• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It looks like they are in line with singleplayer now which is good. I still think they should be straight up removed unless Dice is gonna make an actual night map.

F#A#Oo

Banned
fuuuuuuck yeah flashlight fix...(I would prefer they took'em out)

The IRNV is a slight change at best in my opinion...

For me DICE really need to re-evaluate their map decisions for the placement of M-COM stations and flags...

If they spread them out and made them less central...BF3 experience would change so much for the better...I mean seriously atm 50% of the map remains unused because of the placement of the objectives...

The IRNV needs to actually work like an infrared scope. If you are looking at a fire or explosions through it your screen should practically white out.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
I was playing some Damavand last night and my god I can't even look at half the map without going blind because of that.

Just another reason why the IRNV is so fucking good, blocks out any sunglare that blinds you.

Arcipello

EVIL said:
Is it me or did they remove the carrier from oman.

at the end he looks around the map and there is no carrier in sight.

if that is the case then it sounds like they have ROYALLY FUCKED up that map.... without the carrier it means there are no jets or helicopters, Oman was my favourite map because it had so much variety... really not happy if this is the case!

EVIL said:
Is it me or did they remove the carrier from oman.

at the end he looks around the map and there is no carrier in sight.

Console version looks like it's based off of the 16 player PC map:

0jn40.jpg

...not sure why it's only three flags on consoles, though.

Well, we know the beach is in, as the vids show seven cap points for Oman, and here is the BF2 64-player version:

7FVXj.jpg

I'd think that they still have the US side starting on the carrier.

Rainy Dog

Raide said:
It makes perfect sense for it to suck in the day and actually be super effective at night. I wonder if they have thought about that or is it just a blanket nerf?

I'd prefer a blanket nerf personally.

Enkidu

Anton Sugar said:
I'd think that they still have the US side starting on the carrier.
Well, they need to have an uncappable for the US team and I don't see where else they'd put it. Besides, simply putting in the carrier would be the easiest way to do it since they already have a carrier modeled and ready. Perhaps they removed it from the console map since it's not part of the playable area so there's no need to render it.

Raide

Rainy Dog said:
I'd prefer a blanket nerf personally.

If they blanket nerf it, I would rather they just remove it altogether.

It seems like one of those ideas that sounds awesome but not executed well in the game. Maybe if they had day and night versions of each of the maps, then it might actually make it useful.

legbone

i really enjoyed the campaign. i just played my first game of multiplayer on sunday. kind of didn't want to like it because i don't have a whole lot of spare time on my hands. well, so much for that idea. i had a blast once i got used to it. one question though, is there something wrong with the voice chat or are people not using headsets? i'm on 360 btw. i heard one person in two hours and i don't think he could hear me. another question i guess, is it squad only?

Harry Dresden said:
The IRNV needs to actually work like an infrared scope. If you are looking at a fire or explosions through it your screen should practically white out.

Yea it would be a nerf in itself if they would add in effects for other heat sources. You have burning tanks all over an area and they don't affect your visibility at all. The heat from the fires should be creating big blotches of nothingness in areas. Toss in all the flashes from explosions, muzzle flashings, fires, and the IRNV would be greatly nerfed. Your own gun's muzzle flash should also be hindering your view, I believe it was one of the ARMA games that had this where the IR scopes were much easier to blind and at times became useless in a heavy battle.

I know it wouldn't be popular, but they could also take off the player tags when using the IRNV as you can't tell normally whose side a person is on when using IR. Lot of friendly fire incidents in real life have occured because of it, and why IR strobes are used. In games of BF3 it likely wouldn't matter anyways as most servers seem to have FF off sadly

legbone said:
i really enjoyed the campaign. i just played my first game of multiplayer on sunday. kind of didn't want to like it because i don't have a whole lot of spare time on my hands. well, so much for that idea. i had a blast once i got used to it. one question though, is there something wrong with the voice chat or are people not using headsets? i'm on 360 btw. i heard one person in two hours and i don't think he could hear me. another question i guess, is it squad only?

I barely hear anyone with random people on 360 when playing BC2, so I'd say that's normal.

(I was part of the problem).

def sim

legbone said:

You can listen to your whole team by going into squad setting and toggling the voice option. Party chat has taken over XBL, so it's harder to find people willing to talk to strangers.

Raide said:

It seems like one of those ideas that sounds awesome but not executed well in the game. Maybe if they had day and night versions of each of the maps, then it might actually make it useful.

It works great in CQB situations, they should leave it in. Tac lights are made for CQB and it really does that well. There are some places in maps also that are very dark too like inside the buildings in Firestorm where it's incredibly dark for some reason and a person can actually be invisible in these shadows.

The problems with the lights was that it was way to powerful in out door situations.

legbone said:

It's Live. Unless you are playing with friends, you won't communicate with other players.

I've gone from playing TF2, to this and it just vexes me that there's hardly any team play at all. The closest you'll get to team play, is someone spawning on you.

Rainy Dog

Raide said:

That's the thing, I'd prefer it out altogether too. But Dice are too proud for that I think.

Like you say, it's a 'cool' and unique feature on paper but I feel it's in there for that reason only. Which is fair enough if its effect is trivial, but its not, its a gameplay changer.

So what are some known things they said are being upped and nerfed weapon/equip wise?

From what I understand:

SCAR getting nerfed
Pistols getting buffed
Jets getting buffed

Any others known or mentioned yet? Did they talk of buffing back the UMP perhaps? Wonder whta Jet buff would entail, right now Jets obviously don't seem to do anything outside of once in a while taking out a tank.

I have a new appreciation for the SCAR-H with foregrip, suppressor, and holo site. It's a fantastic nimble weapon, was leading my team defending on Dpeak rush, which is rare for me :)

Edit reaction to three posts above NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BattleMonkey said:
Did they talk of buffing back the UMP perhaps?
I remember hearing something along those lines too. It desperately needs it as they hit it way to hard with the nerf hammer after the beta. Poor thing didn't even know what hit it.

TheContact

IRNV should only work at night....also, lights should REALLY blind you (taclights and dynamic lighting etc...)

Maybe add an IR scope without NV to compensate?

Twinduct

Stallion Free said:
I remember hearing something along those lines too. It desperately needs it as they hit it way to hard with the nerf hammer after the beta. Poor thing didn't even know what hit it.

Yep, I can honestly say I've only been killed once by it. During the beta it was every second death from them.

Karkand on consoles will have 5 flags.

BattleMonkey said:
So what are some known things they said are being upped and nerfed weapon/equip wise?

From what I understand:

SCAR getting nerfed
Pistols getting buffed
Jets getting buffed

Any others known or mentioned yet? Did they talk of buffing back the UMP perhaps? Wonder whta Jet buff would entail, right now Jets obviously don't seem to do anything outside of once in a while taking out a tank.

From my understanding, full list of upcoming changes in next patch(es):

UMP getting buffed
Pistols getting buffed
SCAR/7.62mm weapons getting nerfed
Either Jets will be buffed or Stinger will be nerfed
IRNV being tweaked
Outdoor flashlight being toned down

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Does anyone know if there is a stationary AA on any of the instances of the USS Essex on any of the maps? I've asked several times and all I've gotten is that it's supposedly on either the end of the deck or on the fantail, but I've never seen it. I don't know if it's supposed to be only a PC exclusive thing or not.

Twinduct

Gvaz said:
I notice Back to Karkland or w/e is $15 on origin. Nope.gif.exe.rar.zip

Ouch ... will check the average player count on the dedicated servers once it comes out. 15 dollars is allot of cheese!

Twinduct said:
So no mortar nerf yet? :p

Eh, not REALLY necessary. If anything, I'd like it to just have limited ammo. Even though Support can resupply themselves, could make it take a long time to resupply.

But I still think someone immediately setting up for counter-mortaring is more effective, especially since it's so easy to do. It's infuriating when playing with other Support members who DO have the mortar unlocked, but just stand by while mortars wreck our team. I can't wait to unlock it myself.

KAOz

Short bus special
DarthWoo said:
Does anyone know if there is a stationary AA on any of the instances of the USS Essex on any of the maps? I've asked several times and all I've gotten is that it's supposedly on either the end of the deck or on the fantail, but I've never seen it. I don't know if it's supposed to be only a PC exclusive thing or not.

Yes there is. It's on the top on the deck, in the front. Looks like a big domelike thing. It's there indeed.

Anton Sugar said:
Karkand on consoles will have 5 flags.

From my understanding, full list of upcoming changes in next patch(es):

UMP getting buffed
Pistols getting buffed
SCAR/7.62mm weapons getting nerfed
Either Jets will be buffed or Stinger will be nerfed
IRNV being tweaked
Outdoor flashlight being toned down

Outside of the SCAR, why are they nerfing the other 7.62 weapons? Haven't seen any issues with any other one.

Megasoum

Banned
Twinduct said:
Ouch ... will check the average player count on the dedicated servers once it comes out. 15 dollars is allot of cheese!

Wait....people were expecting the expension to be anything less than 15$??? Vietnam was 15$ for BC2 AFAIK and even simple map packs for COD are 15$ nowadays so expecting the same amount of maps + new weapons and vehicles would go for 10$ is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom