• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Phanatic8390 said:
Is it just me or has this been crashing all day today?

I haven't been able to stay in a server after map change at all and I've never had this problem before
Been stable all day for me.

mcrae

Strummerjones said:
Yeah, I ranked up the scout helicopters at a ridiculous pace due to people not knowing how to use/counter them on rush games, but attack helicopters are generally less common in that game mode. I was also cheered to find seat switching still works in this game, which means I can have an excellent pilot AND gunner if I want!

Has anyone unlocked the TV missiles yet? I hope they're one hit kills like BF2s - I can't see them being worthwhile otherwise. They better be after the ridiculous number of points you have to get to unlock them (almost there now).

34% damage i believe

Gui_PT

UFRA said:
Yes please. People have been saying this since BFBC/2.

I don't know what makes them think it's a good idea to force people to load the entire next round...annoying.

The Faceless Master said:
that's what people said about BC1
that's what people said about 1943
that's what people said about BC2
and now people are saying it about BF3
still no DICE

Wait... The feature's not there intentionally?

Wat

Spl1nter

Gui_PT said:
Wait... The feature's not there intentionally?

Wat
What is silly is that you don't load the next map during the stats screen. Basically just 40 seconds of wasted time. Even bc2 did that.

vidal said:
There are sometimes way too many mines...

GYiIH.png
probably because if you die, your mine counter gets reset but the mines stay.

Stallion Free said:
When you have a rocket launcher out and you turn around and there is a dude there, what else are you suppose to do? It kind of breaks the illusion when they are still standing.

Labeling it as a douchebag move is really unfair.

I don't mind breaking the illusion if it means eliminating rocket spam for infantry kills.

UFRA

Trickster said:
Maybe people tend to forget they wanted to quit when the next round begins?

yeah it makes no sense lol

1. Force people to load next round.
2. They forget they wanted to quit and play again.
3. Keep them in our servers FOREVER!
4. ???
5. Profit!

Kylehimself said:
Can anybody explain the helicopter weapons to me then?

Attack Helicopters

Pilot:

Unguided rockets - All you have to begin with. They are very weak and need practice to aim correctly. A full salvo (i.e. fire to you have to reload) will disable a tank, it won't kill it. You can also kill infantry with rockets, but it needs again almost a full salvo on a tiny target. Concentrate on using them on vehicles and get your gunner to take out infantry (unless they are incompetent/you don't have one, which is most of the time)

Heatseeking Air to Air Missiles - The first unlock weapon. I don't think it's made clear these are actually air to air missiles in the game, but they are. You can fire two at once, and two hits is roughly enough to disable any aircraft. Has a longish lock on time affected by other vehicle's equipment. Fire one shot to get them to drop flares, then wait for a second lock to do damage.

Gunner:

Chaingun - Initial weapon. Does loads of damage and is great against pretty much anything. Excellent against infantry in particular, and with the long range optics unlock you can snipe an insane distance with it. if your pilot is going against a tank, pour this on them and if all goes well you'll get a straight kill instead of a mere vehicle disable. Don't forget to reload after a kill so you don't see a new target only to have 2 bullets loaded.

Air to Ground missiles - Mid level unlock. Works the same as the AA missiles with long lock on time etc, but only fires against ground vehicles. Can only fire one missile at a time and has less range lock-on wise than the chaingun. It does roughly enough damage to disable a tank with one shot, so combine with chaingun for Massive Damage. Tank smoke can throw off the lock. Can be locked on and fired (and will hit!) even if the chopper is not facing the target.

TV Missiles - Late game unlock. Not got these yet, but presumably they are like BF2's where the gunner must hand guide them to the target, thus avoiding any countermeasure such as smoke etc. Presumably also very high damage.

Scout Helicopters

Has unlocks for AA missiles and AGM as with attack helicopters, only you start off with:

Miniguns - Extremely powerful guns with long range (although accuracy falls apart past medium range). Movement affects where the bullets will go, so use the second floating gunsight to see where to aim (it's a bit more complicated than that, but practice makes perfect). Absolutely murders infantry and light vehicles (and enemy choppers), but is very weak against armoured targets. Don't be fooled by them taking damage, it takes AGES to kill a tank, and you will almost certainly get shot down by their gunner for pissing them off. If you must shoot at armour, miniguns are best used to push tanks already damaged by infantry over the edge into oblivion.

Transport helicopters also have door mounted miniguns, but they behave totally differently. They're completely useless at anything but close range, where they are deadly and rip up infanrty and light vehicles. They do nothing to armour at all, but they can be a very nasty surprise against enemy helicopters if they aren't paying attention and stray too close.

mcrae said:
you can still only have 6 at a time per engineer
no.

you can put 6 out as long as you're alive.

when you die, whatever mines you have out stay out.

that all works as intended.

here's the part where there's a bug...

the problem is when you put out new mines after you respawn, the old ones from the previous life don't disappear.

so you can now put out up to 6 more.

and if you die again? you can put out up to 6 more more.

i tested this and i've had out 20+ mines before.

Strummerjones said:
Attack Helicopters

Pilot:

Unguided rockets - All you have to begin with. They are very weak and need practice to aim correctly. A full salvo (i.e. fire to you have to reload) will disable a tank, it won't kill it. You can also kill infantry with rockets, but it needs again almost a full salvo on a tiny target. Concentrate on using them on vehicles and get your gunner to take out infantry (unless they are incompetent/you don't have one, which is most of the time)

Heatseeking Air to Air Missiles - The first unlock weapon. I don't think it's made clear these are actually air to air missiles in the game, but they are. You can fire two at once, and two hits is roughly enough to disable any aircraft. Has a longish lock on time affected by other vehicle's equipment. Fire one shot to get them to drop flares, then wait for a second lock to do damage.

Gunner:

Chaingun - Initial weapon. Does loads of damage and is great against pretty much anything. Excellent against infantry in particular, and with the long range optics unlock you can snipe an insane distance with it. if your pilot is going against a tank, pour this on them and if all goes well you'll get a straight kill instead of a mere vehicle disable. Don't forget to reload after a kill so you don't see a new target only to have 2 bullets loaded.

Air to Ground missiles - Mid level unlock. Works the same as the AA missiles with long lock on time etc, but only fires against ground vehicles. Can only fire one missile at a time and has less range lock-on wise than the chaingun. It does roughly enough damage to disable a tank with one shot, so combine with chaingun for Massive Damage. Tank smoke can throw off the lock. Can be locked on and fired (and will hit!) even if the chopper is not facing the target.

TV Missiles - Late game unlock. Not got these yet, but presumably they are like BF2's where the gunner must hand guide them to the target, thus avoiding any countermeasure such as smoke etc. Presumably also very high damage.

Scout Helicopters

Has unlocks for AA missiles and AGM as with attack helicopters, only you start off with:

Miniguns - Extremely powerful guns with long range (although accuracy falls apart past medium range). Movement affects where the bullets will go, so use the second floating gunsight to see where to aim (it's a bit more complicated than that, but practice makes perfect). Absolutely murders infantry and light vehicles (and enemy choppers), but is very weak against armoured targets. Don't be fooled by them taking damage, it takes AGES to kill a tank, and you will almost certainly get shot down by their gunner for pissing them off. If you must shoot at armour, miniguns are best used to push tanks already damaged by infantry over the edge into oblivion.

Transport helicopters also have door mounted miniguns, but they behave totally differently. They're completely useless at anything but close range, where they are deadly and rip up infanrty and light vehicles. They do nothing to armour at all, but they can be a very nasty surprise against enemy helicopters if they aren't paying attention and stray too close.
Cheers mate. loads of help. Now I can give them a good go.

Fan of the game manager update. The ability to filter out non-64 player servers makes Quick Match not useless.

Now if they'd add a ping filter...
the problem is when you put out new mines after you respawn, the old ones from the previous life don't disappear.

Haha. Oh wow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anton Sugar said:
I don't mind breaking the illusion if it means eliminating rocket spam for infantry kills.
They already fixed the ability to rocket spam by making the free fire rockets take ages to reload and relatively inaccurate.

Makoto

PoweredBySoy said:
So how do you launch these mysterious smoke rounds from the mortar?
If you're on PC, you just press 2 (which of course, means going back to frag mortars is assigned to 1). Not sure about 360/PS3.

GJS

no.

you can put 6 out as long as you're alive.

when you die, whatever mines you have out stay out.

that all works as intended.

here's the part where there's a bug...

Yea I just went to take a screenshot of this, you can lay as many mines as you like if you keep dying.

ScreenshotWin32-0001.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
SOFLAM + Guided Shells = best troll?

Yes. I wish I had a camera on the lower right hand screen or something so I could see the helicopter pilots reaction (and in some cases jet pilots) when I shoot them down with a tank shell :D

Binabik15

Quick questions: Laser Sight.

The descripitve text says that it makes hip-firing more accurate, does that mean that it helps you to fire without iron sights (which worked ridiculously well with the PP2000 int the beta) does it actually change spread or whatever you´d call it when you hip fire?

7x sight:

The weapon description page sas that you can steady it with the sprint button. The sniper rifles have the 7x sight as standard, right? Does steadying work for them as well? I haven´t touched recon since the beta.

Patrick Bateman said:
Laser and Tac Lights must be the most stupid things in a FPS-MP ever.
It's of no use except to annoy your enemy.

That's why I like them, 870MCS + TacLight was made for Grand Bazaar. You can be such a pain in the ass on that map with that combo.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still haven't seen any responses. Has anyone figured out the stationary AA guns? (Centurion and Pantsir-S1) I feel like I can only get hits if the enemy is flying directly at me or at very close range otherwise. They feel like they have nowhere near the range of the VADS and Zu-23-2.

DarthWoo said:
Still haven't seen any responses. Has anyone figured out the stationary AA guns? (Centurion and Pantsir-S1) I feel like I can only get hits if the enemy is flying directly at me or at very close range otherwise. They feel like they have nowhere near the range of the VADS and Zu-23-2.
they're just there to prevent air rape on the jet/chopper spawns

Yeah, but it still is annoying. Noobtubes in MW2 were fun, until everyone used it.

Yesterday, I saw a tank with two enemies inside. Ran behind it and threw three packs of C4 on it, when the machine gunner turned his gun right into my face. I barely could detonate the packs and already felt like a champ. I capped a point and went around in the area, when, after a couple of minutes, I saw a tank with the same guys inside again. I ran behind the tank, just to see how the guys get out, probably because they saw me, I jumped in the tank and drove over both guys. :D

Binabik15 said:
Quick questions: Laser Sight.

The descripitve text says that it makes hip-firing more accurate, does that mean that it helps you to fire without iron sights (which worked ridiculously well with the PP2000 int the beta) does it actually change spread or whatever you´d call it when you hip fire?
compare the reticule size with it on and off, that's an easy way to tell.

7x sight:

The weapon description page sas that you can steady it with the sprint button. The sniper rifles have the 7x sight as standard, right? Does steadying work for them as well? I haven´t touched recon since the beta.
yes.

Ballistics said:
Do the ones after you die still count? Can you get a kill?
yes. yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RbBrdMan said:
Good it will finally get engineers back to repairing, maybe.

If they shifted AT mines to Gadget one, I wouldn't mind. Having RPG's + AT Mines is deadly and makes me not care to repair.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

They don't even seem very good for that purpose sometimes. On at least one of the maps, a baseraping helo can hover in complete defilade behind a hill and keep picking off air assets before they ever take off.

TheSeks

Patrick Bateman said:
Laser and Tac Lights must be the most stupid things in a FPS-MP ever.
It's of no use except to annoy your enemy.

The laser isn't bad. But the goddamn flashlight can blind you from over a mile away. WTF is that shit? Also it makes CQC broken because you can fire in the middle of the beam and hit nothing. So it's "spray and pray" tactics against it. Unfair.

One of those + Bipod + Thermal = Trolling god. I dunno how this got past DICE.

Why do they only give you 3 stingers ? On the consoles, here's how it usually works.

Enemy Helo is circling your MCOM's lock and fire first stinger, flares pop, second stinger hits but seemingly does nothing but make the chopper smoke, by the time 3rd stinger can be fired, flares pop, and you got no stinger ammo left.

WHAT"S THE FUCKING POINT ?

Dynamic3

Can someone explain to me what the point of the flash suppressor is if you show up on the map when your fire anyway?

On that note, did you show up on the map when you fired in BF2 as well?

TheSeks

AngelSoldier said:
Why do they only give you 3 stingers ? On the consoles, here's how it usually works.

Enemy Helo is circling your MCOM's lock and fire first stinger, flares pop, second stinger hits but seemingly does nothing but make the chopper smoke, by the time 3rd stinger can be fired, flares pop, and you got no stinger ammo left.

You and your team are supposed to take the bird down together. Stinger fire #1-er launches flares. Everyone else fires after flare pops. Bird gets disabled/killed when a second/third rocket hits it.

Same as the tanks being disabled. DICE made "disabled" to make engineers have to work together. It's intended by design.

Can someone explain to me what the point of the flash suppressor is if you show up on the map when your fire anyway?

It's not a suppressor. It's meant to hide your "flash" from people in close-quarters or sniping distances. The mini-map will still show you because it doesn't suppress sound like the non-flash suppressor does.

Also can someone tell me how lax the tandem shots in co-op is? I can fire, a teammate fires a millisecond to a full second after me on the third mission and it still alerts dudes even if we spam shots to take them down with the silenced pistol. WTF.

I hate DICE for making two tandem co-op mission achievements because it's a PITA for my disabled self to attempt these.

1stStrike

Banned
AngelSoldier said:

You get more stingers with the explosives perk, so this doubles the amount you have. It's quite easy to shoot down an aircraft if they're stupid enough to stay close to you. I always roll with the explosives perk on my engineer so that I have more rockets to blow shit up with.

TheSeks said:
You and your team are supposed to take the bird down together. Stinger fire #1-er launches flares. Everyone else fires after flare pops. Bird gets disabled/killed when a second/third rocket hits it.

Same as the tanks being disabled. DICE made "disabled" to make engineers have to work together. It's intended by design.

It's not a suppressor. It's meant to hide your "flash" from people in close-quarters or sniping distances. The mini-map will still show you because it doesn't suppress sound like the non-flash suppressor does.

AHAHAHA. "Team work" ... on the consoles ? You are crazy.

TheSeks

AngelSoldier said:
AHAHAHA. "Team work" ... on the consoles ? You are crazy.

You so obviously haven't played with an organized team.

Edit: Posting again:

Also can someone tell me how lax the tandem shots in co-op is? I can fire, a teammate fires a millisecond to a full second after me on the third mission and it still alerts dudes even if we spam shots to take them down with the silenced pistol. WTF.

I hate DICE for making two tandem co-op mission achievements because it's a PITA for my disabled self to attempt these.

Binabik15

The one on the carrier on Canals is also great at spotting, blowing up jeeps and AVs that come close to the waterfront and woundin, sometimes even killing soldiers all over the map. It might not give you a ton of kills, but seeing them getting desperate and firing their tiny rifles at you while you make them run for cover like insects is hilarious.

JoeMartin

D23 said:
lmao, they are so going to patch that mine thing!

Do you know how literally useless mines would be if they just disappeared when you died?

If anything there should just be a limit on how many can be deployed at a time.

rObit

Banned
I just had Battlelog launch the campaign when I clicked join on one of the servers in my favorites, forcing me to watch the logo screens and everything before I could even quit out and try again. I dig that you can still surf the web while it's doing a good bit of the loading, but the thing could use some work.

TheSeks

JoeMartin said:
If anything there should just be a limit on how many can be deployed at a time.

Which is what he meant by "patch." BC2 had a limit of SIX out at a time no matter if you died/changed classes.

The one great thing about Seine crossing is the destruction/debris killed. Just killed two people on the sidewalks next to the building blocks, by RPG'ing the rooftops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom