• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
schnell said:
I hear a lot of talk about how the Stinger is overpowered against jets and helos but, playing as an engineer most of the time, I can't shoot down anything with a Stinger. I get a lock, flares, and maybe one hit before the jet/helo gets a reload on flares or flies out of range. I almost always run out of ammo before getting the kill. I think jets and helos can fend for themselves just fine against stingers and that it's a user issue, not the game. Now I haven't played as a pilot much so I can't say anything for how powerful or effective they are.

Jets really don't have a problem with Stingers. Choppers.... not so much.

codecow

OldJadedGamer said:
Not really, I own with support. I'm telling you... it's all about C4 and using them properly.

I haven't been able to do crap with C4. Every time I run up to plant on a tank I get em on there and get shot in the ass trying to get clear of it. What are some pro ways to use C4 now that there are no UAVs?

Enco

Around 7 hours logged.

Does that include sp time?

MP = extremely intense and feels like a real war (not that I've been in one). So fun

SP = extremely scripted but pretty tense and fun

Aeonin

Well my brother just sold his game. He's a hardcore COD fan and it looks like he just didn't "get it". He could've really used some type of tutorial for the MP because it is indeed quite confusing if you're just coming in. DICE/EA, please consider the non-BF fan and release some Youtube videos showing off the vision. I get it for sure, but a lot of people I know who were stoked for this game don't.

why does this game not fill my tv there's little black bars on the top and bottom in screen fit mode on my Samsung tv, its the only game I've had to turn on 16 by 9 (360 version)
I also have to say I'm really disappointed in multiplayer, most of the maps don't have vehicles, it doesn't feel like battlefield and think its a step back from both bad companys.

Enkidu

Outtrigger888 said:
why does this game not fill my tv there's little black bars on the top and bottom in screen fit mode on my Samsung tv, its the only game I've had to turn on 16 by 9 (360 version)
I also have to say I'm really disappointed in multiplayer, most of the maps don't have vehicles, it doesn't feel like battlefield and think its a step back from both bad companys.
The game runs at a slightly lower vertical resolution. In order to preserve image quality there are small black bars added instead of stretching the image.

Also, I don't really see how it's a step back from Bad Company. The maps are not as good as they should be but it's really not much worse than what you had in BC2.

Circle T

Outtrigger888 said:
Go into the video settings in the game. There is a Screen Size option, where you can adjust it.

Options --> Video --> Open Screen Adjust

*Edit* - Just to be clear, set your 360 to 1080p, and then set your TV back to "Screen Fit" mode. Then, in the game, go to the video options and adjust the image so that it fills the entire screen.

Ok, I'm suddenly getting some SERIOUSLY weird bugs.

First, part of the HUD is missing - the bottom right hand corner with health, etc.

Second, 3D spotting is only showing up for teammates

Third, I can't switch cameras in vehicles.

And fourth, weirdest of all, falling ANY distance results in my suicide. Like, jumping over a rock kills me instantly. WTF?

It was fine until today. Restarted PC and same bugs...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the logic behind spotting? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is on a regular, non-hardcore server. I'll be looking right at a jet filling up almost my entire view, hit the Q key, and get nothing. If I spam the Q key over it, after about 5 presses I get a little "plonk" noise, but it still isn't spotted. Does that mean I can't spot for awhile because I spammed it?

BC2 had the same problems, although spotting is more reliable this time around. It just randomly will choose not to spot something, even though it is plainly in view.

Is there some sort of overall "total spotted" number for the entire team that can't be exceeded?

Also, what makes things "unspotted"? Sometimes I'll spot a jet, it will work, and then right before my eyes about a second later the spotted icon is gone. I then re-spot it, it gets spotted, then the icon disappears in a second or two again.

Oh really? I haven't tried one before and the first 3 make sense. But the last one? I mean, running up to a low wall and pressing jump shouldn't kill me every time even on hardcore surely?

codecow said:
I haven't been able to do crap with C4. Every time I run up to plant on a tank I get em on there and get shot in the ass trying to get clear of it. What are some pro ways to use C4 now that there are no UAVs?

Blow yourself up. They don't get your ticket because it is a suicide and you stop the tank and rack kills. You get the points even though you are dead.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
codecow said:
Work in teams. Have someone else draw aggro or pop smoke.

SapientWolf said:

Yep me and Manager did this the other day, I was shooting rockets at the tank and it would focus on me while he tried to C4 it, great stuff when it worked.

BLU-82

BLU-82 said:
I have had this a few times along with the missing HUD elements etc. Or how about the 'all of a sudden you loose the ability to move' bug where I have to walk backwards to start going forwards again...

Holding down fire, first bullet fires then it sticks for literally over a second and then resumes firing. I thought it may be unique to the G36 as it's my main weapon but no...it's on EVERY FUCKING GUN.

This only started last night has anyone else had this problem? Game is unplayable now, fucking joy.

Is anyone having this problem? I just played a few rounds and it's worse than ever. Happens in vehicles now too. The pause after the first shot seems to have gone up to like 3-4 seconds.

Real men will take one for the team! Oh, and throw 3 of them on the ground then find a good spot. Then when they roll up in the tank and park it right on the flag you have an easy double kill.

Dipswitch

I started using mines yesterday and they're wonderful. Seeing all those beautiful points fly up the screen after you forgot you put some down is a real treat.

A group of us were getting hammered yesterday by a tank and I crept up behind it and put 2 mines down. Watching it slowly back into them was like Christmas come early.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
codecow said:

Blow yourself up.

Aeonin said:
Well my brother just sold his game. He's a hardcore COD fan and it looks like he just didn't "get it". He could've really used some type of tutorial for the MP because it is indeed quite confusing if you're just coming in. DICE/EA, please consider the non-BF fan and release some Youtube videos showing off the vision. I get it for sure, but a lot of people I know who were stoked for this game don't.

This video was made for Bad Company 2 and should be updated for BF3 since COD teaches some really bad gaming habits. A lot of it still applies though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

But it's like that in any game. Remember all the Bunny hoppers rocket launcher guys in COD4 that were coming from Halo 3?

SillyEskimo said:
Full install on 360 is 15.5 GB. Install 2 discs, 156MB patch, install HD textures, input code for online pass, register for gun club on PC, download pistol from xbl... what a bunch of fucking bullshit to get through before I can even play the game.

Don't install the discs, don't register for gun club, don't download the pistol. If you're doing all this unnecessary stuff, you should not complain about the time it takes to start playing.

Or you could, you know, do some of that stuff later, or before you got the game.

Varna

Posting again... hopefully someone can help me with this issue.

I can't even get this game to launch. I hit play from the Origin menu, release date check comes on.. I click on agree it quickly seems to fill up and nothing else happens. Trying again does nothing.

codecow

OldJadedGamer said:
Blow yourself up. They don't get your ticket because it is a suicide and you stop the tank and rack kills. You get the points even though you are dead.

Suicides don't count in the D column (sorry I hate dying)?

codecow said:
Playing on 360, no friends = no team.

Even if you have no friends playing... it's still a team based game. You will win if you help others and you will lose if you play stingily. I play with randoms all the time and will constantly help them out.

codecow said:
Suicides don't count in the D column (sorry I hate dying)?

Remember, it's a team game. You do more to help your team blowing up that tank (and yourself) than you do dying while trying to run away from it. Sometimes, you have to do what is good for the team, not what is good for your stats.

sp3000 said:
I really hope that COD takes away a lot of the idiots online once it comes out.

I'm fairly certain, that come Tuesday the game will be better. But... with less canon fodder so it's a catch 22. It will be nice to hopefully see more people working as teams though.

alba

Little is the new Big
Ever since their supposed "server side fix of the crash between map change" I keep crashing between maps now, I had absolutely zero problems with the game and now I crash every map change, god damnit.

alba said:
Ever since their supposed "server side fix of the crash between map change" I keep crashing between maps now, I had absolutely zero problems with the game and now I crash every map change, god damnit.

Me too. I only crashed like once before but after the so called fix I keep on crashing, not every map change though, when I am in I am in, but when I try to join a server it will keep crashing on me until I finally get in.

SapientWolf said:
This is the way to do it. I will fire smoke grenades at the tank while my buddy flanks with C4. Has worked like a charm so far.

And there is nothing more boss feeling than shooting an enemy that is in the middle of shanking your friend. Denying him the tags and saving your buddy is awesome.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think they might have buffed the USAS-12 from where it was in beta. After using it to good effect in co-op I decided to try it on Grand Bazaar and I'm clearing rooms/halls with it. That is before adding the magazine extension, muahahaha.

Varna

WTF... EA support is fucken horrible.

I clearly describe the problem... using the origin client to start the game, release date verification, etc..

"What console are you using?"

Xux

sp3000 said:
I really hope that COD takes away a lot of the idiots online once it comes out.
Seems about the same right now as it was in BC2 before and after Black Ops came out.

Dakota47

Got my first Assault Service Star! It is time to level another class now, most likely Support. I need a mortar before it gets nerfed.

KERNF.jpg

Xux said:
Seems about the same right now as it was in BC2 before and after Black Ops came out.

Didn't Black Ops came out six months after BC2?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are squads broken on Xbox or something? It's such a pain to get into a squad with my party. It always splits us up. Am I confused on how to do this?

Massive thread, I didn't read.

codecow

OldJadedGamer said:
Even if you have no friends playing... it's still a team based game. You will win if you help others and you will lose if you play stingily. I play with randoms all the time and will constantly help them out.

Remember, it's a team game. You do more to help your team blowing up that tank (and yourself) than you do dying while trying to run away from it. Sometimes, you have to do what is good for the team, not what is good for your stats.

I play what I think I will get the highest score with (or support) while still trying to play positive as much as possible. This style of play, for me, translates well to other games like CoD where you really don't want to die ever.

I don't really care about helping my team. I prefer winning, but if I need to go massively negative to win then I'd rather just kill people and wait till the next game (with new randoms).

I wouldn't say I am a selfish player with resources at least. I don't take jets (no flares) and I don't take heli-s because I can't fly them. We'll see this weekend, I'll get a chance to play with a coordinated squad.

codecow

Dakota47 said:
Got my first Assault Service Star! It is time to level another class now, most likely Support. I need a mortar before it gets nerfed.

KERNF.jpg

Didn't Black Ops came out six months after BC2?

I doubt mortar is going to get nerf'd. It seems the only useful thing to do with it on console at least is to use it as a counter mortar. I think I only have one kill with it.

A friend of mine has been having issues on the PC for a little, figured I'd ask if anyone knew anything here.

He was fine in the beta, but in retail after a while of playing multiplayer his internet will just lag out, making him DC from Ventrilo. He lags in game too, but it never kicks him out. He's turned off UPNP on his router, forwarded the ports for the game, and done various stuff in Windows to try and figure it out (the UPNP services, checked hosts file, turned off network discovery) and none have worked.

When he stops playing everything goes back to normal. Anyone experiencing anything similar, or know a fix?

You're all gonna hate me for this but I'm enjoying playing TDM with a shotgun and completly owning everyone. Haven't even touched Rush/Conquest yet and my tank etc. stats are all 0. :(

Shadybiz

Bboy AJ said:
Are squads broken on Xbox or something? It's such a pain to get into a squad with my party. It always splits us up. Am I confused on how to do this?

Massive thread, I didn't read.

Nope, things seem to be working as well for you as they do for most. I'm on PS3, having the same issues. I think it was mentioned that it's an issue that's being worked on. It's a shame, it worked pretty seamlessly in BC2, though I wasn't around for the launch of that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom