And to mark shit it's the same button as spotting isn't it?

Daigoro

how do you cook grenades?!

roosters93 said:
How do you become squad leader? You could just go into a squad by yourself couldn't you?

yes and yes.

Well I'm only on 360, k.

Go to throw grenade, after pressing LB hold RT. Release when you wish to release the grenade.

Pretty sure that's right.

Izayoi

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Anyone else feel like the starting rifles are a tad shit in MP? It's taking me forever to level up and unlock shit for the starter rifles because I'm getting pasted in firefights with people who I'm guessing don't have shit weapons.

Yes I realise I'm blaming my tools somewhat.
Assault Rifles are fantastic, dude.

The M16 is definitely better than the AK, but as soon as you start unlocking stuff it just gets better and better. The AEK, F2000, and G3A3 are god weapons.

FStop7

Banned
Kein said:
Anybody encounter an issue where Origin crashes Windows Aero? I cannot have Origin running AT ALL without crashing Windows Aero, and having my pc switch back to basic colors. Win 7 64 bit, Latest Nvidia drivers. I'm really starting to miss my transparencies.

Yes, I disabled Aero because I was so tired of the "Windows has detected slow performance" pop ups.

About weapons, is the A-91 that much better than the SCAR-H?

Ferga

Kylehimself said:
Tactical lights need to go.

especially hate it when i'm playing in Grand bazaar, defending the alley way base in conquest and an ally keeps shining his light on the team's face constantly.

Sometimes i get so mad i just team kill them after asking them to stop

KAOz

Short bus special
roosters93 said:
:O

Easiest, when you're not playing with friends, is joining a basically empty server (I suggest Khark Island, or Operation Firestorm), do it when there is like 1 guy on the server.
You're now Squad Leader. Spawn in jet. Set attack/defense. You get 20-25 points for every attack/defense order followed. Pray that your squadmates aren't retarded.

After unlocking the IR Flares, you don't need to do that anymore, even though it's easier.

1stStrike said:
Useful info

Yeah, will try this out and hope for the best I guess. Sneaking in a tank is always good, and I've always preferred a sneakier approach to everything. Will hopefully unlock some good shit for the tanks soon.

Speaking of sneaky, I had a game of Rush on Metro last night. I was laying to the side of a doorway with my Supportclass, and mowed attackers down. Just hipfiring. Overpowered as fuck. I got a killstreak of 9 or more just laying there. I felt so, cheaty.

Izayoi said:
Assault Rifles are fantastic, dude.

The M16 is definitely better than the AK, but as soon as you start unlocking stuff it just gets better and better. The AEK, F2000, and G3A3 are god weapons.

Yeah, the moment I actually unlocked the ACOG scope for the M16 the game became a lot easier. I think I just need to persevere and unlock some better attachments. It just hurts getting pasting around the shop by people with seemingly blinged out uber rifles.

Izayoi

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Yeah, the moment I actually unlocked the ACOG scope for the M16 the game became a lot easier. I think I just need to persevere and unlock some better attachments. It just hurts getting pasting around the shop by people with seemingly blinged out uber rifles.
Will only take 5-7 hours to unlock everything for Assault, depending on how strong you go at the medic angle.

Or you could just go into a 64 player Metro server and unlock everything in a few rounds.

Enkidu

LabouredSubterfuge said:
It's the downside of the stupid unlock system. Not only do you have unlock the weapons, but you get crappy versions of them that you are then forced to use until they become good. Seriously, just kill all this unlock stuff and give us a limited but more balanced set of weapons. I don't think anyone would complain really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom