• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

red731

EVIL said:
how and when do you get dynamic dogtags?

You knife people :D or earn them I guess.

Nabs said:
I swear, the game crashes every time I try to join a new server. It sometimes takes 4 or so tries to get in.

If you are on PC, try to set BF3 and Origin exe files to run as Administrators(right click - properties - compatibilty)
I am on PS3 so I can't tell if it's true, but there was the reedit link somewhere here.

I just wanted to pop in and say that this game on 360 runs great! I play about 3 hours a night without any issues.

So freaking fun!

that is all.

edit: i guess that is not true, 3 or 4 times it kicked me back to the main screen while searching for a sever, other then that I have never once been kicked from a game I was already in.

Megasoum

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
God I hate how most servers have you play two rounds of every map. That's like 40 minutes on one map.

It annoyed me in BC2, but I only played that casually so not too much. After 24hrs already invested in this game I just want to get on to the next map.

What's the mentality behind it? Most maps are balanced in such a way that you don't gain an advantage from spawning on one side of the map as apposed to the other. BF is the only franchise I've ever played where they repeat maps in such a way.

Another thing made for Rush...ugh. Makes sense for Rush to swtich between defense and attack but really no reason for Conquest.

Cant remember the last time I got so frustrated and angry while playing a game.

I think im done with the recon, I dont like playing "sniper", I like moving around and spotting for my friends, between the ridiculous screen shake, not being able to stayed scoped because of the scope flair, eveyone using IRNV and killing me before i even see them, the inability to do anything against vehicles, etc.

Also why is the SV98 so underpowered, 75% damage, are you kidding?, even at short range it does the same damage, you get killed before you can pull out your gun to finish the job, thats how i used to do it in BC2 and it worked great.

End of rant, sorry :(

Finally getting into the multiplayer now that I have power again.

Stupid Noob Question: How do I change factions on the character customization screen? (360) I tried pressing basically every button, I'm obviously missing something huge.

red731

hearsaybear said:

Stupid Noob Question: How do I change factions on the character customization screen? (360) I tried pressing basically every button, I'm obviously missing something huge.

Start game, go to squad setup - leave squad, auto join squad and switch factions. Triangle on PS3.

Btw, you can customize only for the faction you are playing, not the other you are not playing. You must switch sides to do that as stated above.

hearsaybear said:

I would like to know this as well! I cannot find it and the only way I can customize my Russian character is in game if I am on that team.

seems weird.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Making the BF3.exe run as admin and making Origin run as Admin has fixed the issue of Battlefield has stopped working for me.

Before doing this I also timed the load time to get in Caspian Large Conquest at 63 seconds. After doing this I loaded Caspian in 25 seconds!!

Yea I meant in the my soldier menu. Seems stupid that I wouldn't be able to change my russian loadout. I'll try like holding Y when I'm back home.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
LabouredSubterfuge said:
You seriously need to be able to customize loadouts outside of a match. The current set up is ridiculous.

I don't see why they went and messed up the way things were done in bc2 on pc. It worked great.

red731

RbBrdMan said:
Making the BF3.exe run as admin and making Origin run as Admin has fixed the issue of Battlefield has stopped working for me.

Before doing this I also timed the load time to get in Caspian Large Conquest at 63 seconds. After doing this I loaded Caspian in 25 seconds!!

Tadah ^_^

I guess thinking back to bc2 on 360 you couldn't customize loadouts outside of the match, but there weren't three attachments per weapon and both sides had all weapons.

belvedere

Junior Butler
AndyD said:
Whoa. I didnt realize that's what it did. Seems overpowered to me.

Seems like a great camper detector, keep it in. Let the people stat-padding be punished while the rest of the team actually gets things done :p.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
zephervack said:
Cant remember the last time I got so frustrated and angry while playing a game.

I think im done with the recon, I dont like playing "sniper", I like moving around and spotting for my friends, between the ridiculous screen shake, not being able to stayed scoped because of the scope flair, eveyone using IRNV and killing me before i even see them, the inability to do anything against vehicles, etc.

Also why is the SV98 so underpowered, 75% damage, are you kidding?, even at short range it does the same damage, you get killed before you can pull out your gun to finish the job, thats how i used to do it in BC2 and it worked great.

End of rant, sorry :(

ITT: Shitty snipers admit to being shitty snipers.

Why are you firing the SV98 in close range when you should be using your pistol? Why are you sitting in a spot for the whole round when you should be moving?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LabouredSubterfuge said:
You seriously need to be able to customize loadouts outside of a match. The current set up is ridiculous.

Yes, yes, it's so backwards and ridiculous. I'm not sure what the gain is by not having a freaking title screen.

Hari Seldon

What is the best way to practice jets and helicopters? Find an empty server? Also, can you use 360 controller to control these on PC but still use m/kb for everythign else?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Foliorum Viridum said:
This is a mind boggling opinion.

I was mostly kidding, but you can't tell me you haven't played in a match where the majority of your team lays around in the upper floors of Seine while you and 2-3 of your teammates try and take zones or set mcoms.

That exact scenario played out in the example video posted.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AndyD said:
Whoa. I didnt realize that's what it did. Seems overpowered to me.

Yes, and it's amazing how some folks here say that it's not that good! It's getting to the point where about half of the people who kill me are using it; the rest are, I'm assuming, leveling up other guns.

belvedere said:
I was mostly kidding, but you can't tell me you haven't played in a match where the majority of your team lays around in the upper floors of Seine while you and 2-3 of your teammates try and take zones or set mcoms.

That exact scenario played out in the example video posted.
Camping is going to happen no matter what equipment is in or out of the game. Odds are they're using the same scopes which only makes it easier to pick off people.

The scope takes out 90% of the skill in shooting - eg actually identifying a target. It should be heavily nerfed, if not removed.

TheSeks said:
ITT: Shitty snipers admit to being shitty snipers.

Why are you firing the SV98 in close range when you should be using your pistol? Why are you sitting in a spot for the whole round when you should be moving?

Hmm, did you even read my post?, I mentioned I dont like camping, thats my issue, the recon class in this game feels like its designed to encourage camping, in BC2 i was able to run around and kill people at close range with the SV98 whenever i ran into someone during my runs. Now, the speed it takes to draw my pistol out is so slow that by the time its done with the animation, Im already dead, again, seems that I should be camping, thats why im giving up the Recon class.

Believe me, i gave it a chance, but eventually i just realized im not having fun with it.

Game just wants you to play with the overpowered Engineer, like everyone else is doing :(

belvedere

Junior Butler
Foliorum Viridum said:
Camping is going to happen no matter what equipment is in or out of the game. Odds are they're using the same scopes which only makes it easier to pick off people.

The scope takes out 90% of the skill in shooting - eg actually identifying a target. It should be heavily nerfed, if not removed.

I think I've used it twice after first unlocking it, so maybe I need to go back and play with it again, but it didn't seem like it instantly transformed me into super god like some suggest. I don't see how the attachment is useful other than looking for people hidden away. You're sure as hell not using it in the middle of a close quarters firefight, or in the heat of the moment. As far as it being used to unfairly identify targets, the same can be accomplished by spamming the spot button as far as I can tell. I realize there's campers, but there are those deadlock matches where nothing gets done because the majority of each team is hiding out in a corner, waiting for someone to walk by. If this sort of thing helps motivate those people to at least move around a bit, leave it in and give them a counter ability or something if they're that offended by it.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Shadybiz said:
Holy crap! I hadn't actually seen it in action until just then. ....If not a Nerf, then I need to get me one of those.

It has been balanced somewhat - no zoom, extremely narrow fov meaning you can get easily flanked, and it can't see through any smoke or battle fog which renders it useless at range on some maps.

belvedere said:
I think I've used it twice after first unlocking it, so maybe I need to go back and play with it again, but it didn't seem like it instantly transformed me into super god like some suggest. I don't see how the attachment is useful other than looking for people hidden away. You're sure as hell not using it in the middle of a close quarters firefight, or in the heat of the moment. I realize there's campers, but there are those deadlock matches where nothing gets done because the majority of each team is hiding out in a corner, waiting for someone to walk by. If this sort of thing helps motivate those people to at least move around a bit, leave it in and give them a counter ability or something if they're that offended by it.
I'd say I get 50% more kills since I've started using it. I zoom in, look around a corner slowly and just pick off all of the orange that glows on my screen. These are people that, for the most part, would've had to fire a few shots or move for me to have seen them with any other scope.

It has nothing to do with people camping/defending or moving about - in EVERY instance it makes you 100% easier to spot. It's like if you were using a normal scope there was a big red flashing arrow pointing over your head. I only started using it because I was getting picked off too easily compared to the first week when barely anyone used it.

zephervack said:
Hmm, did you even read my post?, I mentioned I dont like camping, thats my issue, the recon class in this game feels like its designed to encourage camping, in BC2 i was able to run around and kill people at close range with the SV98 whenever i ran into someone during my runs. Now, the speed it takes to draw my pistol out is so slow that by the time its done with the animation, Im already dead, again, seems that I should be camping, thats why im giving up the Recon class.

Believe me, i gave it a chance, but eventually i just realized im not having fun with it.

Game just wants you to play with the overpowered Engineer, like everyone else is doing :(

They (thankfully) removed one-hit body kills with the sniper rifles, whereas they were possible in BC2. Game is better for it.

Anton Sugar said:
They (thankfully) removed one-hit body kills with the sniper rifles, whereas they were possible in BC2. Game is better for it.

There is always "hardcore", hehe, i think when i feel like playing as a sniper i will just play hardcore, i tried it yesterday and it is a 1 hit kill with the SV98 even at long long range, when I want to play conquest normal i will just stick with the engineer.

Maybe I will come back to normal as a recon once i unlock the IRNV for the SV98.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
derFeef said:
I don't see that many benefits in this video at the beginning. Yeah they stick out better when aiming through the IRNV, but to be honest, you were able to see them without it too.
You don't see the benefits of having all the graphical distractions removed when you're aiming, and having the enemy stick out far more than they do otherwise. IRNV is so OP and needs to be nerfed.

hiverbon said:
It has been balanced somewhat - no zoom, extremely narrow fov meaning you can get easily flanked, and it can't see through any smoke or battle fog which renders it useless at range on some maps.

You don't need zoom when you can see everyone perfectly fine, and the FOV makes no difference as you don't need to be perma-scoped.

Raide

Ikuu said:
You don't see the benefits of having all the graphical distractions removed when you're aiming, and having the enemy stick out far more than they do otherwise. IRNV is so OP and needs to be nerfed.

You don't need zoom when you can see everyone perfectly fine, and the FOV makes no difference as you don't need to be perma-scoped.

It looks like an FPS where players remove all the textures etc to make players stand out. :D

The more players try it out, the more it will get used, so it feeling OP should lessen with time.

Raide said:
It looks like an FPS where players remove all the textures etc to make players stand out. :D

The more players try it out, the more it will get used, so it feeling OP should lessen with time.
For me it's not so much about being overpowered as the fact it changes the dynamic of the game. It becomes a twitch thing, whereas before I was a player who enjoyed going prone and sneaking around etc. That's not possible now.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Good to see they got rid of that server changed map error, now it just retries after a few seconds.

Raide

Foliorum Viridum said:
For me it's not so much about being overpowered as the fact it changes the dynamic of the game. It becomes a twitch thing, whereas before I was a player who enjoyed going prone and sneaking around etc. That's not possible now.

How does it change for the long range maps? I can see it being devastating in CQC maps like Metro etc.

derFeef

Ikuu said:
Maybe I need to use it more, just have it for the M249 so far. I just do not see why it should be beneficial for aiming. I agree that spotting enemies with it is way too easy and should get nerfed in distance.

Raide said:
How does it change for the long range maps? I can see it being devastating in CQC maps like Metro etc.
Well I like to hide in bushes in Caspian and I've been picked off easily which should be impossible unless someone is right on top of me or I get a shot off, so yeah, it impacts the bigger maps too.

The range on it isn't infinite so there is a limit, but the range is too much.

Raide

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well I like to hide in bushes in Caspian and I've been picked off easily which should be impossible unless someone is right on top of me or I get a shot off, so yeah, it impacts the bigger maps too.

The range on it isn't infinite so there is a limit, but the range is too much.

Sounds like the one in MW2 (I cannot remember the name but the enemy shows up white) it felt way too easy to spot people with it.

Lowering the range sounds like the best plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom