• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
Holy Crap, the performance on these are :O
I got a 10-15 fps increase OVER the .67's which already gave me a 5-10fps increase.
I thought I was playing with MSAA OFF but then I chked and it was at 4x.........

So smooth and mouse lag is completely gone.
But it does seem like AA quality has taken a dive somewhat.
These drivers are amazing for BF3 though!

EDIT:
It seriously feels like I'm playing *ahead of everybody else. It even reduces lag for me. It's like im actually seeing the game instantly instead of being behind a few frames. It's weird but its not hyperbole...trust me!

mcrae

mcrae said:
how long does a spot last on a player?
what results in players appears on your minimap?
whats the difference between 2d and 3d spotting? there are options the server can enable right? what do they do?

i know one of you guys has an answer or two for these

Jtrizzy

mr_nothin said:
I got a 10-15 fps increase OVER the .67's which already gave me a 5-10fps increase.
I thought I was playing with MSAA OFF but then I chked and it was at 4x.........

EDIT:
It seriously feels like I'm playing *ahead of everybody else. It even reduces lag for me. It's like im actually seeing the game instantly instead of being behind a few frames. It's weird but its not hyperbole...trust me!

These aren't showing up on the US site. I'm downloading the 64 bit drivers linked to above.

mcrae

mr_nothin said:

EDIT:

im so fucking jealous. i get horrid mouse lag... too bad im using amd :(

mr_nothin

Banned
mcrae said:
i know one of you guys has an answer or two for these
Players appear on minimap if spotted or if you fire any unsuppressed weapon.

3D spotting is when you spot someone and an orange triangle is placed on their head for everyone to see exact position.

2D spotting is spotting someone and it shows up on the minimap.

Spotting (under the NORMAL server preset with 3d/2d spotting enabled) will do both 3d and 2d spotting at the same time. So spot someone and they'll show up on minimap and have triangle above their head.

Spotting lasts as long as you have line of sight. As long as you can still see them then they should still be spotted.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So, we should get patch details within the week. I'm guessing the patch will be implemented next week if not after?

It just pains me how hard it is to properly play with friends. It's a chore - to the point that it sometimes takes us five tries just to properly squad up! Now that there are 5-6 of us, how on earth can we be in one team in the same game? 3 man squads but two of 'em. Might be a bitch to properly play in a single game. Anyone tried it yet?

Also, VOIP is in the shitter now and when we were playing Rush last night, it was a chore to let the other player known where the enemy was. It's just disheartening because I know some people are getting discouraged from playing the game due to its bugs and whatnot. Hopefully, people come back into the fold once the patch has been implemented. But how will they know that unless they're on forums, twitter, etc, no?

I also assume that Battlecorder won't be able to make it into the first patch. Hopefully it will be implemented soon...or at least include it in the Karkand expansion. It's going to be out for December and we still don't have a date. Hopefully, before mid-December.

So, what are your major gripes with the game so far? I'm mostly irked at the bugs and not much else. If they fix that, add in Battlecorder and maybe more maps, I'd be set.

Ryan_

LonelyIsland said:
just crashed twice within an hour.

:(

Same here, the game just freezes entirely and I have to reset. It always happens after about 5 minutes. I don't understand what the problem is. Never had this problem before.

EA really isn't making itself popular with all this crap.

Drivers obviously didn't fix crashing but the performance is so much better for me. I can actually play with a very stable 30-40 fps on my GTX275 with medium to high detail in 1920x1200 where I had to lower the resolution earlier and still got weird stuttering/lag.

Ryuuga

Banned
Crashes? Yeah, I'll hold off getting the new drivers then. I don't even see many benefits for DX11 cards anyway other than a slight performance increase. Does it fix visual irregularities with DX11 cards too? (hot green flashes & triangles)

Ryan_

Backfoggen said:
Drivers obviously didn't fix crashing but the performance is so much better for me. I can actually play with a very stable 30-40 fps on my GTX275 with medium to high detail in 1920x1200 where I had to lower the resolution earlier and still got weird stuttering/lag.

Really? I have a GTX 275 too. What drivers are you using? Because I've been playing on low for the past week, even then with some weird stuttering.

Damnit, I'll try the drivers out more tomorrow afternoon, but the performance gains are AMAZING.

However, if it crashes more often, I guess I'll have to sacrifice it. :(

Ryuuga

Banned
Backfoggen said:
Game is not crashing for me, still getting "Battlefield has stopped working" on startup sometimes. GTX 275.

Yeah, genuinely curious because I was having that issue a few days ago although not as rampant. I have a GTX 570 so I guess I'll report back after to see how well the new drivers stack up.

Can anyone tell me what the point is of frag ammo for shotties? It seems to be inferior in every way to flechette.

Also, what's the point of the suppressor on any gun? Increased bullet drop for what seems to be zero advantage?

mr_nothin

Banned
I'm not getting any sort of crashing at all and I have my 570 OC'd like hell.
Well, maybe it's because I have the bf3.exe doing the "run as admin" trick? I wasnt getting much crashing anyways but the new drivers are rock solid for me

Ryuuga

Banned
elrechazao said:
Can anyone tell me what the point is of frag ammo for shotties? It seems to be inferior in every way to flechette.

Also, what's the point of the suppressor on any gun? Increased bullet drop for what seems to be zero advantage?

Can't answer the question about shotty munitions, but the suppressor prevents you from appearing on the map briefly as you would any other unsuppressed weapon.

cdyhybrid

Just had my best jet game so far. 2500 points on Kharg Island CQ. Rocket pods for tanks and the machine gun for jets and choppers. Next unlock is the guided missles. Assuming I don't have a SOFLAM buddy, are guided missles better than rocket pods for ground targets?

cdyhybrid said:
Just had my best jet game so far. 2500 points on Kharg Island CQ. Rocket pods for tanks and the machine gun for jets and choppers. Next unlock is the guided missles. Assuming I don't have a SOFLAM buddy, are guided missles better than rocket pods for ground targets?

It's kind of a personal preference, but I greatly prefer rocket pods.

mr_nothin

Banned
elrechazao said:

Some people, like me, dont like enemies having 4-6 different ways of knowing your EXACT position all the times (3d spotting, minimap spotting, auto spotting by shooting, sound, killcam, etc etc). I dont like being penalized for shooting my gun and I'm Mr Flanktown. I like to get in there and go around back and capture/kill them from behind. Suppressors let me kill ppl w/o alerting nearby teammates too much.

I'll trade off being less efficient at long range for stealth. I still get kills at long range too though.

demolitio

cdyhybrid said:
If you have a SOFLAM up or its hardcore mode, then yes. Most of the time, it takes forever to lock on unless you use the beam scanning specialization as well and the tanks usually pop smoke before your missile hits anyway. I only said it's better on hardcore mode because it helps you locate the vehicles compared to the rocket pods where it takes a lot of looking just to find a target and it's usually too late to destroy it in that run at that time anyway, so being on a normal server where people can spot the tank makes it a lot easier with the rockets.

If you have a teammate using a SOFLAM though, the lock-on is very quick and the tank's smoke doesn't affect your missile so it always leads to a hit and more damage done.

Ryuuga

Banned
On GTX 570, I've seen slightly improved loading time, complete absence of visual irregularities so far and when NOW that I'm running the game as admin I'm not seeing any sudden crashes.

mr_nothin

Banned
demolitio said:
If you have a SOFLAM up or its hardcore mode, then yes. Most of the time, it takes forever to lock on unless you use the beam scanning specialization as well and the tanks usually pop smoke before your missile hits anyway. I only said it's better on hardcore mode because it helps you locate the vehicles compared to the rocket pods where it takes a lot of looking just to find a target and it's usually too late to destroy it in that run at that time anyway, so being on a normal server where people can spot the tank makes it a lot easier with the rockets.

If you have a teammate using a SOFLAM though, the lock-on is very quick and the tank's smoke doesn't affect your missile so it always leads to a hit and more damage done.
Hahah, nice avatar!

Mafro

Snkfanatic said:
Ya that thing is a blast, it is a lot more fun that I thought it would be. That and it is great watching the battle unfold when things start going crazy.
At first I didn't even realise you could destroy enemy spawn beacons, motion sensors, mortars and other MAVs with it!

Kubisa

Neo Member
Mafro said:
At first I didn't even realise you could destroy enemy spawn beacons, motion sensors, mortars and other MAVs with it!

So good. I usually fly my MAV pretty high, so I always manage to catch the opponents MAV's within 20 seconds of them going up as they can't look upwards. Also great for finally getting rid of pesky re-spawning snipers in high places.

I've kind of got addicted to it though; it seems like the best way to help the team, and I can't help but use it every match now.

Mafro

Kubisa said:
So good. I usually fly my MAV pretty high, so I always manage to catch the opponents MAV's within 20 seconds of them going up as they can't look upwards. Also great for finally getting rid of pesky re-spawning snipers in high places.

I've kind of got addicted to it though; it seems like the best way to help the team, and I can't help but use it every match now.
Same. I only really seem to get a lot of sniper kills on Tehran Highway, Kharg Island and Caspian Border. For most other maps I always get more points just going 0-0 and using the MAV rather than playing normally. I just want that M98B so badly.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The Faceless Master said:
if *you* get disconnected, yes. if the server crashes, no.

Even if you quit out you get points when the round ends, and it shows up in the battlelog. (PC)

Binabik15

Well, I know that I got both points and ribbons after I just crashed out of a great game that had me getting not one, not two, but THREE enemy tanks/AA tanks from behind at the office site on Firestorm. The rest of the round I was constantly destroyed by a great Viper pilot, but I took him out a couple of times, too. Well, disabled him, I destroyed him once, I think.

Had 3.6k points, that was a 2k points difference to the next best guy on my team o_O. Alas, I crashed out of the game for the first time, yay.

Only 3k points left for the MBT optical camo.

Where are you guys (Euro) playing right now?

Menelaus

Banned
Ryuuga said:
Can't answer the question about shotty munitions, but the suppressor prevents you from appearing on the map briefly as you would any other unsuppressed weapon.
Except that right now, suppressor is broken on half the guns it should work for, and won't work on every gun anyways (like shotguns, for instance).

Suppressor also reduces recoil and bullet speed/distance at long range. If you're in a close quarters area/map, there's pretty much no negative to using a suppressor.

IlludiumQ36

excaliburps said:
It just pains me how hard it is to properly play with friends. It's a chore - to the point that it sometimes takes us five tries just to properly squad up! Now that there are 5-6 of us, how on earth can we be in one team in the same game? 3 man squads but two of 'em. Might be a bitch to properly play in a single game. Anyone tried it yet?
Squad management is terrible, especially on a full/near full server. The ability to create additional squads (above the 8 squad limit on 32 player teams) would be a welcome feature. Bad Company 2 did it right - more squads available than the team size could fill.

Ryan_

Downloaded the new nVidia drivers.

I can play on medium now without any stutter or lag but the game keeps freezecrashing after 5 minutes. I'm sick of it.

IlludiumQ36 said:
Squad management is terrible, especially on a full/near full server. The ability to create additional squads (above the 8 squad limit on 32 player teams) would be a welcome feature. Bad Company 2 did it right - more squads available than the team size could fill.

I completely agree with this. Squad management is shit. Sometimes when playing with friends I can't even join their squad with an open spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom