• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wthermans

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
Seine Crossing, Noshahr Canals and Damavand Peak are smaller!

In fact, the 32/24 Noshahr Canals map is pretty stacked for the Russians!
Haven't played 32 so don't know if it's different, but the 64 player version of the map is stacked for US. Get someone on the Essex gun and you won't lose the two points on the Docks or the Canals. Not to mention all airpower for RUS will be shutdown on over half the map.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Speaking of helicopters, how exactly does one hover at low altitudes? I mean like hovering practically five feet above the ground, while also being able to maneuver from point to point. It seems like it would be a great way to discourage jets from chasing you so low, and keep out of view of most people on the ground, but I can't even seem to hover in place very well at any altitude.

DarthWoo said:
Speaking of helicopters, how exactly does one hover at low altitudes? I mean like hovering practically five feet above the ground, while also being able to maneuver from point to point. It seems like it would be a great way to discourage jets from chasing you so low, and keep out of view of most people on the ground, but I can't even seem to hover in place very well at any altitude.

Just lay off the throttle/collective. The choppers are seriously easy to hover compared to BF2, you basically just don't press up or down. Flying nap of earth is important but something that has to be used sparingly. I've flown with loads of idiots who think they're good by flying close to the ground all the time, but although it's an essential skill to avoid radar locks, you are also extremely likely to get hit in the face by a tank shell, and every dick in a vehicle with a machinegun will be chipping health off you. And that's before you realise it makes you easy pickings for other helicopters as you can't effectively fight back.

El'Kharn said:
Joking right?
No, not joking. I mean it's better to ignore the whole air vehicules as they are not a threat. I'm level 10 and I've only been killed once by a chopper. I shot down several helicopters but I find it more useful to equip with anti tank than anti air. Tanks are a much bigger threat.

Maybe I'm lucky and I have yet to experience the full power of air force but, so far, air force seems to have been toned down a lot when compared to BF2. Helis and bombers were constant nightmares for ground troops in BF2... In BF3, not so much.

alba

Little is the new Big
I guess it's safe to assume they're going to be douchebags and are holding up the first client-side patch for the release of MW3? :(

Come on DICE! :eek:

.nimrod

mxgt said:
Anyone else much prefer 32 player to 64?

64 is such a clusterfuck on most maps. Plus 32 can get your more points.
YES. I'm having a lot more fun playing on 32p servers.

marvelharvey said:
[GAF]Mk_4 ... is that anyone here? Just got killed by you a number of times on Karg Island ;)

Edit: and again lol
Yup, that's me :D

and i just can't decide which tags i'd rather use

KCrCC.png
DID7D.png

:p

TheSeks said:
I'm on PS3. And deaf. So no mic. So... yeah... someone needs to strangle somebody at DICE for me. >_>
You could get Ninjas without mics provided you are well organised going in (i.e. know who each person is going to take at each step, and have some method for getting ready). Maybe have a system where you each look at each other prior to taking a shot, and have it so that after one of you turns away you go after 3 seconds or something. There is no time limit on that one so you can take as long as you need for each shot and TBH if you're both ready then you can actually react to the other person's shot.

Bullseye… that one is going to be tough. That one is a fucking pain in the arse even with perfect mic communication (I don't have it yet). The 'look at each other and then look away' thing isn't going to work very well because there are fairly tight time limits on a lot of those shots too and you'll want to leave your bipods deployed as much as possible in the interests of time.

In terms of the mic stuff, I'll tread lightly here because I don't want to inadvertently offend. I understand that you're not able to hear other people over the mic, but maybe if they can hear you that would be enough? You don't need to carry on a conversation if you're prepared in advance, it would be as simple as doing a count down (3-2-1-go), so even if your annunciation isn't perfect the other person should be able to follow enough that you can shoot at roughly the same time.

If you can find one particular person who is willing to devote a bit of time to it with you (since it'll be about working off each other as much as it is learning the mission), and plan it out well in advance (using youtube vids and notes etc.) you should be able to get there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
endlessflood said:
You could get Ninjas without mics provided you are well organised going in (i.e. know who each person is going to take at each step, and have some method for getting ready). Maybe have a system where you each look at each other prior to taking a shot, and have it so that after one of you turns away you go after 3 seconds or something. There is no time limit on that one so you can take as long as you need for each shot and TBH if you're both ready then you can actually react to the other person's shot.

Bullseye… that one is going to be tough. That one is a fucking pain in the arse even with perfect mic communication (I don't have it yet). The 'look at each other and then look away' thing isn't going to work very well because there are fairly tight time limits on a lot of those shots too and you'll want to leave your bipods deployed as much as possible in the interests of time.

In terms of the mic stuff, I'll tread lightly here because I don't want to inadvertently offend. I understand that you're not able to hear other people over the mic, but maybe if they can hear you that would be enough? You don't need to carry on a conversation if you're prepared in advance, it would be as simple as doing a count down (3-2-1-go), so even if your annunciation isn't perfect the other person should be able to follow enough that you can shoot at roughly the same time.

If you can find one particular person who is willing to devote a bit of time to it with you (since it'll be about working off each other as much as it is learning the mission), and plan it out well in advance (using youtube vids and notes etc.) you should be able to get there.

The third missions tandem shot is a headscratcher. We (and even Stallion on PC) got alerts no matter what we did. Headshots. Two in the chest. Spam pistol silenced to confirm death. It ALWAYS ended in alerts.

Again: How lax are these shots and time limits and the whole alert phase. Because they don't really seem that lax despite the achievement videos showing them to be and it's REALLY annoying.

I hate it when I'm the only one trying in Rush games...

Planted 3 and destroyed 2 MCOMs in Damavand Peak before the final 2. On the final two I planted 3 times, alone, no back up. I'm not superman and ofcourse they killed me and defused it. No one else seemed to give a shit.

TheSeks said:
The third missions tandem shot is a headscratcher. We (and even Stallion on PC) got alerts no matter what we did. Headshots. Two in the chest. Spam pistol silenced to confirm death. It ALWAYS ended in alerts.

Again: How lax are these shots and time limits and the whole alert phase. Because they don't really seem that lax despite the achievement videos showing them to be and it's REALLY annoying.
Ninjas (Exfiltration without setting off any alerts prior to breaching the VIPs door) is a bit hit and miss, but we got it after maybe 7 or 8 attempts. We just used the silenced pistol with headshots for everything (bar the last one). The trickiest one is that final one, where you have two soldiers and a camera to hit at the same time. One of us took the camera, the other lined the other two up so they were in line and then just spammed the fuck out of the pistol on 'go'.

.nimrod said:
Yup, that's me :D
Nice to bump into Gaffers every now and then, even if it is at the end of their cannon. I disabled your chopper a couple of times with my stingers, but never got a kill. Good game though.

SirButterstick said:
Also, not to mention jet bailers, my pet peeve after a good dogfight :)

This, this, a thousand times this.

It keeps your jet kills artificially low when you go a round and get 15-20 disabled air vehicles, the same amount in vehicle destruction, but only 6 kills or some bullshit.

There needs to be something like, I'm not even sure. Maybe a small animation or delay for ejection from a jet? It would reduce the frustration tenfold.

ColonelSkills said:
This, this, a thousand times this.

It keeps your jet kills artificially low when you go a round and get 15-20 disabled air vehicles, the same amount in vehicle destruction, but only 6 kills or some bullshit.

There needs to be something like, I'm not even sure. Maybe a small animation or delay for ejection from a jet? It would reduce the frustration tenfold.

Can you eject/bail from a disabled jet? In the beta, it seemed like once the jet was disabled, you couldn't "eject".

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any way to fix the damn screen from blinking green at random times? It's annoying and i have the latest nvidia 285.62 drivers. =/

DarthWoo

Not like it'll ever happen, but I wish tanks could get swappable ammunition types, like in Red Orchestra. AP and HE, with each of their respective strengths and weaknesses. Do modern MBTs actually use different ammo types these days?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Man I am so irritated by this error and tried over 10+ different methods on "fixing" it. I wait 2 minutes to join a server and then rewait to get in after the error

F0BGD.jpg

DICE PLEASE PUT OUT A PATCH. It's been nearly 2-3 weeks :(

MrBig

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm getting pretty bored of the same maps over and over. Not enough variety. MW3 is going to be quite a nice break next week as I wait for B2K.
Yeah, only 9 maps is a real shortcoming. It's a trend on a lot of recent releases.
Next time I play I think I'm going to try out some of the other gametypes just because the smaller areas may give a different experience. Have stuck to Conquest and a small amount of Rush so far.

SteveO409 said:
Man I am so irritated by this error and tried over 10+ different methods on "fixing" it. I wait 2 minutes to join a server and then rewait to get in after the error

F0BGD.jpg

DICE PLEASE PUT OUT A PATCH. It's been nearly 2-3 weeks :(

I get this problem too! It usually only happens on my first time playing though.

MrBig said:
Yeah, only 9 maps is a real shortcoming. It's a trend on a lot of recent releases.
Next time I play I think I'm going to try out some of the other gametypes just because the smaller areas may give a different experience. Have stuck to Conquest and a small amount of Rush so far.
Rush does make things a bit more fresh, but I'm not fond of the game type so eh.

12 maps should be the minimum for a AAA multiplayer game I think.

Anton Sugar said:
Can you eject/bail from a disabled jet? In the beta, it seemed like once the jet was disabled, you couldn't "eject".

Yeah, just bail out like you can from any burning tank, jeep, or other flaming vehicle.

Would love to see it back like this. At the 50% health mark you have to fucking ride that bitch down.

Would make the extinguisher useful, actually!

Geoff9920

OMG, trying to learn jets while having absolutely no defense is the single most frustrating thing in the world. I just got out of a match where a helicopter is able to park himself next to the carrier and destroy any aircraft that appears there before anyone gets a chance to take off. That's not even going into the fact that despite numerous attempts I can't even unlock flares yet... Yes, I know I suck, but I'm so out matched when I actually get into the air that getting a kill would simply be due to blind luck. Ugh.. so shitty.

edit: This was while playing Conquest on Kharg Island

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Geoff9920 said:
I just got out of a match where a helicopter is able to park himself next to the carrier and destroy any aircraft that appears there before anyone gets a chance to take off.
Should've had someone get into the AA and take out the heli.

cdyhybrid

Geoff9920 said:
OMG, trying to learn jets while having absolutely no defense is the single most frustrating thing in the world. I just got out of a match where a helicopter is able to park himself next to the carrier and destroy any aircraft that appears there before anyone gets a chance to take off. That's not even going into the fact that despite numerous attempts I can't even unlock flares yet... Yes, I know I suck, but I'm so out matched when I actually get into the air that getting a kill would simply be due to blind luck. Ugh.. so shitty.

Play Rush to level up jets. The Rush jets have much stronger guns.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So when are they going to remove the tactical flashlight?

Definitely gets my vote for one of the worst decisions in game design history.

MrBig

Geoff9920 said:

People who camp in Helos at the carriers on Kharg and canals are despicable. They get a kill every few minutes and an argument can hardly be made for them befitting their team by wasting their helo like that.

Arnie

For people wanting to unlock IR flares on jets but keep getting shot down instantly I have what may be a make shift solution.

On a map where you can easily predict enemy choke points, lay down some AT Mines at a spot you think will best get you some points.

Then get in a jet. If you think you'll be shot down before the enemy runs over your mines then just sit on the runway. When your mines get you points they count towards your jet unlock so you should get IR Flares pretty quickly.

I unlocked IR Flares accidentally this way and was pleasantly surprised.

Tomat said:
So when are they going to remove the tactical flashlight?

Definitely gets my vote for one of the worst decisions in game design history.
They just need to tweak it so it's dependant on light conditions to make it less omnipotent.

But nice use of hyperbole.

Arnie

Geoff9920 said:
Hah, Arnie, I honestly would never have thought of that. :p
Same, it happened completely randomly but works nonetheless. I was over the moon. Jets are much funner now I've got them.

DarthWoo

Geoff9920 said:
How do I even get to it? Spawning anywhere but in the jet put me on the island.

I spent a few minutes looking for it myself today, running around the deck of the Essex, but couldn't even see a CIWS anywhere, or any way to man one.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How long does it take to unlock INRV for A-91? Or do you at all? I've getting scope after scope, suppressors, and it just seems to never come. I mean damn, does there really need to be a 4x and a 3.4x scope?

MrBig

SoulPlaya said:
How long does it take to unlock INRV for A-91? Or do you at all? I've getting scope after scope, suppressors, and it just seems to never come. I mean damn, does there really need to be a 4x and a 3.4x scope?
It has one. You can check unlock progress and available unlocks at the battlelog.

Definity

Starting to see more and more people go invincible. It's got something to do with squad revives or picking up an assault kit and doing a revive with it. Any other folks run into it yet?

SteveO409 said:
Or the 8th for me...MW3

I'm very excited to play BF3 on the 8th actually. My play time has been limited as I'm going through other games right now but starting Tuesday I'm going to start putting a lot more time into BF3.

really nothing gets me in the mood for some sweet military action than doing really well on a map and 98% of the maps ending in a random disconnect

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Arnie said:
They just need to tweak it so it's dependant on light conditions to make it less omnipotent.

But nice use of hyperbole.

A little bit of a hyperbole, sure, but for a game this big I'd say it's not too far off.

It was a terrible decision to include the thing in the first place. It literally adds nothing to the game aside from a huge annoyance.

Geoff9920

EmCeeGramr said:
really nothing gets me in the mood for some sweet military action than doing really well on a map and 98% of the maps ending in a random disconnect
So, after coming on and bitching about my experience with jets, I was very close to finally shooting another jet down... *game freezes* *disconnected from server* So awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom