• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaNaMa

Banned
mxgt said:
I might just replace my F2000 supressor with a flashlight to become the most annoying player anyone could ever go up against.

On Caspian Border, like in the bright mid day sun, flashlights absolutely devastate.
My rods and cones!! Nevermind that my soldier is wearing shades, nevermind the GIANT BRIGHT ORANGE FLAME IN THE SKY MAKING IT DAY TIME. Someone with a flashlight taped to his gun standing 25m away from me COMPLETELY blinds me with it.

In broad daylight on the sunniest day of the year.

FIX it DICE, WTF.

Rahk

ElyrionX said:
Thanks for the link. Will check it out in a bit.

Also what do you think of attaching the taclight to the sniper rifle? The idea is that since scope glint is going to make you stick out no matter where you are, the taclight would help obscure your upper body and head, making it harder for people to snipe you. It would also help your survivability in close encounters if you get caught off guard. Honestly, it sounds like there is almost no downside to this.
Not sure about that. I think I need a video or something to demonstrate how the sniper glint works. I can't seem to find any hard facts about it like if it only occurs when scoped, if it appears as soon as you scope, if it only glints when you aim at someone etc.

I'm thinking the flashlight would be too bright and noticeable though. The sniper glint is much more subdued, especially in day time maps and from long distances so you'd draw less attention that a flashlight.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
People keep talking about the IRNV, but i have yet to unlock it. Is it something you get in higher weapon or soldier ranks or something? I'm really curious about how OP it is now lol.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Each day i feel my self getting better.. for a time in my last game i was topping the scoreboard, then i got a DC :(

I heard when the game finishes i will get my points ?

I ain't really giving a shit about points, i jumped out mah tank and took down 3 fools at the gas station on kharg.. i was the man!

Nabs

RbBrdMan said:
All this talk of the IRNV makes me want to unlock it so bad just to see what all the fuss is about. Time to grind on the SCAR since I'm the closest with that gun.
Hurry up before DICE does something about it. Play some TDM and use it with a flashlight just to piss people off. It's unbelievable. You'll run out of ammo every few min.

Confidence Man said:
They could add in a stealth camo option so you blend into the background instead of glow.

Think it would be best to simply nerf the crap out of it. Reduce it's effective range for one, it can see anyone from pretty much across the map with no problem. Add more scope sway, longer ADS, more recoil, etc

Enkidu

LabouredSubterfuge said:
No, you change your Origin ID and it changes your soldier ID accordingly.
But why would you need to contact EA support then? You can already change your Origin ID on their site. The reason you'd want a separate Soldier ID is because there are many inactive Origin IDs that were taken years ago so you might not be able to get the one you want.

Rainy Dog said:
I feel like I'm hampering myself if I don't equip the IRNV but, honestly, I don't want to be picking off orange silhouettes on a dark green background either. Such a stupid thing to have in the game.

I sort of agree. I mean, I love the IRNV as a crutch. It's pure hacks and fun to use, but at the same time I love how hard (between the smoke, dust, glare, foliage, camoflague, etc.) it is to see people in this game. Makes the gameplay feel challenging and gritty. But the IRNV pretty much negates all of that. =/

Lowering the effective range it can highlight objects and increasing the ADS sound like reasonable nerfs. Because being able to pick off a guy lying down in a bush 200 meters away is a little broken.

darkwing

PoweredBySoy said:
I sort of agree. I mean, I love the IRNV as a crutch. It's pure hacks and fun to use, but at the same time I love how hard (between the smoke, dust, glare, foliage, camoflague, etc.) it is to see people in this game. Makes the gameplay feel challenging and gritty. But the IRNV pretty much negates all of that. =/

Lowering the effective range it can highlight objects and increasing the ADS sound like reasonable nerfs. Because being able to pick off a guy lying down in a bush 200 meters away is a little broken.
nah, it's a counter to the flashlights and laser sights, irnv are immune to these

Binabik15

How many players are needed to get tha GAF Europe server going?

Downloading the ATI map load fix thingie now. On a quad core I set multithreading to 4, I guess. But there´s 2 lines, do I just put 4 in the first or what?

darkwing said:
nah, it's a counter to the flashlights and laser sights, irnv are immune to these

I think it's good in that sense, but it still is TOO good. It needs to be toned down in how well it works, as right now it has no real disadvantages.

Reposting: NeoGAF BF3 Knowledges. Please contribute if you have any tips!

Striketh/1stStrike, you should write something up on the CITV
grin.gif
I think I got all three of you guys on Op Firestorm last night with my Javelin, felt good
lol.gif

Cudder

Played coop with a friend on hard mode last night and got up to the last mission. The missions are really fun and engaging, even if it is Spec Ops 2.0.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Nabs said:
Hurry up before DICE does something about it. Play some TDM and use it with a flashlight just to piss people off. It's unbelievable. You'll run out of ammo every few min.
LOL This was my thought too. I absolutely hate getting blinded by that thing sounds like fun runing around with it to troll the other team. Muuuahaha.

So I'm trying hard to like the Recon class, although it's making it tough.

Could someone give me a rundown on the MAV? What's this thing do? Is all it for is spotting? It seems like I can do mass-spotting with it (hitting Q), but there also seems to be some sort of cooldown for this ability - although there's no indication of one. Also, if I release control of it, does it just stay hovering in position, and even continue spotting?

I guess I don't like the idea of relinquishing control of my character just to fly around a little spotting drone the whole match.

Can't say I've had trouble against people with the IRNV. I don't use it myself either, I have it unlocked for 4 guns and I used it once. I wasn't too impressed, at first I thought it was great because people stuck out like sore thumbs, but I don't know, it didn't do much for me.

DietRob

Binabik15 said:
How many players are needed to get tha GAF Europe server going?

Downloading the ATI map load fix thingie now. On a quad core I set multithreading to 4, I guess. But there´s 2 lines, do I just put 4 in the first or what?
This didn't work for me. Actually made my game crash everytime I joined a server. I put 4 on the first and second line. Maybe that is why?

The best part about the flashlight is that most people don't ever remember to turn it off, so at mid-range it's a nice little target to shoot at.

Considering it takes up your attachment slot, I don't really mind the light. Yeah it's annoying, but still easy enough to kill the guy.

Kylehimself said:
Can't say I've had trouble against people with the IRNV. I don't use it myself either, I have it unlocked for 4 guns and I used it once. I wasn't too impressed, at first I thought it was great because people stuck out like sore thumbs, but I don't know, it didn't do much for me.

As I'm running I'm constantly turning it on and scanning the field for a brief second. Run, scan, run, scan... And that's just it, with the IRNV it only takes a split second to identify a target, even if it's just some dudes foot sticking out from behind a rock at 50 meters, there it is, bright as day.

Binabik15

Great, got into a server finally, threw a medkit, got points, killed a dude trying to crawl to my buddies (I saw him sprinting by before), got killed in a fight with a sniper. Respawn, grab a lone jeep, get a sqaud spawn on me, get killed by a tank and kicked from the server :/

Steam says that there´s a driver update for for me, dl/ing that now. Got only 35-55 fps on Kharg 64 player Conquest with 2x6950, i5 2500k, 4 gigs of DDR3 1600 RAM and 1050p, everything Ultra, 4xMSAA, Post-AA on medium. I´ll sacrifice HBAO first, I think, to get 60 fps.

PS: Is there a way to have the server browser always sort by ping, I have to click on it again after refreshing and scrolling through down.

PPS: It´s ALWAYS like this, ever since the beta: one slot left, yay *click on it* server full, trollface.jpg

Rainy Dog

darkwing said:

Except it's not really since it only negates flashlights when you're ADS. If you run into someone with a flashlight w/RDS or Holo, you're blinded by the light before it helps as they can ADS quicker than you.

Unless you walk around in ADS, there's not really any situations it'll help counter flashlights unless the flashlight user is also using the IRNV. In which case it's just whoever ADS's quicker than the other.

The game would be better off without either of them in my opinion. They just seem like features that are in there because they're somewhat unique and cause Dice thought they'd be, y'know, 'cool'. This and what the COD games have become makes me yearn for a stripped down less=more approach. Too much of everything and the kitchen sink. I'd much rather have a back to basics experience where memorable map design, vehicle interaction and balanced gunplay were the priority over millions of trivial unlocks, attachments and perks.

CrankyJay

Banned
FStop7 said:
Oh wow, the IRNV sight really is awesome, isn't it?

Yeah, I pretty much use it exclusively.

Maybe turn down the warmth on bodies. Leave vehicles as red because they run hot. Guns should glow red though if they fire constantly.

Seriously though, why get rid of IRNV and then keep rocket spamming?

EVIL

so, what are the current places to get dogtags?

alienware, act of valor trailer, preorder bonus and dr pepper?
I really like the pile of bones dog tag from the pepper promotion, but I am European :(

ruxtpin

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Aye captain. As long as you'll permit my attempts at dive bombing a jet into a tank whilst ejecting and trying to perform a 360 no-scope, you can be on my squad :)

You have my axe.

EVIL said:

I really like the pile of bones dog tag from the pepper promotion, but I am European :(

Yep. I would like that too and would also love preorder bonus-thingy! D:

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Tried to scratch some jet points...

it was me vs a guy in a jet with missiles, zoom, autoloader and god knows what else....

Needless to say I was dead before even a) seeing him, b) staying in the air for more than 5 seconds...

Gah.

PoweredBySoy said:
So I'm trying hard to like the Recon class, although it's making it tough.

Could someone give me a rundown on the MAV? What's this thing do? Is all it for is spotting? It seems like I can do mass-spotting with it (hitting Q), but there also seems to be some sort of cooldown for this ability - although there's no indication of one. Also, if I release control of it, does it just stay hovering in position, and even continue spotting?

I guess I don't like the idea of relinquishing control of my character just to fly around a little spotting drone the whole match.

Ideally you would use it in conjunction with a support who's mortaring.

DietRob

EVIL said:

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the Act of Valor Trailer. I didn't know about that one. If I hear of any new places for dog tags I'll post it up.

Facism

Kylehimself said:

it's great for spotting. Massive team advantage

AndyD

aka andydumi
Corky said:
Tried to scratch some jet points...

it was me vs a guy in a jet with missiles, zoom, autoloader and god knows what else....

Needless to say I was dead before even a) seeing him, b) staying in the air for more than 5 seconds...

Gah.

With jets its easier to jump into an almost empty server. Fewer people means more time/room to maneuver and play around and get the hang of it. And you can still line up nice tank kills without worrying there are 20 enemy engineers to shoot you down.

Binabik15

First full round. got destroyed horribly, I´m talking 230 to 0 tickets. So I sat most of the game in the AA gun on the carrier ship, shot down a jet, a jeep, harrassed a few tanks, spotted like mad and killed two or three guys from across half the map. First step in my quest to destroy every trace of air vehicles.

Feels AA-kay, man.

AndyD

aka andydumi
shagg_187 said:
Yep. I would like that too and would also love preorder bonus-thingy! D:

Can we get the preorder ones without having preordered at Amazon or whatnot? I would love some of those as well. Or do we just steal them when knifing an enemy?

Darklord

Banned
WoodenLung said:
It has crashed a lot for me too the last two days too after having nearly no problems at launch. :/

It must have to do with the queues or something. That's when the issue started, when they added them.

Yoshichan said:
Yeah I even ended up liking Bad Company 2 SP more, haha!

The SP in Bad Company 1 & 2 is great!

This however, was shit. And fuck playing it on hard. I lost count of the amount of time I was shot through walls, locked onto by the enemy even though your team are next to them.

I liked the cut scenes though. There's something about Glen Morshower's voice I really like.

Darklord said:
It must have to do with the queues or something. That's when the issue started, when they added them.

Most server providers are disabling queueing until they work out the issues with the R7 server client.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anton Sugar said:
Reposting: NeoGAF BF3 Knowledges. Please contribute if you have any tips!

Striketh/1stStrike, you should write something up on the CITV
grin.gif
I think I got all three of you guys on Op Firestorm last night with my Javelin, felt good
lol.gif

Congrats. You've got a troll that is deleting everything. Make it to where only certain users/registered users can make changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom