• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The_Hitcher89 said:
Out of interest, is there actually any use for the jets other than parachuting behind enemy lines? And fun, of course.

I would say the whole game is about fun.

And jets can be good to take out helis and tanks. Not so much against infantry though. I have spent 0 minutes in a jet myself, because I know from previous games there are excellent pilots out there who chew newbies for breakfast and I am having a great time on the ground or riding in a heli.

FoggyFreek

Anton Sugar said:
I like! Hope we can get more details on how skill is calculated, though.

EDIT: Hmm, on second thought, as a server side setting (didn't see this)...it would suck to not be able to play with friends because you aren't the same skill level. I'm all for some sort of filtering method based on skill, just not sure what the best would be.
Bad Company 2 had a samey kinda thing. You would join a server that had a average skill level that matched yours. When you added your 'elite' friends, the average skill level for that server would go up which would mean better players could enter the server.
BC had no server browser so everybody joined this way via Quick Match.

Hey guys, since it's apparent that DICE does look at Get Satisfaction suggestions, I really think we should take advantage of this and get support for some of these ideas. Please go to these and "like" the idea in order to get the attention of DICE. Unlike a petition or random forum post, this site actually IS looked at by DICE, so it's the best place to contribute.

Note: you may want to make sure you disable the "follow" function, which auto-enables when you like a topic, or you'll get a lot of emails.

Customize Weapon Loadouts Directly from Battlelog
New In-Game UI
When dead, give us options/squad/weapons/classes menu earlier instead of showing deathcam only
In-game ping on scoreboard
6 man squads, Commanders, full detailed map view and squad orders!
Ability to quit after a round has completed
End of round chat
Make chat window smaller or resizable
Practice mode/free roam

Alienshogun said:
Don't get your hopes up, this kind of shit always comes up. You're still gonna have shotgun abusers, recon campers, and non spotters.

I'll try remain optimistic, sadly you're probably right.

Prezhulio said:
how many concurrent anti-tank mines can one player throw out?

i think i had 9 out last night, and they didn't disappear after i died, which i feel like they did in bc2? maybe i'm think about cod claymores.

It was 6 in BC2, but I think it may be more in BF3. IIRC I too have had more than 6 mines out at one time and were registering kills with them. But it may have been after I died once and then laid out more mines. Try testing with a friend running with support.

The_Hitcher89 said:
Out of interest, is there actually any use for the jets other than parachuting behind enemy lines? And fun, of course.

nope, they are for fun only at the moment. i have never been killed by one and I am level 31 so its not like I haven't seen much gametime. I also have never seen anybody in a jet even slightly alter the course of the battle.

Right now jets are for three things.
1: to fly around and dogfight against other useless jet players
2: to get to the other side of map quickly and parachute out
3: to complain to other people about stealing their jet they were waiting for!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do you unlock the IRNV? Just keep killing players with the same gun until you get it? Can you equip it on all guns?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Bisnic said:
How do you unlock the IRNV? Just keep killing players with the same gun until you get it? Can you equip it on all guns?

100 kills. Do team deathmatch to make it go faster.

darkwing

Relaxed Muscle said:
Dosn't the IRNV has sway?, I'm pretty sure it had on the beta it was light but it was there, it was quite rad on the Beta but it was far from OP.

not really, and you can hold L3 to hold your breath

yup it is awesomesauce

Deadly

Anton Sugar said:
Hey guys, since it's apparent that DICE does look at Get Satisfaction suggestions, I really think we should take advantage of this and get support for some of these ideas. Please go to these and "like" the idea in order to get the attention of DICE. Unlike a petition or random forum post, this site actually IS looked at by DICE, so it's the best place to contribute.

Note: you may want to make sure you disable the "follow" function, which auto-enables when you like a topic, or you'll get a lot of emails.

New In-Game UI
When dead, give us options/squad/weapons/classes menu earlier instead of showing deathcam only
End of round chat
Practice mode/free roam
As much as I'd LOVE some of these. Wouldn't some stuff require some major revamp in their programming? Like the UI for example.

Spl1nter

Deadly said:
As much as I'd LOVE some of these. Wouldn't some stuff require some major revamp in their programming? Like the UI for example.

Depends what they use to create their UI. Usually changing UI is quite easy.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I voted for:

I'd really like to have these two. Vote dudes.

Deadly said:

The UI is actually one that they've commented on and said they liked:

Very good, hands-on suggestions of an alternative spawn/squad UI.
As you may understand, changing interfaces like this involves a lot of things both conceptually and technically. But with such concrete feedback, it definitely makes it easier for us to understand what ideas you have. We'll keep our eyes on this thread.

One can hope. For example, I HIGHLY doubt we'll see 6 man squads, return of commander, etc., but it's one of the more popular suggestions.

I just added one of my own, so please like it if you support it:

Improving Party & Join as Party functionality

Joining as a party works great for getting everyone in the same game, but most of the time, people want to be able to be in the same squad and/or on the same faction side when they join together.

I propose that when you try to join a server with a party, that the following attempts are made (in order of importance)

-You always enter the game with your party in the same faction--it does not get split up and your party's "slots" on the server are reserved the moment you click "Join as Party"
-As parties can be up to 8 friends, a single party joining a server on one faction's side can imbalance the game. Battlelog would need to have intelligent matchmaking to balance, and there are two obvious way. If you joined a game like this:

US
Random Player
Random Player
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend

RU
Random Player
Random Player

The Party would not actually join the game until at least 7 more slots on the RU side are filled/reserved by other players--Battlelog would need to recognize that a large party has joined a game and prioritize filling up that server with players finding games via Quickmatch.

The other scenario involves moving players not squadded up to the other side as a way of balancing. So four party friends join the US side:

US
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Party Friend
Player not in squad
Player not in squad

RU
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Alpha Squad Player
Player not in squad

The two players that are not in a squad from the US side would be moved to the RU side once the Party joins the US side, as it can be assumed the un-squadded players are least likely to be playing with friends.

The party functionality is a step in the right direction, but needs some refinement in order to keep friends playing together.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anton Sugar said:
They (thankfully) removed one-hit body kills with the sniper rifles, whereas they were possible in BC2. Game is better for it.

Indeed. You shouldn't be running around with an SV98 (you know, a "sniper rifle") firing it at "close range." Shitty snipers do that. Real snipers switch to pistol if going close, otherwise they hang in the back. Fire a few shots and MOVE with the pistol before switching back to reset.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anton Sugar said:

New In-Game UI
End of round chat
Practice mode/free roam

Only one I really want is the free roam mode. But I don't want it enough to sign up for a service they could implement into Battlelog.

It/Practice Mode and Battlerecoder are all I want. I don't care about Commander enough to miss it nor do I care about selecting things while the killcam is showing.

Whoops, didn't mean to double post.

something seriously has to be done about the mortar.

give it a long ass reload time or something. It's making some maps unplayable.

4 guys sitting in their spawn, immune to anyone hurting them on seine crossing, makes the map unwinnable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KingOfKong said:
nope, they are for fun only at the moment. i have never been killed by one and I am level 31 so its not like I haven't seen much gametime. I also have never seen anybody in a jet even slightly alter the course of the battle.

Right now jets are for three things.
1: to fly around and dogfight against other useless jet players
2: to get to the other side of map quickly and parachute out
3: to complain to other people about stealing their jet they were waiting for!
Yeah, jets are kind of broken right now. One of the biggest problems is the lack of throttle control. You just zip right past all your targets at full speed. The other problem is the lack of effective ATG weaponry.

J-Rock

Banned
I'd like to see them add some more voice work mixed with asking for things needed. Hit a button and your character shouts out "I need some fucking ammo!" or "MEDIC! I need a MEDIC!" and then highlights you in some way on the screen and mini map.

Miggytronz

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...11/11/03/looking-ahead-for-battlefield-3.aspx

First off, here are the latest improvements we are rolling out to Battlefield 3 as we write this.

Squad Functionality: Improved!
Today, we rolled out a number of fixes that will improve squad functionality. Specifically these fixes will improve squad stability and lessen the risk of your squad getting split up when joining a game. Keep gaming, and keep sending us your feedback so we can hunt down any outstanding squad issues.

Default Server Region Setting: Improved!
In the manual server browser on Xbox 360, there was an issue where US players would sometimes be defaulted to European servers. We rolled out a fix for this today. You can still set your preferred region(s) in the server browser, and it's a great tool to find your favorite servers, game modes, and gamer friends. Check out this handy guide for everything you can do with the console server browser, and let us know what you think!

Game Stability: Improved!
Today, we rolled out fixes for several game crash issues. Let us know if this fixes any issues you have had.

Our dedicated Back to Karkand team continues to make awesome progress on this expansion pack, which will be available in December at no extra charge to everyone who pre-ordered Battlefield 3. If you didn’t pre-order, you’ll be able to purchase it for $14.99, 1200 Microsoft Points, or the equivalent in your local currency, at the same date.

It contains four of the most loved Battlefield 2 maps boldly re-imagined in Frostbite 2: Gulf of Oman, Sharqi Peninsula, Strike at Karkand, and Wake Island. You'll also get to patrol the battlefield with your favorite Battlefield 2 vehicles and weapons, and the expansion pack also features the return of the exciting variation on Conquest called Conquest Assault (more on that later). And for those of you who love your persistence, you'll get new "Assignments" to complete for unlocks (we'll talk more about Assignments soon)!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't want to resize the chat box, I want to nuke the piece of shit from high orbit. Literally nothing useful comes from it for me.

And LOL @ Conquest Assault finally being brought back. Karkand would have been lame as shit with the current Conquest Head On that Dice has decided it should use for everything.

zlatko

Banned
So that patch that went up for battlelog what did it do?

My loadouts all reverted when I played after I ran it. ; ; Plus, it never saves my camo appearance. Ugh.

FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA!

Squad Functionality: Improved!
Today, we rolled out a number of fixes that will improve squad functionality. Specifically these fixes will improve squad stability and lessen the risk of your squad getting split up when joining a game. Keep gaming, and keep sending us your feedback so we can hunt down any outstanding squad issues.

For the love of god, just make joining as a squad as simple as it was in BC2. And lessen the risk of getting split? How about eliminating it all together DICE? If I join as a squad, put us on the same team, at the same time. None of this split squad or joining the game queue bullshit.

Mikasangelos said:
uh your complaints are what they patched breh. calm down.

Certainly hope so. Joining as a squad is a joke right now and it is much easier to join someone in a match, than joining as a squad. Glad to see DICE working on things that should have been fixed Day One though.

Miggytronz

Darkshier said:
For the love of god, just make joining as a squad as simple as it was in BC2. And lessen the risk of getting split? How about eliminating it all together DICE? If I join as a squad, put us on the same team, at the same time. None of this split squad or joining the game queue bullshit.
uh your complaints are what they patched breh. calm down.

woober

Stallion Free said:
I don't want to resize the chat box, I want to nuke the piece of shit from high orbit. Literally nothing useful comes from it for me.

And LOL @ Conquest Assault finally being brought back. Karkand would have been lame as shit with the current Conquest Head On that Dice has decided it should use for everything.

What's Conquest Head On/ Assault being brought back? Sorry for being lazy to search, but I get the feeling a few others may ask this as well. Or is that a joke? :X

EVIL

Anton Sugar said:

These are the ones I like, especially 6 player squads, but instead of a commander, beef the squad leaders role, I want to be able to call in an artillery strike and request support from other squads (The other squad sees a bigger eye catching icon, maybe lighting bolts on the side of the targets, and when they help it gives you and the other squad bonus points.)

Stallion Free said:

What is the difference between the current Conquest in BF3 and Conquest Assault?

I never played BF2. Went straight from 1942/Desert Combat to BC2. Blame Halo.

DietRob

Who here has successfully redeemed a Dr. Pepper code?

I have 3 sitting here and every one of them is giving me an invalid code. Are there dash marks or some other bullshit I should be putting in?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
woober said:
What's Conquest Head On/ Assault being brought back? Sorry for being lazy to search, but I get the feeling a few others may ask this as well. Or is that a joke? :X
Conquest head on is each team has an uncapable base and then there are 5-7 flags between them that start uncaptured. If you have more than half the other teams tickets bleed.

Conquest assault is one team has uncap base and the other team has all 7+ points. The attackers want to capture points to stop their tickets from bleeding (they are bleeding from the start). Any point can be captured at any time (unlike rush where you are limited to attacking a stage).

Just added another idea: Flashlight brightness based on HDR lighting OR indoor/outdoor location

The flashlight currently has an implementation that begs for trolling/griefing. For whatever reason, it is ridiculously bright even during the day time. This was a common complaint during the beta and it hasn't improved. There are two obvious possibilities for the functionality to improve:

The game already has HDR implemented, where the brightness of the game dynamically adjusts based on whether you're looking into/at shadows or at a bright area. If possible, the brightness of the flashlight could dynamically adjust based on this.

-If the player's eyesight has adjusted to darkness (bright of a dark room increases gradually up to a point, simulating eyes/pupils allowing more light), the flashlight should be BRIGHT, as it's amplifying all available light
-If the player's eyesight has adjusted to brightness (shadows get extremely black, simulating eyes/pupils not allowing as much light in), flashlight remains very weak

The other, less preferable way is based on the behavior of the Radio Beacon. When a Radio Beacon is placed indoors, you spawn directly on a teammate--when it's placed outdoors, you spawn in with your parachute. I don't know exactly how DICE determines this, but clearly the difference between indoors and outdoors can be differentiated.

So when using the flashlight:

-If player and enemy with flashlight are both indoors, flashlight is at full power
-If player and enemy with flashlight are both outdoors, flashlight is at little to no power (faint glow on front of the weapon)
-If player is outdoors and enemy with flashlight is indoors, flashlight is at little to no power
-If player is indoors and enemy with flashlight is outdoors, flashlight is at (or near) full power

This isn't perfect, but would at least allow for some variance in the flashlight's strength.

Miggytronz

RbBrdMan said:

I have 3 sitting here and every one of them is giving me an invalid code. Are there dash marks or some other bullshit I should be putting in?

Nope ive redeemed the CAMO and 2 of the dog tags. I put the code in with no spaces or dashes.

IRNV scopes are insane. The only class I play is engineer and as soon as I unlock them on each weapon they stay on. I kind of feel like I have a serious advantage over others not using them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
RbBrdMan said:

Nope no dashes I just put in the code with no spaces.

darkwing

PaleFolklore said:
IRNV scopes are insane. The only class I play is engineer and as soon as I unlock them on each weapon they stay on. I kind of feel like I have a serious advantage over others not using them. What does everyone else think of them?

they are awesome, i don't leave home without it

belvedere

Junior Butler
PaleFolklore said:
IRNV scopes are insane. The only class I play is engineer and as soon as I unlock them on each weapon they stay on. I kind of feel like I have a serious advantage over others not using them. What does everyone else think of them?

Check the last 3 pages.

woober

Stallion Free said:
Conquest head on is each team has an uncapable base and then there are 5-7 flags between them that start uncaptured. If you have more than half the other teams tickets bleed.

Conquest assault is one team has uncap base and the other team has all 7+ points. The attackers want to capture points to stop their tickets from bleeding (they are bleeding from the start). Any point can be captured at any time (unlike rush where you are limited to attacking a stage).

Oh my god, yes. I loved capping one of the MEC's further bases (Suburb or Factory) in Strike at Karkand while everyone is distracted at the front. I never really noticed they don't make maps with that setup until now.

DietRob

Nelo Ice said:
Nope no dashes I just put in the code with no spaces.

That is not working for me. I've tried with caps lock on, caps lock off, with a space, with a dash, for PC, for PS3, I even tried to redeem a code for battlefield heroes. None of them work.

So fucking pissed. Same shit happened to me last time with BC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom