• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
Heavy Barrel adds Verticle recoil and suppressor tightens the recoil up but limited distance and damage.

Claymores dont have a big distance of damage radius wise, but trigger for some reason past that danger zone. Ive seen people walk 4ft away and run by them, they blow, no hit marker.

I thought heavy barrel REDUCES vertical recoil...

FINALBOSS

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Eh no they aren't, the scopes for assault give them a range advantage though. Holos and RDS don't have ranged zooms for longe range shots. Thats a nice advantage, don't see why someone would just ignore it.

What the shit are you talking about man?

Engineers have access to all the same scopes and shit.

Rad- said:
I said DPS, not damage. G36C has better RPM.

So? It still has lower TTK.

FINALBOSS said:
I thought heavy barrel REDUCES vertical recoil...

Only for semi-automatic firing.

BattleMonkey said:
Eh no they aren't, the scopes for assault give them a range advantage though. Holos and RDS don't have ranged zooms for longe range shots. Thats a nice advantage, don't see why someone would just ignore it.

Outright falsities that have now ruined any credibility you might have had when talking about this games mechanics.

FINALBOSS said:
I guess. Everyone reloads after killing someone anyways, so 3 shots and you're dead with the SCAR and I'm reloading already. And it's not like the recoil on the SCAR is out of the world. It's more than manageable.

Then increase it's recoil or it's spread over range. Make powerful weapons challenging to use. It's an age old staple: average "items" (gun, cars, planes, etc.) are easy to use/handle and powerful ones are more difficult.

It's just that, if they DO nerf the SCAR, without adjusting it in some other way, it will be useless. Why use a med/high recoil weapon with 20 rounds that kills in 4 shots, when you can use a low recoil weapon with 30 rounds that kills in 4 shots (M4, A91, SG553, etc.)?

Meus Renaissance said:
Is it me or does Suppressor add recoil? Can't remember from the description.

One of the loading screen messages says it decreases recoil due to the added weight. Too many advantages over the flash suppressor.

Snkfanatic said:
Whenever I log on it seems no one is in the GAF server, got to play a bit last week with you guys but is there a specific time that the server seems to fill up?

It's pretty dead during the day. Fills up around 7 PM CST.

FINALBOSS said:
Equip a useless GL and you lose medic packs which is pointless. Engineers equipping rocket launchers don't lose their class tool...
Useless, huh? Tell that to the dozens of kills I've gotten from launching a grenade towards enemies that I've scared into cover. Better yet, tell that to the dozens of alternate routes I've created that allow me to reach areas more quickly and more strategically. The GL has its place.

FINALBOSS

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Useless, huh? Tell that to the dozens of kills I've gotten from launching a grenade towards enemies that I've scared into cover. Better yet, tell that to the dozens of alternate routes I've created that allow me to reach areas more quickly and more strategically. The GL has its place.

Useless compared to the medic stuff IMO. Medic gear has saved me/teammates a lot more than a few extra kills with the GL.

Good lord... I really hate the aiming in this game. Every time I play a match I have to mess around with the sensitivity, where as in Battlefield 2 Bad Company I was fine with the original setting sigh...

FINALBOSS

Banned
dragonflys545 said:
Good lord... I really hate the aiming in this game. Every time I play a match I have to mess around with the sensitivity, where as in Battlefield 2 Bad Company I was fine with the original setting sigh...

You're on PS3 I take it? Yeah, still sucks. I've gotten used to it, but it doesn't mean I like it.

Rad- said:
About the same time actually, at least in close quarter combat. With much much better recoil.

No, not at all the same. In terms of this game's damage modeling, 0.200 and .240 is a big difference. The ROF and Recoil is middle-of-class at best for the engineer weapons, so stop trying to argue that, as well.

Cobra84 said:
Probably true with corridor heavy the map design. It's much easier to throw some C4 on a tank without being noticed than it is trying to fire multiple rockets at the side or rear and not get mowed down by the .50 cal.

I'll also take a flag in CQ then put three C4's on the ground and run back to a good spot, put my gun on a bipod then light up people coming in or if a tank rolls up just two button presses gives me a disabled/destroyed/double kill.

Rad-

Interficium said:
No, not at all the same. In terms of this game's damage modeling, 0.200 and .240 is a big difference. The ROF and Recoil is middle-of-class at best for the engineer weapons, so stop trying to argue that, as well.

Just shoot them and you realize there's a world of difference between Scar's and G36C recoil.

Rainy Dog

I don't know why they don't utilize the various ranges to balance the weapons. Damage is calculated every 5 metres, they could have different drop off ratios for every weapon to make them all unique and and evenly balanced. In BC2, some guns did constant damage without any drop off at range, for instance.

So much they could do yet seems that they've either not had time or been very lazy with it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Rainy Dog said:
I don't know why they don't utilize the various ranges to balance the weapons. Damage is calculated every 5 metres, they could have different drop off ratios for every weapon to make them all unique and and evenly balanced. In BC2, some guns did constant damage without any drop off at range, for instance.

So much they could do yet seems that they've either not had time or been very lazy with it.

Demize99 on Twitter was pretty much like "focused on what's important" which leads me to believe all the little things that propel a game from "great' to "amazing" fell by the wayside. I'm still loving it though.

Rad- said:
Just shoot them and you realize there's a world of difference between Scar's and G36C recoil.

I'm not arguing that.

But if you want a low-recoil, 25-damage-per-bullet engineer gun, the M4 and A-91 beat the G36C hands down. Their higher ROF will beat the G36C up close and at ranges their bullets do more damage than the G36C.

The G36C is not even in the top three options for the engineer.

Woo-Fu

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Useless compared to the medic stuff IMO. Medic gear has saved me/teammates a lot more than a few extra kills with the GL.

Not true at all. You prefer to save your teammates by healing them slowly with medpacks. I prefer to save them by killing the people shooting them. With a 54% hit rate and 104 kills I'm going to say that the m320 is a very effective killing machine.

Thing is, I can kill with m320 and if my buddies die I can still whip out the shock paddles. On top of that I can drop smoke on a chokepoint or an MCOM. On top of that it gives me a reliable tool for dealing with tanks and IFRs. On top of that it will kill the pilot of a helicopter if you hit the copter anywhere.

What does the medkit do? Slowly heals people, people who have health regen built-in already.

When it comes to overall utility, the choice is clear. You might want to rethink your "useless". Medpacks are for the lightweights who hide around the corner with the campers, m320 is for people who are on the front line, punching a hole.

FINALBOSS said:
Demize99 on Twitter was pretty much like "focused on what's important" which leads me to believe all the little things that propel a game from "great' to "amazing" fell by the wayside. I'm still loving it though.

Pretty much. PC Gamer gave it an 8/10, which I'd agree with. It absolutely has the potential to be amazing, 10/10 or whatever, but needs a little more work and more GREAT maps. It's a shame it couldn't have launched better.

And no doubt this is EA's cash cow and DICE is prepared to support it for some time...I just hope the "details" don't get lost during the process.

iam220

FINALBOSS said:

Right, In my opinion all they need to do is nerf the damage drop-off for engineer weapons, buff them for assault weapons and nerf the effect of rocket launchers vs infantry. While leaving everything else in tact.

Woo-Fu said:
What does the medkit do? Slowly heals people, people who have health regen built-in already.

The most effective use of the health kit is to heal yourself. It has saved my life countless times.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Interficium said:
Because then Engineer wouldn't be the best at everything in the game.

I feel a little gimped if I take any other class besides engineering. The main issue is the complete inability of assault to put a dent in tanks. Of course, you can just avoid the tanks as much as possible, and I'm sure that's what people do, but to aggressively capture and defend flags, you need a way to handle vehicles.

Rainy Dog

Interficium said:
I'm not arguing that.

But if you want a low-recoil, 25-damage-per-bullet engineer gun, the M4 and A-91 beat the G36C hands down. Their higher ROF will beat the G36C up close and at ranges their bullets do more damage than the G36C.

The M4A1 doesn't. The G36C takes one less bullet to kill at long range which just about makes all 3 balanced because the A-91 has slightly more recoil than either the M4A1/G36C from my experience.

The SG553 looks to be pretty pointless, though. Not that it matters since most folk probably even won't bother unlocking it.

iam220 said:
Right, In my opinion all they need to do is nerf the damage drop-off for engineer weapons, buff them for assault weapons and nerf the effect of rocket launchers vs infantry. While leaving everything else in tact.

Agreed 100%. Would be a better game.

Rainy Dog said:
The SG553 looks to be pretty pointless, though. Not that it matters since most folk probably even won't bother unlocking it.

Pretty much all the co-op weapons are ass, besides the EBR and the Raffica. The sig 553 is particularly egregious though, and using the G3 is like preparing yourself for the post-nerf SCAR.

iam220 said:
Right, In my opinion all they need to do is nerf the damage drop-off for engineer weapons, buff them for assault weapons and nerf the effect of rocket launchers vs infantry. While leaving everything else in tact..

I like this, also give the TTKs of the pistols to the PDWs and vice-versa.

commish

Interficium said:
I'm not arguing that.

The G36C is not even in the top three options for the engineer.

As an M4 fanatic, I do realize how awesome it is, but you are selling the G36C short. My kills per minute and accuracy are all higher with the G36C vs. the M4. I know that's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's proven to be very effective for me.

Rainy Dog

commish said:
I feel a little gimped if I take any other class besides engineering. The main issue is the complete inability of assault to put a dent in tanks. Of course, you can just avoid the tanks as much as possible, and I'm sure that's what people do, but to aggressively capture and defend flags, you need a way to handle vehicles.

Know what you mean. I've got my first service star for the engineer and unlocked everything apart from the SiG. But I just can't bring myself to use anything other than that or occasionally Assault. I hate not having anything to deal with or repair vehicles.

I want to at least unlock the gadgets in the other classes (not too bothered about all the guns) so I've at least got them as go-to options at any point. But I tried Support earlier and just did terribly. Switched back to Engi and just felt so much more back at home again.

Doesn't help that I'm not keen on using LMG's, sniper rifles or shotguns either. I think that when PDW's get a much needed buff, I'll work my way through the other classes using those.

Interficium said:
Pretty much all the co-op weapons are ass, besides the EBR and the Raffica. The sig 553 is particularly egregious though, and using the G3 is like preparing yourself for the post-nerf SCAR.

I read on the damage chart that G3A3 is significantly more powerful than the other assault weapons. And it's a co-op weapon...?

commish

Rainy Dog said:
Know what you mean. I've got my first service star for the engineer and unlocked everything apart from the SiG. But I just can't bring myself to use anything other than that or occasionally Assault. I hate not having anything to deal with or repair vehicles.

I want to at least unlock the gadgets in the other classes (not too bothered about all the guns) so I've at least got them as go-to options at any point. But I tried Support earlier and just did terribly. Switched back to Engi and just felt so much more back at home again.

Doesn't help that I'm not keen on using LMG's, sniper rifles or shotguns either. I think that when PDW's get a much needed buff, I'll work my way through the other classes using those.

Yup, same experience for me. I moved over to Assault yesterday, and it's going pretty well, but I just miss my rockets. On some maps, I just switch back to engineering because I get tired of see choppers dominating the landscape. Support is going to be a bitch to level up.

Rainy Dog

Interficium said:

Really? Shame. At least they relegated the real ugly's to where most people won't even go looking for them anyway. I used the SiG as much as I could in the campaign and loved the meaty feel of it. Probably won't even bother grinding the unlock now I've seen the stats, though.

Is the G3 really that crap? Must have some wicked recoil/spread if it deals that much damage and still isn't worth using.

Rainy Dog

iam220 said:

Pretty much. Engi class guns damage drops off after 5m, as does the PDW's. The AR's do full damage up to and including 20m. Sorted. Or leave the carbines dealing full damage to 10m, but extend AR's out to 25m.

commish said:
Yeah, and this is the obvious solution, so much so that DICE won't do it.

Yep, unfortunately.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OldJadedGamer said:
Not really, I own with support. I'm telling you... it's all about C4 and using them properly.

Or throwing down ammo crates. I have been playing a lot with support and I usually get an easy 500 points or more by resupplying all of the engineers with rockets.

RbBrdMan said:
Or throwing down ammo crates. I have been playing a lot with support and I usually get an easy 500 points or more by resupplying all of the engineers with rockets.

Right, if you get in a good crowded spot and drop one... you will rack up the points super fast.

Bungieware said:
I read on the damage chart that G3A3 is significantly more powerful than the other assault weapons. And it's a co-op weapon...?

ROF/Recoil/Magazine size really screws it. Mostly the ROF. It just seems like it's chugging super-slowly when you use it, even compared to the SCAR which has a pretty low ROF itself.

commish

RbBrdMan said:

And us engineers thank you kindly :) I LOVE when someone drops ammo crates on me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really enjoy following my squad mates around the map dropping ammo, spotting people, and taking out people. I think this is a lost art as I rarely ever see anyone following me.

Perhaps the people I am following are annoyed by me doing that but, dealwithit.jpg. Since that is the way a Battlefield game should be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom