• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arnie said:
Personally, playing MW3 made me appreciate the gunplay of BF3 even more. The weight and power when you pull the trigger, combined with the reactions in the environment and how your enemies fall from your shots.

This. I havne't played MW3, but compared to BF3, COD feels very "gamey" and not like you're handling a weapon. I like it more than COD--couldn't say that about BC2, by a long shot.

Megasoum

Banned
CITV + Guided Shells combo is amazing!

My friend playing in the CITV seat made a video of one of our game we played last night. I was in the LMG gunner seat and my other friend was on the main gun. Second and third seats won't give you a ton of points (I was mostly getting my points from the repairs) but wow! We were pretty much controlling the whole map for the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEDB4nPnWa4

I gave this one more go before I'm lost to Halo and Assassin's Creed for a while and lo and behold (though I'm sure I tried it before) disabling my router UPNP has let me play for hours without a disconnect. So so nice.

Megasoum said:

My friend playing in the CITV seat made a video of one of our game we played last night. I was in the LMG gunner seat and my other friend was on the main gun. Second and third seats won't give you a ton of points (I was mostly getting my points from the repairs) but wow! We were pretty much controlling the whole map for the whole game.

fuck yes so good

elseanio

tsigo said:
The last mission has an area that has an infinite spawn until you move up far enough. Hardly an exploit.

Nope, gonna spoiler since its the last mission:

Running to the nuke, activating the QTE and purposely letting it explode kills all the remaining enemies at once. You get around 4800XP each run (on easy mode). Took me and a friend around 3 hours.

Gui_PT

elseanio said:
Nope, gonna spoiler since its the last mission:

Running to the nuke, activating it and letting it explode kills all the remaining enemies at once. You get around 4800XP each run (on easy mode). Took me and a friend around 3 hours.

Yeah that's a great way to go at it and surprisingly doesn't get too annoying.

rvy

Banned
There's so much potential for a great SP campaign here, completely butchered by uninspired QTEs, short missions and wasted potential with jets. Not to mention the lack of driving sections except for a tank.

Anton Sugar said:
This. I havne't played MW3, but compared to BF3, COD feels very "gamey" and not like you're handling a weapon. I like it more than COD--couldn't say that about BC2, by a long shot.
That gamey feel is more satisfying though I think. If I wanted to handle a real weapon I'd move to America! ;)

I'll probably hop in the GAF server in a bit if people are playing.

Edit: Empty at the mo :(

Does anyone have images of the later dog tags like Jet/Heli Service Star 5/10/etc?

I'm interested in what they look like but can't find any pics of those advanced ones.

rvy said:
There's so much potential for a great SP campaign here, completely butchered by uninspired QTEs, short missions and wasted potential with jets. Not to mention the lack of driving sections except for a tank.

SP games in modern FPS are basically throw away modes. I don't know why they waste their time or money on them.

Foliorum Viridum said:
That gamey feel is more satisfying though I think. If I wanted to handle a real weapon I'd move to America! ;)

I'll probably hop in the GAF server in a bit if people are playing.

Edit: Empty at the mo :(

I see what you're saying, but the atmosphere of a game is a huge deal to me. COD doesn't even really look or feel like a modern military shooter anymore, it's become this sort of hybrid, and the gunplay fits it really well, but I like the grounded feel of BF3.

And not grounded as in sluggish, compared to BC2, mind you.

The "grounded" aspects of BF3 I like, as I said in that other post, are the animations etc. It really goes a long way to make it feel like you're a real person on a battlefield.

BF3 animation + COD gunplay = heaven.

CatPee

Foliorum Viridum said:
The "grounded" aspects of BF3 I like, as I said in that other post, are the animations etc. It really goes a long way to make it feel like you're a real person on a battlefield.

BF3 animation + CoD gunplay = BF3 gunplay with no recoil?

I mean, the biggest differences to me between the gunplay of the two games are the recoil and the animations, and that's about it, really. Otherwise, both feel relatively similar purely in terms of the aiming.

rvy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
SP games in modern FPS are basically throw away modes. I don't know why they waste their time or money on them.
MW and MW 2 are fairly decent, the major problems being that the SP is short and there's no replay value aside from Achievement hunting/Trophy hunting.
You finish them once and you've seen everything you can possibly see. Set-pieces are only good the first time around.

It's a sad age we live in for SP in FPS.

CatPee said:
BF3 animation + CoD gunplay = BF3 gunplay with no recoil?

I mean, the biggest differences to me between the gunplay of the two games are the recoil and the animations, and that's about it, really. Otherwise, both feel relatively similar purely in terms of the aiming.
It's more than just recoil. CS has lots of recoil but it feels much better than BF. I can't place my finger what feels off in BF, but something does.

Also, I'm on a 1000 ticket server and it's awesome. It's not something I'll want to do all the time, but man, it's intenseee.

CatPee

elrechazao said:
So, what am I supposed to do with the little engineer robot? I've never even used it because I don't know wtf to even try to do with it...

Arm/defuse the M-COM, repair/damage tanks, and kill people with the repair tool on it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's more than just recoil. CS has lots of recoil but it feels much better than BF. I can't place my finger what feels off in BF, but something does.

Also, I'm on a 1000 ticket server and it's awesome. It's not something I'll want to do all the time, but man, it's intenseee.
... as proven by the next map being Demavand. 1000 tickets there? No thanks.

It was great on Caspian, though.

Gui_PT

Mr Sandman said:
Depends. As a back up/building storming weapon to compliment a medium or long ranged weapon (sniper) it's great with its high DPS. Don't use it against medium distant enemies even in single fire mode, though.

Thanks!

OldJadedGamer said:
You mean that game I play online coop with my friends?

I guess so. It's a good campaign but no example of what other FPS's should do with their campaigns.

Megasoum said:

Explain to me what am I looking at here ? I can't understand shit

blahness

UnluckyKate said:
Explain to me what am I looking at here ? I can't understand shit

Third seat in the tank that is designating vehicle targets (like a SOFLAM) for the main seat tank driver to use guided missiles on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CatPee said:
It's a lot harder to see a tiny knee-high bot than a soldier. And, as already mentioned, it's a free life.

Except it drives like ass and clips at times. I haven't bothered with it after trying it for five minutes. Arming the crate and repairing for myself is easier and while I may die, I probably deserved it for being seen.

hteng

Banned
DTKT said:
The shotgun lose power after 3 meters. They are pretty terrible.

not when you are using frag rounds, even if you don't get a clean hit, the explosion can still kill someone behind cover.

use the IRNV to spot people easier. Recons go wtf when they get killed behind cover lol.

Nabs

hteng said:
not when you are using frag rounds, even if you don't get a clean hit, the explosion can still kill someone behind cover.

use the IRNV to spot people easier. Recons go wtf when they get killed behind cover lol.

Yep.

GuessWho said:
i'm still on beta drivers. How are the new nvidia drivers? Do they solve anything in particular?
Well, I upgraded from the beta drivers a few days ago, and they actually caused all of the issues I had been reading about prior, green flashes, disconnects, etc. I reverted today and it's all good again.

CatPee

TheSeks said:
Except it drives like ass and clips at times. I haven't bothered with it after trying it for five minutes. Arming the crate and repairing for myself is easier and while I may die, I probably deserved it for being seen.

To effectively control that thing, either drive or steer, and never do both at the same time. I don't have too many problems with it and have pulled off a few sneak arms to help push the team forward during near-losses.

Sax Russel said:
Got called a hacker flying a jet. Feels good man.

I got called a cheap-ass scrub for destroying some guy's tank twice and killing him with the jet's godly MG. Join the club.

Xcellere

Binabik15 said:
More than 40k points too go :( With choppers getting better and better, engis exchanging repair tools for mines and rockets, rockets, flying everwhere, my last couple of tanks have been really shortlived. And the tank shells are not good enough against infantry.

I guess I can just drive around low player Conquest Large maps and get tons of flag captures.

Again.

Can you lase your own targets with seat switching?

I'm a pretty good tanker, and on Caspian 64, I can decimate any engineer I come across w/ canister shells and the maingun.

GuessWho said:
i'm still on beta drivers. How are the new nvidia drivers? Do they solve anything in particular?
gtx 580
i7 2600k

newest drivers are ass (285.79)
im getting 5-10 less fps and im getting more freezing and lock ups.

Makoto

Salacious Crumb said:
It pains me to see so many 64p 24/7 Metro CQ servers. People are more interested in stat padding than having fun it seems.
It's hard to blame them with this shitty unlock system.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ice Raven said:
gtx 580
i7 2600k

newest drivers are ass (285.79)
im getting 5-10 less fps and im getting more freezing and lock ups.
Gtx 570 (OC'd 880mhz @ Core | Memory @ 2400mhz) & Phenom X4 955 (OC'd to 4.3ghz)
About 10-15 more fps and less crashes and no stuttering at all.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Foliorum Viridum said:

LOL

You're fucking kidding me, right? The gunplay in BF3 FAR surpasses that of any Call of Duty game. Please don't request something so ridiculous ever again.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Got a few non-FPS friends to try Battlefield 3. They're a bit lost and I can only do so much over the mic on how I can teach them.

Anyone know a good video that goes over the basics? I know of Pixel Enemy's "Hot not to be a noob in BC2" but is there another one that's more on BF3?

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Binabik15

hteng said:

Unlock shit to use weapons to decent effect. Awesome. Now you only need 40/50 kills against SCAR, LMG and F2000 wielding guys that can kill you in a split second. Great ;)

Eclipsis said:
I'm a pretty good tanker, and on Caspian 64, I can decimate any engineer I come across w/ canister shells and the maingun.

Great, but I´m two or three thousand points away from the canister. Yay.

The Faceless Master said:
maybe they have fun in the madness?

Getting 25 M320 kills in a single round, several double/tripples, unlocking smoke and stuff AND getting several revive ribbons in one round? As well as shooting down two annoying MAVs? Yes, that game was stpuid fun. As Americans it´s more like getting kicked in the teeth again and again, but even then it´s super intense to see some guys break through and sneak to the Cafe flag and maybe even cap it, sandwiching most of the enemy team between your waves. It´s not like they want to spawn in their deployment and miss the fun in the subway.

17 ribbons in one game, but I can´t remember which, the game doesn´t show up in my stats page.

commedieu

Banned
One thing that severely sucks about BF3.

Its obvious as day when you are tired and should no longer play... christ, i've just ran into bullets for the past hour.

Amazing game though, played all weekend.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
commedieu said:
One thing that severely sucks about BF3.

Its obvious as day when you are tired and should no longer play... christ, i've just ran into bullets for the past hour.

Amazing game though, played all weekend.

As someone who's 2 hours short of playing the game for 100 total hours, I can attest to this. I think I played it last night for a good 6-8 hours. Damn if this game isn't fun. I just want Battlecorder, more maps, more unlockables, bug fixes and then I'm set!

Arnie

Don't understand the hate for maps like Metro and Seine. I love to switch it up a bit and go from Conquest on Firestorm to Rush on Metro. Some people are just very stuck in their ways, it's Conquest on large maps or bust. I'm personally glad DICE didn't go about designing maps like many of GAF would've liked, there's only so much base running on large maps I can do before I want some tight, urban, infantry combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom