• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
-GOUKI- said:
ps3 version....uh why?

No idea. Maybe because Sony struck a deal or something or might be because CoD is synonymous with Xbox so EA is going for PS3? :)

Effect said:
Not getting it this year. Now that BF3 is running fine I'm happy. Team Deathmatch in BF3 isn't to bad if I have that desire. I largely started playing Domination in CoD:BO and Conquest is a better for that style of play anyway. I'm just curious as to what the Wii verison of MW3 looks like but BF3 should keep my FPS desire satisfied for some time to come. Especailly since I get the first expansion pack free.

I only play CoD for TDM. Killstreak rewards will make you ONLY want to kill. :)

Proxy said:
I was on the fence about it and ultimately decided against buying it, at least for now. Strangely, I guess, what pushed me over was the fact the game wouldn't be unlocking until 10 AM. Also didn't help that the gameplay videos I saw didn't look all that appealing.

Same here. I was watching a few MP vids and was pretty underwhelmed. To be honest, I couldn't even tell if it was MW3 if it wasn't for the Poinstreak meter on the right. Still kinda weird that I won't be getting it though. My friends are still bugging me to get it. I told 'em I have a strict budget and I'm using my games money for Arkham City and Uncharted 3. Not even sure if I will be able to buy Skyrim. :(

Ysiadmihi said:
I'll be picking up the Wii version at some point. I don't enjoy CoD much at all but something about the Wiimote controls make it fun.

Of course, with BF3 out I have no idea when I'll ever get around to that.

Yep, same here. Only concern of mine is I hope the player count doesn't suffer too much. Though BC2 still had a healthy playerbase even when Black Ops was released. Hopefully, the player count if they do go down, will go up after a week or two once the masses has had their fill of CoD.

Effect

excaliburps said:
I only play CoD for TDM. Killstreak rewards will make you ONLY want to kill. :)
I find the lack of them in BF3 to be better to be honest. I rather die by another player directly then be killed by some "ability" in the sky. Something more acceptable to me personally.

Test successful. No crash at all tonight. Even in a crazy 64 conquest match on Operation Metro. Ugh. Map not designed at all for that many players. It's pure chaos and I do not recommend it. It's not designed well for conquest in general. The Peak map is another that is not suited for conquest. Just becomes rush to who can get the third or middle flag and hold it the longest.

Spl1nter

Mr Sandman said:
3 flags on the 24/32 player version of the map. Ouch. Even on PC playing 32 player server that sucks. They could run the 7 flag version on a 32 player server but that would be pretty sparse and boring.

That is the Karkand 16 player version. It fits 24 players easily, 32 is a bit frantic, probably comparable in pace to bazaar.

Ramirez

Man, the community on the 360 version is just flat out terrible. First of all, the games never fill up for whatever reason, BC2 had this same problem. Second, playing Conquest and it's just a repetition of capping all the bases, while the other team sits back in their spawn and snipes/mortars, SO BORING. Salt in the wound is games of like 8v8 on these huge maps like Kharg/Caspian... -_-

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Mr Sandman said:
3 flags on the 24/32 player version of the map. Ouch. Even on PC playing 32 player server that sucks. They could run the 7 flag version on a 32 player server but that would be pretty sparse and boring.

I play on PS3 and it never gets boring...unless the other team doesn't leave their spawn point and just snipes. Oh, yeah! That shit happens!

Effect said:
I find the lack of them in BF3 to be better to be honest. I rather die by another player directly then be killed by some "ability" in the sky. Something more acceptable to me personally.

Test successful. No crash at all tonight. Even in a crazy 64 conquest match on Operation Metro. Ugh. Map not designed at all for that many players. It's pure chaos and I do not recommend it. It's not designed well for conquest in general. The Peak map is another that is not suited for conquest. Just becomes rush to who can get the third or middle flag and hold it the longest.

Also not a fan of it. I'm a decent CoD player. Definitely above average. When I squad up with friends, we trounce the enemy..hard! And this is with a ping of two bars most of the time! We're already killing them fools and the game gives us more stuff to kill them much more easily? Pretty weird. no? :)

I just don't like the whole "K/D whoring, Kills are all that matter, etc." that the game brings to the table. Not to mention the "press right on dpad" to instantly kill off 5-7 people. It's fun, but I do feel a tad guilty sometimes. No way should I get a lot of kills for pressing a single button!

def sim

Ramirez said:
Man, the community on the 360 version is just flat out terrible. First of all, the games never fill up for whatever reason, BC2 had this same problem. Second, playing Conquest and it's just a repetition of capping all the bases, while the other team sits back in their spawn and snipes/mortars, SO BORING. Salt in the wound is games of like 8v8 on these huge maps like Kharg/Caspian... -_-

Join a near filled server. I swear dudes live in some servers because they stay on forever.

Spl1nter

Mr Sandman said:
Oh, I thought BF3 only had 64 and 32/24 variants of the maps? edit: And I did play BF2 btw.

I am saying 24-32 players on the 7 flag (64 player) version would be boring, possibly.

im saying they used the 16 player variant not the 32 player one from bf2.

redhot_

Heads up to anyone on PS3 using CITV Station on your tanks. Was in one with 1 other person and we were both switching around seats and it froze, twice. Only time this game has locked up for me.

Effect

Ysiadmihi said:
Crashes seem to be getting more and more frequent. Could really use a patch about now.

What graphic settings are you running the game at Ysiadmihi? While it might not solve the problem, worth a shot if you haven't tried, for me lowering my graphics from high to medium seemed to help with my crashing.

eek5

Ysiadmihi said:
Crashes seem to be getting more and more frequent. Could really use a patch about now.
I get green and blue flashes in 80% of my matches now. Feels bad man.

Have they ever acknowledged blue/green flashes at all?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Effect said:
What graphic settings are you running the game at Ysiadmihi? While it might not solve the problem, worth a shot if you haven't tried, for me lowering my graphics from high to medium seemed to help with my crashing.

Changing the settings doesn't really seem to do anything. Many of the crashes also happen while joining a server or at the end of a round too.

mcrae

eek5 said:
I get green and blue flashes in 80% of my matches now. Feels bad man.

Have they ever acknowledged blue/green flashes at all?

green flashes happen once a match for me or so. 2 or 3 times in half a second, and thats it.

this along with varying, un-reproducible stuttering are the only issues im having. the stuttering is pissing me off though.

aznpxdd

I'm starting to love 64 conquest on Bazaar and Metro. God damn I always end up with 3 or 4 K/D ratio on those maps, and rack up the revives.

T6cXg.gif

<3

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
So hang on, Gametrailers gave BF3 an 8.8 with the conclusion "That said, if you enjoy online, vehicle- and objective-based warfare, it has quite a bit of staying power. Just don't expect to get your money's worth from the campaign. "

Now MW3 gets 9.3 with an even lesser campaign time, lesser graphics and no vehicles. I personally find that odd.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Thunderbear said:
So hang on, Gametrailers gave BF3 an 8.8 with the conclusion "That said, if you enjoy online, vehicle- and objective-based warfare, it has quite a bit of staying power. Just don't expect to get your money's worth from the campaign. "

Now MW3 gets 9.3 with an even lesser campaign time, lesser graphics and no vehicles. I personally find that odd.

Conspiracy theorist in me says Shane Satterfield (EiC of content for GT and a HUGE CoD fan) was the one doing the reviews.

This also pretty much guarantees that MW3 will win the VGA for best shooter. Not that it should matter. VGAs are kinda seen as a joke by fans and industry people alike.

Thunderbear said:

Strange indeed, I smell moneyhats.

EDIT: nvm

Thunderbear said:

60fps! visceral! gunplay!

big_z

Mr Sandman said:

i used to always play 32-48 players on 6 flag karkand. it worked perfect because the action usually stuck to 3-4 flags until the attackers made a push for the bridge.

3 flags is too low for 24/32 players. it's going to turn into a meat grinder running back and forth between the flags. hopefully rush will allow people to cross the bridge on consoles, if not dice fucked up hard. even the 64 player version is going to be a bit much i think, it seems like dice is focused on making bf3 infantry feel like cod.

i can imagine the 3 flag wake island right now.

hamchan

Thunderbear said:

The campaign, though shorter (I'm not even sure on this), probably isn't a piece of shit like BF3's. Between BC2 and BF3 I wouldn't trust DICE to make a good FPS campaign anymore.

Moaradin

hamchan said:
The campaign, though shorter (I'm not even sure on this), probably isn't a piece of shit like BF3's. Between BC2 and BF3 I wouldn't trust DICE to make a good FPS campaign anymore.

highly doubt MW3's campaign is much better, if any at all.

J-Rzez

Thunderbear said:

This probably deserves to go into that other thread more so, but this is why you don't take reviews to heart. Pay for ratings, ratings equal sales. Unfortunately, it's too hard to find the genuine stuff these days from media outlets. You're better off finding people with similar taste on places like GAF and read what they have to say to get a better idea. I mean, these media outlets can't even get the facts straight in a game, and many lie just to get something out there.

mcrae

cdyhybrid said:
Just gotta enjoy sniping, man. There's also the fact that I'm better than 90% of the Recon players on the other team in my average game, so it's fun counter-sniping them over and over, especially when they run back to the exact same spot and don't realize I only moved 10 feet to the left until my bullet is in their face again.

As far as useful things to do...
-Spot!
-MAV is underrated, IMO. If you're holding a point/guarding an MCOM, the all-seeing eye of the MAV is a huge advantage.
-SOFLAM + Javelin if you can find an Engy who will play along.

If you're just trying to level it up, consider using an SMG like the UMP instead of a sniper rifle.

im gonna echo my earlier post, and recomend you play rush on any map, with a sv98/irnv... topped the charts twice with that, never have before with recon

Rainy Dog

excaliburps said:
Not sure if posted already, but Gamespot has two new videos showcasing the Back to Karkand expansion. Person playing is kinda crappy though.

http://battlefieldo.com/back-to-karkand-screenshots-videos/

3 flags on both maps? Less than 100m between each one on Karkland? Sigh. I was hoping for some more decent, spacious Conquest maps since there's only 3 or 4 amongst the vanilla bunch on consoles.

Surely I cant be the only one who doesn't want funneling into constant intense action every single second of a match?

Moaradin said:
highly doubt MW3's campaign is much better, if any at all.

All previous Call Of Duty campaigns has been waaaaaay better than the BF3 campaign. If you also factor in the co-op parts, then i can't see that many reviewers scoring BF3 higher than MW3.

With that said, i'm skipping MW3. I absolutely loooove BF3 multiplayer and will not have the time for another multiplayer fps in the coming year.

Zeppelin

I just had a pretty awesome moment where a plane was heading straight for my tank. When it was close enough I fired a canister shell on it, getting the disable. The plane then crashes to the ground right in front of me and since I'm moving forward I end up running it over getting vehicle destroyed, dude killed and roadkill. :D

Plus, I also found a sweet fucking spot on Damavand if you're playing as RU and the enemy has capped tunnel. God damn the spawns in there are broken. ^^

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
J-Rzez said:
This probably deserves to go into that other thread more so, but this is why you don't take reviews to heart. Pay for ratings, ratings equal sales. Unfortunately, it's too hard to find the genuine stuff these days from media outlets. You're better off finding people with similar taste on places like GAF and read what they have to say to get a better idea. I mean, these media outlets can't even get the facts straight in a game, and many lie just to get something out there.

Agreed. I only trust a few reviewers myself and I mostly read up on a game and determine it by then. Heck, I'd rather read various forum posts than trust one review for a purchase.

As evidenced by some people, reviews can be bought - though this doesn't mean it happens automatically for big publishers. I also want to point out that almost ALL triple A release is sure to receive an 8, 8.5 or 9. It's almost a given. Take IGN for instance. Judging from how they're pimping their MW3 review and even doling out MP map videos, etc. I can already tell it will score higher than 8.5 even before it came out. There's no way they'll put in that much effort for a game that's only a "7."

Also, most of the time the reviewers themselves can't game for shit to be honest. That's why for press event footage we see shit gameplay being shown. Makes me wonder how many times reviewers dock scores because they can't understand/can't play a game properly. I know a few instances/sites where I read a similar thing and kinda cringed a little. Crecente of Kotaku admitted he wasn't a skilled BF player when he reviewed BF3, but that was a moot point as he stated it out loud and it wasn't the bearing if he was having fun at all.

Is it funny that it seems that fans are more burned out by CoD than sites/reviewers themselves? Normally it's the other way around isn't it? Not bashing, but true, no? Same thing happened with Guitar Hero, NBA LIVE, etc.

squidyj

hamchan said:

I haven't been hearing anyone saying good things about the MW3 campaign. seems to be as bad if not worse than BF3 campaign and also shorter... Sorry.

Zeppelin

Dunno if this has been up or not but PETA ain't happy about you killing rats in the campaign (translated from German with Google Translate):

Gerlingen, 7 November 2011 - For some, it is the game of the year. For others a brutal first-person shooter. In "Battlefield 3", which is commercially available since last Thursday, are the ghosts. The animal rights organization PETA Germany eV criticism that can kill you in the most realistic computer game "Battlefield 3" animals sadistic manner. This gives players the option of a rat with a combat knife in the back to come to them and then lift the tail and her dead body, then cast aside like trash.

PETA points out that the killing may have a brutalizing effect of virtual animals on the young male target audience. There have been repeated in Germany on cases of animal cruelty, where young people kill animals in cruel ways. Inspiration for these acts they received in the past, often by violent movies and computer games. "Once this first step of brutalization - in the form of animal cruelty - only done once, it is up to the violence against other people do not often far more - the scientists have already found out," says Nadia Kutscher, campaign manager for PETA.

Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...=http://www.peta.de/web/ego-shooter.5065.html

Christ...

def sim

squidyj said:
I haven't been hearing anyone saying good things about the MW3 campaign. seems to be as bad if not worse than BF3 campaign and also shorter... Sorry.

There's no way this is true. BF3 campaign was a badly scripted, derivative mess of the CoD games.

RS4-

squidyj said:
Yeah, it's right up there with BF3s, still bad.

hamchan

squidyj said:
Having played a bit of the MW3 campaign.... It's already better than BF3's.

Anyways this shit, including my posts, should all be going in the garbage or review thread. Complaining about MW3's score not being legitimate doesn't seem like am intelligent conversation to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom