• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Proposed Law said:
I don't have much experience with BF in the past, but my experiences have been not that great. It always felt like everyone was just snipers and I was target practice. I'd run 5 min, sniped. Repeat.
Granted I've only played on console, but has this changed in BF3?
Never had this problem so far in BF3. If Snipers are hurting you, a well placed mortar shell can take care of them very easily, or you could just find ways around the map that offer more cover from snipers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
spidye said:
ok thanks. seems kind of pointless to me. oh well

another question. what are the best perks for jets? I use stealth-flares-heat guided missiles.

It's not. Scroll up to my points game. 15 kills with 2 deaths being the helicopter flying to the top of the crane I couldn't take down/blow cover and RPGing me. The mobile anti-air is too beastly.

spidye said:
another question. what are the best perks for jets? I use stealth-flares-heat guided missiles.

Learn to use you guns. It will be far more effective in the long run. Also I run perma air radar and guided missile (air to ground). The awareness of air radar makes it the best perk.

CatPee

spidye said:
ok thanks. seems kind of pointless to me. oh well

I run Air Radar, Extinguisher, and Rocket Pods. Extinguisher will keep you in the air for a longer period of time and Air Radar lets you in on the locations of enemy vehicles. Rocket Pods, I use against tanks. Usually, I fly far out, circle back and increase altitude, then dive while aimed at a tank and disable/destroy it with the machine gun, then finish it off with Rocket Pods if necessary.

EDIT: Also, if a good bit of your MG fire hits the back of a tank, it'll blow up within 2 seconds. I destroyed aa couple of tanks at the Attacker Spawn this way and got some hate mail for it.

Mafro

I saw Demize mention that there's 1.5 seconds of invincibility when you spawn. Sounds like more of his bullshit as this is definitely not in the case when you spawn right into enemy gunfire.

Mafro said:
I saw Demize mention that there's 1.5 seconds of invincibility when you spawn. Sounds like more of his bullshit as this is definitely not in the case when you spawn right into enemy gunfire.

Yeah that sounds like BS. I've been killed several times without even a chance to turn my head.

CatPee

Mafro said:

Technically, I think he's right. When you select a spot to spawn in, your body appears in-game during that brief black load screen. I've had several instances of shooting an enemy that just spawned on his buddy without doing any damage.

Anyone else think the game doesnt look as good as the Screenshots DICE put up themselves? they almost seem like bullshots since i play on everything max on PC but dont remember it ever looking as good as some of those shots.

momolicious said:
Anyone else think the game doesnt look as good as the Screenshots DICE put up themselves? they almost seem like bullshots since i play on everything max on PC but dont remember it ever looking as good as some of those shots.
examples?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
momolicious said:
Thereis a difference between bullshot and very carefully composed screens to show games in the best possible light.

eek5

Mafro said:

I think hes right. The thing is you spend like half of that invincibility "fading" into the game. So about .75-1s of your invincibility is time that you don't even witness or can't control. That means you have about half a second of invincibility on spawn and he mentioned that the invincibility goes away the moment you move. Most people already have their thumb on the LS as soon as they spawn so you pretty much experience no invincibility at all.

snoopen

momolicious said:
I'm sli'ing 570s with everything maxed and it does look as good as the screenshots. It's breathtaking.

elrechazao said:
examples?

220ujl.jpg

I cant remember the game looks this good.

Anyone else getting freezing issues? Like for a second or two?

Never had this before, but the last few days of playing, here and there the game will freeze as if the PC is struggling with it. I've got a good machine, and it's usually always smooth. But every so often, like in the middle of a firefight, it freezes as if it's loading something major. -_-

Also, how the fuck do I reduce these load times? I'm still getting 2 minute loads for a map, and not so much for another round of it. I've tried the threaded optimisation thing, but no dice.

.nimrod said:
I'm not so sure about that, i played more than 50 hours of the beta and i'm over 97h in the retail version and they really feel a lot different.
They also said some other things (antenna destructable) that turned out to be false :/

I mean, we don't have a way to know for sure, but they've repeated multiple times when asked, that the damage has not been changed at all (except for specific balance reasons, like the UMP) from beta.

Mafro said:

Tallshortman said:
Yeah that sounds like BS. I've been killed several times without even a chance to turn my head.

First, 1.5 seconds isn't that long. Second, the moment you move the mouse or fire, the invuln is removed.

tsigo

Ok seriously, how do I get a Nemesis ribbon? Kill someone 7 times before they kill me once? What's the best mode? Does anyone have a good strategy? I don't know how this thing has eluded me so far.

tsigo said:
Ok seriously, how do I get a Nemesis ribbon? Kill someone 7 times before they kill me once? What's the best mode? Does anyone have a good strategy? I don't know how this thing has eluded me so far.
six, seven, something like that..

Makoto

I'm thinking the explosives allotted across the classes needs some work.

I'd give the Javelin to Assault as a weapon in the Medic Kit slot.
Give C4 back to Recon.
Put AT Mines in the slot with launchers for Engineers.

Support gets no explosives but that wouldn't be an issue as they are the source of ammo for all of the classes anyway.

Spl1nter

belvedere said:
When does the talented gaf crew get on, I get sick of being on teams with camping stat-padders.

Didnt you get pissed off at me on the GAF server for killing people.

The talented gaf crew was on, you were just on the wrong team.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Spl1nter said:
Didnt you get pissed off at me on the GAF server for killing people.

The talented gaf crew was on, you were just on the wrong team.

No, I had a blast, but yes I was on the losing team. Having a mini LAN party here tonight and my two buddies were on the other team camping, so I was talking smack haha.

abuC

Yes!

Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY fixed my resolution problems, it's running in 1080p and looks glorious. I had been playing in 1288x734 since the game came out, no more!

Been reading the BF3 forums alot, and nothing has helped me so far. GAF always seems to have better solutions.

Is there a known working fix for the green flashing at all; or is it something we just have to wait out for DICE to fix?

Thanks

mr_nothin

Banned
Stephen_drewz said:
Been reading the BF3 forums alot, and nothing has helped me so far. GAF always seems to have better solutions.

Is there a known working fix for the green flashing at all; or is it something we just have to wait out for DICE to fix?

Thanks
We're just going to have to wait it out. It's the engine

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Stephen_drewz said:

Thanks

Underclocking seems to help.

Nome

BoobPhysics101 said:
Anyone seen this?

http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Specs ops camo actually decreases heat signatures on IRNV? Niiiice.
Yep, apparently it's a feature. I'd be upset if IRNV wasn't broken.

Also, for those of you good at jets...
Are you using a mouse or stick?
Is flying a jet something you're just good at, or is it something anyone can pick up?
Is it worth learning?

desu

tsigo said:

Kill the same enemy 5 times (you can die in between, doesnt have to be in a row). From there on you will get a nemesis bonus if you kill that enemy. You need 2 nemesis bonus to get a nemesis ribbon. So you can either kill the same enemy 7 times, or 2 different enemies 6 times.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Anyone seen this?

http://imgur.com/a/VbH10

Specs ops camo actually decreases heat signatures on IRNV? Niiiice.

Posted a few times yes, the reason I dont get why they want to nerf IRNV, but I guess I am in a minority with that.

Nome said:

Is flying a jet something you're just good at, or is it something anyone can pick up?
Is it worth learning?

Savage 2 was brilliant, btw.

desu said:
Kill the same enemy 5 times (you can die in between, doesnt have to be in a row). From there on you will get a nemesis bonus if you kill that enemy. You need 2 nemesis bonus to get a nemesis ribbon. So you can either kill the same enemy 7 times, or 2 different enemies 6 times.

Posted a few times yes, the reason I dont get why they want to nerf IRNV, but I guess I am in a minority with that.

IRNV doesn't need a nerf... the damn SCAR-H does though, hah.

Nome said:

Is it worth learning?

I'm getting much better at not getting shot down. I'm using the Xbox 360 controller and changed the layout so that pitch and roll are on the left stick (inverted like it should be; with down is nose up and up is nose down) and yaw on the right stick. With that layout there was no learning curve for me to stay in the air.

Current upgrades with everything unlocked are air radar and rockets. I hate homing missiles.

To shoot down other planes you need to outmaneuver them anyway so locking on seems a bit pointless. Especially since most people use flares anyway. Just try playing with the airbrake and afterburner. You can really make sharp turns when combining them. For ground targets, just keep cheking the air radar and if you have or have not unlocked it, keep scanning for firefights

Finally got BF3 on PC
THANKS GOODNESS It runs better than the beta on my Dual core
I forgot they compressed the leveling in the beta, seems like it's going to be a long grind to get back tho where I was.

elseanio

Nome said:

Is it worth learning?

I was terribly bad at it. Got on a 'flight school' server and, with time, definitely improved. It took me a long while to get flares (unlocked them by crashing into another plane), but try stick with flying until then. Once you get flares it becomes a bit easier to survive longer.

I use the 360 controller to fly, though it's just personal preference.

Ryuuga

Banned
I think we need to make a seperate appreciation thread for mines. I always prefered to be on offense, but because of them I love defending points.

Ryuuga said:
I think we need to make a seperate appreciation thread for mines. I always prefered to be on offense, but because of them I love defending points.

Yeah but mines really only work on noob tankers. A vet will scan for them and garner many explosives ribbons blowing them up.

With homing for chopper gunner unlocked, I'm starting to hate those low flying youtube wannabees. Let me goddamn lock on instead of fleeing like a little rat between the trees!

Gui_PT

Guise, I have a question.

I tried the whole put c4 in your jeep and drive it onto another vehicle to blow it up thing. I get out of the jeep, trigger the c4 but nothing happens.

Wut I do wrong?

JB1981

Very few CQ/rush servers in my region this morning. COD taking all the players

I've been playing TDM very fun. Didn't realize it'd be 12v12

.nimrod

PjotrStroganov said:
With homing for chopper gunner unlocked, I'm starting to hate those low flying youtube wannabees. Let me goddamn lock on instead of fleeing like a little rat between the trees!
The air-to-ground missiles for the gunner aren't very effective, they take too long to get a lock on and expose the helo to AA guns for too long, and a lot of tanks have smoke equipped which make them useless anyway.
Even though the TV missile is sometimes buggy, it is a lot more useful as the gunner.

Gui_PT said:
Guise, I have a question.

I tried the whole put c4 in your jeep and drive it onto another vehicle to blow it up thing. I get out of the jeep, trigger the c4 but nothing happens.

Wut I do wrong?
C4 on jeeps happens to disappear sometimes for me as well, not sure what's causing it.

demolitio

PjotrStroganov said:
Mind you some pilots do that so there's not only more objects to delay AA from locking on, but also due to that permanent specialization where flying low makes you harder to detect and lock on to as if you're flying under radar. My problem with that is you're likely to be taken out by a tank or MG fire if you give them such a large target by being up close.

I hate both pilots who try to show off more than shoot but also gunners who don't do shit. I'm a pretty good pilot and can set the gunner up for some awesome runs, but I get a lot of gunner who refuse to shoot at anything and when they do, they pick some obscure target they'll never hit instead of the most dangerous targets right in front where I'm setting them up to kill. Threat assessment is the most important thing in helos yet not one of my gunner's can understand to go after the big, game-changing targets. I end up just doing my own hellfire strafing runs after I realize the gunner sucks and I end up getting quite a bit of kills anyway but it's only a matter of time until the poor nerfed helos get taken down by one of 1000 things...

"Oh look, an AA vehicle! Nah, I'll shoot at the infantry trying to leave spawn even though they're running out of my angle of attack!"

desu said:

I'm the same, I'm rarely killed by somebody using it. I don't like using it myself. Doesn't seem all that big an issue to me. That's just me though.

Jet spawning on Kharg is fucking retarded. I got in the only one that was there, started to go, then the other one respawns right in front of me. I crash into it, get killed, both jets are blown up. Why would you make it so they spawn in a line like that?

I tried playing as Support today and I can't do it. I feel so vulnerable without the ability to take out vehicles. It's so empowering to be able to take out vehicles with the RPGs/mines that without them I feel like a pussy hiding behind walls and running away from the spotted tanks, rather than towards them. Engineer is definitely the class for me. I'd like to play more to experiment with C4, however.

Also, after playing MW3 a fuckload the last few days, I really appreciate the animation in this game. It's something DICE has done really well with - I went prone when holding a mine earlier and started crawling and the mine moved so naturally as I shuffled along. So cool. It's small details like that which realy add to the experience.

On the other hand, playing MW3 has made me realise how lackluster the gunplay is. Moreso than ever I find myself using equipment and turning to guns as a last resort. I actually don't think that's too much of a bad thing, though, since I'm ultimately getting two different things out of the games.

I've clocked up over 30 hours now. Yikes!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
JB1981 said:
Very few CQ/rush servers in my region this morning. COD taking all the players

I've been playing TDM very fun. Didn't realize it'd be 12v12

What platform and server you on? I'm playing on PS3 and Asian servers are almost always full.

Kinda surprised me a bit that a lot of people on my friends list are playing BF3 compared to MW3. Some are playing Skyrim or Uncharted but the MW3, BF3 seems more prevalent. Then again, these people most likely are used to BC2 and that's why they're playing BF3.

Close to logging 100 hours into the game now. You unlock tags for the 5 Colonel Service Star, the 10, and so on.

Hope the VOIP gets patched in soon. That, and the bugs are what irks me. Otherwise, the game is good. I don't feel cheated or anything's unbalanced to be honest. I do hope we get more maps soon though, getting bored with only 9 maps so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom