• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Banned
Can anyone here answer this with honesty:

Outside of the graphics, is battlefield 3 much of and evolutionary game? DOes it really bring much to the table compared to the recent call of dutys/etc?

1stStrike

Banned
SomeDude said:

Outside of the graphics, is battlefield 3 much of and evolutionary game? DOes it really bring much to the table compared to the recent call of dutys/etc?

The vehicle combat is fantastic and far and above that of any other game on the market right now. As COD doesn't even really have actual vehicle combat in comparison to Battlefield, that's the meat and potatoes right there.

Gun battles are pretty much the same as any other shooter, though they did manage to add a nice feel and sound to the guns so that they actually feel like they have weight when you're shooting them.

Aside from that, no, it's a shooter like any other. But, you don't always need to re-invent the wheel to make a fun game. The simple fact is, despite the people bitching in this thread, the game is fun as shit and I know I'll be playing it for a long time to come.

D23 said:
just unlocked the IRNV for my M4AI.. lol i feel like God using this.. they are going to nerf this right?? its almost like cheating.

They should nerf it so that distant targets don't show up as brightly as the closer targets.

SomeDude said:

The suppression effect of the Support class is the biggest game changer that BF3 brings to the FPS world. This type of direct gameplay action has been featured in some RTSs before and to great affect (Relic's Company of Heroes) but it's addition here as a core element of the class-based warfare is exciting. I hope we'll see more of this in the coming years.

Zeppelin

SomeDude said:

I wouldn't say it's that much different from previous Battlefield games but it's sure as hell different from CoD. They both have their pros and cons and you really can't compare the two. Personally I prefer Battlefield. There's just something incredibly awesome and immersing about some of the scenarios that occur in Battlefield. And aside from engineers being a bit over powered as of now I think it's fucking incredible how many different play styles BF allows. When I started playing BF 3 I didn't even kill people that much, I racked up points in other ways instead.

About the IRNV I honestly don't have that much of problem with it in it self. My biggest problem is that it's the only useful scope for say the M4A1. That weapon has such a bad range that there's no point in attaching anything else anyway.

Shaundakahl said:
The suppression effect of the Support class is the biggest game changer that BF3 brings to the FPS world. This type of direct gameplay action has been featured in some RTSs before and to great affect (Relic's Company of Heroes) but it's addition here as a core element of the class-based warfare is exciting. I hope we'll see more of this in the coming years.
Eh, it's handled much better in Red Orchestra 2.

Ramirez

I like the game overall, but I have a few nagging issues, some of which can't be fixed. The player count on the consoles is just flat out pathetic for some of these maps, you can go entire games of Caspian Conquest and be lucky to see 2-3 guys all game. The hit detection is so inconsistent at times, really annoying.

Other than that, I like the game, we had like a string of 6 Conquest games in a row tonight where we capped all of the spots, pushing them back into their spawn and they would just turtle with snipers, not bring their tanks out, etc. Really boring.

Also, the game has a terrible time of keeping games full 12 on 12, and it still insists on splitting Squads sometimes. Stuff that seems so simple to me always happens in BF games on consoles.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I don't know if it's the servers I've been on, but people on the PC version are really unfriendly. Anytime I get on a roll, people have accused me of cheating or playing unfairly. I've only been playing support and using whatever gun you start out with, so it's not likely that I'm using some cheap gun. But damn, people get really unfriendly pretty quickly. If there is anything to hang my hat on, however, is the lack of epithets and slurs I've encountered. When compared to XBL, that's unheard of!

Zeppelin

Big Ass Ramp said:
I don't know if it's the servers I've been on, but people on the PC version are really unfriendly. Anytime I get on a roll, people have accused me of cheating or playing unfairly. I've only been playing support and using whatever gun you start out with, so it's not likely that I'm using some cheap gun. But damn, people get really unfriendly pretty quickly. If there is anything to hang my hat on, however, is the lack of epithets and slurs I've encountered. When compared to XBL, that's unheard of!

Play with the GAF. People are usually very friendly on both of the GAF servers. You will get your ass handed to you by me and my T-90 though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
I don't know if it's the servers I've been on, but people on the PC version are really unfriendly. Anytime I get on a roll, people have accused me of cheating or playing unfairly.

First online FPS? :p

1stStrike

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

Yeah, that's how it goes in PC FPS's :p

I'm seriously surprised I haven't been accused of cheating yet with how much I've been utilizing guided shell on helicopters and jets. Most people don't even know it exists, it seems, so they're always like "WHAT" when they see a tank shot them down from 500 meters out on the kill cam lol.

Big-ass Ramp

Ysiadmihi said:

no, that's what makes this so strange for me. it seems to happen far more frequently. I don't know maybe I'm getting old and sensitive. but it's like every game so far I've been accused of cheating. just strange

Arjen

I really wish there was a practice mode for the Helicopters and jets. (360)
I tried them out a couple of times, and crashed pretty quik, i don't want to be a negative factor for my team so i bascily stopped trying.

1stStrike

Banned
Arjen said:
I tried them out a couple of times, and crashed pretty quik, i don't want to be a negative factor for my team so i bascily stopped trying.

The first coop mission is completely helicopter based. Just hop in a with a friend and fly around. You'll get used to it. Do it on easy the first time and as long as you don't crash it's pretty much impossible to fail.

Arjen

1stStrike said:
The first coop mission is completely helicopter based. Just hop in a with a friend and fly around. You'll get used to it. Do it on easy the first time and as long as you don't crash it's pretty much impossible to fail.

That's a great idea, thanks.

Big-ass Ramp

first time to really drill down into the battlelog stuff and I gotta say I'm really impressed. At first, I thought going through a browser would be a nightmare, but it's actually really cool and lightweight. It makes me so much more likely to look at my stats if I can just casually browse it in a browser, instead of being in the game to look through it.

Arjen

Big Ass Ramp said:
first time to really drill down into the battlelog stuff and I gotta say I'm really impressed. At first, I thought going through a browser would be a nightmare, but it's actually really cool and lightweight. It makes me so much more likely to look at my stats if I can just casually browse it in a browser, instead of being in the game to look through it.

I love the system that they show you which unlocks are coming up, really nice.

Izayoi

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Yep. I love Battlelog.

KAOz

Short bus special
I think I just played Rush with an entire team of mentally challenged people.
Seriously.

I was playing Support, the guys in my squad consisted of 2 Engineers and of course one Recon. Defending. They let two tanks roll straight into our base, and fire. I took some cover, and was ready to supply ammo for the Engineers so they could take the tanks down.

What do I see them do?

BOTH engineers, throw grenades at the tank, then shoot at it with their Carbines. And... just keep doing that. They never once take their launchers out. Unsurprisingly, they die over and over and over again. Yet, they keep just using regular grenades and carbines on them.

Yeah.

Do I need to tell you we lost?

I've come around to it as well. I just leave it on, similar to the way I do with Facebook or Twitter. I think that casualness is what is key. If I want to jump into a game, its a click away in the browser. I can be checking Twitter as it is connecting me to a server. Small touch, but its flexible to fit my internet lifestyle.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
KAOz said:
I think I just played Rush with an entire team of mentally challenged people.
Seriously.

I was playing Support, the guys in my squad consisted of 2 Engineers and of course one Recon. Defending. They let two tanks roll straight into our base, and fire. I took some cover, and was ready to supply ammo for the Engineers so they could take the tanks down.

What do I see them do?

BOTH engineers, throw grenades at the tank, then shoot at it with their Carbines. And... just keep doing that. They never once take their launchers out. Unsurprisingly, they die over and over and over again. Yet, they keep just using regular grenades and carbines on them.

Yeah.

Do I need to tell you we lost?

Wahaha! That seriously needs to be recorded! Maybe they didn't know they had RPGs?

Battlecorder needs shit like that on Youtube!

Izayoi said:
Yep. I love Battlelog.

Yeah, I've been checking it everyday. Heck, I leave it on just like I do twitter. Such fun to look at my stats and see what I can unlock next and whatnot.

cdyhybrid

Arjen said:

A lot of the people flying them are terrible anyway, just go for it. They won't be able to tell the difference :p

eek5

D23 said:
just unlocked the IRNV for my M4AI.. lol i feel like God using this.. they are going to nerf this right?? its almost like cheating.
No need to nerf it. Eventually everyone will be using it and it will be an even, green, battlefield.

EVIL

I don't feel the love for the IRNV scopes. You can't see whats around you (being able to is basically needed since you can get flanked very fast in this game), and the perk of being able to see silhouettes isn't that much of an advantage since most of the time you can spot them anyway.

D- very bad, won't order from them again

I'd rather have any of the other scopes or just pure iron sights.

Enkidu

Big Ass Ramp said:
no, that's what makes this so strange for me. it seems to happen far more frequently. I don't know maybe I'm getting old and sensitive. but it's like every game so far I've been accused of cheating. just strange
I haven't seen anyone get accused of cheating in any servers so far. Are you getting like 15k points when everyone else has 2k or something? Anyway, I seriously doubt it's any worse than CS. If you manage to have a better K/D than 2.0 you are pretty much guaranteed to be accused of being a cheater.

FStop7

Banned
EVIL said:
I don't feel the love for the IRNV scopes. You can't see whats around you (being able to is basically needed since you can get flanked very fast in this game), and the perk of being able to see silhouettes isn't that much of an advantage since most of the time you can spot them anyway.

D- very bad, won't order from them again

I'd rather have any of the other scopes or just pure iron sights.

It has a very long range. If you look at a hillside from the opposite end of the map you'll see the heat dots of snipers sprinkled all over it. You can spot them and then watch them get picked off. It's also great for overwatch. If there are two guys defending a flag you can set up opposite their position and just spot every enemy dude who approaches from far away.

When being in a tank goes well it's pretty fun. Someone with the CITV station unlocked, a good driver/gunner, and I was on machine gun+repair duty. We made it through the whole round without getting killed and took out a lot of dudes.

EVIL

FStop7 said:
It has a very long range. If you look at a hillside from the opposite end of the map you'll see the heat dots of snipers sprinkled all over it. You can spot them and then watch them get picked off. It's also great for overwatch. If there are two guys defending a flag you can set up opposite their position and just spot every enemy dude who approaches from far away.

When being in a tank goes well it's pretty fun. Someone with the CITV station unlocked, a good driver/gunner, and I was on machine gun+repair duty. We made it through the whole round without getting killed and took out a lot of dudes.
myeah I think the IRNV would work better for the recon class.
I have no use for it (I play assault)

-Yeti said:
I unlocked that for my SCAR. That, combined with ammo upgrade and Bipod... I'm a force to be reckoned with!

But yeah, they seriously need to gimp the IRNV somehow. How would they do it though?
make it suffer extra bad to flashlights and laser pointers

panda21

damn it DICE they finally make 360 controller work ok on the PC... almost.. they just had to screw it up somehow. the QTE events refuse to accept the controller as input so you have to switch to the keyboard/mouse quickly

EVIL

battlelog is out atm, they are rolling out fixes for it and will be back soon with a blog post detailing those fixes.

Dilly

Banned
Playing this game with 2 friends and voicechat in the same squad is so great.

It also gives a huge advantage on pubs, we always get ace squad at the end of a match and my W/L ratio is almost 3 now.

FoggyFreek

Just came in here to throw some Squad Rush LOVE. My god that mode rocks in BF3. Squad up with your maties and have enormous loads of fun.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
darkwing said:
why the heck is the UMP45 so weak, feels like you need to unload the whole mag at close range
Don't find it weak at all, it has pretty much no recoil and you can easily bring people down, going to be so good when it gets buffed.

They've made some nice changes to the filters.

mr_nothin

Banned
:(
When they said more server filters...I thought they would be adding options such as "killcam on/off" and "squad leader spawning only on/off"

:/
Good update overall though

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Ikuu said:
Don't find it weak at all, it has pretty much no recoil and you can easily bring people down, going to be so good overpowered when it gets buffed.

Can't wait for people to start bitching that it needs a nerf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom