• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wthermans

Banned
I've strafed infantry a lot in the jet. Pretty easy to do as it only takes 2 hits with the cannon to take them down. I got a double road kill with the jet on Canals today too. :lol

DXPett1

Corky said:
Well I for one have not been killed by a jet while on the ground, nor have I killed any infantry while flying a jet.

I actually did this yesterday. Rocket Pods are seriously useful if you want to kill (or merely distract) enemy foot soldiers and tanks.

It all comes down to the rest of the team spotting so that you have time to line them up

Victrix

*beard*
Anton Sugar said:
That's an exaggeration. Suppression does a great job at getting people to stop whatever they're doing and take cover, or get killed. Just because someone got killed once by a sniper they were suppressing doesn't mean the mechanic fails all the time.

I run SUPR fulltime with my LMG. Occasionally with a tac light instead of a suppressor when I'm feeling extra dickish.

The ability to pin down a whole squad is just awesome. Pretty much the only time they can counter is if they were already aiming at you before you started firing. Otherwise they just wait for you to run out of ammo (this does not happen)

edit: Bonus hilarity when you get a suppression assist with a shotgun or sniper rifle because you forgot to take it off. From what I can tell, it apparently 'suppresses' in one shotgun blast, because I've received that reward for hitting a guy once and having a teammate finish him.

I unlocked the mortar a while go but never got around playing with it "seriously".

Played on a Rush server, 64pop, Bazaar and Seine. I understand where the heat comes from once you have recon using their drone to scout for the mortars. I managed to go 20-25 0 deaths a couple rounds.

But when you've got people that get their shit together and actively counter your mortars team. Things are even.

The problem don't come from Mortars but people not acting as a team/squad and running like rabbid rabbits mindlessly giving the opposite teams free kills and less tickets for their own teams.

Never got a 1st hit/kill with the mortar unless it was against another mortar btw.

Piggus

Corky said:
Well I for one have not been killed by a jet while on the ground, nor have I killed any infantry while flying a jet.

Same :p

I've killed plenty of people in other jets or helicopters but I think you need to unlock more stuff for them to be truly useful. Air-to-ground missiles for example. They also need to reduce the lock-on time when targeting other jets or helis.

Even though they're useless right now, they're damn fun to fly with a flight stick. :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
I realised that I gain satisfaction from killing someone via shooting them in this game less than anything else.

Quite odd.

You mean compared to other games, or other ways of killing people in BF3?

aznpxdd

Having a problem here. Been playing the game great on my desktop without any issues, but I tried installing the game on my laptop today and it ain't working. Everything installed fine (have the retail copy), but when I try joining a server, it tells me there's an update on the game manager. Game manager tells me I need to update the game, and when I press the "update game" button, it opens up the buy BF3 page on Origin. Anyone got any ideas?

DMeisterJ said:
That happened to me yesterday as well. My teammate picked up my kit and revived me with it, and I couldn't be killed. I found out that my squad mates thought I was still dead, and the rest of my teammates kept on trying to kill me, so I must have looked like an enemy? Weird glitch.
We had a guy on our team today running around with no blue triangle over his head. Seemed to be unkillable too from what I could see.

sp3000 said:
You can see how lazy the map design team is with everything. The 24 player and 64 player versions are the exact same in terms of map size. They just add 1 flag to some point in the map and call it a day.

With Metro they just used the exact same map, bahaha.
Seine Crossing, Noshahr Canals and Damavand Peak are smaller!

In fact, the 32/24 Noshahr Canals map is pretty stacked for the Russians!

DMeisterJ said:
That happened to me yesterday as well. My teammate picked up my kit and revived me with it, and I couldn't be killed. I found out that my squad mates thought I was still dead, and the rest of my teammates kept on trying to kill me, so I must have looked like an enemy? Weird glitch.

I've seen this but it has never happened to me before. It was on my team though. I was shooting the crap out of the guy and he was like "WTF" but he didn't have a team icon on his name and looked like the enemy.

Now that I know about it, if my teammates ever go crazy and shoot the crap out of me I'm going to go on a rampage since I can't die!!

You know, the graphics here are so bloody good that it's borderline detrimental to gameplay. It's insane how good this game looks, and that's not even on Ultra. Yikes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MrBig said:
Getting on now

If you guys get Ninja and Bullseye, please tell me how lax it really is when it comes to shots. >_>

Desaan

Corky said:

I road killed a guy who ejected straight into the front of my hornet. Random, very.

TheSeks

Nabs said:
How many kills to get frag rounds on the DAO-12? This shit is a beast in CQC.

50 kills. It says it right in the Battlelog website, dude. :p

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Binabik15 said:
The one on the carrier on Canals is also great at spotting, blowing up jeeps and AVs that come close to the waterfront and woundin, sometimes even killing soldiers all over the map. It might not give you a ton of kills, but seeing them getting desperate and firing their tiny rifles at you while you make them run for cover like insects is hilarious.

Silly question, but I was looking for this today and I couldn't find it. Is it only on the PC version? It did seem like there was a lot of senseless detail on the carrier's island that should have some purpose, but I never could find any AA. No icon for one on the minimap either.

Enosh

I think I had one of those "bf moments"
rush on that map with the ball thingy and you jump down the cliff
got to some wall and thought "hmm flank left or right" but then went "hell fuck that, I am support, lets get rid of the fucking wall" c4 placed, wall gone, enemy caught off guard, flanked and killed 3, placed charge, defended it from some 3 or 4 more
me at the end of this -> ^_^

of course, 2 mins latter we are at the next point, with another wall I try the same thing but the wall seems to have been made out of adamantium, placed some 5 C4s on it, shit wouldn't move
great job with destruction 3.0 dice -.-
in general the whole thing seems to be pretty inconsistent, I know at the same point that the wall at the far right (from the atackers point of view) can be blown up if it is the wall between the com station and the far right of the map, if it is the wall that links the spawn with the far right part it can't

Anton Sugar said:
You mean compared to other games, or other ways of killing people in BF3?
Well, I still think the gunplay isn't as good as it should be, but I mostly mean I much prefer killing someone with mines/RPGs/vehicles etc. I get sad if someone goes over a mine, bails out and I have to shoot them to finish them off. I like that satisfaction of being a sneaky bastard and killing someone with my equipment.

When I run out of mines/RPGs and I have no vehicles I sometimes suicide just so I can come back with them! Haha.

This is pretty telling:

tellingx4uyl.jpg

RPGs and mines are second to the SCAR as my most kills, haha.

Obviously that doesn't count disabling vehicles etc so I use my RPGs more than that would suggest...

DTKT

BrainZEROX said:
Is the javelin any good? I mean versus standard RPG. The basic RPGs seem really weak against tanks, even if I hit them in the back.

It's pretty shitty. Only 2 missiles without the explo perk.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BrainZEROX said:
Is the javelin any good? I mean versus standard RPG. The basic RPGs seem really weak against tanks, even if I hit them in the back.
You can get an instant disable if you hit them in the back vent with an RPG.

BrainZEROX said:
Has somebody ever been killed by a jet in BF3? I remember them being uber annoying in BF2, they seem quite useless in BF3. I welcomed the addition of Stingers in the engineer's package but they are not necessary, a good ol'anti-tank launcher is much more useful.

Jets are frustrating . . . I just had a 15-0 round on the Gaf server in a jet, 600 tickets per side. I was awarded about 35k points. However, my assists-to-kill ratio was about 5:1 or so. Two issues, IMO:

1) AGTMs should be able to lock onto abandoned vehicles, like in beta. It's so frustrating to have a disabled tank in your sights, and not be able to lock on because the tank driver bailed to repair. It really limits the effectiveness of the missiles.

2) Teamwork isn't at a good stage yet. People started using Soflams towards the end, with great effect. Once that becomes widespread, you're going to see a definite increase of effectiveness of the jets. There's also still not enough spotting going on in my opinion. People should be spamming the Q key.

Also, not to mention jet bailers, my pet peeve after a good dogfight :)

mxgt

Banned
Anyone else much prefer 32 player to 64?

64 is such a clusterfuck on most maps. Plus 32 can get your more points.

mxgt said:
Anyone else much prefer 32 player to 64?

64 is such a clusterfuck on most maps. Plus 32 can get your more points.

For some of the maps I do prefer smaller numbers, the player numbers that are ideal for me (all CQ):

Metro: 20
Damavand, Seine, Tehran Highway, Grand Bazaar: 48
Kharg, Caspian, Firestorm, Canals: 64

Marvie_3

Banned
BrainZEROX said:
I hate the javelin so far. I find standard RPGs to be more effective.

Ovid

TGateKeeper said:
me too blowing up tank with c4 is so satisfying.
Hell, if a base is filled with enemy troops and a tank I'll do a martyrdom and blow the C4 sacrificing myself in the process. That's what you call teamwork. That's why this game is awesome.

mr_nothin

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Well, I still think the gunplay isn't as good as it should be, but I mostly mean I much prefer killing someone with mines/RPGs/vehicles etc. I get sad if someone goes over a mine, bails out and I have to shoot them to finish them off. I like that satisfaction of being a sneaky bastard and killing someone with my equipment.

When I run out of mines/RPGs and I have no vehicles I sometimes suicide just so I can come back with them! Haha.

This is pretty telling:

tellingx4uyl.jpg

RPGs and mines are second to the SCAR as my most kills, haha.

Obviously that doesn't count disabling vehicles etc so I use my RPGs more than that would suggest...
This is kinda sad.

Had a fucking great round in choppers with another guy who actually knew his shit for a change. on Op Firestom too, a level that can be horrendous with a weak team. Made short work of the other team using proper pop up tactics against the tanks and mobile AA after they got mad and started gunning for us; they literally never knew what hit them.

Was fantastic knowing that a) the other dude had the proper unlocks to be effective and b) they actually understood both roles instinctively (you can't be a good gunner unless you understand how to pilot and hence why your pilot is moving you in certain ways). Just beautiful to have that telepathic connection where all my attempts at clever ambushes and movements are followed up to perfection without ever even typing a single word. Came out of it 16 kills to 1 death (I only joined midway so not that much time), and he had even more.

Then the next round some moron kept getting in first only to spiral aimlessly about trying to shoot down planes and getting me repeatedly killed. The universe's mystic balance was restored.

BrainZEROX said:

Javelin is a mixed bag. I think it's a bit more powerful than the RPG/SMAW but you have much less ammo and in close quarters anti-tank combat, it's almost useless because it's hard to maintain a lock without being killed or without the vehicle moving around a corner.

For long distance, however, it's vastly superior to the RPG/SMAW.

RS4-

Javs can shut down a mechanical team provided that you do have someone with a soflam working with you.

Stealth is bullshit on helicopters.

TheSeks

Gui_PT said:
Want to get Ninjas? It's really easy.

I'm on PS3. And deaf. So no mic. So... yeah... someone needs to strangle somebody at DICE for me. >_>

Stealth is bullshit on helicopters.

Given the amount of LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK I see on my screen when in a helicopter, it's needed. You want to whine? Whine about the vehicle repair perk that'll give you 50% when you pop it.

Tunin

Anton Sugar said:
Javelin is a mixed bag. I think it's a bit more powerful than the RPG/SMAW but you have much less ammo and in close quarters anti-tank combat, it's almost useless because it's hard to maintain a lock without being killed or without the vehicle moving around a corner.

For long distance, however, it's vastly superior to the RPG/SMAW.
This.

Javelin is godlike in wide open maps, specially in peaks (like in caspian border). It's kinda unfair because of the lock on but it's super satisfying to see your missile arriving at an oponent's tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom