• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm04

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Bwahahahahahaha.

In 15 games I have been on the winning side once. That's 1 time. 1.

Pretty much. Last night I was on a team that lost every match for 2 hours. To top if off, we had less team members as well. Balance shmalance.

J-Rzez said:
Wait what? I'm out of the loop here. How do you find these?

KePoW said:
What third party anti-cheat program?

I joined multiple servers that announced they were using a 3rd party anti cheat, and it was kicking people for aimbots and hacks left and right.

You can't really find them with filters though, just join and hope it has it.

The only downside is that it keeps spamming msgs to the chat box.

StevieP

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Am I the only one getting weird performance with this game?

HD5850 Xtreme. Latest drivers. Last night, I played on Kharg Island with all Ultra, 2xMSAA, Low PAA, Motion Blur on, no Vsync, and averaged like 45FPS, going 35FPS at the very worst. 48 players.

I played again tonight and what the hell. I spawned in a corner of a map with virtually no one in wide vicinity and could BARELY maintain 30FPS. I drop my settings all the way to Medium and it still only gives me like 40FPS. Same server with 48 players too.

Nothing else eating my CPU or GPU either.

Something's funky with ATI's latest driver, I think. I have 2 5850's crossfired and am using the same settings as you (All Ultra, 2xAA - minus the postAA cause I hate blurring) and my performance was silky smooth 60fps the first time I loaded the game with the newest driver.

Subsequently I've seen drops below 30FPS at times (mostly wide-angle stuff like when I'm in a plane/chopper). I also hear my GPUs fans a lot more now. Maybe crossfirex isn't working properly and it's all going on 1 GPU? Do I need to uninstall the previous 11.9 CAP3/CAP4/etc that I've installed? I have no idea.

TheJerit

StevieP said:
Something's funky with ATI's latest driver, I think. I have 2 5850's crossfired and am using the same settings as you (All Ultra, 2xAA - minus the postAA cause I hate blurring) and my performance was silky smooth 60fps the first time I loaded the game with the newest driver.

Subsequently I've seen drops below 30FPS at times (mostly wide-angle stuff like when I'm in a plane/chopper). I also hear my GPUs fans a lot more now. Maybe crossfirex isn't working properly and it's all going on 1 GPU? Do I need to uninstall the previous 11.9 CAP3/CAP4/etc that I've installed? I have no idea.

I think they released new CAP Drivers whenever they put out the official 11.10 on Monday. I would recommend trying that uninstall/install new one's approach first

then again i wouldn't be surprised if there are still some xfire bugs, took a while before bc2 got it worked out. hopefully that won't be the same here.

PaNaMa

Banned
iam220 said:
Well there is no reason why it has to be realistic, BF3 is not a realistic game. That aside, a mag lite =/= a tactical light. My buddy has a cheap tactical light and it really is quite powerful, I remember being easily blinded by it. Having that thing shined in your face really is like looking at the sun.

I'm not going to claim that the way it is implemented in BF3 now is completely realistic, but I feel like its a legit game-play mechanic. I know that games don't typically mess with your senses like that and many gamers hate the idea of it, but I guess I'm able to see it in a different light. (hehe)

You have a point. Tactical light is stronger, yes. And I know the game isn't designed to be OMG REAL/SIM but you know, to a degree it really is priding itself on it's attention to authenticity. They went through great lengths to get the guns looking and sounding legit, the gear, the vehicles are all modeled after real life counterpart. The graphics are meant to be as realistic as possible ..

So no, ok fair enough, gameplay wise it's it's not meant to be a SIM .. i know. But it's meant to look and sound as realistic as possible, but still be a fun game to play. And it is fun. But their implementation of the tactical light (I think) is foolish. Great idea for close quarter combat in tunnels and dark alleys, but it really it quite ridiculous that people are attaching tactical lights in high noon sun because it gives them an advantage!

Example. On Caspian last night, at Capture point C (Forest) an engineer comes running up out of the creek and sees me crouched as I'm ticking down the flag. He puts away his submachine gun, and takes out his pistol from (~30-40 feet) cause it has a flashlight on it -- he knows that "beaming me" with his flashlight means I'll be helpless and firing blind at him.

So he wins the encounter. I think I hit him a couple times, we'll never know cause his flashlight is brighter than a super nova and blinds people from 30 feet in broad daylight.

From a game-player/balance perspective, players putting away assault rifles in broad daylight and taking out their supernova pistols, for medium range encounters -- because their flashlight gives them a huge advantage over a light machine gunner head on -- is folly.

IMO they gotta reel that in a bit.

StevieP

Banned
TheJerit said:
I think they released new CAP Drivers whenever they put out the official 11.10 on Monday. I would recommend trying that uninstall/install new one's approach first

then again i wouldn't be surprised if there are still some xfire bugs, took a while before bc2 got it worked out. hopefully that won't be the same here.

The CAP4 that I see on their driver site still said 11.9 CAP4 as of yesterday...
And I haven't uninstalled CAP3 or CAP4 which I used with 11.9 (I was hoping the 11.10 install did that for me lol - it might have, to be honest)

Divius

Patrick Bateman said:
and then get hit by a missile. :/
I actually had a couple of good gunners who killed some people + I was maneuvering, then while dodging a viper, I had to fly like crazy and ended up near their spawn where a AA took us out. Everyone managed to bail out but I went down with the ship like a true captain would.

RiverBed

Banned
I shot a chopper down with a tank main gun. felt good. Battlefield moment indeed.

PS. isn't there a battle-recorder in the console version?

Divius

Also tried out mines for the first time on Caspian Border. Laid some down near Hilltop and got a triple kill within 2 minutes. I can see why people like using mines. I haven't really played engineer much but I can see why it is considered OP.

iam220

PaNaMa said:
Example. On Caspian last night, at Capture point C (Forest) an engineer comes running up out of the creek and sees me crouched as I'm ticking down the flag. He puts away his submachine gun, and takes out his pistol from (~30-40 feet) cause it has a flashlight on it -- he knows that "beaming me" with his flashlight means I'll be helpless and firing blind at him.

So he wins the encounter. I think I hit him a couple times, we'll never know cause his flashlight is brighter than a super nova and blinds people from 30 feet in broad daylight.

From a game-player/balance perspective, players putting away assault rifles in broad daylight and taking out their supernova pistols, for medium range encounters -- because their flashlight gives them a huge advantage over a light machine gunner head on -- is folly.

It sounds like the guy was just having some fun with you. If he had time to switch to his pistol and take you down than he had plenty of time to just kill you at that range with the his primary weapon.

Not sure if you're playing PC or consoles, but on PC's the tac light as not all that effective, in certain specific situations it does give you an advantage but for the most part It wont do much, which is why I keep seeing fewer and fewer people using it.

Binabik15 said:
What the FUCK is wrong with this game? WHAT? WHAT?!

I shot a guy in the back with the DAO 12 FIVE times from about ten meters and he doesn´t die?! People with Scars go through me in like half a second? I´m ALWAYS on the loosing team?

This isn´t starting pains, I feel like I have been hit over the head and had my fingers broken. WTF. Skill negative -126 and hardly any kills, how can I get WORSE than in the first few rounds. Those last couple of servers weren´t nice to me, at all. I was shown a good ping, but nothing I do has effect.

Happens to me all the time, man-so I sympathise. The only suggestion I can make is to leave a join a new server-sometimes that makes all the difference.

FINALBOSS

Banned
MDavis360 said:
Happens to me all the time, man-so I sympathise. The only suggestion I can make is to leave a join a new server-sometimes that makes all the difference.

That's cause SCAR is severely overpowered right now. It's pretty much the best gun in the game by a mile.

iam220

FINALBOSS said:
That's cause SCAR is severely overpowered right now. It's pretty much the best gun in the game by a mile.

Seriously, does DICE not look at its own weapon stats? How can they be ok with the SCAR being more powerful than any given assault weapon (G3 aside?)

Wait, can someone spell it out for me?

Claymores
AT Mines
Spawn Beacons
Mortar
SOFLAM
T-UGS

Disappear on death: (Or is it when you respawn?)
Claymores?
etc.

DON'T disappear on death:
AT Mines?
etc.

And when do these actually disappear then? Aside from being shot/destroyed of course.

I dont know if this game is clicking for me. The laggy servers, the supernova flashlights and (my perceived) poor hit detection is killing me.

And yeah, its the console version, so its probably on me but still... At least a lot of other folks seem to be enjoying it.

Dave1988

Anton Sugar said:
Think you're right on them dying if you respawn on them...makes sense, now that I think of it.

Actually the T-UGS and Radio Beacon do persist after your death BUT IF AND ONLY IF you respawn as a diffrent class. So for example:

Respawn as Recon = Beacon gets immediately destroyed after you spawn, T-UGS disappear.

Respawn as any other class = Beacon and T-UGS remain.

1stStrike

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
Reposting: NeoGAF BF3 Knowledges. Please contribute if you have any tips!

Striketh/1stStrike, you should write something up on the CITV
grin.gif
I think I got all three of you guys on Op Firestorm last night with my Javelin, felt good
lol.gif

I'll write up something for you to add to it.

Oh, and we were in mumble. I was driving and this is how it went.

*blows up helicopter*

"Strike, you should go back for Anton."

"Meh, too far. Not worth it."

*drives away*

*gets blown up by Anton 2 minutes later*

"YOU SHOULD'VE GONE BACK FOR ANTON"

eek5

Dave1988 said:
Actually the T-UGS and Radio Beacon do persist after your death BUT IF AND ONLY IF you respawn as a diffrent class. So for example:

Respawn as Recon = Beacon gets immediately destroyed after you spawn, T-UGS disappear.

Respawn as any other class = Beacon and T-UGS remain.
That's really dumb. It should be the other way around if anything

Arment

I think the flashlights are fine personally. I've never been in a situation where I went "Wow if it weren't for that flashlight that he sacrificed a slot to use, I'd have killed him dead."

At a distance they're not very useful anyways. And shooting into the light always results in me killing them anyways. I find the laser way more distracting when it hits me directly in the eyes.

If you nerf it, just take it out, because it isn't there to light your way, it's there to mess with your opponent. Most people flip out when they get close to a flashlight, I just aim into the sun and shoot it until it drops.

Moaradin

iam220 said:
Seriously, does DICE not look at its own weapon stats? How can they be ok with the SCAR being more powerful than any given assault weapon (G3 aside?)

They aren't. Dice stated that the SCAR and other engineer guns with the same ammo type are all getting nerfed.

no angel

BannedEpisode said:
I dont know if this game is clicking for me. The laggy servers, the supernova flashlights and (my perceived) poor hit detection is killing me.

And yeah, its the console version, so its probably on me but still... At least a lot of other folks seem to be enjoying it.
Not just you, I feel the same way (360), loved BC2 but I can't get into this at all. And I hate the fact that if I want to see anything in the way of meaningful stats or weapon progression/unlocks I have to log in to battlelog. And I'm shit at sniping. To be honest I get the impression I'm just shit in general which probably isn't helping how I feel about the game.

ncsuDuncan said:
Wait, can someone spell it out for me?

Disappear on death: (when you respawn)
Claymores
SOFLAM
TUGS
Mortar

AT Mines
Spawn Beacons (although if you use your own Spawn Beacon, it will destroy it, after which you just set it again)

iam220

Moaradin said:
They aren't. Dice stated that the SCAR and other engineer guns with the same ammo type are all getting nerfed.

Yeah I know, just wondering how it got past them in the first place.

Arment said:
I think the flashlights are fine personally. I've never been in a situation where I went "Wow if it weren't for that flashlight that he sacrificed a slot to use, I'd have killed him dead."

At a distance they're not very useful anyways. And shooting into the light always results in me killing them anyways. I find the laser way more distracting when it hits me directly in the eyes.

If you nerf it, just take it out, because it isn't there to light your way, it's there to mess with your opponent. Most people flip out when they get close to a flashlight, I just aim into the sun and shoot it until it drops.

PC right? I can actually see it being more of a problem on consoles considering that aiming is harder and encounters tend to be longer. Maybe that's where the majority of complaints about the flash light are coming from. Personally, I blame the "one size fits all" approach to balance.

Moaradin

mxgt said:
Got 2 star in assault, started playing support now and I'm not sure if I like LMG's or not :|

I love the M60 but I seem to get beat by assault and engineer in most gun fights, even in my optimal range. Their accuracy isn't the best without the Bipod and you can't use it in a crutch.

iam220 said:

The 7.62mm guns also have more recoil than the 5.56/equivalent weapons and have a lower magazine capacity. Right now it currently just takes one less bullet to kill someone with the SCAR/G3 vs most of the other assault rifles/carbines.

If they nerf it too much, there will literally be no reason to use a gun like the SCAR that has more recoil, less ammo, and takes the same amount of shots to kill as low recoil/higher capacity guns like the M4 or F2000.

They should balance the 7.62mm guns in other ways--if they kill in the same amount of shots as the 5.56mm guns, they lose all value. Add more recoil, less accuracy, etc. I think giving it less damage is a bad idea.

1stStrike said:
I'll write up something for you to add to it.

Oh, and we were in mumble. I was driving and this is how it went.

*blows up helicopter*

"Strike, you should go back for Anton."

"Meh, too far. Not worth it."

*drives away*

*gets blown up by Anton 2 minutes later*

"YOU SHOULD'VE GONE BACK FOR ANTON"

lol.gif

So YOU blew up my chopper! Good times, still want to give that a try with you but I haven't unlocked guided shells yet.

meppi

no angel said:
Not just you, I feel the same way (360), loved BC2 but I can't get into this at all. And I hate the fact that if I want to see anything in the way of meaningful stats or weapon progression/unlocks I have to log in to battlelog. And I'm shit at sniping. To be honest I get the impression I'm just shit in general which probably isn't helping how I feel about the game.
Trust me, it gets better the more you play it.

I've enjoyed BC2 for over 400 hours and the BF3 beta turned me off in a huge way.
Lots has changed however, even though there are still issues right now that need to be taken care of.
But once you start adapting to the new game, you are able to do pretty much all the kind of crazy shit you were able to pull of in BC2.
And on top of that you get a whole new box of toys to play with as well.
All it really takes is time and a bit of patience.
Once it does click, it's hard going back though.

Epic 32 man basejump.

Also, Seven Ways BF3 is improving (blog post):

1) QUICK MATCH FUNCTIONALITY
Status: Improved! Try it out and leave your feedback on the Battlelog forums

Since we rolled out the server patch yesterday, we have seen a big increase in quick match functionality on consoles. You should now be able to join a quick match the majority of times without any issues.

However, please make sure to check that you are matched against servers in your own region by following this guide for the console server browser. If not, this could potentially have a negative impact on lag and rubber banding. We will keep working on improving the quick match stability and reliability further.

2) JOINING SQUADS AND STAYING THERE

Some people have experienced difficulties joining and staying in squads on console. We have identified the cause of this problem and will hopefully have a fix ready to roll out very soon. You should then be able to stay together in your squad throughout the game. Please follow this guide for how to create and join squads prior to starting a match, which is the quickest and most reliable way to make sure you play with the right people in the right game. We will return tomorrow with an update on when this fix is live.

3) HARDCORE SERVER AVAILABILITY
Status: Improved! Try it out and leave your feedback on the Battlelog forums

We know you love your hardcore mode. We have identified and eliminated the problem that made our hardcore servers disappear after being live for a set period of time. You should now find plenty of Hardcore servers to join.

4) LAG AND RUBBER BANDING
Status: Fix just rolled out. We are positive this will improve the situation. Help us verify by playing Caspian Border and Tehran Highway on Conquest!

Some users are experiencing lag and rubber banding, mostly tied to Conquest mode on Tehran Highway and Caspian Border. This was due to a bug in the network code that has been identified and eliminated in today’s console server patch, resulting in a big improvement in these cases. For PC, this issue was improved in an earlier server patch.

However, please make sure to check that you are matched against servers in your own region by following this guide for the console server browser. If not, this could potentially have a negative impact on lag and rubber banding. We will keep working on improving the quick match stability and reliability further.

5) DEFAULT REGION SETTING IN SERVER BROWSER

Some players, mostly in the US, may have had their default region setting in the server browser set to Europe, which would lead to unnecessary lag and rubber banding. This would incorrectly also affect your quick match attempts. This will be fixed shortly. You can still manually use the server browser and set the desired server region to any region you want.

You might also want to follow this guide for how to best take advantage of the features in the console server browser. That way, you have total control over what game mode and map to join, and on what server.

6) GAME STABILITY
Status: Greatly improved! Leave your feedback on the Battlelog forums

In today’s server patch, we also made numerous fixes to the overall game stability, including the elimination of two of the most frequent game crashed we have seen reports on. You should see an increase in game stability from now on.

7) ORIGIN INSTALLATION AND AUTHENTICATION ISSUES

Since the launch of Battlefield 3, Origin have implemented a host of improvements and will continue to do so as long as gamers are playing Battlefield 3. The next Origin update is scheduled for early November and includes a number of critical updates that will fix most of the problems that people have experienced. For the latest updates, answers, and support from the Origin Team, please visit the Origin Help Center.

The Origin Team will continue to appreciate any and all feedback and will address it as quickly as possible. Please go to the Origin Help Center for support directly relating to Origin.

1stStrike

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
lol.gif

So YOU blew up my chopper! Good times, still want to give that a try with you but I haven't unlocked guided shells yet.

I blew up a lot of choppahs yesterday :p

Play some Operation Firestorm and it won't take long to unlock 'em. We can still play together - I'll be your gunner so you have someone that's not a retard and will actually repair you and shoot enemies :p

Also, added a comment about the CITV station to the spreadsheet so you can integrate that in.

One thing to note about CITV: It takes A LOT of coordination. You need a gunner that can quickly find and kill enemies - he's basically protecting you while the driver and CITV station guy are locking onto targets - and he needs to be an engineer so he can repair as well.

It took some getting used to last night, but we were calling out targets, which side of the tank they were on, etc. Really intense, especially when the other team starts focus firing you lol.

MarshMellow96 said:
I think you need to go on Battlelog to see anything like that.

That sucks as it won't log in from my iPad. They say there is a mobile Battlelog but I can't find it. I want to see my gun stats like in BC2.

Edit: it will sign in from my iPad but I still want a dedicated app.

iam220 said:

Well the SCAR-H is an 7.62 assault rifle, it really is more powerful in real life to many of the the assault classes rifles. The SCAR-H should have been an assault weapon, while the SCAR-L should really have been the gun they put in for engineers.

Megasoum

Banned
Anton Sugar said:

I tweeted back to him to ask about PC Squad improvement... obviously no answer (I don't expect any)... The Squad management is terrible on PC. The fact that you can't create squad and you can't have more than 4 people in them is really bad. I was stuck out of squads often because 2 guys go in a squad and lock it making it impossible for everybody to join a squad...

I just think that anybody that is in a battlelog party should get into an automatic squad... If I make a party with my friends it's because I want to play with them! Same thing could apply with platoons (Automatic squads with the platoon's name for all the members).

PoweredBySoy said:
Disappear on death: (when you respawn)
Claymores
SOFLAM
TUGS
Mortar

AT Mines
Spawn Beacons (although if you use your own Spawn Beacon, it will destroy it, after which you just set it again)
Thanks!

iam220

Moaradin said:
I love the M60 but I seem to get beat by assault and engineer in most gun fights, even in my optimal range. Their accuracy isn't the best without the Bipod and you can't use it in a crutch.

IMO assault should be able to beat out support weapons at every range, unless of course you have your bipod out. Engi should be able to beat out support in close ranges.

Anton Sugar said:
The 7.62mm guns also have more recoil than the 5.56/equivalent weapons and have a lower magazine capacity. Right now it currently just takes one less bullet to kill someone with the SCAR/G3 vs most of the other assault rifles/carbines.

If they nerf it too much, there will literally be no reason to use a gun like the SCAR that has more recoil, less ammo, and takes the same amount of shots to kill as low recoil/higher capacity guns like the M4 or F2000.

They should balance the 7.62mm guns in other ways--if they kill in the same amount of shots as the 5.56mm guns, they lose all value. Add more recoil, less accuracy, etc. I think giving it less damage is a bad idea.

Recoil can only do so much, at range you're likely doing small burst or single fire, so recoil does not really have much weight there. They do need to balance out the engineer guns but if they make them anywhere near as powerful as the assault guns (especially at range) than they're doing it wrong.

Currently the Engineer class beats out the assault class in every map. On the bigger open maps, its no contest as the engi has the ability to take down and repair vehicles as well as possess a weapon that goes toe-to-toe with (if not flat out superior) any assault rifle. On the infantry focused maps, its a much closer call but I'd still give the advantage to engi. They're rocket launcher is actually more effective than the assaults grenade launcher, and in order for assault to even use the grenade launcher they need to drop their most valuable tool, the health kit.

Bottom line is that engis should be the bane of vehicles , not infantry. VS infantry they need to suck a lot more than they do now. They got it right in BC2.

BattleMonkey said:
Well the SCAR-H is an 7.62 assault rifle, it really is more powerful in real life to many of the the assault classes rifles. The SCAR-H should have been an assault weapon, while the SCAR-L should really have been the gun they put in for engineers.

Well if they want to balance out the weapons based on their effectiveness in real life (not a good idea IMO unless you're doing a sim) than yes, they should give the most effective ones to the assault class.

Really interesting that the SOFLAM stays after death too, so as a Recon is always important to plant one somewhere safe overlooking traveled roads and then just leave it there.

When you die, change to whatever else and it will stay there racking points if you left it in the right spot.

schnell

timmytheman123 said:
Did you check your email? They email you the code, they even sent me an extra for good measures.

Yeah, I got the Product key for the game and the pre-order dogtags. I think it was just my mistake in assuming all preorders came with the physical warfare pack.

iam220 said:
IMO assault should be able to beat out support weapons at every range, unless of course you have your bipod out. Engi should be able to beat out support in close ranges.

So basically you want support to be completely useless. At range and in close? Support already have huge disadvantage with their accuracy, bullet spread, shooting while moving , slower ADS than all, and recoil on their weapons. If they are not prone or using the bipod, they are pretty shit.

Megasoum said:
I tweeted back to him to ask about PC Squad improvement... obviously no answer (I don't expect any)... The Squad management is terrible on PC. The fact that you can't create squad and you can't have more than 4 people in them is really bad. I was stuck out of squads often because 2 guys go in a squad and lock it making it impossible for everybody to join a squad...

I just think that anybody that is in a battlelog party should get into an automatic squad... If I make a party with my friends it's because I want to play with them! Same thing could apply with platoons (Automatic squads with the platoon's name for all the members).

That's kinda how I assumed it would work--I could have sworn they said it would be like this. Parties are almost pointless, except for ensuring you join a game with those players. Best way to do it would be:

-Form a party (let's say, four players)
-Find and join a server
-Server puts you in the same squad. If the server becomes too imbalanced, it either
--Waits to add you until more players join the other side
--Moves players not in squads to the other side
-HAPPINESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom