• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't know if you guys know this but on the PS3 Squad Rush is full of boosters!

Just entered a couple of servers and everyone is just boosting...

I enjoy the free kills but after they clock on...they just leave meaning the game has to reset...

zephervack said:
Cant remember the last time I got so frustrated and angry while playing a game.

I think im done with the recon, I dont like playing "sniper", I like moving around and spotting for my friends, between the ridiculous screen shake, not being able to stayed scoped because of the scope flair, eveyone using IRNV and killing me before i even see them, the inability to do anything against vehicles, etc.

Also why is the SV98 so underpowered, 75% damage, are you kidding?, even at short range it does the same damage, you get killed before you can pull out your gun to finish the job, thats how i used to do it in BC2 and it worked great.

End of rant, sorry :(
use a shotgun?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
gray_fox224 said:
Can the Enginner class hold its own of maps with long range battles? I see it as a class where it's strength only lies in the short-mid range...

Engineer does well in all map types.

icechai

gray_fox224 said:
Can the Enginner class hold its own on maps where long range shooting is necessary?

SCAR, a few of the other guns w/ IRNV or another attachment, and RPG makes it work in all ranges that might affect the outcome of a capture point. Which is why they are getting a nerf on the rifle. But its kind of sad when hallways these days just turn into a stream of rockets from RPG because they are so effective against infantry.

icechai said:
SCAR, a few of the other guns w/ IRNV or another attachment, and RPG makes it work in all ranges that might affect the outcome of a capture point. Which is why they are getting a nerf on the rifle. But its kind of sad when hallways these days just turn into a stream of rockets from RPG because they are so effective against infantry.

THIS!

every single map that has a hallway turns into rocket hall.

Miggytronz

mr_nothin said:
Cross post from the other thread:
It's really easy once you figure out exactly what settings do what. Also, there's a few injectors out there that makes everything easy for you so you dont have to shift through too much code.

can you provide before and after pics.

AndyD

aka andydumi
FlyinJ said:
I asked this before, and never got a response:

What are the rules for spotting? On a regular, non-hardcore server, why does it sometimes work flawlessly and sometimes never? What is that "plonk" noise that sounds after you press the spot key more than 5 times in a row?

I'll have a tank right in the middle of my screen, nothing blocking line of sight, and 1/4 of the time it won't spot even after numerous presses of the spot key. Neither an icon on the minimap nor an icon over the tank. Again, this is on a non-hardcore server.

Also, what determines when the spot "goes away"? I've successfully spotted a tank to only have the spotted icon disappear 1 second after I spotted it, even though I was still looking directly at it.

With a tag like that, not sure I want to answer, but here goes:

Spotting has a cooldown. So if you press it too many times it "overheats" and you get the blonk noise. Then you can't spot for 5-10 seconds not sure. And if you press it during that time the timer resets for 5-10 seconds again.

So with the tank it could be that you are pressing it too much, too often and its overheated. Spotting is not to be spammed all the time and pray you see someone, so the cooldown prevents the spamming.

As to why it goes away, for people it goes away when they are out of your line of sight. For vehicles it lasts a little while after line of sight is lost. Also, some vehicles have smoke or whatever they deploy which can remove spotting and laser designations even if you are still looking at them.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.

J-Rzez

icechai said:

Yes, RPGs and the sort need to be toned down against infantry big time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Radec said:
Respawn points on some maps are totally horrible.

:/
Especially if you're trying to go to a point the enemy's trying to cap, and you end up spawning in the middle of a squad. Though sometimes they don't react at all, and you can wipe them all out. :D

daedalius

So, point of playing Recon in BF3?

Only gameplay type that is viable is sniper, as mid-range single shot can't compete with automatic weapons with 4x scopes.

I really enjoyed my semi-auto rifles and motion mines in BFBC2; motion mines are gone and replaced with garbage, semi-auto rifles lose to 4x SCARs.

Also crashing between every map is cool, and spawn points are garbage.

wtf at that INRV video, assault rifle that has no kick and perfect view of enemies?

zephervack said:
Hmm, did you even read my post?, I mentioned I dont like camping, thats my issue, the recon class in this game feels like its designed to encourage camping, in BC2 i was able to run around and kill people at close range with the SV98 whenever i ran into someone during my runs. Now, the speed it takes to draw my pistol out is so slow that by the time its done with the animation, Im already dead, again, seems that I should be camping, thats why im giving up the Recon class.

Believe me, i gave it a chance, but eventually i just realized im not having fun with it.

Game just wants you to play with the overpowered Engineer, like everyone else is doing :(

Oh hey look someone that plays just like I do and is having the same problem.

commish

daedalius said:

Only gameplay type that is viable is sniper, as mid-range single shot can't compete with automatic weapons with 4x scopes.

I really enjoyed my semi-auto rifles and motion mines in BFBC2; motion mines are gone and replaced with garbage, semi-auto rifles lose to 4x SCARs.

wtf at that INRV video, assault rifle that has no kick and perfect view of enemies?

MW3 comes out in a few days!

commish

JetBlackPanda said:
THIS!

every single map that has a hallway turns into rocket hall.

I'm the #1 fan of spamming rockets in hallways. You have to, it's the only way to go through them w/o taking a rocket yourself.

OG Kush

IRNV is so fucking beastly! Playing on 360 and I hardly see any support classes, which is really annoying as I generally get quite low on ammo (especially grenades!). I use the ammo perk to counteract this but I wish I didnt have to...
SO MANY FUCKING ENGINNERS YET THEY NEVER REPAIR. Dice need to balance the classes properly..

Flunkie

Banned
Thoroughly enjoying this on PS3. I know I'd be enjoying it a lot more on PC, but I've bought way too many games lately.

^And yeah, tons of engineers.

Spl1nter

daedalius said:

Recon is really not that much weaker than any of the other classes. They are an extremely powerful support class. The MAV is probably the best gadget in the game. It may even be a little OP. The radio beacon is very useful in helping mount an assault on a cp or mcom. I think the semi-auto sniper rifles are garbage, but the m98b is a beast. I still think scope glint is to obvious, makes snipers standout too easily. The reason they may be perceived as a weak class is that they require close teamwork and and good squad to support. Unlike other battlefield games, the recon/sniper class is basically useless if used lone wolf.

When I have time I will make a detailed post about the recon class.

Binabik15

Playing single player.

HOLY

FUCK

@

THEM

GRAPHICS

Needs a high-res texture pack for some things like earth in those plant pots on the highways, the ground you´re crawling over after the first quake and probably a lot more things, but dat lighting.

1stStrike

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Recon is really not that much weaker than any of the other classes. They are an extremely powerful support class. The MAV is probably the best gadget in the game. It may even be a little OP. The radio beacon is very useful in helping mount an assault on a cp or mcom. I think the semi-auto sniper rifles are garbage, but the m98b is a beast. I still think scope glint is to obvious, makes snipers standout too easily. When I have time I will make a detailed post about the recon class. The reason they may be perceived as a weak class is that they require close teamwork and and good squad to support. Unlike other battlefield games, the recon/sniper class is basically useless if used lone wolf.

LLShC.gif

Spl1nter fucked me up hard with that m98 yesterday. It's no joke.

daedalius said:

playing as an offensive sniper is only good in hardcore mode. In normal mode it truly is a Recon class and really effective when used to support your squad and team.

mxgt

Banned
Radec said:
Respawn points on some maps are totally horrible.

:/

The amount of times I've spawned on a a flag and immediately died because the game placed me in front of an enemy for no fucking reason is astounding.

It's the worst spawn system ever, never have I had so many deaths from shit spawns.

daedalius said:

I have the same problems as you, I gave up playing Recon on non Hardcore servers, Recon is pretty much useless on normal, too slow, cant do anything to vehicles, the damn deployables are a nightmare to plant, the MAV only serves to spot like crazy and some maps have such a low ceiling (Bazaar) that it is killed within seconds.

commish

Lakitu said:
So I have the game. Is it worth me to play the single-player through first or should I just dive right in to multi?

Why not try single player.... and if you like it... keep playing? If you don't, then stop playing.

Spl1nter

1stStrike said:
LLShC.gif

Spl1nter fucked me up hard with that m98 yesterday. It's no joke.

Im getting more and more used to the sniper rifles. Its going to take a lot of time but I am quite sure I can reach bc2 levels of success with the sniper rifles (helps headshot hit detection is alot better). The main difference will be that I am forced to play smart and cannot dick around 99% of the time like in bc2.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm loving the dissatisfaction that all the wanna-be sniper prodigies are experiencing with this game and the Recon class in general.

mxgt said:
The amount of times I've spawned on a a flag and immediately died because the game placed me in front of an enemy for no fucking reason is astounding.

It's the worst spawn system ever, never have I had so many deaths from shit spawns.

Ah, but the amount of kills I've gotten spawning on a flag behind enemies is several times greater.

Spl1nter

MrOogieBoogie said:
I'm loving the dissatisfaction that all the wanna-be sniper prodigies are experiencing with this game and the Recon class in general.

Well it is a highly skilled class and the unskilled hacks cant play the class. Feels good.

I despised the shit bush league snipers in bc2 who abused the 1hk radius and couldnt get a headshot to save their lives.

MrOogieBoogie said:

I think my main problem is comparing it too much to the recon in BC2, without a doubt they were pretty unbalanced in that game and now i cant get over the fact of how much they nerfed them.

Cobra84

SapientWolf said:
Ok, I need to correct myself. You have throttle control on the kb but air speed control on the jets is inexplicably broken on HOTAS joysticks with a separate throttle. Even though helicopters work perfectly.
I just gave up using my G940. The dead zones on the joystick the game sets were too big to be usable.

The game was designed to be used with a console controller, so I bought a wired Xbox 360 controller. I set up Ace Combat style controls and haven't had a single problem.

kitch9

Banned
icechai said:

Rockets are shit against infantry, they need to be nearly a direct hit.

kitch9

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:

Yup, a headshot deserves to drop in one, anything else no.

Thats what sniping should be all about.

Is there an easy way to identify AT Mines? They're nearly impossible to spot and they make all the vehicles on Grand Bazaar nearly useless since there are only two roads.

Manager

Jack Scofield said:
Is there an easy way to identify AT Mines? They're nearly impossible to spot and they make all the vehicles on Grand Bazaar nearly useless since there are only two roads.

IRNV shows them, no?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
AndyD said:
With a tag like that, not sure I want to answer, but here goes:

Spotting has a cooldown. So if you press it too many times it "overheats" and you get the blonk noise. Then you can't spot for 5-10 seconds not sure. And if you press it during that time the timer resets for 5-10 seconds again.

So with the tank it could be that you are pressing it too much, too often and its overheated. Spotting is not to be spammed all the time and pray you see someone, so the cooldown prevents the spamming.

As to why it goes away, for people it goes away when they are out of your line of sight. For vehicles it lasts a little while after line of sight is lost. Also, some vehicles have smoke or whatever they deploy which can remove spotting and laser designations even if you are still looking at them.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.

Tag?

Also, why does spotting sometimes not work at all, even when not spammed, when I'm clearly pressing it right over an enemy unit? It just seems to randomly not work sometimes. Is there a "can't spot" perk you can equip? Or is there an upper limit to the amount of things that can be spotted at one time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom