• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

MustacheBandit_ said:
The other classes are quite viable and fun to play and don't need any buffs. It would be silly to buff all three unnecessarily to be on the engineers level when they can just bring the engineer down a few notches to match the other three.

This is what's going to happen. It's almost always easier to balance a game by taking away rather than adding.

Wish list for balancing:

-Buff Assault rifle long range damage
-Nerf Engineer long range damage
-Nerf RPG/SMAW infantry splash damage
-Buff Recon points for Radio Beacon, MAV, and SOFLAM
-MAYBE buff certain Recon rifles to require one less shot to kill at certain ranges

Anton Sugar said:
Wish list for balancing:

-Buff Assault rifle long range damage
-Nerf Engineer long range damage
-Nerf RPG/SMAW infantry splash damage
-Buff Recon points for Radio Beacon, MAV, and SOFLAM
-MAYBE buff certain Recon rifles to require one less shot to kill at certain ranges

How about also make it easier to plant Radio Beacon and the Radar? I can count with 2 hands how many times i have died trying to plant both. Glitchy as fuck.

CozMick

Banned
While we're at it, remove the M203 launcher from the Medic class.

That shit is ridiculous, being able to completely remove the medkit is utterly stupid.

Ikuu said:
Because that is the way they've designed the class, giving C4 to Recon allows for them to play similarly to Special Forces and would work well with the Spawn Beacon. Support is already a strong class without the need for C4.

They designed the classes as they are in the game. People just have notions of what they want to the class to be.

Support is strong class yes, but take away their C4 and suddenly your going to have an influx of players not playing the class and others then going on forums like here and saying how useless they are now, give us some anti tank!

People asking to remove things from one class to give to another class can create more issues than simply improving another class

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't know why Dice took the binoculars and air strikes from the recon-class. :(

Wookie storms from BC2

Anton Sugar said:
F2000 w/IRNV + Rocket Launcher + Mortars = lawl
Well I still think the IRNV shouldn't be in the game :(

It could be set up so a character could only have an RPG or mortars. Like in COD you have an equipment slot which is either grenades or claymore etc. Force the third slot to be a support item like defib/ammo...

But anyway, I know I'm in the extreme minority in this thread of not liking defined classes, so I won't even both elaborating further :D

I can live with the SCAR being nerfed a bit (although I don't think it is overpowered) and as long as they don't ruin the engineer class more than that I'll still be happy. Just get rid of the IRNV k? thx.

radicalchris

Neo Member
Whatever happened to squad leaders being able to call in mortar strikes and other things? Or did I imagine it?

Also Id like to see Recon being able to call in Artillery strikes, add a bit more fun to the class. Just put it on a long cooldown.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
BattleMonkey said:
They designed the classes as they are in the game. People just have notions of what they want to the class to be.

Support is strong class yes, but take away their C4 and suddenly your going to have an influx of players not playing the class and others then going on forums like here and saying how useless they are now, give us some anti tank!
:lol Support doesn't need C4, and I rarely see them using it, you could take it away and the class would still be fine.

radicalchris said:
Whatever happened to squad leaders being able to call in mortar strikes and other things? Or did I imagine it?

Also Id like to see Recon being able to call in Artillery strikes, add a bit more fun to the class. Just put it on a long cooldown.
Artrillery is the dumbest shit ever and I'm glad it isn't in the game.

rance said:
It's balanced by the fact that it's only available to the support class. A class not everyone is jumping on, not unless they bring back the m60 to its broken status. So what we have an infinite amount? If we're running or walking (if you have the vehicle motion sensor perk) to your tank everytime, the problem is on you.

Having a class thats allowed to supply themselves with infinite C4 is not balance.

rance said:
This is what's going to happen. It's almost always easier to balance a game by taking away rather than adding.

All of our debating is a waste because this is exactly whats going to happen

def sim

IRNV

I keep flip flopping on whether it's broken or just the best. After yesterday's games, I'm back to saying it's broken. A buddy of mine who isn't very good at the game at all managed to get 30+ kills with single digit deaths just by hanging out and scoping areas of interest.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Its my birthday today guys so no killing me when I jump on the GAF server later, mmmkay?

radicalchris said:

No, you didn't imagine it. They definitely said that Squad Leaders can call in artillery, separate from the mortar strikes that Support has.

rance said:
IRNV

I keep flip flopping on whether it's broken or just the best. After yesterday's games, I'm back to saying it's broken. A buddy of mine who isn't very good at the game at all managed to get 30+ kills with single digit deaths just by hanging out and scoping areas of interest.

This. When my friends who aren't great at FPS games want to try BF3 on my PC, I just slap an IRNV on the gun and let them go at it. It's great for babysitting.

I like the way Recon is now. Its a very high skill requirements, very similar to its real life counterpart, meaning only those good enough to use it, can. This prevents sniper's getting kills all over the place (a la BC2) while the best snipers can still do perform their role.

owlbeak

ii Stryker said:
Having a class thats allowed to supply themselves with infinite C4 is not balance.
Bad Company 2 had assaults spamming infinite grenades and rocket grenades.

I don't get why people are so butthurt because they get killed a couple of times by one gun, guy, class, etc. and go pissing and crying on forums to have it nerfed. Developers listening to gamers' feedback via messageboards is the worst development of the modern gaming age. Vocal minority always wins because they won't shut the fuck up and learn how to play the game. If recons can't get the job done by staying miles away from the battle and trying to snipe people, tough shit. They don't need mortars. Pick up your rifle and move into the strike zone and get some kills.

Medics were completely helpless against tanks in BFBC2. You play with a squad and you ask your teammates for help, that's why it's a Battlefield game. It's based on teamwork. Not every class needs to be able to handle every situation, that's why there is more than one.

/Rant. This was not directed at you, Stryker, by the way.

Ikuu said:
:lol Support doesn't need C4, and I rarely see them using it, you could take it away and the class would still be fine.

As a mainly support player, I use C4 all the time. And then you got other players complaining about support players being tank killing machines because of infinite C4 ammo? ... yea they "never" use C4.

Also support are not delegated to long range support fire thanks to the foregrip options which makes them excellent close range fighters.

See far more support players actually in the thick of things taking objectives and taking out targets than Recons who tend to just stay back playing sniper.

Give them c4 if they want, give the recons anything to give more help against vehicles, but again taking it away from support is a silly idea

radicalchris

Neo Member
IRNV sights should be restricted to sniper rifles and LMGs.

Also if your using IRNV sight without a flash suppressor you should get blinded by the flash each shot.

birdcity said:
Bad Company 2 had assaults spamming infinite grenades and rocket grenades.

I don't get why people are so butthurt because they get killed a couple of times by one gun, guy, class, etc. and go pissing and crying on forums to have it nerfed. Developers listening to gamers' feedback via messageboards is the worst development of the modern gaming age. Vocal minority always wins because they won't shut the fuck up and learn how to play the game. If recons can't get the job done by staying miles away from the battle and trying to snipe people, tough shit. They don't need mortars. Pick up your rifle and move into the strike zone and get some kills,

/Rant. This was not directed at you, Stryker, by the way,
I agree. I don't think there's anything really unbalanced about the game. I dislike the IRNV, but hey, I'm rocking it too so it's not like it's unfair.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
BattleMonkey said:
See far more support players actually in the thick of things taking objectives and taking out targets than Recons who tend to just stay back playing sniper.
I wonder why that is.

radicalchris said:
This is a pretty terrible suggestion, Support guns don't need to be any stronger than they currently are.

mxgt

Banned
radicalchris said:

Also if your using IRNV sight without a flash suppressor you should get blinded by the flash each shot.

I say snipers only. M249 + IRNV is still absurd.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The only thing that really needs a nerf at this point is the IRNV.

All the other things could get some balancing, but it's not so obvious yet.

Dina

Don't nerf engi guns too much. I agree with the SCAR, but other guns aren't nearly as powerful. Don't turn this into another BF2 where every other class has better anti-infantry options then the engineer.

Do nerf the RPG vs infantry, however. If I carry a gun and I meet an engineer face to face carrying an RPG, I should have him. It's often the other way around.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ikuu said:

Artrillery is the dumbest shit ever and I'm glad it isn't in the game.

I started using Support this weekend, and the c4 is great. Not sure what you are talking about. Stick some on the side of a vehicle, boom.

Kandrick said:
The only thing that really needs a nerf at this point is the IRNV.

All the other things could get some balancing, but it's not so obvious yet.

Yea, massive game changes people are suggesting I think is just going to create a seesaw effect of crap. Balancing out what is currently in game is the best approach. Lot of things need tweaks right now like the IRNV, taclight sillyness, engineer domination, etc

commish

mxgt said:
I'd also tone flashlights and laser sights down. Severely.

I have no problem with those. I think they hurt the person using them more than help, tbh.

owlbeak

The only thing I think is overpowered in this game is flashlights, and only outside during the day. They should either be auto-disabled outside or based off of ambient light so they aren't even noticeable outside during the day.

I'd be fine with the IRNV having the same adjustment so that if you use it outside during the day, you're retinas are going to bleed.

mxgt said:
I'd also tone flashlights and laser sights down. Severely.

i keep seeing a lot of you complain in here about flashlights but they seem to be a rather small annoyance in my eyes and only when its my teammate flashing it at me. for enemies it gives me a pretty clear target to shoot at. If you toned them down it would defeat their point. Or do you mean tone it down when used in outdoor light conditions? I could support that idea.

def sim

The implication that support players don't use C4 is crazy. Why wouldn't we use the thing that allows us to do hijinks? It's what makes the class fun instead of being a bullet servant with alright lmg's. The engi has the best guns, assault at second.

commish

birdcity said:
The only thing I think is overpowered in this game is flashlights, and only outside during the day. They should either be auto-disabled outside or based off of ambient light so they aren't even noticeable outside during the day.

I'd be fine with the IRNV having the same adjustment so that if you use it outside during the day, you're retinas are going to bleed.

Hmm, how about a slight delay as your eyes adjust to the IRNV? Part of the power of the IRNV now is that I can pop it up for a split second to scan an area before I assault it.

rance said:
The implication that support players don't use C4 is crazy. Why wouldn't we use the thing that allows us to do hijinks? It's what makes the class fun instead of being a bullet servant with alright lmg's. The engi has the best guns, assault at second.

i have had some of my more fun moments as a support when sneaking up on vehicles and tossing C4 on them. such a rush when you can pull it off!

commish said:
Hmm, how about a slight delay as your eyes adjust to the IRNV? Part of the power of the IRNV now is that I can pop it up for a split second to scan an area before I assault it.

then people are just going to lay around with INRV always targeted so that they won't have to adjust. INRV has only one saving grace when it comes to making it fair in this game. The only way I can see it being balanced is to do the opposite of what they should do with flashlights and make it only work in indoor/dark areas.

mxgt

Banned
MustacheBandit_ said:
i keep seeing a lot of you complain in here about flashlights but they seem to be a rather small annoyance in my eyes and only when its my teammate flashing it at me. for enemies it gives me a pretty clear target to shoot at. If you toned them down it would defeat their point. Or do you mean tone it down when used in outdoor light conditions? I could support that idea.

I just mean tone down the effect when outside at least. It's way too bright

MustacheBandit_ said:
then people are just going to lay around with INRV always targeted so that they won't have to adjust. INRV has only one saving grace when it comes to making it fair in this game. The only way I can see it being balanced is to do the opposite of what they should do with flashlights and make it only work in indoor/dark areas.

INRV though is not night vision as people think. It does work in day light just fine realistically. As said before adding in a visual hinderance when you fire from your muzzle flash would be very realistic addition. They can also just nerf it's range as it visually picks out targets at crazy ranges and for a 1x scope it is pretty silly.

The class distribution sucks. They need more specialized roles like Spec-Ops who would get C4 and an Anti-Vehicle class that get only close range weapons like PDWs or shotguns instead of carbines. Engineer can focus on repair and maybe add some broken AA guns around the map that engies have to fix to use. Absolutely stupid the way they're set up now; BC2 had better classes.

commish

rance said:

You're crazy. I'd rather have the assault weapons.

You know something is basically "cheats mode" when your non-FPS gaming friends come over and want to play BF3, and you put the IRNV on any weapon they use to help babysit their K/D.

ElyrionX

PatmanBegins said:
I think they should've given C4 to the Recon and the spawn beacon to the Support. Been finding too many Recon idiots sitting on a high rooftop or cliff miles away from the objective with a spawn beacon parked nearby so they don't lose their camping spot. Just further encourages most users of this class to contribute jack and shit to the game.

Giving C4 would encourage Recons to stay near the action to actually use the weapon.

The fact is, as someone who's spent about 75% of his total 35 hours in BF3 as recon, I'm convinced that DICE designed recon to be a class that sits in the hills, sniping. From there, they can use the long-range scopes to spot for their team. From there, they can safely deploy the MAV to scout for the team. From there, they can safely deploy SOFLAM to tag vehicles. And the biggest satisfaction from playing the recon class comes from tagging someone's head with a bolt action rifle from more than 200 metres away. Of course, recons are going to camp in the hills.

The problem is that even if a recon wants to get in close to the action to "contribute" by capping flags, he gets fucked so easily that there's almost no incentive to go. If he meets a vehicle, he's fucked. If he meets any other soldier apart from a recon, he's fucked, I know this, because my playstyle has always leaned towards the assault/engineer, rushing to cap flags, right in the thick of the action. And playing like that as a recon does no favour for my score and my K/D.

Thus, I've had to hang back more often than not, and find good sniping spots while circling around to capture undefended flags at the back. If I see my team narrowly losing, I camp in base and whip out the MAV to try to help turn the tide. There are many ways for recons to contribute without getting in close to the action. That's the way the class was designed.

As much as I would want DICE to give recons the C4 (because I wouldn't mind changing my current playstyle as recon), I doubt it's going to happen. Besides, I think it's going to take more than C4 to make recons more mobile. They also need to make bolt action rifles kill in one shot at close ranges. I think at long ranges, two body shots and one head shot to kill for bolt action rifles is fair but at close ranges when you die so quickly against automatic weapons and it's a lot harder to aim properly, one shot body kill is more appropriate. That way, they still have a slight fighting chance against other classes in close quarters.

owlbeak

commish said:
I'd settle for that, but I'd just like daylight to cause the heat signatures on enemies to be much more subtle.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ii Stryker said:
Then give C4 to assault in place of the Defib.

Except they already did: It's called the M320 grenade launcher. I have damaged and killed the tanks with the grenade launcher before. You need a support to provide ammo, but it's completely possible to kill tanks with 3 of the 4 classes and one of them is by design NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR TANKS.

Faceless: Not sure if trolling...

owlbeak

ElyrionX said:
The problem is that even if a recon wants to get in close to the action to "contribute" by capping flags, he gets fucked so easily that there's almost no incentive to go. If he meets a vehicle, he's fucked. If he meets any other soldier apart from a recon, he's fucked, I know this, because my playstyle has always leaned towards the assault/engineer, rushing to cap flags, right in the thick of the action. And playing like that as a recon does no favour for my score and my K/D.
There are two types of recon players, snipers and assault recons. Assault recons don't get their asses handed to them. They equip a decent all-class gun (UMP, PDW, etc) and move into the capture areas, drop radio beacons, MAVs, and do their killing too. Sure, if a tank comes by, you're fucked. Run and HIDE until your teammates take care of it. I played almost 300 hours in Bad Company 2 and as a medic, I got used to running and hiding at the site/sound of any armor. It's not hard. Spot that tank and someone will generally engage it and take care of it.

Battlefield games are all about adapting to the ongoing combat situation. If you're running CQC as a recon with a sniper rifle drawn and not your pistol or another primary gun, I don't feel bad if you get your shit pushed in, it's your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom