• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

PaNaMa said:
In his defense tho, I agree sniping is a lot harder. Hitting someone in the head from from 200-300 yards isn't easy. The "head zone" hit box seems smaller in BF3 than BFBC2. If I rail someone in the upper torso from that distance I'm generally pretty pleased with my shot - but the guy doesn't die, and I never get the kill cause he moves during my reload animation (Sv98 being single shot).

They often strafe back out and machine gun spam my red triangle til I'm dead.

In short (I find) it's a lot easier to kill someone from 250 yards with a machine gun than it is with a bolt action sniper rifle. Unless your first shot is perfect, that is.
Admittedly, I'm not very good at sniping tho. But I did well with it in BFBC2, so I know it's a lot harder in BF3

I never played BC2 but I've been putting a lot of time into the Recon class on BF3. I don't really agree with this. I've been rocking the SV98 and getting headshots over insane distances quite regularly. My current record is over 580 metres. I think the game is actually more generous with headshots over long distances.

Have I experienced situations where I felt I should have been awarded headshots but was not? Sure, many times but a lot of these were over medium distances where I may not have adequately accounted for bullet drop. These days, I just aim to the higher part of the head or even just a little above the head at such distances, and I'm having far less problems.

Oh, and I tend to be a really bad sniper in most FPSes.

Man, I thought I was fairly good at flying Jets until this level 35 guy with 200 Jet kills comes in and destroys me left and right. No matter what kind of maneuvers I do, he's right behind me. He could kill me in like 2 seconds too, it was ridiculous.

There really needs to be an all Jet playlist like in 1943. I need to get better!

icechai

MutantCyborg said:
Does anyone have any tips of flying on PC? Specifically jets but I'll take any advice I can get. I'm pretty comfortable lining up shots without the Air-to-Air missiles, but just basic flying messes me up sometimes (Sharp turns, missile avoidance, cannon avoidance). Do I need a joystick to become more than "okay" at flying in Battlefield? I never had the chance to fly in Battlefield 2 so I never really learned how to, but I've been getting pretty lucky spawns in Battlefield 3 and I am almost able to spawn on jets every other spawn.

Use a 360 controller. I was pretty stubborn about it but it makes a huge difference in how far you can bank your turns and circle around the other guys. Doing sharp turns especially around objects or the ground will throw the missile off most of the time. Cannon avoidance mainly right now is to not go near them, or sneak a guided missile up their behind.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
SteveO409 said:
GAF needs to randomize teammates because the stacked high level team on that server is annoying lol

Srsly, what the fuck, GAF? Boring games.

So I've been banned and out of the loop since BF3 came out. Have there been any good configs released for the PC version? Not that it needs it...this game is a feast for the senses.

Ok, I must be dumb because I can't find any solid info on it in any wiki or battlelog, but how do you get vehicle service stars?

Service MEDALS are 20 hours or something, but what about service stars? It's not 100 kills with a vehicle class since I have 150ish split across both tanks. Is it 100 with a specific sub vehicle?

Ryuuga

Banned
Oh nice an update? Wait I'm still getting disconnected frequently? So what has been changed? I'm done with this game until shit gets sorted, it's honestly just unacceptable at this point.

Cyrillus

So, I've got the game on Origin, but I have some friends that play on 360 that want me to join them. Will my battlelog info/unlocks maintain between versions?

Arment

SteveO409 said:
GAF needs to randomize teammates because the stacked high level team on that server is annoying lol

It's inevitable really. People switch to the better team and it keeps you there after the map loads.

On the other hand I'm generally playing with a friend on vent and I don't want our sides to always be switched every map. Tough one for sure.

snack

zlatko said:
Which pistol is the best? Is there one that stands out as being the beast of the batch?
Is it just me or are these pistols are worse than the ones from BC2? It takes a gizzilion rounds just to kill a dude with a pistol now.

snack said:
Is it just me or are these pistols are worse than the ones from BC2? It takes a gizzilion rounds just to kill a dude with a pistol now.

Aren't they buffing pistols? At least that's what I heard from a friend..

Speaking of Pistols, has anyone got a chance to use the Scoped .44 Magnum? If so, how is it?

Zeppelin

ColonelSkills said:
Ok, I must be dumb because I can't find any solid info on it in any wiki or battlelog, but how do you get vehicle service stars?

Service MEDALS are 20 hours or something, but what about service stars? It's not 100 kills with a vehicle class since I have 150ish split across both tanks. Is it 100 with a specific sub vehicle?

I'm not sure there are any service stars for vehicles?

Edit: Sorry, you are right. I just saw a dude who has dog tags for hitting MBT service stars 5 and 10.

zlatko

Banned
snack said:

They are definitely ass. I use the G17, and it's usually 4+ bullets to the chest to drop a guy at close range. :(

Zeppelin said:
I'm not sure there are any service stars for vehicles?

Edit: Sorry, you are right. I just saw a dude who has dog tags for hitting MBT service stars 5 and 10.

Yeah, and that can't be the same as one of those 20 hour Service Medals, can it? That would imply 100 and 200 hours in the vehicle type alone.

And the game's only really been out for 264 hours, give or take, so.

Makoto

ColonelSkills said:
Unlock everything for the vehicle. The amount of points needed for each service star will dramatically increase however.

Izayoi

Banned
zlatko said:
Thanks. I don't think I have the magnum unlocked yet, but I should have the M1911. :)
Have fun, the M1911 is damn good. I used it until I unlocked the 93R (co-op burst pistol) and the .44.

FINALBOSS

Banned
ANYONE ON PS3 wanna grind out the Co-Op guns by just doing a marathon session of the first co-op mission on Easy? It's gonna take me forever doing it with randoms.

PSN: FLNALBOSS

I'm on right now. Friend request me or something and let's knock these bad boys out.

Zeppelin

ColonelSkills said:
Yeah, and that can't be the same as one of those 20 hour Service Medals, can it? That would imply 100 and 200 hours in the vehicle type alone.

And the game's only really been out for 264 hours, give or take, so.

The guy I'm looking at, Ycory, has over 5 000 tank kills, so maybe it's one service star per 500 kills?

Izayoi

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
ANYONE ON PS3 wanna grind out the Co-Op guns by just doing a marathon session of the first co-op mission on Easy? It's gonna take me forever doing it with randoms.

PSN: FLNALBOSS

I'm on right now. Friend request me or something and let's knock these bad boys out.
The fastest way to get points in co-op is to run the first part of the final mission on easy.

Shoot only enemies you have to, never stop sprinting, never reload shotgun, fail the bomb disarm. 5000 points in under 1 minute.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Izayoi said:
The fastest way to get points in co-op is to run the first part of the final mission on easy.

Shoot only enemies you have to, never stop sprinting, never reload shotgun, fail the bomb disarm. 5000 points in under 1 minute.

No shit?

I don't have that one unlocked so whoever wants to do it will have to have it unlocked.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I swear DICE conspires against me getting the Air Warfar Ribbon so I can focus on M-COM Defense and 2 Nemesis Kills (the last two I need for "Decorated"/all ribbons besides Air Kills).

Join GAF with some would be pilots, get split and put on the other team. Join their team finally, none of the pilots are going to pilot.

SMH.

I don't have that one unlocked so whoever wants to do it will have to have it unlocked.

NAH-AH-AH that's not the right password.

You MUST do the other missions and unlock them before it allows you to play that mission, even if the other dude has it unlocked. Tough shit, do co-op.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
gray_fox224 said:
Can the Enginner class hold its own on maps where long range shooting is necessary?
gray_fox224 said:
Can the Enginner class hold its own of maps with long range battles? I see it as a class where it's strength only lies in the short-mid range...

What defines long range battles, cuz the Engineer class can hold its own against every other class except the Recon simply because the sniper rifles are more accurate at extreme ranges.

vidal said:
There are sometimes way too many mines...
GYiIH.png

No Such thing as too many mines.
Only too few vehicles.

- Service Star Engineer.

Kahoona

Zeppelin said:
I just tried out the canister shell for the tanks. Pretty damn awesome. Infantry is so fucked if they get too close.
Canister shell + Thermal Optics on Grand Bazaar Rush = look out infantry.

Sure is fun to keep getting disconnected, more so than before the updates, nicely sits alongside the game randomly dropping to 10fps without anything more intensive happening. Good thing it's fun in-between those two still.

mcrae

Zeppelin said:
I just tried out the canister shell for the tanks. Pretty damn awesome. Infantry is so fucked if they get too close.

how exactly does it work? does it shoot a ball and the ball explodes pellets upon impact? or does the 'explosion' happen directly out of the barrel? and how does it compare to the coaxial LMG?

I just sold my MW3 copy. I'm BF3 all the way. Now I can dedicate all my time to this game. Havin played them both this has become my favorite online experience. I am a convert.

Kahoona

mcrae said:
how exactly does it work? does it shoot a ball and the ball explodes pellets upon impact? or does the 'explosion' happen directly out of the barrel? and how does it compare to the coaxial LMG?
It's just a shotgun coming out of the muzzle. I think it's better thank LMG on infantry focused maps.

The past few days my performance has gone down the toilet. I have 4GB RAM, a 2500K and a 570 GTX which are only a few months old. The game ends up stuttering and freezing randomly, and then is suddenly fine until it starts to mess up again. I have my settings on "Auto" which for me is the High settings but with textures at Ultra. With the Auto settings the game runs at over 60 fps when its not fucking up. I didn't have this issue at all in the Beta, or in single player. Is this common? I'm gonna try run the game on Medium to see if it fixes it. I'm kind of pissed, this PC I built for this game specifically can't even run the game smoothly on the Auto settings :\

Gouda Jouji said:
The past few days my performance has gone down the toilet. I have 4GB RAM, a 2500K and a 570 GTX which are only a few months old. The game ends up stuttering and freezing randomly, and then is suddenly fine until it starts to mess up again. I have my settings on "Auto" which for me is the High settings but with textures at Ultra. With the Auto settings the game runs at over 60 fps when its not fucking up. I didn't have this issue at all in the Beta, or in single player. Is this common? I'm gonna try run the game on Medium to see if it fixes it. I'm kind of pissed, this PC I built for this game specifically can't even run the game smoothly on the Auto settings :\
I've got the exact same build and no problems here. What drivers are you running? Both the beta drivers and release day drivers have worked fine for me.

SUBZERO-08 said:
I've got the exact same build and no problems here. What drivers are you running? Both the beta drivers and release day drivers have worked fine for me.

285.62, those are the release day drivers right? I've also just realized that my PC has been on for weeks, and maybe a simple reboot can fix this problem >_<

Hari Seldon

SapientWolf said:
I had the same problem. Is it an official controller or a third party one?

Official wired controller, installed the latest drivers, have it plugged in before I start the game. Doesn't do anything.

Deviated from engineer to play a bit more recon today.
It's a whole lot of fun to do MAV recon, especially when the team figures out that they have a dedicated spotter.

It may not be the best way to earn points fast, but I just love it when 2-3 teammates end up knifing everybody or mortars raping an entire area - even more so on Rush games.

Having said that, I imagine that I would enjoy playing offense even more if somebody else did the spotting, but I guess there are not a lot of people who enjoy ending up with a 0-0 K/D.
Even if you can still get into the top 3 score-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom