• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
yeah, i say remove it from the first set since from the second set on, attackers can spawn on dry land and deal with it there.

i never get the complaints about Mortar spammers... mortar spam = free kills for counter mortars.
No offense but I just can't take your opinions about these complaints seriously. Not to sound like a douche but it IS because you're playing on consoles. There's such a huge difference in the way 16/24 player servers play out versus how 48/64 player servers play out....and I DO play everything from 16 to 64 player games.

I swear I've rarely experienced being killed by some guy clipping through an object. And even when it does happen, I'm still able to see them and get a few hits on them most of the time.

No offense but I just can't take your opinions about these complaints seriously. Not to sound like a douche but it IS because you're playing on consoles. There's such a huge difference in the way 16/24 player servers play out versus how 48/64 player servers play out....and I DO play everything from 16 to 64 player games.

I swear I've rarely experienced being killed by some guy clipping through an object. And even when it does happen, I'm still able to see them and get a few hits on them most of the time.

I'll have to agree with you on that, I've almost never (maybe 1 in 10 games) been killed by a clipping player. Plus, they are such easy, stationary targets.

Soma

I've killed more 'clipping' guys whose legs were sticking out through a wall, than they've killed me, but yea, clipping should be fixed.

But it is fun to unload a clip into a foot sticking out of a concrete wall.

this happened to me last night! :D

still got the MCOM destroyed though

fuckyeah.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Agreed. I wonder if DICE removing prone from the console versions would be met with praise or an uproar.

Literally false. Magnum ammo is one of the dumbest ideas ever to grace a Battlefield game.
It was indeed a dumb design choice, but it didn't really have any effect on gameplay because most people took it anyway (i.e. it cancelled out). It left people with one perk slot left… which is all that you have in BF3 anyway.

Yeah, Conquest was great in BC2!
I never bothered with it. I switched to Rush in BFBC2 for the most part and have never looked back. I honestly enjoy it much more than the Conquest modes of both 1942 and 2; it requires a shitload more teamwork, so if you don't play with a regular group of friends who are all mic'd up then you can be in a world of pain, but if you do play that way then nothing comes close to matching it. The only time I tend to play Conquest these days is if I want a bit of a respite or if I'm playing solo.

I get that, but my point is: It broke the perk system. Everyone used it and none of the other slot-2s. If you didn't use it, you put yourself at a disadvantage. That's my point: It was stupid because it broke the balance and never should've been in the game in the first place.

Most of the other perks were fine, but buffing/nerfing damage perks should never be in a FPS.
Personally I only used Magnum with Assault and Recon; with Engineer I always used extra explosive damage, and with Medic I tended to favour Body Armour or extra healing range depending on whether I was attacking or defending respectively. Given how prevalent MA was I guess it did make slot 2 a bit of a dud, but that wasn't really a massive loss from a gameplay point of view (it's not like the other perks in that slot suddenly would have made the game much different or more enjoyable).

Magnum ammo is literally a damage buff that will always give you a significant advantage in any firefight and it was unlocked at LEVEL 15 which required about 10 hours of game time at least. Nothing in BF3 approaches that level of nonsense.
I would argue that flares as an unlock more than surpasses it! As I said I never used Magnum Ammo with the Engineer class and yet it was the class where I had my best KDR, so you certainly didn't need Magnum Ammo to be competitive right off the bat. The biggest problem with BFBC2 was that choppers were way OP; most of the other issues (quickscoping, knifing, etc.) were fairly minimal in comparison. MA was a silly design choice but it didn't really have much of an effect beyond people not using the other slot 2 perks (which borders on irrelevance). I know Seks will complain about extra healing range and "PROPER MEDICS!!!!!!" but that was a player choice the same as anything else: if you chose to be a better medic then you were less effective in combat, and vice versa.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I would argue that flares as an unlock more than surpasses it! As I said I never used Magnum Ammo with the Engineer class and yet it was the class where I had my best KDR, so you certainly didn't need Magnum Ammo to be competitive right off the bat. The biggest problem with BFBC2 was that choppers were way OP; most of the other issues (quickscoping, knifing, etc.) were fairly minimal in comparison. MA was a silly design choice but it didn't really have much of an effect beyond people not using the other slot 2 perks (which borders on irrelevance). I know Seks will complain about extra healing range and "PROPER MEDICS!!!!!!" but that was a player choice the same as anything else: if you chose to be a better medic then you were less effective in combat, and vice versa.

Except I'm being penalized for not taking MA, which is my main bitching point and the point many others make: You are literally choosing to be on even terms of with the enemy. Which is fucking stupid when it comes to FPS balance design. Demize (thank god) agreed, hence why there is no "Magnum Ammo/armor" buff/nerf to damage in BF3. It was stupid all around.

Stuff like better range doesn't break the game because it makes the kit items slightly more useful. But messing with base damage is a no-no, you don't do that. And that's why stuff like that is gone in BF3 and I thank DICE for being sensible. Now, if you take a grenade launcher over the medikit you're generally using it in situations (or trolling) but still somewhat contributing to the team in comparison to taking damage buffs to be a faster killing machine while having a smaller range of healing and throwing those packs out in the open where they can't be used from cover in comparison to range increases.

Mafro

I don't have a problem with prone at all. It's ridiculous shit like prone torsos sticking out of walls that needs to be fixed. I was prone in one of the guard towers in Kharg Island and got killed by someone shooting part of my body which had obviously clipped through the floor below. Totally unfair.

i hardly used magnum ammo and never felt penalized.

so, let me get this straight.. you can't take my opinions seriously because i'm playing the console version and there's a huge difference in the way games play out with different amounts of players on a server but aren't trying to sound like a douche?

do you even know what you're saying??!?! i doubt anyone else can make sense of that.

TheSeks

I never used it until I started to get tired of deaths by it. You can kill reasonably well without it, but why would you? Everyone else is using it. You might as well be on even ground, even if that even ground is a bullet more/less than you.

ElyrionX

Wait. I've stopped playing since Skyrim came out but what's this about magnum ammo? I've never seen it while playing it. Is it a player perk or a gun attachment?

chessnut

I posted this in the pc thread but I figured it would be more relevant here. I bought and installed this game today. When I try to connect to an online server, it just stays on 'connecting'. When I maximize the game, it says loading with a black screen and never changes. Anyone have a fix?

TheSeks

Man, everyone on PS3 level 40 up is using Spec Ops + IRNV. DICE really should've thought this through. :lol What they get for "playing like gentlemen" instead of actually BALANCING SHIT.

TheSeks

Come join the +40 club, its nice up here =P

Oh, I got Spec Ops yesterday. I'm just annoyed because now it's "hunt for the 95% hidden dude clipping into the edge of the map" instead of "hunt for the 90% hidden dude clipping into the edge of the map."

soultron

Banned
Any tips for guestimating range when you're sniping? They need a rangefinder gadget or something. You usually have to expose your position to "walk" bullets up to the target when you're trying to compensate for bullet-drop.

Khal_B

Finally did the 2nd co-op misssion last night. I ended up having to be the pilot, but I can effectively fly a helicopter now!

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah, me and my friend had to retry that mission countless times, but as a result, we learned how to fly it in MP, so it was worth it.

Speaking of which, I have a question for you guys. Is it worth it to invest time into learning how to fly jets, or am I better off sticking to other vehicles?

mr_nothin

Banned

so, let me get this straight.. you can't take my opinions seriously because i'm playing the console version and there's a huge difference in the way games play out with different amounts of players on a server but aren't trying to sound like a douche?

do you even know what you're saying??!?! i doubt anyone else can make sense of that.

???
The fact that you're playing a version of a game that's limited to 24 players is a factor, YES.

yeah, right after they add killcam/no killcam and regenerating health on/off

We have this on PC...
And this is why I'm saying I cant take the complaints serious. There are just some things that work differently when it comes to the console version when compared to the PC version. If you were to complain about no server options being in the game, I would look at you crazy.

Enkidu

i never get the complaints about Mortar spammers... mortar spam = free kills for counter mortars.
It's not a big problem most of the time, especially not on Bazaar. But Seine with 64 players can be such a mess, if you stick your head out for 5 seconds you are almost guaranteed to have someone shooting at you. Combine this with all the tall buildings and it can be difficult to set up counter mortars when they sit in their spawn.

???
The fact that you're playing a version of a game that's limited to 24 players is a factor, YES.

It's not only the amount of players that totally changes the way the game plays. You acquire targets slower due to the analog stick, and thus it's much easier for a camper to kill you than you to kill a camper. It also seems that PC players are, dare I say it, more sporting, and exploit clipping less often (purely anecdotal, so I may be wrong).

Lastly, and very importantly, is the fact that on PC you can find a few good servers and stick to those, therefore avoiding shitty non-team players and clipping exploiters. I haven't encountered clipping when playing on my favourite servers, most likely due to the quality of people who frequent those servers.

TheSeks

Lastly, and very importantly, is the fact that on PC you can find a few good servers and stick to those, therefore avoiding shitty non-team players and clipping exploiters. I haven't encountered clipping when playing on my favourite servers, most likely due to the quality of people who frequent those servers.

You can set favorites on consoles in the server browser as well or search by server number/title. It's just 1) There is no server creating ability (Y U NO GIVE UNRANKED SERVERS TO FLY JETS IN DICE?!) 2) no one uses the favorite ability... except me... and it isn't a "community of people" on that same server, ever.

You can set favorites on consoles in the server browser as well or search by server number/title. It's just 1) There is no server creating ability (Y U NO GIVE UNRANKED SERVERS TO FLY JETS IN DICE?!) 2) no one uses the favorite ability... except me... and it isn't a "community of people" on that same server, ever.

Exactly, so its only a server in the literal sense. That is to say, it has no regulars, it has no rules, no community, no style. That's one of the big advantages of PC servers, plus, a decent admin can do wonders to prevent exploiting.

Isn't that hardcore?

no, hardcore adds other ridiculous stuff like health modifiers

???

We have this on PC...
And this is why I'm saying I cant take the complaints serious. There are just some things that work differently when it comes to the console version when compared to the PC version. If you were to complain about no server options being in the game, I would look at you crazy.

you're still not making any sense dude, you're saying that you can't take the complaints seriously because they're complaints that don't apply to you, even though you acknowledge that they are valid complaints, and then say you don't want to sound like a douche. think about that for a second.

also, PC has other issues, like rules that aren't official game rules, but they can get you kicked anyway.

TheSeks

So, yeah... I'm kinda adjusting to the AN-94 BF3 variant. Now that I know three "burst" mode is full auto (why the hell was I thinking it was burst when other guns have that same icon for auto? Ugh. Guess because there's no single-shot semi-auto mode) and adjusting to recoil a bit it's pretty good. Needs a damage buff a bit and I need to adjust to recoil a bit more on full auto but it is a capable gun just like it's BC2 version.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
you're still not making any sense dude, you're saying that you can't take the complaints seriously because they're complaints that don't apply to you, even though you acknowledge that they are valid complaints, and then say you don't want to sound like a douche. think about that for a second.

also, PC has other issues, like rules that aren't official game rules, but they can get you kicked anyway.

Even if you don't agree with him, what he's trying to say is pretty clear. Not sure how/why it doesn't make sense to you.

I need to level up my Support... I hate to do it, but I think I need to join one of those 24/7 Metro servers.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Even if you don't agree with him, what he's trying to say is pretty clear. Not sure how/why it doesn't make sense to you.

I need to level up my Support... I hate to do it, but I think I need to join one of those 24/7 Metro servers.

Two things:

1. Operation Metro + Conquest + 64 players + 1000 tickets + Banned rockets/mortars = very fun (once in a rare while, of course)

2. I was one of those engy only people up until last week when I gave Support a try and I have to say it's a very fun and capable class. Nothing quite like running up to a tank, planting C4 on it, and running away to safety as you blow the motherfucker up to bits and pieces, destroying the tank and killing everyone inside. Even more satisfying than doing so with a rocket launcher (which is also very satisfying). Also, the M249 (I think it is) with RDS, Foregrip, and Extended Mag is so good it's almost unfair.

Just play TDM. I've never leveled faster in this game.

commish

Two things:

1. Operation Metro + Conquest + 64 players + 1000 tickets + Banned rockets/mortars = very fun (once in a rare while, of course)

2. I was one of those engy only people up until last week when I gave Support a try and I have to say it's a very fun and capable class. Nothing quite like running up to a tank, planting C4 on it, and running away to safety as you blow the motherfucker up to bits and pieces, destroying the tank and killing everyone inside. Even more satisfying than doing so with a rocket launcher (which is also very satisfying). Also, the M249 (I think it is) with RDS, Foregrip, and Extended Mag is so good it's almost unfair.

Yeah, it's the banned rockets that I need. Can't stand rocket/m320 spam.

I'll have to level up my m249. I've been using the UMP with my support class, but that's a waste!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Battlelog still down after 3 days. A lot of people having the issue are Charter customers in the St. Louis area, but there are people from all over the world having the issue as well.

I hope this shit is fixed before the long weekend.

Check out the weapon damage chart here. Just found out my beloved type 88 is lower in damage output compared to M240B

I think this is/was based on this series of tests.

However, it looks like actual data has been recently ripped. Very interesting findings. Bullet damage/characteristics really are based on the type of ammunition utilized, along with bullet gravity and suppression multipliers.

Also, this analysis of the SCAR-H's weapon recoil, sway, characteristics, etc. is interesting, from what I've read so far.:

Den, if you're interested, it works and it comes out readable, but BF3 has a totally insane number of variables.

Personally, I'm interested in recoil, because that's something we can't quantify without the numbers, so I thought I'd have a hunt for that. Turns out It's hell-complicated. They weren't joking when they said every gun has 5000 variables.

scogoth

So, yeah... I'm kinda adjusting to the AN-94 BF3 variant. Now that I know three "burst" mode is full auto (why the hell was I thinking it was burst when other guns have that same icon for auto? Ugh. Guess because there's no single-shot semi-auto mode) and adjusting to recoil a bit it's pretty good. Needs a damage buff a bit and I need to adjust to recoil a bit more on full auto but it is a capable gun just like it's BC2 version.

Its definitely possible to due well with the gun and for some reason I do find myself racking up kills with it even when it feels I'm playing like shit. Its just seems every other assault rifle is less frustrating to use. I know there is a lot of hate for the G3 because of the low ammo clip and slow fire rate but I find it the most fun. AN-94 just makes me sad when I use it

Binabik15

I prefer the bipod just because putting it down, the thing is like shooting a laser beam with the ROF on the gun. So accurate when you use the bipod and those 200 rounds... yum

I service star'd the Type 88 with forgegrip, but now I switched to the M249 and like the bipod with it. Like the beta I'm using the 3.4 scope, don't have the holo yet. I'm not sure I'll stop using a zoomed scope, it's one of the few guns I'm getting some headshots with.

I might try the 1000 ticket 64 players Metro knife+pistol only server, now that I've gotten the medic medal

commish

Do suppressors only work on a few guns still? I mainly use the M416 for that very reason.

scogoth

Very interesting read
So, suppression hugely decreases your first-shot accuracy, and doubles your spread-added per shot.

I'm going to think twice about suppression now, I've almost always used it on my weapons but have been very ineffective at long range firing. I didn't know suppression had such a large affect on accuracy.

Enkidu

Is this really a negative? Unless these servers completely take over I tend to think of it as a good thing. Don't like certain elements of the game? Join a server where that isn't allowed! Most of the time it's clearly labeled in the server name if special rules apply, but if they aren't then yes, that can be a problem.

commish

Very interesting read

I'm going to think twice about suppression now, I've almost always used it on my weapons but have been very ineffective at long range firing. I didn't know suppression had such a large affect on accuracy.

I'll always use it because not appearing on the mini-map > all else.

TheSeks

Er-Supression != Supressors?

Also Supression is useful for harassing and putting people back. I'm thinking they're saying that under the effects of supression the supressed loses first shot accuracy and has a much larger spread, which makes sense: If you were being shot at in a panic and not knowing from where, you wouldn't be accurate.

Rules are usually stated in the servers name, and they will remind you of them fairly often. I got a bunch of servers saved that had some fun settings. Just got to browse and find servers that you like. Though I have not found any that are super strict. The worst was BO on PC with the crazy list of rules many servers had that weren't stated anywhere. You didn't fire ADS?! BANNED! wtf?

scogoth

Er-Supression != Supressors?

Also Supression is useful for harassing and putting people back. I'm thinking they're saying that under the effects of supression the supressed loses first shot accuracy and has a much larger spread, which makes sense: If you were being shot at in a panic and not knowing from where, you wouldn't be accurate.

Ah yes. Silencers = suppressors.

Good I will continue to use them on everything.

Bloody hell, what an insane amount of variables. It's going to be a while before Den gets all the data and sets it up in a nice, orderly format. I love the fact that damage is based on the bullet rather than the gun. Cannot wait to see the full stats and choose my favourite weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom