• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Ah, so I see there is a CIWS on the console versions in Rush. And the first time I see it is as it's occupied by a Russian who is effectively invincible. What a monumentally stupid design decision.

I hate mortars so much. When you have 4 or 5 people mortaring on the enemy team on a 64 player conquest game on a map like Grand Bazaar it makes it absolutely awful.

OldJadedGamer said:
I jist started using it and every fucking time they throw a flare.

You basically have to shoot two in a row. I've never caught someone with just one stinger missile; everyone always IR flares. You have to be quick and hope that you can keep locked on them for that long.

Woo-Fu

Banned
PaleFolklore said:
I hate mortars so much. When you have 4 or 5 people mortaring on the enemy team on a 64 player conquest game on a map like Grand Bazaar it makes it absolutely awful.
Do you hate it enough to counter-mortar? You only need 40,000 Support score to unlock mortar, after all.

ColonialRaptor said:
When you can't take out vehicles, what is the point of playing those classes?

Support is the only other class to use because of C4 and getting up close and personal to vehicles is so satisfying, and Recon and SOFLAM is brilliant, but the Engineer class is so brilliant, and I haven't even started using the SCAR yet.

Assault can take out tanks with the M320. That leaves Recon as the only class that can't directly destroy a tank. I suppose that makes sense, seeing as how Recon is the only one that can laze them without using a tank/jet/copter.

PatzCU

PaleFolklore said:

Yep, and then at that point you have to pray there is a mortar-unlocked Support on your team with half a brain to realize he should probably counter mortar. I absolutely hate Seine Crossing for this very reason. I'm always stuck on the team that doesn't counter mortar and end up losing every time. I'd do it myself but then there will be no one to revive. Thanks Engineers!

Mr Sandman said:
You can, it's just you have to find a sweet spot. Wait till he raises the blade as I recall.

Yeah I've knifed a few on 360 as well. I've also gotten the 'bug' and had to back up and come back to get it to work. Same thing as when trying to get dog tags from non-mortaring foes. It seems you can get too close to them and it will just slash instead of snagging tags, so I always creep up on them and wait for, like sandman says, the knife/hand animation to change.

Twinduct

Woo-Fu said:
Do you hate it enough to counter-mortar? You only need 40,000 Support score to unlock mortar, after all.

Assault can take out tanks with the M320. That leaves Recon as the only class that can't directly destroy a tank. I suppose that makes sense, seeing as how Recon is the only one that can laze them without using a tank/jet/copter.

How much damage does one hit do?
4 Direct hits ain't enough :<

leng jai

Did the player count dramatically or what since MW3? I'm looking at the PC servers right now for Oceania and theres not even 1 full server.

JackEtc

OuJtE.gif

Mafro

Love the recon's MAV. Can easily earn almost points per match on Caspian Border just using that on a full 64 player server.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
leng jai said:
Did the player count dramatically or what since MW3? I'm looking at the PC servers right now for Oceania and theres not even 1 full server.
Yes, I noticed that as well. MW3 took a huge chunk out of the BF3 community yesterday and it might have taken one of your verbs too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Twinduct said:
How much damage does one hit do?
4 Direct hits ain't enough :<

I've disabled them with 2 hits to side or rear. I don't know if armor matters to the M320, though. I don't know what HP the tanks were to start with, but they weren't smoking.

I don't know, the MW3 effect wasn't all that pronounced in Europe, but I tend to frequent the same few servers.

SapientWolf said:
Yes, I noticed that as well. MW3 took a huge chunk out of the BF3 community yesterday and it might have taken one of your verbs too.

Nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JackEtc said:
http://i.imgur.com/OuJtE.gif

It's disabled and rolling downhill at speed. But the comment still got to me. But yeah, DICE needs to set a hard limit on disable/kills for the C4 and AT mines. I've gotten 2 AT mine kills before, and then it's like 3-4 AT mines to disable/kill someone. Shits so random and annoying. (Yes, I know about the health and regen system, but there should still be a hard "kill"/disable limit for shit)

I don't know, the MW3 effect wasn't all that pronounced in Europe, but I tend to frequent the same few servers.

Europe don't care about Carl on Duty.

Meanwhile, good: If this leaves people that FINALLY FUCKING USE THE KIT ITEMS, I'm all for it.

Deadly

TheSeks said:
Meanwhile, good: If this leaves people that FINALLY FUCKING USE THE KIT ITEMS, I'm all for it.
Oh god. Yesterday I was playing and I was out of ammo and there's this support guy right in front of me. I asked nicely at first but then I started fucking yelling in the teamchat for him to drop some freakin ammo yet he never did. My friend had to switch to support just so I could resupply.

leng jai said:

I still get full servers but am noticing the quality of games is better now.

artist

Banned
Mafro said:
Love the recon's MAV. Can easily earn almost points per match on Caspian Border just using that on a full 64 player server.
Try it on Tehran Highway since its impossible to spot in the dark .. I'm using it and ending up MVP without a single kill ;)

Metalmurphy said:
It's definitively worst in rush but I've seen it in conquest too.

Yeah I haven't played more than like 2 rounds of rush but it's pretty bad especially in grand bazaar and seine crossing in conquest, people can use their unlimited mortar strike from inside their spawn where we can't go? Yeah fuck that.

I just convinced a long time friend to purchase BF3 instead of MW3. He did so based on all my praise for the series, particularly my recent gushing over BF3.

I hope he doesn't regret his purchase!

TheSeks

HIGH DEF JEFF said:
I just convinced a long time friend to purchase BF3 instead of MW3. He did so based on all my praise for the series, particularly my recent gushing over BF3.

What are kit items and why do I have to go for objectives? This shit sucks, man. Go buy Modern Warfare 3.

Kak.efes

If engineers aren't seriously toned down, I can't really see myself continuing with this game. They're a hard counter to everything. They own air, especially helicopters, and they can completely nullify a jets effectiveness to do anything of worth near an objective. On land, they litter each map with dozens of mines, and are the hardest counter to tanks, and other infantry ground vehicles with rockets. Then there's the weapons, which are on par, in terms of capability, with both the assault, and support classes. Throw in repair, and its ridiculously short cooldown, and you got one of the most imbalanced classes in the game.

Black_Stride said:
You shame all us Engineers out there.

Stinger > Jets.
Flares only delay the inevitable.

Main issue most jet pilots have now unlocked the anti-flare perk, its nearly imposable to take one down since takes like 8secs to lock on.

leng jai said:
that's cause Aussie players like knifing too much and it's way harder in BF3 than BC2

Hawk269

SapientWolf said:

Well, I can say that MW3 on the PC is so much better in regards to controller support than BF3. Not saying one game is better than the other, but DICE/EA really fucked up the controller support on BF3. Other games that came out right around the same time or shortly after have perfect 360 controller support (Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Modern Warfare 3).

It is a shame the DICE/EA fucked up BF3 in so many ways, not just controller support. MW3 is going to take a big cut out of BF3 and personally I like BF3 myself better, but the lack of support/patches etc. has been horrid from DICE. I would of thought that they would of had a big patch to fix things prior to MW3.

F#A#Oo

Banned
HIGH DEF JEFF said:

From the feedback I'm getting from people on my friends list...MW3's Kill Confirmed mode is saving the game from drowning in it's own mediocrity...

In any case he should enjoy BF3 but I can also see why some don't or can't get into BF3. It is a different game...requires a different type of play style and it does take some time to adjust and understand the do's and don't's...

For sure BF3 is difficult to play in short bursts like a CoD game...this is something that jus can't be helped...

F#A#Oo said:
From the feedback I'm getting from people on my friends list...MW3's Kill Confirmed mode is saving the game from drowning in it's own mediocrity...

In any case he should enjoy BF3 but I can also see why some don't or can't get into BF3. It is a different game...requires a different type of play style and it does take some time to adjust and understand the do's and don't's...

For sure BF3 is difficult to play in short bursts like a CoD game...this is something that jus can't be helped...

Believe me, I know..for the most part I have been lone wolfing the BF games since 1942. The trailers convinced a coworker to get it (and a little push from me) and he LOVES the game. He plays Engineer exclusively, which is definitely the the most welcoming class to a newcomer.

I just don't want to be the guy who made someone spend 60 bucks on something they don't like.

Everyone in here knows the satisfaction of the BF games, and of course DEM BF moments. It's just hard to express those..you just hope people play long enough to experience them.

i am not sure if it is just a coincidence but since MW3 has released I am seeing a lot less snipers. I guess a lot of the "lone wolf" types moved to a game that better suits their needs?

I got a question over here... What is the required broadband speed for this to run without LAG? I supposedly have 3mb and a 320kb upload and Im getting Lag all over the place! Its really annoying.

Also just called my IP and something seems off with my upload. Ive been noticing for a while. Im paying for 4mb of internet and getting less than what Im paying for. Also Im playing on PS3

MustacheBandit_ said:
i am not sure if it is just a coincidence but since MW3 has released I am seeing a lot less snipers. I guess a lot of the "lone wolf" types moved to a game that better suits their needs?

Prone snipers have gone down about 80%. I miss the easy knife kills though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Like I said, I was never able to be the gunner. Only pilot or passenger. Seems people just wait around to jump in the heli as soon as it appears in the list just like I was(sorry team!), so I never got the chance.

When I was pilot, like I said, we just got shot down as soon as I got near the action as I dont have flares unlocked yet. I'm fairly comfortable flying now(as in, I'm not a complete idiot in the pilot seat), but I'm no expert or anything yet. Swooping along the ground without hitting anything isn't really in my ability just yet, and probably wont be until I actually get more flying time.

Playing on the 360 here, by the way.

Didn't know I could do that, thanks. Thing #3923493 that are never explained to you in the game!
Nope. Played for a few more hours tonight and made a grand total of 120 points in helicopters. I cant do shit in them and I'm NEVER, absolutely NEVER the gunner. The couple times I was we were shot down or crashed.

The times I was a pilot, I'd try and get to a flag in the few instances it was possible, but I'd get shot down first or there were no flags that could realistically be taken.

I dont get it. I dont get how I'm supposed to ever learn how to do this.

Mafro said:

Ya that thing is a blast, it is a lot more fun that I thought it would be. That and it is great watching the battle unfold when things start going crazy.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Just hide until there is a ground target on your map. Pop up and rocket it, get at least the 100 for the disable. If you want to be gunner and are stuck as pilot just scare your gunner enough that he jumps out, then switch seats. :p

Seanspeed

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Just hide until there is a ground target on your map. Pop up and rocket it, get at least the 100 for the disable. If you want to be gunner and are stuck as pilot just scare your gunner enough that he jumps out, then switch seats. :p
Switch seats so no one is piloting it? I also haven't figured out how to switch seats anyways. Nothing in the game has ever told me how to do this and every time I try and press a bunch of buttons to figure it out, I end up hitting the bail out button.

I cant take out ground targets because I'm shot down with seconds every time I get in the air and I have no way to defend myself.

I'd seriously pay like $5 if I could get some unlocks for it. I'm at an absolute loss as to how I'm supposed to do anything right now. I've never had a game just completely not explain anything to me about how to do things.

ColonialRaptor said:
How much damage does the M320 do to armoured vehicles? Is it similar to RPG's? Or is it no where near?

Not a lot I think, I have tried it a couple of times now and doesn't seem to do anything near as close as the RPGs.

mr_nothin

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
How much damage does the M320 do to armoured vehicles? Is it similar to RPG's? Or is it no where near?
It can take out LAV's and AA's pretty good but dont even try it on a tank (only if it's disabled and burning in flames already). I love taking out hummers and lav's with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Switch seats so no one is piloting it? I also haven't figured out how to switch seats anyways. Nothing in the game has ever told me how to do this and every time I try and press a bunch of buttons to figure it out, I end up hitting the bail out button.

I cant take out ground targets because I'm shot down with seconds every time I get in the air and I have no way to defend myself.

I'd seriously pay like $5 if I could get some unlocks for it. I'm at an absolute loss as to how I'm supposed to do anything right now. I've never had a game just completely not explain anything to me about how to do things.

You switch seats with the "A" button if you're playing on 360. You can't do this unless the other seat is empty, of course. If you are on PC you can use f1 for pilot and f2 for gunner. I do not know what it is on ps3 but I'd assume it would be whatever the dualshock's A button equivalent is.

You can get kills before dying without having flares. I suspect you're flying too high, not making use of cover, buildings, dips in terrain, mountains, etc. On firestorm I hide behind the mountain beside the airstrip until I know where the enemies are and then start a run from there with a target in mind.

As for defending yourself you do what I said, put the environment between you and whatever is trying to put a lock on you.

Lastly, helicopter pilots make very low points until they're a) very good, b) working with a good gunner, and c) aren't facing a team focused on AA. Until then you need to make points as a gunner whenever possible. Figure out how to be the gunner instead of the pilot on a regular basis or give up now.

On the tank issue, 2-3 M320 grenades will disable a tank in my experience. I only had opportunities to do this 4-5 times while getting the assault service star but 2-3 disabled a tank every one of those times. At that point the driver jumps out to repair the tank and you kill him once he repairs it enough so that it isn't burning and you steal the tank.

TheSeks

Anton Sugar said:
I have to wonder this, too. Is it really enough to be considered an AT solution?

If the tank is somewhat damaged before: Yeah. It does a decent clip. More than BC2's 40MM Grenades I did, I feel. Not a "viable" AT solution since you only get 4 shots with extra explosives perk (IIRC), but it does hassle them while someone can sneak up to C4 or rocket them or work together to disable/take down.

Playing MW3 is like playing the beta of Battlefield 3 where your health would instantly go down from 100% to 0% when getting shot, except it's in the retail game and happens every 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom