• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
Zeppelin said:
Some guy was wondering the other day when you get your first MBT service star - I just got my first one and I currently have 308 kills so I think it might be 300.

Also, CITV station unlocked!

Awesome! Hop on my squad sometime and we'll own it up.

Drewsky

I'm playing on PS3 and I've had 3 times in the past two days where the game has completely locked up. Anyone else have something like this happen? I'm just afraid my OG PS3 is about to go out and I'm completely broke.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ryuuga said:
Making a set of BF3 gravatars are there any takers? Just made this one earlier:

2qi22bs.png

Still working on
"Failed to ping closest server"
"Server disconnected unexpectedly, are you sure you have the latest version?"
"Couldn't join the server"
and "Connection to server has timed out."
Fuckin lol..

"Do you have the latest version of the game" is such an absurd error that I get with moderate frequency. I dunno origin you downloaded and update the friggin thing.

So I finally learn how to fly helicopters and I'm finding it no fun at all because every two seconds all you here is... beep beep beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeep.

njean777

Drewsky said:
I'm playing on PS3 and I've had 3 times in the past two days where the game has completely locked up. Anyone else have something like this happen? I'm just afraid my OG PS3 is about to go out and I'm completely broke.

It does it to my xbox also, so I wouldnt worry to much has happened to me about 3 times also. And I have one of the new 250gb slim models.

putarorex

I am so horrible at multiplayer. I am fodder for other people while I learn the maps and even when I get a map down, I still get killed more than I kill. Still, every once in while there is a sweet moment when I kill five people in a row and I am super happy. Also, I tend to do better than I would in a CoD game for some reason.

I hope this can keep my attention while I wait two more weeks for Amazon to deliver me Skyrim (living in Japan, so I have wait an extra week for the international shipment).

1stStrike

Banned
Kylehimself said:
So I finally learn how to fly helicopters and I'm finding it no fun at all because every two seconds all you here is... beep beep beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeep.

It's not so bad if you have flares and someone repairing (in littlebirds or transport choppers). With two people repairing you can keep a helicopter up pretty much indefinitely.

As for the attack chopper, just coordinate with your gunner and use flares in turn. While his flares are on cooldown, you use yours. This should keep you alive for quite a while.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kylehimself said:
That's what you hear when you get locked on. It's better than the alternative. If jets or AA put the cannons on your chopper you just blow up. You can cap flags in the chopper to unlock flares.

KaYotiX

Banned
Moaradin said:
o_O

DVcXC.png

I unlocked my second support mastery medal. Kinda disappointed there isn't a special dog tag like the first one.

Same as me but engineer, i think there are tags for 50 hrs played as each class though.

1stStrike said:
It's not so bad if you have flares and someone repairing (in littlebirds or transport choppers). With two people repairing you can keep a helicopter up pretty much indefinitely.

As for the attack chopper, just coordinate with your gunner and use flares in turn. While his flares are on cooldown, you use yours. This should keep you alive for quite a while.

SapientWolf said:
That's what you hear when you get locked on. It's better than the alternative. If jets or AA put the cannons on your chopper you just blow up. You can cap flags in the chopper to unlock flares.
I just have combat issues flying anything. I was good at heli's in BC2. The new controls sort of threw me but now I have the hang of them and I can fly sweet. Here are my fighting problems...

Even when I fly really low, swoop in a pepper infantry, tanks, vehicles etc with rockets. The reticle showing a hit pops up multiple times, but I never kill anything. All the while, my gunner is getting loads of kills off the back of my piloting and I'm getting crappy 20 point assists.

Using air to air heat seeking missiles. Every pilot dumps flares.

When flying jets, admittedly I'm not as nimble a pilot as most guys who use them. However, in the round I was just in. I flew after this guy and mini-gunned the shit out of him over and over again. Reticle popping up like crazy to confirm hits but the guy never goes down. How I'm I supposed to get my first few kills to get upgrades so I can compete with these guys?

And during all this I have the constant noise of being locked on to. I dump flares (not in jet since I don't have them yet) but fear not, because as soon as I do, I'm locked on to by somebody else and my flare recharge time inevitably takes too long and I get hit.

I've only managed one kill in any of the heli's and it was using the littlebird. Any other points I've gotten were from capping flags.

Edit: I guess I just feel like it's far too easy to get shot out of the sky.Multiple guys with stingers will grantee you don't last long.

Cheech

I am getting horrible, horrible BF3 stats on PC because the "Q" key can't be rebound. Just to make sure i wasn't insane I fired up Black Ops, and did MUCH better. I simply can't re-map my brain to WASD instead of QWES.

If I could trade this in for a console version until they patch this, I would do it. I am not a happy customer. Better graphics or no, it's pointless if I'm going 1 for 8 because my fingers don't follow my brain.

sp3000

Kylehimself said:
I just have combat issues flying anything. I was good at heli's in BC2. The new controls sort of threw me but now I have the hang of them and I can fly sweet. Here are my fighting problems...

Even when I fly really low, swoop in a pepper infantry, tanks, vehicles etc with rockets. The reticle showing a hit pops up multiple times, but I never kill anything. All the while, my gunner is getting loads of kills off the back of my piloting and I'm getting crappy 20 point assists.

When flying jets, admittedly I'm not as nimble a pilot as most guys who use them. However, in the round I was just in. I flew after this guy and mini-gunned the shit out of him over and over again. Reticle popping up like crazy to confirm hits but the guy never goes down. How I'm I supposed to get my first few kills to get upgrades so I can compete with these guys?

And during all this I have the constant noise of being locked on to. I dump flares (not in jet since I don't have them yet) but fear not, because as soon as I do, I'm locked on to by somebody else and my flare recharge time inevitably takes too long and I get hit.

I've only managed one kill in any of the heli's and it was using the littlebird. Any other points I've gotten were from capping flags.

Edit: I guess I just feel like it's far too easy to get shot out of the sky.Multiple guys with stingers will grantee you don't last long.

As bad as jets are, helicopters are almost totally useless. It's pretty funny how far opposite from BF2 all the air vehicles have been nerfed. I don't bother with them if I need points.

Kylehimself said:

That's how piloting the attack chopper has always been, the pilot will only get a few kills while the gunner does most of the work. In BF2 the Mi-28 had mad splash damage and the gunner would often reap the rewards. On Sharqi Peninsula you'd often see the gunner finish with 100+ points while the pilot would only finish around 40.

As for jets, I've started to get the hang of them. If you're locked on then climb like hell, unless you're tailed by a legit pilot you'll escape the lock 90% of the time. The heat-seeker reticle is pretty small for jets so you can dodge it easily. As for flares, what I do is only fire one missile and scare the enemy pilot into dumping them. While he reloads I relock and send him down.

G_Berry

Banned
This game is feeling more and more like bad company with each patch.

I swear it's taking more and more bullets to drop someone.

Remember the Alpha and Beta? How awesome it felt getting shot at, suppressed, with all the bullets flying over. You had the feeling you could die if you popped up to have a look. Now you can pop up, take a few rounds in the face, jump, jump, jump over to the next cover all while being shot!

It's RUBBISH!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kylehimself said:

I don't mean to sound flippant but it just takes practice. The guns on the jets are incredibly effective against air vehicles if you can keep a bead on your target.

Gunners usually get most of the kills in the chopper. That's just how it is.

DTKT

G_Berry said:

Remember the Alpha and Beta? How awesome it felt getting shot at, suppressed, with all the bullets flying over. You had the feeling you could die if you popped up to have a look. Now you can pop up, take a few rounds in the face, jump, jump, jump over to the next cover all while being shot!

It's RUBBISH!

What are you talking about. It's always been that way. You were shot behind cover during the Alpha and the Beta...

BLU-82

Moaradin said:
o_O

DVcXC.png

I unlocked my second support mastery medal. Kinda disappointed there isn't a special dog tag like the first one.

I literally just unlocked the M240 for support, how does it and the M60 compare to the M249?
Wondering if I should bother trying to 'level up' the 240 or stick with 249 till m60...

G_Berry said:

It's RUBBISH!

You are playing a very different game than me. Almost half of my deaths are single shots.

Doc Holliday said:
Dice can't win, wasn't everyone bitching about dying too fast in the beta?

Bring back prone.
Too many camping with prone.
Damage is too low.
I die too quick.
Stingers are too weak.
WTF I can't bring down any aircraft.
You have to move 900 miles to kill anyone.
This map has too many people spawning too close together!

Dynamic3 said:
I used the word suppressor because that's what it's called, I know it doesn't silence the gun. I still don't understand why you would want to reduce muzzle flash when you show up on the map anyways; it's pointless.
Because using a suppressor has been confirmed to reduce far range damage, and slower bullets as well due to the subsonic rounds used when you attach a supressor.
Basically it will take a bit longer for your shot to hit the guy, and at range do a bit less damage. Makes sense, it's going slower than standard. But that's what you give up for no muzzle flash and no showing up on radar. A sniper might want a Flash hider, since he's nowhere near the enemy's minimap range, so he doesn't have to worry about showing up when firing. His main concern is being seen firing, and flash hider stops that while letting him retain his long range damage and faster rounds.

sp3000 said:
As bad as jets are, helicopters are almost totally useless. It's pretty funny how far opposite from BF2 all the air vehicles have been nerfed. I don't bother with them if I need points.
Whilst this is how I feel, it can't surely be the case. There's guys absolutely owning games from the air.

Red Blaster said:
That's how piloting the attack chopper has always been, the pilot will only get a few kills while the gunner does most of the work. In BF2 the Mi-28 had mad splash damage and the gunner would often reap the rewards. On Sharqi Peninsula you'd often see the gunner finish with 100+ points while the pilot would only finish around 40.

As for jets, I've started to get the hang of them. If you're locked on then climb like hell, unless you're tailed by a legit pilot you'll escape the lock 90% of the time. The heat-seeker reticle is pretty small for jets so you can dodge it easily. As for flares, what I do is only fire one missile and scare the enemy pilot into dumping them. While he reloads I relock and send him down.
Sounds like decent advice. My only issue will be to get the first few kills to unlock the heat seekers and flares.

SapientWolf said:
I don't mean to sound flippant but it just takes practice. The guns on the jets are incredibly effective against air vehicles if you can keep a bead on your target.

Gunners usually get most of the kills in the chopper. That's just how it is.
Well you're right. That's what it will take. I guess it's kind of frustrating because I'm used to playing most games and at least breaking even wit K/D. More often than not getting more kills and a good score. Going from that to getting shot down fairly quickly every time I take off. Ending rounds with craps scores and even worse K/D.

I'm fine piloting the heli's with the two miniguns on the side with my squad. I can keep them in the air for ages. It's just no satisfying because you get hardly any points even though you're helping your team get loads of kills.

slopeslider said:
Because using a suppressor has been confirmed to reduce far range damage, and slower bullets as well due to the subsonic rounds used when you attach a supressor.
Basically it will take a bit longer for your shot to hit the guy, and at range do a bit less damage. Makes sense, it's going slower than standard. But that's what you give up for no muzzle flash and no showing up on radar. A sniper might want a Flash hider, since he's nowhere near the enemy's minimap range, so he doesn't have to worry about showing up when firing. His main concern is being seen firing, and flash hider stops that while letting him retain his long range damage and faster rounds.

A sniper still has scope reflection though, correct?

eek5

BLU-82 said:
I literally just unlocked the M240 for support, how does it and the M60 compare to the M249?
Wondering if I should bother trying to 'level up' the 240 or stick with 249 till m60...
The M60 is pretty good. On paper the M240B is the best LMG though, if you can manage the recoil. I was using the 240B for a long time and I liked it a lot but ended up going back to the M249. The kick recovery on the 249 is so high that it recenters almost immediately after you burst fire it. The M60 has higher recoil than both and sometimes the iron sights will get in y our way in the beginning. With magnification it is kind of a pain to use at range imo.

Here are my stats with the 3 guns
LMGs.png

I'm kind of trying to wrap my head around why my kills/mins is so high with the M60 (it was my highest for a long time) because when I use it I feel like I can't hit anything.

On paper the weapons break down like this:
(hits to kill / close-long)
M249 4-5
M60 and M240B 3-4

time to kill:
M249 0.225s - 0.375s
M240B 0.160s - 0.24s
M60 0.24s - 0.360s

I think at the end of the day all three are really good. M60's recoil might force you to burst fire better and register more hits or something but I haven't had trouble switching between the three guns at all.

zlatko said:
My only major complaint about TDM in this game is that it hands down has the worst spawning in any game I've ever played. Truly a turd of epic proportions.

Yeah it's really bad. I played like 4 matches and every time I died it was because the game spawned someone behind me. I had guys spawn in front of me a couple times. You can literally clear out an area and guys will spawn right back into it.

The method I started using was to drop spawn beacons so I could spawn in the same spot everytime. That way I at least knew where the enemy that killed me was and I could clear out zones instead of just being spawned randomly around the map and getting one shotted from behind.

evlcookie said:
Does anyone here actually use a single shot firing mode? I'm trying to use it so i can do headshots but it just seems like it's easier to stick with a spray and pray approach, Which is a shame.

I use burst on the guns that have it but rarely single fire.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone here actually use a single shot firing mode? I'm trying to use it so i can do headshots but it just seems like it's easier to stick with a spray and pray approach, Which is a shame.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
evlcookie said:

Assault rifles are waaaaaaaaaaay better at medium/long range with semi-auto.

so is not giving the player the option to quit out of multiplayer in between rounds/matches a clever way of DICE making people play another match?

I always feel a little bad after a match starts but I have to quit.

eek5

funkystudent said:
so is not giving the player the option to quit out of multiplayer in between rounds/matches a clever way of DICE making people play another match?

I think it's more DICE trying to make teams lopsided after server balancing. Everyone likes unbalanced teams, right?

Complistic

evlcookie said:

I absolutely switch to single fire when I'm shooting at very long range.About 5 hits with the F2000 seems to drop people.

funkystudent said:

Just hit ESC?

funkystudent said:

Can't you just alt + f4 or on console just go out of the game with the controller? The battlelog reports back fine when just closing it with alt + f4 for me.

F#A#Oo

Banned
funkystudent said:

I have no idea how DICE managed to think that leaving out a "quit" was nothing to be worried about...especially as the game keeps a record of the quits...though I'm thinking it's safe to quit post-match but not if you spawn in on a game and you leave it will record a "quit"...

I have a 3% quit rate but I know a gaffer who has 30%... :eek:

Kylehimself said:
Whilst this is how I feel, it can't surely be the case. There's guys absolutely owning games from the air.

Sounds like decent advice. My only issue will be to get the first few kills to unlock the heat seekers and flares.

Just do what I did. Get an enemy chopper in your sights and just kamikaze it while firing your guns. Did that twice and got heat seekers.

Wow I just blasted through a bunch of CoOp missions with a friend and it was great! Any word if Karkand or future DLC will include CoOp missions?

DXPett1

I was using single shot on the M416 last night and preferred it for medium to long range killing. Far better to tap someone 3-6 times than waste half a clip on a single dude leaving you not much to play with of more come along

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
The TV-guided missile on the chopper is just silly. Insane range (1000++ meters or so before it disappears) and damage ( killed a tank in 1 hit from the front. It just came out of their own base so i dont think it was damaged). Totaly changes the chopper playstyle and threat.

To bad its buggy as hell. Sometimes when you launch your own chopper just explodes and you get a teamkill. Sometimes the missile just passes directly through enemy aircraft/choppers or just does 0dmg and no hitmarker.

Its also extremely good against infantry, got a triple kill once and they were spread out.

Dynamic3

Sick and tired of getting dced or having the client crash and losing all of my progress, and my tv broke; glad I picked tonight to stay in and game.

mr_nothin

Banned
G_Berry said:

It's RUBBISH!
Fixed. Alpha was amazing in terms of hit detection and netcode but now you have millions of
ppl hitting the stats servers and causing lag for everyone. I really hate how they have the
stats servers setup. It kind of negates the point of having dedicated servers....It's like 1 big
p2p network right now because everyone is affecting the lag of everyone else. When the
stats servers crap out, everyone feels it. Dedicated servers are supposed to be secluded
from that BS.

Most of the time, you cant even tell when you're getting hit until you're dead. I swear, I
was just thinking that "this feels exactly like BC2 now" and not because of gunplay or
whatever but because the netcode seems exactly the same now. Its like someone shoots
5-6 bullets at you and the game doesnt let you know until you're dead. It's like all of their
hits are registering at once and making it feel like a 1 hit kill. I cant go prone or even
react to someone shooting at me anymore.....not even on a server where I have 10-15
ping.

It's bullshit

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RibbedHero said:
You know what's really annoying? No text or voice chat in Co-Op matchmaking on PC.

I wanted to play some Co-Op, but none of my friends online were available. I decided to play it in matchmaking, and for some missions it turned out very well, but for Drop Em Like Liquid where we need co-ordination as to who shoots which target it and when, it becomes an exercise in frustration. What a stupid oversight of DICE's.

It becomes even worse when you're disabled like me and attempting to get "Ninja" and "Bullseye" (basically, no alerts) in Co-op missions Exfiltratoin and Drop 'Em Like Liquid. You have to do tandem shots like you described, but no matter how we do it (I shoot first, I designate which sides we take) we somehow ALWAYS alert the first tandem shot group of Exfiltrate. Even on Easy. Headshots that are one shots. Two shots in the chest. Spam shots to confirm they're dead. Doesn't matter, we always alert them.

Those are the last two co-op mission achievements I need and it's pissing me off and I dunno how lax it is (it looks REALLY lax in achievement tutorial/show me how it's done videos) but in execution it doesn't seem that lax.

I really want Fersis or someone to hassle DICE and tell them fuck you from me because those two are preventing me (besides the air kills/crate defense/nemesis making ribbons) from getting 1000gs/Platinum in BF3. (Yes, I'm an achievement whore, sue me)

Pat

funkystudent said:

ESC.

Loxley

Break time, just had my first real rage-inducing match where I couldn't stay alive for more than a few seconds no matter where I went (Conquest on Canals), and when I thought I'd finally gotten the drop on somebody, I get shot from behind out of nowhere before I could fire off a single shot.

The other team was filled with Rank 20+ players (I'm currently at an astounding Rank 9) which likely had a lot to do with it. I said a few pages back that when BF3 is awesome, it's fucking awesome; but when it sucks? It really fucking sucks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The no alerts in Exfiltrate is janky as fuck. My friend and I tried to do it on PC for shits and giggles and it took us a ton of tries because being off even slightly would make the alarm magically go off.

Jets suck in this game. Though I know Heli's can be good because I own with them as long as half the team isn't trying to shoot me down, just stay low and be fast. As the pilot, as long as most of your missile's hit you should get the kill on someone.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
To me this feels just like COD in so many ways, Which is disappointing. It's just all spray and pray at the moment, lots of running and more quick spraying. Shotguns are worthless and you may as well just rock around with any assault rifle for quick kills, Like i'm doing now!

And of course most of the maps just fucking suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom