• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salacious Crumb said:
It pains me to see so many 64p 24/7 Metro CQ servers. People are more interested in stat padding than having fun it seems.

Ever had the thought that people do, in fact, find that fun? Reminds me of when Black Ops came out last year and everybody on the internet complained about people voting for Nuke Town over and over and over. To hear everybody on the internet, it was the shittiest map ever and the people voting for it were just trolling. God forbid you find out that maybe you're part of the minority who doesn't like it and everybody else does.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Arnie said:
Don't understand the hate for maps like Metro and Seine. I love to switch it up a bit and go from Conquest on Firestorm to Rush on Metro. Some people are just very stuck in their ways, it's Conquest on large maps or bust. I'm personally glad DICE didn't go about designing maps like many of GAF would've liked, there's only so much base running on large maps I can do before I want some tight, urban, infantry combat.

Agreed. While I consider Caspian and Kharg to be the best maps in the game, I still love Metro and Grand Bazaar. I get where the hate is coming from, but it's more to do with squads /team being asshats with not supplying ammo, meds and not flanking when an area is very congested. Seems like some people just want to get more kills as opoosed to winning.

Personally, I'd want more maps but the ones we have are good enough.

For Metro, always go for B first, Grand Bazaar, too. For Seine I normally go after A,B or C,B and tend to not go for D as that area is a death-sentence waiting to happen.

I'm really liking BF3's gunplay. I know some people prefer CoD's gunplay, but what we have now is very good in comparison to BC2 and its bullet sponge people.

Man it really becomes apparent how a big part of the fun in this game you derive out of playing with friends. The group of regulars I play with somehow survived the release of Modern Warfare 3 last week with only one of us playing its multiplayer (and he would switch back to Battlefield anytime we were playing), but damn Skyrim did a number on us. The last time I played was on Friday night (when we went on a 13 win streak getting Ace Squad every time), but after that everyone else was too busy fighting dragons to hop in.

I am hoping people will soon come wandering back because I find it hard to hop back in solo, especially since I hit 45 last week.

MrOogieBoogie said:
LOL

You're fucking kidding me, right? The gunplay in BF3 FAR surpasses that of any Call of Duty game. Please don't request something so ridiculous ever again.
I sense a closet CoD fan in you. It's okay, baby, you can admit it. You're getting way too worked up over an opinion, bro.

I've decided tonight I will play as Support and use C4 exclusively. If you see me running towards you in a tank, be afraid. I will figure out some good tactics tonight!

Evil Benius said:
Man it really becomes apparent how a big part of the fun in this game you derive out of playing with friends. The group of regulars I play with somehow survived the release of Modern Warfare 3 last week with only one of us playing its multiplayer (and he would switch back to Battlefield anytime we were playing), but damn Skyrim did a number on us. The last time I played was on Friday night (when we went on a 13 win streak getting Ace Squad every time), but after that everyone else was too busy fighting dragons to hop in.

I am hoping people will soon come wandering back because I find it hard to hop back in solo, especially since I hit 45 last week.

I kinda like playing it solo just as much as in a good squad on the GAF server. Creeping through the bushes, planting mines, etc etc. I feel like a one man army at times and it's great. I find that I often have more success capping a point by myself than when I'm with a squad, too, and I don't know why that is.

excaliburps said:
Agreed. While I consider Caspian and Kharg to be the best maps in the game, I still love Metro and Grand Bazaar. I get where the hate is coming from, but it's more to do with squads /team being asshats with not supplying ammo, meds and not flanking when an area is very congested. Seems like some people just want to get more kills as opoosed to winning.

Personally, I'd want more maps but the ones we have are good enough.

For Metro, always go for B first, Grand Bazaar, too. For Seine I normally go after A,B or C,B and tend to not go for D as that area is a death-sentence waiting to happen.

I'm really liking BF3's gunplay. I know some people prefer CoD's gunplay, but what we have now is very good in comparison to BC2 and its bullet sponge people.

MW3 gunplay has been dumbed down too much, guns are way to easy to handle. Great for the people who enjoy instant gratification, but it isn't really rewarding for others. The gunplay is really smooth in BF3, almost as smooth as CoD, which is a feat considering it runs at half the frames, and is on par wit the CoD series.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Salacious Crumb said:
It pains me to see so many 64p 24/7 Metro CQ servers. People are more interested in stat padding than having fun it seems.

If you dont care about stats then you wont care about people stat padding.

Also, ive played on these Metro 24/7 servers and i have a hell of a lot of fun....my squad is actually more interested in getting all the Points rather than camping at choke points.

Its the most challenging/rewarding thing ive experienced in Battlefield 3 so far.
One of each class....the Recon rushes past the choke point (covered by the rest of the squad) once behind enemy lines he sets up a Spawn Point....the rest of the squad spawn on it.....capture the point A or C depending on which side we are on...then have some fun with the enemy team...it usually takes them a good 20 - 30 kills before they realize they are getting killed from behind.
The smart ones retreat to capture the point...we defend it with our lives.

Regardless of which side we are on, we have constantly managed to capture the opposite point and we have a lot of fun doing it, because it really feels like a warzone...guns, explosions everywhere..smoke...its glorious.

Im actually gonna record a good match later in the week just to show how awesome BF3 is .

Seine is so awesome. I just did a 1000 ticket game on it and man, it was fucking intense.

At first we were being raped, but we started to slowly push forward and with the support of a good tank driver we managed to take the bridge. From there we got the courtyard and were holding 4 of the 5 caps. The streets were absolutely full of bullets, so the only option was to go through the buildings on the side. Rockets were flying, debris was all around, I had so many great "OH SHIT" firefights in the tight staircases.

It was 4-1 for the majority of the game, but they held that cap so well and it was so intense fighting through those buildings that it was probably one of my favourite BF3 matches yet.

I don't get the hate for the map. Soooo good.

Edit: Battle reports not working at the mo? I wanted to see my stats for that game because I was typing this post in the post-game screen! Haha.

High-ticket servers really are the way that CQ is meant to be played, IMO. The high ticket count brings out a lot more "Battlefield Moment" situations, as I think the high count gives you a bit more relaxation with your play style and toying around--while there is a desire to win, when each side has hundreds of tickets left, you don't feel so REQUIRED to play a certain role to win.

Zeppelin

Foliorum Viridum said:
Seine is so awesome. I just did a 1000 ticket game on it and man, it was fucking intense.

At first we were being raped, but we started to slowly push forward and with the support of a good tank driver we managed to take the bridge. From there we got the courtyard and were holding 4 of the 5 caps. The streets were absolutely full of bullets, so the only option was to go through the buildings on the side. Rockets were flying, debris was all around, I had so many great "OH SHIT" firefights in the tight staircases.

It was 4-1 for the majority of the game, but they held that cap so well and it was so intense fighting through those buildings that it was probably one of my favourite BF3 matches yet.

Edit: Battle reports not working at the mo? I wanted to see my stats for that game because I was typing this post in the post-game screen! Haha.

Yeah, Seine has grown on me a lot in the last couple of days. Mainly because I've started utilizing the buildings a lot more. I only wish they were a bit more connected at times.

Arucardo

Only gave it a quick go during the weekend with the new nvidia beta drivers but it made things worse for me (560Ti), fps was slightly worse and had tons of that green flicker.

Man, Laser guided missiles are starting to really irk me now.

Failure rate where there's an impact but no damage reported is approaching 33%. For both lazed and traditional locks.

I hope this gets fixed. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Foliorum Viridum said:

A->C is terrible terrible attack unless attempting to flank and even then that hallway is a choke point.

B->D, similar. Long hallway that's a chokepoint.

Buildings aren't connected. This is even more apparent in the Rush variant of the map because you could go into a building thinking you'll go around and be in "cover"/sniping position to hold a crate but NO there is no way over there other than attempting to get into a door and hope the enemy isn't there already.

Low skybox window so MAV is useless for the most part except flying into/out of buildings.

It's a bad map.

TheSeks said:
A->C is terrible terrible attack unless attempting to flank and even then that hallway is a choke point.

Buildings aren't connected. This is even more apparent in the Rush variant of the map because you could go into a building thinking you'll go around and be in "cover"/sniping position to hold a crate but NO there is no way over there other than attempting to get into a door and hope the enemy isn't there already.

Low skybox window so MAV is useless for the most part except flying into/out of buildings.

It's a bad map.
i heard the buildings don't even have rooftops and that's why the MAV flies so low.

PatzCU

Foliorum Viridum said:

I witnessed a short, incredibly hilarious Battlefield on Siene the other day. A tank rolled up into C to try and take it, the driver realized he was in over his head and started to back out. He ended up backing out at an angle and went right through the stone guard of the bridge and into the river, amazing!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheSeks said:

It's a bad map.
I think Seine 64 with 32-48 players would be the best way to play Conquest on that map. There's less traffic on the West bridge which allows for flanking opportunities.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Seine is my favorite infantry-based map. Fuck the haters.

It's easily provided me with some of the most "Holy shit!" moments of any map. Who doesn't love the insanity of 64-player Conquest on this map? Bullets and rockets and grenades going off all over the place, but not in a really annoying way like Operation Métro or Damavand Peak.

PatzCU said:
I witnessed a short, incredibly hilarious Battlefield on Siene the other day. A tank rolled up into C to try and take it, the driver realized he was in over his head and started to back out. He ended up backing out at an angle and went right through the stone guard of the bridge and into the river, amazing!
Haha beautiful. The river is the best parrt of the map.

iam220

Unlocked the PKP Pecheneg and I'm loving it. The vertical recoil though is a bit heavy, so much so that I've opted for the grip instead of the bipod. If the LMGs are overpowered in this game, it's not because of their accuracy or damage but because of the suppression effect. I can pretty much just spray and pray without having to worry about accuracy so much, the guy will have a hard time returning fire as his screen will be a blurry mess. Thats actually my prevailing strategy, if I see an enemy and I have an LMG, shoot first THAN aim.

Also looking at the damage charts, I think they might be wrong, it feels like you need to put more than 3 bullets up close to kill someone with a PKP and definitely more than 4 at range.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
MrOogieBoogie said:
Seine is my favorite infantry-based map. Fuck the haters.

It's easily provided me with some of the most "Holy shit!" moments of any map. Who doesn't love the insanity of 64-player Conquest on this map? Bullets and rockets and grenades going off all over the place, but not in a really annoying way like Operation Métro or Damavand Peak.

I love flying the MAV to the other side and basically hacking the map for your team. I see the doritos disappear and I smile. Recon's MAV is your friend! Last night I was hiding behind a crate on Kharg I knew my squad was surrounded, so I flew a quick MAV and scouted the entire area in a few secs and even bothered a sniper. We managed to clear them out...Good times with my Shotgun!

Evil Benius said:

Same here, I lost way more BF3 friends to Skyrim than I did to MW3. And with Halo CE tomorrow I'm going to have to take a break from BF3 to do some serious online CoOP with some friends.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Holy crap! I now have played 103 hours plus of BF3! I also checked the medals history and found out that I severely lack others while I managed to get a few of 'em multiple times.

Case in point, Flag Attacker, Combat Efficiency, etc. I managed to get 2-4 times for medals, but for melee and surveillance, I'm not even one fourth there. :(

Same with Squad TDM, TDM, etc. How on earth will I get those if I don't play 'em? Most of the people I play with abhor those modes so I need to go all commando on it.

Anyhoo, anyone know a good tutorial vid for BF3? Newbie player friends of mine need it. I showed him the "How not to be a noob in BC2" vid but I need something more up to date. :)

Also, I managed to play a round in Damavand CQ where I went 30-4 and got 52 ribbons in a single game! Holy hell! =D My e-penis got hard after seeing that.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
OldJadedGamer said:
Same here, I lost way more BF3 friends to Skyrim than I did to MW3. And with Halo CE tomorrow I'm going to have to take a break from BF3 to do some serious online CoOP with some friends.

I used to think my friends list was an anomaly, but now I see that it's not.

I was a bit worried that MW3 would eat up all of Bf3's players, but I'm glad to say that wasn't the case. Out of the 12 people online in my friends list, 4 were playing BF3, 2 for Skyrim, 1 for Uncharted, 1 for NBA 2k12 and only 2 were playing MW3. The max I've seen playing MW3 was like 6 or something.

It wasn't the same as when Black Ops came out and everyone on my friends list was playing that.

Which reminds me, I need to get Skyrim! So many games, but so little time!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
excaliburps said:
Holy crap! I now have played 103 hours plus of BF3! I also checked the medals history and found out that I severely lack others while I managed to get a few of 'em multiple times.

Case in point, Flag Attacker, Combat Efficiency, etc. I managed to get 2-4 times for medals, but for melee and surveillance, I'm not even one fourth there. :(

Same with Squad TDM, TDM, etc. How on earth will I get those if I don't play 'em? Most of the people I play with abhor those modes so I need to go all commando on it.

Anyhoo, anyone know a good tutorial vid for BF3? Newbie player friends of mine need it. I showed him the "How not to be a noob in BC2" vid but I need something more up to date. :)

Also, I managed to play a round in Damavand CQ where I went 30-4 and got 52 ribbons in a single game! Holy hell! =D My e-penis got hard after seeing that.

Once you get the MAV the surveillance medal is extremely easy to get. Just fly up and press Q over enemy forces.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Doc Holliday said:
Once you get the MAV the surveillance medal is extremely easy to get. Just fly up and press Q over enemy forces.

I already do that from time to time but when I do, we end up losing or no one gives a crap who I spotted. :(

Man, I agree with whoever said earlier that the rocket pods on the jets are underated - I got all my early unlocks by using the A10 and Frogfoot in Rush because they're so much easier to score points with but now I'm getting used to the rocket pods I'm finding myself easily being able to at least disable a vehicle on each pass. I think it's easy to fall into the habit of constantly dog fighting but man, that gets boring and it's also useless. It's easy for the battle in the sky to just be totally divorced from what's going on on the ground. I rarely even bother trying to attack other air craft now (especially since I don't have homing missiles equipped) and just go about my business. I don't find I die much quicker than if i'm going out of my way to try and shake them off or attack them back.

Also, the other day the 'you're getting knifed' animation began. I got spun round, I see the knifer pulling his knife out and I was waiting to get stabbed when he got shot by one of my team mates, mid-animation. I'd never been so greatful in my life, especially because the animation kicking in actually does shake me somewhat.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kaltagesta said:
Man, I agree with whoever said earlier that the rocket pods on the jets are underated - I got all my early unlocks by using the A10 and Frogfoot in Rush because they're so much easier to score points with but now I'm getting used to the rocket pods I'm finding myself easily being able to at least disable a vehicle on each pass. I think it's easy to fall into the habit of constantly dog fighting but man, that gets boring and it's also useless. It's easy for the battle in the sky to just be totally divorced from what's going on on the ground. I rarely even bother trying to attack other air craft now (especially since I don't have homing missiles equipped) and just go about my business. I don't find I die much quicker than if i'm going out of my way to try and shake them off or attack them back.

Also, the other day the 'you're getting knifed' animation began. I got spun round, I see the knifer pulling his knife out and I was waiting to get stabbed when he got shot by one of my team mates, mid-animation. I'd never been so greatful in my life, especially because the animation kicking in actually does shake me somewhat.
I'll try the pods. Dogfighting is usually a crappy way to get points unless you're godlike with the cannon.

Knifing is pretty brutal on both ends. Kudos to DICE for that, I guess. Unless they did research by knifing homeless Swedes or something. They go too far for authenticity sometimes.

Megasoum said:
CITV + Guided Shells combo is amazing!

My friend playing in the CITV seat made a video of one of our game we played last night. I was in the LMG gunner seat and my other friend was on the main gun. Second and third seats won't give you a ton of points (I was mostly getting my points from the repairs) but wow! We were pretty much controlling the whole map for the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEDB4nPnWa4
His aiming isn't that good though.

SapientWolf said:
I'll try the pods. Dogfighting is usually a crappy way to get points unless you're godlike with the cannon.

Knifing is pretty brutal on both ends. Kudos to DICE for that, I guess. Unless they did research by knifing homeless Swedes or something. They go too far for authenticity sometimes.

Air radar and rocket pods is all I use and I have unlocked every jet perk. It still seems like people just don't expect an effective jet attack on a tank. It can be super useful to finish a battle between armor.

excaliburps said:
I used to think my friends list was an anomaly, but now I see that it's not.

I was a bit worried that MW3 would eat up all of Bf3's players, but I'm glad to say that wasn't the case. Out of the 12 people online in my friends list, 4 were playing BF3, 2 for Skyrim, 1 for Uncharted, 1 for NBA 2k12 and only 2 were playing MW3. The max I've seen playing MW3 was like 6 or something.

It wasn't the same as when Black Ops came out and everyone on my friends list was playing that.

Which reminds me, I need to get Skyrim! So many games, but so little time!

Some are just stuck playing what they know. A few of my friends had to be dragged kicking and screaming from Halo 3. But since MW3 came out, I feel the quality of play has increased in BF3.

CoolS

Finally my time to play this has come. I love it! Even when I spawn on a squad member and he just kills me!

No but seriously, I've been playing Support so far and I love it. the M249 is nice, are the later unlockable weapons for support even better? And I think there's nothing more thrilling than seeing an armored enemy vehicle, sprinting up to it, planting three c4 on it and getting the fuck out of there while pushing the trigger. It's so rewarding seeing all those points come in afterwards :) Only problem was, learning how to do that right resulted in a LOT of suicides ^^

I might be in the minority, but I also really enjoyed the SP. Could be because the last FPS besides HL2 I played in SP was CoD2..

mcp

Neo Member
Does anyone have any thoughts on Flares VS Extinguisher on jets? I've recently been using the extinguisher and I like that I have a chance to recover if someone gets a good gun hit on me. However I find that I'm getting hit much more often by missiles and seem to be constantly having to jink to try and evade them. Which is probably making me less effective on the blowing stuff up side of things.

Before if I was right on someones tail and I was being locked up I would stick it out and usually kill them being confident the flares would give me time. With the extinguisher I have to break off or find myself on fire. Which I can put out, but they enemy gets away.

Or am I just doing it wrong ;)

RotBot

Is there any point in using the T-UGS when the MAV has the same proximity sensor but with better range? It's the only unlock in BF3 that is completely superseded by a later unlock.

Played a bit on PC last night. I've only played 3 hours or so on there compared to 41 on the 360. It's crazy how the extra few flags on the map really make the game feel more complete. A few extra areas to have fights in makes it that much better. And the larger player count obviously.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Blitzzz said:
need some pro tips on jets.... how do you make any points up to flares if you get locked on non stop??
Find a ground vehicle and put cannon fire on them until they're disabled/destroyed. If you survive then that's just a bonus.

RotBot

mcp said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Flares VS Extinguisher on jets? I've recently been using the extinguisher and I like that I have a chance to recover if someone gets a good gun hit on me. However I find that I'm getting hit much more often by missiles and seem to be constantly having to jink to try and evade them. Which is probably making me less effective on the blowing stuff up side of things.

Before if I was right on someones tail and I was being locked up I would stick it out and usually kill them being confident the flares would give me time. With the extinguisher I have to break off or find myself on fire. Which I can put out, but they enemy gets away.

Or am I just doing it wrong ;)
I stopped using Extinguisher after I kept getting sniped out of the cockpit by missiles. It usually happens when I'm trying to evade with full afterburners. I think the game update rate can't handle the speed and the hit detection occurs in the front instead of the rear.

Kaltagesta said:

This is awesome lol, the being stabbed animation is very jarring.

Makoto

Was capping a point in a tank on Conquest and had someone on the opposing team spawn right in front me. Blew him away of course and it was hilarious. DICE has become such frauds since BF2. This spawn system is awful.

artist

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

Seine is awesome if that take mortar out of that map. Once I joined a game (1000 ticket, probably same server?) where there were about 5-10 mortars on both sides and were just spamming all over the place.

Seine is definitely one of my fav maps as I know it inside out quite well. And holding "D" on it is my fav part of it as it can be done in soooo many different ways. And a fucking tank cant get in there, haha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom