• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Raide said:
How does it change for the long range maps? I can see it being devastating in CQC maps like Metro etc.
It works even better on larger maps as you can see people hiding pretty far away.

Raide

Ikuu said:
It works even better on larger maps as you can see people hiding pretty far away.

Eww.

I have not had chance to jump into BF3 yet but it sounds like one of those things that will annoy early players until they nerf/tweak it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yep, also it should be affected by light a whole lot more, like NV goggles. Anyone who has ever tried wearing those during the day knows its insane. And shining a flashlight on it should blind/disorient you for a few seconds.

It actually would be a useful counter strategy that people have asked for before. Tone down flashlights and IRNV on lighted maps, and make them counters for each other on night/dark maps and areas.

mbmonk

95% of the community suggested fixed mentioned in the Battlelog 2 update are basic things that should have been included at launch.

It may just be the cynic in me, but that is passing of basic functionality that has come to be the standard in the industry/genre as "community inspired" changes seems like a marketing tactic.

Filtering out servers that are password protected has been around for how many years now? Thank god John Q made a thread making DICE aware of that one!

It's like General Motors creating a feedback website in 2011 and then came out with a press release stating they were going to add windshields to next years lineup of cars because "we received a request from John Q on our website.." *wink* *wink*. Windshields have been a standard in cars for a long time. So trying to pass off "adding windshields" as a result of their new "Get satisfaction website" is a bit absurd. It's an standard that has been around for ages. You didn't need a website to know adding server filtering by password is what people wanted.

EDIT: I am probably being overly harsh here. I admit it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AndyD said:
Yep, also it should be affected by light a whole lot more, like NV goggles. Anyone who has ever tried wearing those during the day knows its insane. And shining a flashlight on it should blind/disorient you for a few seconds.

It actually would be a useful counter strategy that people have asked for before. Tone down flashlights and IRNV on lighted maps, and make them counters for each other on night/dark maps and areas.

I have no problem with flashlights because it prevents the use of silencers, which I feel is a much better attachment.

Raide said:
Eww.

I have not had chance to jump into BF3 yet but it sounds like one of those things that will annoy early players until they nerf/tweak it.

Yesterday i was playing Tehran highway and this guy was "sniping" my entire team with a normal M4 using the IRNV from across the map, they really need to do something about it.

schnell

EVIL said:
how and when do you get dynamic dogtags?

I believe the respective dogtag is unlocked when you earn a medal for it (So you would get the All Your Base dogtag for unlocking the Conquest Medal which is earned by earning the Conquest Winner Ribbon 50 times/winning 50 games of conquest)

elco

So I read the news about the updates on battlelog. Are these going to fix squad issues on PS3? Specifically I mean squading up with friends pregame and then joining a server only to be thrown on separate teams or squads. Also it said 10am CET. Did that already happen, or is that tomorrow? I did not see a date in the post.

Mr_eX

StoppedInTracks said:
IRNV needs a fucking NERF, stat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBFaHVux8Ro

It's basically godgun.
I unlocked that in the beta, it's good for short to mid range but at a distance you can't see anything. Plus if there's fire around its useless because enemies just blend in. I may be wrong about this one but I think after you've been firing for a while the heat from your gun makes it so you can't see anything at all. I unlocked it for the M60 last night and I'm wondering if I should even bother using it since I actually provide cover/suppressive fire so I fire my gun for long periods of time.

I got the service star for both the support class and the m60 last night. So now that I've unlocked all the support guns I just need to get all the unlocks for each weapon.

There will be a rolling restart of the gameservers. If you are currently on a gameserver that is currently deploying the latest gameserver, you will be disconnected. This maintenance applies for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

* Crashfixes
* RCON bugfixes; banList.add can now ban on player name
* Fixes for team & squad handling, both during and between rounds

Would like more details on "squad handling".

Megasoum

Banned
Mr_eX said:
I unlocked that in the beta, it's good for short to mid range but at a distance you can't see anything. Plus if there's fire around its useless because enemies just blend in. I may be wrong about this one but I think after you've been firing for a while the heat from your gun makes it so you can't see anything at all. I unlocked it for the M60 last night and I'm wondering if I should even bother using it since I actually provide cover/suppressive fire so I fire my gun for long periods of time.

I got the service star for both the support class and the m60 last night. So now that I've unlocked all the support guns I just need to get all the unlocks for each weapon.

Check the videos, it's completly different from beta. I remember not liking it too much in the beta because it had a lots of limitation...in the retail game however it's like playing BF3 with the Detective vision from Batman's games....

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Megasoum said:
Check the videos, it's completly different from beta. I remember not liking it too much in the beta because it had a lots of limitation...in the retail game however it's like playing BF3 with the Detective vision from Batman's games....

You guys are overreacting it doesn't see through walls or anything. Sure you can see a dude a little better that is hiding in bushes. There are also drawbacks like slower ads time, and limited peripheral vision.

I just unlocked it for the SCAR maybe I suck with it but I don't feel it's overpowered. I guess that opinion might change later when I unlock it on one of the LMGs I like.

vehn

Megasoum said:

heh yeah it is

My teammates, and more annoyingly, squadmates, keep driving off with me running along in their wake, leaving me to trudge to the objectives on my own. Is this a problem with the playerbase on all versions of the game, and will it improve as the newcomers move on to other games? Cheers

blahness

Megasoum said:

yeah i remember using it only once the action moved to the dark metro tunnels. Outside it wasnt as useful.

FoggyFreek

Please vote for my idea!
http://getsatisfaction.com/battlefield3/topics/server_skill_level_restrictions

Lookin at the coming months, a lot of new players will enter the battlefield and i think they will get very frustrated. Bad thing is, they will stop playing very quickly. To prevent this, I would like to see an option to have Skill level requirements on servers.

This way, people with a lower skill level can still have fun and don't have to be cannon fodder for the 3l1te players.
Other way around, very skilled players will be able to have intense fights with soldiers with the same skill level.

How? Just add skillRequirement flag and a minSkillLevel and maxSkillLevel parameter.

- Everyone (turn off skillRequirement flag)
- Skill level below 0 (-400, 0)
- Skill level between -100 and -50 (-100, -50)
- Elite server (50, 400)

Then add a filter in Battlelog that says : Only Servers with skill restrictions

When off, we show all servers with skillRequirement OFF and all servers where my current skill numbers falls within the min-max ranges.
When on, we show only servers where my current skill numbers falls within the min-max ranges.

PaNaMa

Banned
TheSeks said:
ITT: Shitty snipers admit to being shitty snipers.

Why are you firing the SV98 in close range when you should be using your pistol? Why are you sitting in a spot for the whole round when you should be moving?

In his defense tho, I agree sniping is a lot harder. Hitting someone in the head from from 200-300 yards isn't easy. The "head zone" hit box seems smaller in BF3 than BFBC2. If I rail someone in the upper torso from that distance I'm generally pretty pleased with my shot - but the guy doesn't die, and I never get the kill cause he moves during my reload animation (Sv98 being single shot).

They often strafe back out and machine gun spam my red triangle til I'm dead.

In short (I find) it's a lot easier to kill someone from 250 yards with a machine gun than it is with a bolt action sniper rifle. Unless your first shot is perfect, that is.
Admittedly, I'm not very good at sniping tho. But I did well with it in BFBC2, so I know it's a lot harder in BF3

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AndyD said:
Whoa. I didnt realize that's what it did. Seems overpowered to me.
That's hardcore mode dude. I don't see the IRNV killing me particularly more than any other sight, and this is even among those players running around with Russian sights on their M4s. There's plenty of disadvantages to the thing, like a loss of peripheral vision and slow sighting time. I keep it on my SIG 553, but only because I use it in particularly dark maps like Damivad Peak or Teran Highway. In the meantime, I'm going to actually try and up my other weapons to at least the 1st service star.

RS4- said:
Feels good, my #5 top weapon: knife

knife needs unlockable stuff

knife2.JPG

zlatko

Banned
PaNaMa said:
In his defense tho, I agree sniping is a lot harder. Hitting someone in the head from from 200-300 yards isn't easy. The "head zone" hit box seems smaller in BF3 than BFBC2. If I rail someone in the upper torso from that distance I'm generally pretty pleased with my shot - but the guy doesn't die, and I never get the kill cause he moves during my reload animation (Sv98 being single shot).

They often strafe back out and machine gun spam my red triangle til I'm dead.

In short (I find) it's a lot easier to kill someone from 250 yards with a machine gun than it is with a bolt action sniper rifle. Unless your first shot is perfect, that is.
Admittedly, I'm not very good at sniping tho. But I did well with it in BFBC2, so I know it's a lot harder in BF3

100% agree with everything you said here. I'm still in the mindset that Recon is by far the most shitty class in the game. It did a lot better in BFBC2 and it had a lot to do with both the weapons they were given, the damage they dealt, and the maps.

I can try to line up perfect shots but I'll have moments where I watch the bullet hit their head and it doesn't give me headshots. The only use I've found for recon in this game is if you want to hold down a spot/are playing Rush, and you just use your spawn satellite somewhere, then swap classes.

It's sort of messed up that you can spawn as w/e class you want on the spawn spots you create. :/

todahawk

zlatko said:
100% agree with everything you said here. I'm still in the mindset that Recon is by far the most shitty class in the game. It did a lot better in BFBC2 and it had a lot to do with both the weapons they were given, the damage they dealt, and the maps.

I can try to line up perfect shots but I'll have moments where I watch the bullet hit their head and it doesn't give me headshots. The only use I've found for recon in this game is if you want to hold down a spot/are playing Rush, and you just use your spawn satellite somewhere, then swap classes.

It's sort of messed up that you can spawn as w/e class you want on the spawn spots you create. :/

Yeah, I hope they give recon some love. There's some good unlock-able gadgets but I'm not feeling it at all. I loved recon in BC2 but it just hasn't clicked with me at all yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The_Hitcher89 said:
My teammates, and more annoyingly, squadmates, keep driving off with me running along in their wake, leaving me to trudge to the objectives on my own. Is this a problem with the playerbase on all versions of the game, and will it improve as the newcomers move on to other games? Cheers

I think its always been an issue early on, but it does get better.

Part of it is that vehicles just dont have a lot of slots. One of the maps starts you off with 4-5 tanks and 1 jeep. Thats maybe 15 slots total and you have 30 people spawn. Leaving a lot of people to walk, or wait to spawn at a capture point.

Part of it is that you can't call out for a ride. Like asking for ammo/healing we should be able to yell and ask for a ride. And horns on the vehicles too to get people to hop in.

Anton Sugar said:
I like! Hope we can get more details on how skill is calculated, though.

EDIT: Hmm, on second thought, as a server side setting (didn't see this)...it would suck to not be able to play with friends because you aren't the same skill level. I'm all for some sort of filtering method based on skill, just not sure what the best would be.

the only skill setting that would be cool would be servers that handicapped very skilled players so that it provided a more fair playing ground for newbies and those that aren't as skilled. Example, a very skilled (elite) player would not be able to use certain weapons or gadgets on their weapons. They would show up on the scoreboards marked as elite so that people knew they were at a disadvantage and also to stroke their epeen. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that but certainly do not want to see them not allowing certain players to play based on skill. Regardless, I still don't like the idea but was just toying with options of how they could make something like that work.

RotBot

Here's the beta IRNV indoors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4FRsfiUpA

In the beta, it had a much lower contrast between players and environment. Contrast diminished with distance, so it became less useful at longer ranges. Bodies were orange and the environment was green at about the same brightness. In retail, bodies are bright white with no distance dropoff and the environment is dark gray.

In the beta, smoke from your muzzle would obscure your vision while you're firing. In retail, your vision remains perfectly clear while firing.

AndyD said:
I think its always been an issue early on, but it does get better.

Part of it is that vehicles just dont have a lot of slots. One of the maps starts you off with 4-5 tanks and 1 jeep. Thats maybe 15 slots total and you have 30 people spawn. Leaving a lot of people to walk, or wait to spawn at a capture point.

Part of it is that you can't call out for a ride. Like asking for ammo/healing we should be able to yell and ask for a ride. And horns on the vehicles too to get people to hop in.

Thanks, that's reassuring at least. Its not a huge problem on most of the maps, but when you're playing Conquest on Operation Firestorm (I think) and have to run 500 metres because a squadmate has driven off on his own in a jeep it riles me in a way that isn't healthy or reasonable.

Out of interest, is there actually any use for the jets other than parachuting behind enemy lines? And fun, of course.

I feel like, at least as a bad pilot, it's too hard to stay alive in the air. When it's just me versus other helis/jets it's bad enough, but with the added lock-ons from below there simply isn't enough flares to go around. I'm trying to slowly grind my way for some good unlocks, but unless I join a fairly empty server I can't last in the air for any substantial time.

The_Hitcher89 said:

The quality of players should and hopefully will improve come Tuesday.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I feel like, at least as a bad pilot, it's too hard to stay alive in the air. When it's just me versus other helis/jets it's bad enough, but with the added lock-ons from below there simply isn't enough flares to go around. I'm trying to slowly grind my way for some good unlocks, but unless I join a fairly empty server I can't last in the air for any substantial time.

I had a dream last night that flying jets in BF3 was easy. No lie.

Really need to set up my gamepad.

Prezhulio

how many concurrent anti-tank mines can one player throw out?

i think i had 9 out last night, and they didn't disappear after i died, which i feel like they did in bc2? maybe i'm thinking about cod claymores.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ii Stryker said:
I'm thinking the same thing. No one spots or plays the fucking objectives, irritating as shit.

Don't get your hopes up, this kind of shit always comes up. You're still gonna have shotgun abusers, recon campers, and non spotters.

RotBot

Foliorum Viridum said:
Lately, I've been landing the jet to repair with my torch. It has a surprising tolerance for ground contact once you get below 300 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom