• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
You switch seats with the "A" button if you're playing on 360. You can't do this unless the other seat is empty, of course. If you are on PC you can use f1 for pilot and f2 for gunner. I do not know what it is on ps3 but I'd assume it would be whatever the dualshock's A button equivalent is.

You can get kills before dying without having flares. I suspect you're flying too high, not making use of cover, buildings, dips in terrain, mountains, etc. On firestorm I hide behind the mountain beside the airstrip until I know where the enemies are and then start a run from there with a target in mind.

As for defending yourself you do what I said, put the environment between you and whatever is trying to put a lock on you.

Lastly, helicopter pilots make very low points until they're a) very good, b) working with a good gunner, and c) aren't facing a team focused on AA. Until then you need to make points as a gunner whenever possible. Figure out how to be the gunner instead of the pilot on a regular basis or give up now.

On the tank issue, 2-3 M320 grenades will disable a tank in my experience. I only had opportunities to do this 4-5 times while getting the assault service star but 2-3 disabled a tank every one of those times. At that point the driver jumps out to repair the tank and you kill him once he repairs it enough so that it isn't burning and you steal the tank.
Everybody is an engineer, so I get taken out too quickly to ever learn any 'tricks' to flying. I simply dont get enough flying time to improve my skill. I get a lock-on, but normally have absolutely no place to go in time to get out of the way, as if I knew where I was getting locked on from in the first place.

As for figuring out how to be a gunner, I'd love some advice, cuz it seems to be pure luck for me.

I've spent pretty much the whole of my time gaming today getting 140 points in a heli. Really frustrating.

Thanks for the info on switching seats, though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Everybody is an engineer, so I get taken out too quickly to ever learn any 'tricks' to flying. I simply dont get enough flying time to improve my skill. I get a lock-on, but normally have absolutely no place to go in time to get out of the way, as if I knew where I was getting locked on from in the first place.

As for figuring out how to be a gunner, I'd love some advice, cuz it seems to be pure luck for me.

I've spent pretty much the whole of my time gaming today getting 140 points in a heli. Really frustrating.

Thanks for the info on switching seats, though.

Your best bet might be finding somebody on here who is good with copters, has unlocks, and is playing on the same platform. Squad up with them and let them pilot. I'm on PC so I can't help you.

Got like 3 freezes on PC, I don't know why, but is getting annoying, before I would get a closed game when loading a map, now this...uck, at coincidence or not, it began after the new origin patch.

The guided missile for the jet is dogshit i'd given it another chance but it sucks balls, 3 missiles to kill a tank? I'd rather keep getting better with rocket pods.

tigerin said:
a lot of hating in this thread.

We hated BF3 quite enough, now it's turn for MW3.

So as you can see, in this thread we treat both games equally.

tigerin

Interficium said:
Playing MW3 is like playing the beta of Battlefield 3 where your health would instantly go down from 100% to 0% when getting shot, except it's in the retail game and happens every 10 seconds.

a lot of hating in this thread.

mr_nothin

Banned
If you have an Nvidia card and you want an extra 5-15 FPS AND less stuttering (I have none) then download the new 285.67 drivers.

They're from a newer batch than the 285.62, 285.64, and 285.69 drivers. These drivers are pretty amazing for BF3.

I'm hanging around 60 on a lot of maps with everything on Ultra w/ maxed out motion blur and 90fov. I get constant 70-120fps with MSAA (Deferred AA) off and everything else left to maximum.

I have a 570 GTX and a phenom 955 OC'd to 4.3ghz and 6 gigs of ram.

Nvidia Forceware 285.67 Drivers:

win7/vista x64 Desktop
http://www.mediafire.com/?xjpv30ia4r03if1

win7/vista x32 Desktop
http://www.mediafire.com/?ak5y62d81yd2fkk

Lax Mike

Neo Member
WoodenLung said:
Yeah I haven't played more than like 2 rounds of rush but it's pretty bad especially in grand bazaar and seine crossing in conquest, people can use their unlimited mortar strike from inside their spawn where we can't go? Yeah fuck that.
You do realize your team has access to mortars too, and that spamming the mortar is basically painting a big bulls eye on your head for enemy mortars, right?

Lax Mike said:
You do realize your team has access to mortars too, and that spamming the mortar is basically painting a big bulls eye on your head for enemy mortars, right?

Well I haven't unlocked mortars so I can't do it. It's bullshit that every other class is fucked because he can spam it from his spawn.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
mr_nothin said:
If you have an Nvidia card and you want an extra 5-15 FPS AND less stuttering (I have none) then download the new 285.67 drivers.

They're from a newer batch than the 285.62, 285.64, and 285.69 drivers. These drivers are pretty amazing for BF3.

I'm hanging around 60 on a lot of maps with everything on Ultra w/ maxed out motion blur and 90fov. I get constant 70-120fps with MSAA (Deferred AA) off and everything else left to maximum.

Thanks, i just hope it gets rid of the bf3.exe has stopped working error every time I start up the game. I never had this issue before in the beta but it's been an annoying 3 weeks

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mr_nothin said:

I'll give it a try, hopefully it gets rid of the green/orange/red blinking i sometimes get while playing the game. Weird how i can't find these drivers on the nvidia website though.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bisnic said:
I'll give it a try, hopefully it gets rid of the green/orange/red blinking i sometimes get while playing the game. Weird how i can't find these drivers on the nvidia website though.
It doesnt but it doesnt happen as often for me.
Nvidia has been putting out a few betas that arent on the website lately. .64, .67, and .69 arent on the website.

Bisnic said:

That happens for me too, thought it was a problem only I had (hadn't seen people mention it) but then saw the same thing in giantbombs TnT. :/

SteveO409 said:
Thanks, i just hope it gets rid of the bf3.exe has stopped working error every time I start up the game. I never had this issue before in the beta but it's been an annoying 3 weeks

Yes please, I am getting this so much now and never had that in the beta either.

artist

Banned
The mini map and or the health/ammo stat dont always show up for me .. is this a known bug or something happening to me only?

Helmholtz

WoodenLung said:
That happens for me too, thought it was a problem only I had (hadn't seen people mention it) but then saw the same thing in giantbombs TnT. :/
I get it too (on an ATI card), but it's only once in a while and not a huge deal to me. It was more noticeable in the beta I think.

leng jai

Any tips on how to not die every two seconds on Operation Firestorm? As a mainly Engineer/Assault player this map has been the scene of some truly horrific scores for me. Map is huge and there seems to be a shit ton of tanks/snipers everywhere.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
irfan said:
The mini map and or the health/ammo stat dont always show up for me .. is this a known bug or something happening to me only?

Sometimes i don't see my health or ammo either. Always wondered what was up with that... must be bug #22 of BF3 lol.

SteveO409

WoodenLung said:

Yes please, I am getting this so much now and never had that in the beta either.
So far so good. I managed to join 2 games without an error which I would ALWAYS get before!

SteveO409

Woot the nvidia drivers has officially got rid of the most annoying error I ever had! I jumped between 8+ servers without crashing!

samdavis

Neo Member
leng jai said:
Any tips on how to not die every two seconds on Operation Firestorm? As a mainly Engineer/Assault player this map has been the scene of some truly horrific scores for me. Map is huge and there seems to be a shit ton of tanks/snipers everywhere.

Operation Firestorm might be my best map. I almost always play Engineer and I rack up the points using the "perk" to give me extra mines and dropping them in the fields and on the asphalt right in front of "A." It's like nobody EVER thinks that there might be mines there and I always destroy huge numbers of tanks and trucks.

I also don't run around a lot. It probably goes without saying but, at least for me, incessant sprinting will always see me round a corner and run right into a guy and of course get laid to rest. If I'm defending I stay near or inside "A" and usually let the other members protect "B" (of course it always feels like me and my squad are the only ones actually going for objectives).

Now Kharg Island on the other hand... I feel like quitting everytime I see that loading screen.

Kahoona

I really hope they do something to the Russian attack helicopter. The US one just blows it out of the water maneuverability-wise. The extra armor really doesn't help at all...speed is the key to dodging things, not absorbing hits.

Kahoona said:
I really hope they do something to the Russian attack helicopter. The US one just blows it out of the water maneuverability-wise. The extra armor really doesn't help at all...speed is the key to dodging things, not absorbing hits.

Dealwithit.gif

Jak140

Does anyone else have trouble using Vent while playing BF3 since today's Origin update? I have to tab out now in order for my Vent bind key to work.

Zeppelin

After last night the recon class has started to grow on me a bit. I unlocked the MAV and it was pretty fun to play around with. SOFLAMs on Kharg and Firestorm are also pretty damn neat! I still think the SVD/Mk 0 are way to weak in 1on1 situations but since I started doing headshots they've given me a lot more love too.

Daigoro

Ramirez said:
I'm seriously in love with the F2000, just like I was in BC2. So good.

i like it as well. its actually the only gun ive stuck with long enough to get a service star with in about 26 hrs. of play.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
My friend who was playing Rush exclusively in BFBC2 (on PC) switched to Conquest in BF3. Tells a lot about Rush quality on PC.

also some Rush servers are set to 64 players. I had flashbacks of playing Shipment with 64 players.

mr_nothin

Banned
mxgt said:
These are legit and improve performance?
Varna said:
Where are these from?

Yes they are legit lol and yes they improve performance
They come from Nvidia and they are "laptop drivers" but all Nvidia drivers are unified meaning that each driver supports every video card in Nvidia's lineup. All that needs to be done is the modifying of the inf file that allows you to install it on desktop videocards. Make sure you get the 285.67 drivers and not the 285.69's. The .67 drivers are newer than the .69's.

The inf modding has already been done in the 2 links I posted but if you want to do it yourself then go here and download the drivers:
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/169-28x-series-geforce-driver-release/

mr_nothin

Banned
SteveO409 said:
Woot the nvidia drivers has officially got rid of the most annoying error I ever had! I jumped between 8+ servers without crashing!
Awesome!

Oh wow, seems like some new Nvidia drivers have just been released! The 285.79's
Seems like its the *Official fix for the stuttering and a couple of other things in BF3 and also says it supposed to improve performance at the same time.

I'm going to see if these drivers are from a newer set or if they're older than the 285.67's. But as it stands right now...the 285.67's will give you the best performance (if you ignore the newly released .79's right now). I'm about to test these out!
Newly Released Forceware 285.79 Drivers:

Includes several bug fixes and performance improvements for Battlefield 3.

Fixes cases of irregular performance (stuttering) primarily seen on DirectX 10 GPUs. The fix improves the performance of both DX10 and DX11 GPUs.
Fixes shadow map corruption seen with DirectX 10 GPUs.
Fixes cases of black corruption lines/triangles with DirectX 10 GPUs.
Windows 7 64 Bit
Windows 7 32 Bit

EDIT:
I can report that these drivers are the newest ones out. They're from the 285_58-2 set while the .67's are from the 285_15-63 set. This bodes well so far. Now on to testing them out!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Mr Sandman said:
Team stacking in this game is the worst I have seen. 4 colonels on one team vs all lows on another, then the higher ranked people will switch if they're losing (to get winning points or some stupid shit). On a ton of different servers we just got steamrolled all night. 4 wins all night. Pathetic. Who wants to steamroll that much? It's fucking boring.

I thought it was bad in BC2, but at least most servers had squad scrambling a while after release. Good thing Zelda, Mario, Skyrim are almost here. Sick of this game's community.

/rage bitching

Yeah, happened to me last night. The other team had their lowest level player at level 20, while I had level 2-5 teammates. Of course, the fact that they were also a squad also made it way harder.

Normally, it's us who steamroll in the games. Does get boring though, would ask you to join me in steamrolling but I play on PS3. :)

W/L ratio approaching 4:1! :D

KAOz

Short bus special
I need me a good Helicopter pilot on Ps3.

I unlocked flairs for the Attack Helicopters, but, no one ever wants to fly with me. They all ditch the chopper. And, yeah, I'm not comfortable enough to fly it all properly and awesome. Need me that Air Warfare ribbon. :p

iNvid02

LonelyIsland said:

great, improvements below
direct link for win7 64bit - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.79-beta-driver-uk.html

New in Version 285.79

Includes several bug fixes and performance improvements for Battlefield 3.
Fixes cases of irregular performance (stuttering) primarily seen on DirectX 10 GPUs. The fix improves the performance of both DX10 and DX11 GPUs.
Fixes shadow map corruption seen with DirectX 10 GPUs.
Fixes cases of black corruption lines/triangles with DirectX 10 GPUs.
Fixes black screen during playback using Windows Media Center.

Added or updated SLI profiles for the following games:
Aion v3.0
Anno 2070
Assassins Creed: Revelations
Bastion
Need for Speed: The Run
Payday: The Heist
The Adventures of Tintin
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Added or updated the following 3D Vision game profiles:
Airline Tycoon 2 – rated Fair
Assassin's Creed: Revelations – rated Good
Batman: Arkham City – updated rating to 3D Vision Ready
Deus Ex: Human Revolution – rated Excellent
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – rated Excellent
FIFA 12 – rated Good
Hard Reset – updated rating to 3D Vision Ready
inMomentum – rated Fair
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Smash Cars – rated Fair
Two Worlds 2: Castle Defense – rated Good
Zombie Driver – rated Excellent

Other Details
Includes HD Audio driver 1.2.24.0.
Includes PhysX System Software 9.11.11.07.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom