• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been able to play a normal match in hours. Battlefield 3 has stopped working errors, disconnects and kicks. What the fuck is going on?

I get that, but my point is: It broke the perk system. Everyone used it and none of the other slot-2s. If you didn't use it, you put yourself at a disadvantage. That's my point: It was stupid because it broke the balance and never should've been in the game in the first place.

Most of the other perks were fine, but buffing/nerfing damage perks should never be in a FPS.

Right, you wasted a spot by doing it.

Haven't been able to play a normal match in hours. Battlefield 3 has stopped working errors, disconnects and kicks. What the fuck is going on?

Do you have an Asus card or mobo? I had the "Battlefield 3 has stopped working" problem a LOT, basically after every game, sometimes when starting single player. After uninstalling Asus Gamer OSD it's working perfectly (knock on wood).

Perks were probably the worst idea in BC2. They're just as bad in BF3, but more manageable/less broken.

lawl so they're not just as bad. What perks are there anyway in BF3? You mean the EXPL and SUPR stuff? Those are barely perks, they don't significantly alter the balance of the game (mayyyyyyyyybe with the exception of the EXPL perk). And if we're calling those perks then I guess 2142 featured them as well because it had stuff like the sprint boost and extra grenades.

Magnum ammo is literally a damage buff that will always give you a significant advantage in any firefight and it was unlocked at LEVEL 15 which required about 10 hours of game time at least. Nothing in BF3 approaches that level of nonsense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What perks are there anyway in BF3? You mean the EXPL and SUPR stuff? Those are barely perks, they don't significantly alter the balance of the game (mayyyyyyyyybe with the exception of the EXPL perk).

They're perks in a sense that players have a choice of giving one to their team once unlocked.

Sprint can be dangerous on some maps by giving a quick defense set-up. Explosions give more rockets. They aren't broken (so far) like BC2's Magnum Ammo but they do alter the balance in slight ways. Grenades is probably the only one that's completely useless... along with supression, I guess. The others have a net benefit at times.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They're perks in a sense that players have a choice of giving one to their team once unlocked.

Sprint can be dangerous on some maps by giving a quick defense set-up. Explosions give more rockets. They aren't broken (so far) like BC2's Magnum Ammo but they do alter the balance in slight ways. Grenades is probably the only one that's completely useless... along with supression, I guess. The others have a net benefit at times.

Supression helps a lot on some maps. Use supression in combination with a LMG prone in Damavand and unload blindly into the tunnels and you get points cascading in.

Same with suppressing the hill on Caspian so your teammates can assault it. Same with metro and the stairwells. Same with covering a couple of the points in Tehran.

Supression helps a lot on some maps. Use supression in combination with a LMG prone in Damavand and unload blindly into the tunnels and you get points cascading in.

Same with suppressing the hill on Caspian so your teammates can assault it. Same with metro and the stairwells. Same with covering a couple of the points in Tehran.

I've started doing this with the LMG. Just unleashing with a fury of bullets, they can't see shit but my other folks on the team rush up and take them out. Very effective.

eek5

I've started doing this with the LMG. Just unleashing with a fury of bullets, they can't see shit but my other folks on the team rush up and take them out. Very effective.

Doesn't suppression just lengthen the recovery from the effect? I think the biggest thing with the perk is that people will recover from health much slower if they're being suppressed by you so as long as you can chip away at them or your team can then it is pretty helpful.

TheSeks

Wow, Splinter was right: The AN-94 is pretty shitty this outing. :/

mr_nothin

Banned
that assumes the other side is (1) visible and (2) facing your direction.

sure, when those conditions are met, it's easy to just sweep shoot the leg.

ridiculous!
I dont even like the IRNV. I get more kills without it. It's not hard to kill people in the game at all. Just know your spots and make sure you check where you think the enemy might be and use context clues. I'd just rather play without the IRNV. It's too much of a distraction. Feels like im just focusing on getting kills rather than paying attention to the actual game and what's going on with the flags and such.

TheSeks

Its only the shittiest assault rifle by a long shot

It's not so bad with two burst mode. But the three burst mode in ADS is wayyyyyy too much recoil. Close range three burst is murder, but I dunno. I've kinda tamed it, but yeah, it's way nerfed from BC2.

I have never been wrong.

:) Suffice it to say they need to fix the recoil and give me my BFF semi-auto one shot mode, IIRC, the AN-94 in BC2 was single-shot and you had to spam the trigger but the low recoil with that is what made it beastly.

Spl1nter

:) Suffice it to say they need to fix the recoil and give me my BFF semi-auto one shot mode, IIRC, the AN-94 in BC2 was single-shot and you had to spam the trigger but the low recoil with that is what made it beastly.

Wouldnt really make a difference if they added a single shot mode. The gun still does the same damage as every other assault rifle except the g3. If you want a gun for single shot fire use the g3. The closest alternative to the the an-94 is the kh2002. Very solid burst fire gun. The main gun I have used as assault.

Not sure if this has been posted but there is a SERVER BREAKING bug with the attack heli gunner seat. On the PC at least.

Sometimes the camera gets locked on the TV missile camera but instead you're firing the machine gun and you can't change weapon. When this happen the server WILL crash. 100% guaranteed. It will crash when you die or when you try to exit the heli.

It happened to me 4 times already, server always ended up crashing.

Varna

lawl so they're not just as bad. What perks are there anyway in BF3? You mean the EXPL and SUPR stuff? Those are barely perks, they don't significantly alter the balance of the game (mayyyyyyyyybe with the exception of the EXPL perk). And if we're calling those perks then I guess 2142 featured them as well because it had stuff like the sprint boost and extra grenades.

Magnum ammo is literally a damage buff that will always give you a significant advantage in any firefight and it was unlocked at LEVEL 15 which required about 10 hours of game time at least. Nothing in BF3 approaches that level of nonsense.

It's not really those kind of perks that are the problem in BF3. They are mostly balanced and I never see any one perk dominate them all like Magnum ammo. The way the IRNV scope and flashlight work... just wow. There are counter measures for the scope, but it's still incredibly ridiculous how it works in the day time. And obviously a flashlight blinding you outside is beyond retarded.

TheSeks

Wouldnt really make a difference if they added a single shot mode. The gun still does the same damage as every other assault rifle except the g3. If you want a gun for single shot fire use the g3. The closest alternative to the the an-94 is the kh2002. Very solid burst fire gun. The main gun I have used as assault.

See, in these cases I wouldn't mind a single-buff to one weapon instead of a blanket buff/nerf that Demize is prone to do. >_>

But a single-shot mode would help the recoil a bit, I feel. Like I said: Three burst mode is crazy in kick while two is somewhat manageable but still has a bit of recoil. I'm not sure if the real gun has that much kick but DAMN.

Also WTF have they done to the ironsights? I prefered the skeletal thin lines for the ironsights on the BC2 AN-94. The BF3 one has these red lines for the sights, which isn't bad but I feel weird using them. :/

scogoth

It's not so bad with two burst mode. But the three burst mode in ADS is wayyyyyy too much recoil. Close range three burst is murder, but I dunno. I've kinda tamed it, but yeah, it's way nerfed from BC2.

Thats not three round burst thats the full auto mode and it has less recoil then the burst mode. That in itself is stupid but DICE have confirmed that burst has more recoil and spread than full auto after the settle time. The reason for no true single fire mode is the real AN-94 doesn't have it. The AN-94 is supposed to have a special recoil system which fires a two round burst before the recoil affects aim giving it a 2 bullet shot with single shot accuracy. That didn't make into the game it seems.

I've found for the AN-94, put it in full auto mode and tap fire to get single shots is the way to go

TheSeks

Thats not three round burst thats the full auto mode and it has less recoil then the burst mode. That in itself is stupid but DICE have confirmed that burst has more recoil and spread than full auto after the settle time.

I've found for the AN-94, put it in full auto mode and tap fire to get single shots is the way to go

Hmmm... I dunno. Full auto has a huge kick while two-round burst doesn't. Two-round is close to the BC2 AN-94 "feel" for me, but it's still got quite a kick.

I'm going to play around with a bit and see if I can "tame the beast," because I really want IDKMYBFFAN-94 back since they took the GOL out. :(

Spl1nter

Hmmm... I dunno. Full auto has a huge kick while two-round burst doesn't. Two-round is close to the BC2 AN-94 "feel" for me, but it's still got quite a kick.

I'm going to play around with a bit and see if I can "tame the beast," because I really want IDKMYBFFAN-94 back since they took the GOL out. :(

Just use the kh2002 with heavy barrel and you have your an-94 reborn.

Zeppelin

They need to do something about the SOFLAM to make it worth while using. Right now all it takes for a tank to shoot it down is to do a sweep with guided shell equipped and lock on to it. It's not even worth bothering with it as it now.

TheSeks

They need to do something about the SOFLAM to make it worth while using. Right now all it takes for a tank to shoot it down is to do a sweep with guided shell equipped and lock on to it. It's not even worth bothering with it as it now.

They need to make the range longer. And the MAV can take it out as well. But yeah, the SOFLAM needs a longer range, it would help with the anti-air wagon cheese on Norshal Canal Rush, for instance.

Splinter said:
Just use the kh2002 with heavy barrel and you have your an-94 reborn.

I guess I should try that out. But I don't really like using add-ons to my weapons... unless it's the IRNV, which is so bad hax.

Zeppelin

They need to make the range longer. And the MAV can take it out as well. But yeah, the SOFLAM needs a longer range, it would help with the anti-air wagon cheese on Norshal Canal Rush, for instance.

I don't know about longer range, on a map like Kharg that would be kind of devastating for the US if I could set up on E roof and lock on to shit coming out of their spawn. But I don't know what else they can do about it.

TheSeks

Why not? Heavy Barrel/Silencer/Foregrip all make a big difference.

I use the foregrip but I don't really notice a difference, I use the bipod on snipers for the stupid scope sway (WHY.jpg, DICE.) and LMG. But that's about it. I don't see the point in silencers other than to be stealth but that isn't really worth the small damage nerf and "slower bullet travel" to me.

Otherwise on some guns I use the extended mag... like the PP-2000 for instance.

I try to avoid the scopes like the plague. They throw me off and sway isn't helpful unless they're like the IRNV which has too many advantages right now.

@Zeppelin: If I put the SOFLAM on top of a crane in Firestorm, I'm generally not getting lockons. Why? Because the range is very poor. I have a height advantage, why can't I take advantage of that and have them "locked down" unless someone notices the SOFLAM and brings a jet/helicopter attempt over to kill it or fly a MAV up there to kill it?

MAV can kill anything that isn't the mortar right now, even other MAV's. I don't see how giving it a slightly longer range would make it too powerful.

Nabs

Not sure if this has been posted but there is a SERVER BREAKING bug with the attack heli gunner seat. On the PC at least.

Sometimes the camera gets locked on the TV missile camera but instead you're firing the machine gun and you can't change weapon. When this happen the server WILL crash. 100% guaranteed. It will crash when you die or when you try to exit the heli.

It happened to me 4 times already, server always ended up crashing.

lol, damn.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

The foregrip makes the AN-94 a monster. I don't use the iron sights since they're ass, but it's solid enough in CQB with full auto, and at range that two round burst isn't that hard to handle once you get used to it. The AN is sort of an acquired taste. You really have to work for it.

Zeppelin

@Zeppelin: If I put the SOFLAM on top of a crane in Firestorm, I'm generally not getting lockons. Why? Because the range is very poor. I have a height advantage, why can't I take advantage of that and have them "locked down" unless someone notices the SOFLAM and brings a jet/helicopter attempt over to kill it or fly a MAV up there to kill it?

MAV can kill anything that isn't the mortar right now, even other MAV's. I don't see how giving it a slightly longer range would make it too powerful.

Hm, haven't tried putting in a crane on Firestorm. I guess you've got a point there! And I always thought the 'killing enemy equipment' ability made the MAV a bit too powerful. When you've got good guys below it that thing is pretty damn powerful even without that ability.

Spl1nter

I use the foregrip but I don't really notice a difference, I use the bipod on snipers for the stupid scope sway (WHY.jpg, DICE.) and LMG. But that's about it. I don't see the point in silencers other than to be stealth but that isn't really worth the small damage nerf and "slower bullet travel" to me.

Otherwise on some guns I use the extended mag... like the PP-2000 for instance.

I try to avoid the scopes like the plague. They throw me off and sway isn't helpful unless they're like the IRNV which has too many advantages right now.

The affect the foregrip has is weapon dependent. Some weapons have more horizontal sway/recoil than others. Its basically a necessity on the aek. The silencers are useful both for stealth/hiding position on minimap and they reduce the recoil for weapons. Of course they have a number of trade offs for this effect.

lol, damn.

Someone just found their new method of trolling!

The foregrip makes the AN-94 a monster. I don't use the iron sights since they're ass, but it's solid enough in CQB with full auto, and at range that two round burst isn't that hard to handle once you get used to it. The AN is sort of an acquired taste. You really have to work for it.

There is no reason to use it over any other weapon.

Varna

I really wish they had another game options... objective mode.

You only get full points for actions if you are within certain range of squad leaders target (and better yet, COMMANDERS). Kills, heals, revives, etc. outside of the range only get you 10 points. K:D ratio is not increased in this mode, only W:L.

TheSeks

The affect the foregrip has is weapon dependent. Some weapons have more horizontal sway/recoil than others. Its basically a necessity on the aek. The silencers are useful both for stealth/hiding position on minimap and they reduce the recoil for weapons. Of course they have a number of trade offs for this effect.

Well, I prefer max damage output in addition to low recoil. I don't really need scopes in general, just a fast acting damaging gun.

Zeppelin said:
Hm, haven't tried putting in a crane on Firestorm. I guess you've got a point there! And I always thought the 'killing enemy equipment' ability made the MAV a bit too powerful. When you've got good guys below it that thing is pretty damn powerful even without that ability.

But see: You can kill the MAV with Stingers (of course, they're useless against air vehicles since lol flares so that's about it's ONLY use right now) or another MAV. It isn't like it's some godly thing. And go on a crane and see for yourself. The range is about to the out-of-bounds a bit from the first crane on the right of the first set in Firestorm Rush. It's pretty poor range, esp. given I thought a height advantage would help it in having a longer "lock-on without having to attend to it" range. :/

I dont even like the IRNV. I get more kills without it. It's not hard to kill people in the game at all. Just know your spots and make sure you check where you think the enemy might be and use context clues. I'd just rather play without the IRNV. It's too much of a distraction. Feels like im just focusing on getting kills rather than paying attention to the actual game and what's going on with the flags and such.

i <3 the IRNV, it makes me feel like i can focus on the objectives and not what some wall clipping hidey hole some dude wants to prone in.

Yeah, Conquest was great in BC2!

...BC2 isn't even the best BC game. It introduced a lot of dumb shit that unfortunately carried over to BF3. The mix-and-match gadget system for classes is retarded. We need to get back to having more classes with set roles and the only customization being changing your primary/secondary weapon and a few specializations.

kate_we_have_to_go_back.jpg

seriously, i would love it if they used Conquest Assault Lines in BC3. only cap home bases when all other bases are already capped! none of this invincible spawn BS.

But see: You can kill the MAV with Stingers (of course, they're useless against air vehicles since lol flares so that's about it's ONLY use right now) or another MAV. It isn't like it's some godly thing. And go on a crane and see for yourself. The range is about to the out-of-bounds a bit from the first crane on the right of the first set in Firestorm Rush. It's pretty poor range, esp. given I thought a height advantage would help it in having a longer "lock-on without having to attend to it" range. :/

if they buff the SOFLAM range i would have a field day self-SOFLAMming it up all over the tank maps!

TheSeks

if they buff the SOFLAM range i would have a field day self-SOFLAMming it up all over the tank maps!

I'm not saying it needs a complete lockdown range, it just needs a slightly bigger range because I feel it's range is too short on maps like Firestorm to be useful for more than Javalin on air vehicles.

Enkidu

i <3 the IRNV, it makes me feel like i can focus on the objectives and not what some wall clipping hidey hole some dude wants to prone in.
It's insane how much you focus on the clipping. I've not once felt that someone killed me because they were clipping through something. I realize that there might be circumstances where that happens, but I really don't see how you can gain such a large benefit by having your legs clip through a wall. Maybe this really is different on consoles though. I don't like using that "excuse" but the way you focus so strongly on this one point makes me wonder if there really is a difference in how the games play out.

I'm not saying it needs a complete lockdown range, it just needs a slightly bigger range because I feel it's range is too short on maps like Firestorm to be useful for more than Javalin on air vehicles.

i'm just sayin... if you can lock from the ship to the base, it works both ways. once repelled, the US team would NEVER get off the ship in CQ

It's insane how much you focus on the clipping. I've not once felt that someone killed me because they were clipping through something. I realize that there might be circumstances where that happens, but I really don't see how you can gain such a large benefit by having your legs clip through a wall. Maybe this really is different on consoles though. I don't like using that "excuse" but the way you focus so strongly on this one point makes me wonder if there really is a difference in how the games play out.

probably has to do with the player count difference, no team text chat, etc...

Rapstah

I thought I was getting lots more kills as Support than as Recon, but then I switch back to semi-automatic Recon for a round and go like 26/2... damn it. Service star on that rifle now, IR scope, so many trolling opportunities with mobile spawn to always paradrop behind enemy lines and MAV to roadkill people.

TheSeks

i'm just sayin... if you can lock from the ship to the base, it works both ways. once repelled, the US team would NEVER get off the ship in CQ

Yes, but they need to do SOMETHING on Rush. Because that anti-air is completely cheese. Either remove the respawn timer that's insane (literally a minute after it's killed) or nerf bat it... or both. You say to remove it from first set, but I feel it has a place to harass the helicopters more so than locking down areas. But right now in good hands it shuts down the shore + air and the attackers can't leave the boat. I can't imagine how that would be in Conquest.

But *ahem* Conquest wise, I can see your point, but the SOFLAM needs something or I need some kinda hint from you to where it clicks. I've attempted to use it and like I said... I feel the range is too short for any practical application I've tried to use it for to where I'm better off just MAV'ing the tanks and hoping someone hits them while giving a heads up or using the T-UGS for defense/attack watching.

It's insane how much you focus on the clipping.

So you've never had enemy players sit on the "edge" of the map prone and clipped their legs through the edge of the map to where they're literally hard to see unless using the IRNV? Because I've had it happen many times on consoles.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
There is no reason to use it over any other weapon.

Sure there is, range and feel. The former is something the AN has by default with its burst mode and the latter is something more subjective. It's even reasonably good enough in CQB with full auto. I like the feel of the AN better than other guns like the FN2000 (which while I have my highest KPM with, still feels like an impotent laser gun and thus gives me no satisfaction).

Enkidu

So you've never had enemy players sit on the "edge" of the map prone and clipped their legs through the edge of the map to where they're literally hard to see unless using the IRNV? Because I've had it happen many times on consoles.
Not that I'm aware of, no. Although I generally avoid the smaller maps and this problem doesn't really sound like something you'd encounter on the larger maps. Still, the most annoying campers I tend to run into are the mortar spammers on Bazaar or Seine. Maybe with more players the campers tend to be flushed out more often? Or perhaps people simply spot more on PC? The BC2:Vietnam competition does seems to suggest the PC community use the teamwork functions more than the console one does.

TheSeks

Not that I'm aware of, no. Although I generally avoid the smaller maps and this problem doesn't really sound like something you'd encounter on the larger maps. Still, the most annoying campers I tend to run into are the mortar spammers on Bazaar or Seine. Maybe with more players the campers tend to be flushed out more often? Or perhaps people simply spot more on PC? The BC2:Vietnam competition does seems to suggest the PC community use the teamwork functions more than the console one does.

Spotting isn't helpful if you don't know they're there, dude. The issue I have with prone's clipping is that their legs can go through the map. Thereby on the edge of the map they're 50% hidden. Put them in good camo/shadows and they become 80% harder to find and spot. IRNV calls them out, but this wouldn't be an issue if you couldn't clip your legs through areas and literally had to be "prone in world" and be more exposed instead of legs clipping.

Enkidu

Spotting isn't helpful if you don't know they're there, dude. The issue I have with prone's clipping is that their legs can go through the map. Thereby on the edge of the map they're 50% hidden. Put them in good camo/shadows and they become 80% harder to find and spot. IRNV calls them out, but this wouldn't be an issue if you couldn't clip your legs through areas and literally had to be "prone in world" and be more exposed instead of legs clipping.
I guess I can only take your word on it. I've never encountered this issue before so that's why I was so confused about it.

GodofWine

I've killed more 'clipping' guys whose legs were sticking out through a wall, than they've killed me, but yea, clipping should be fixed.

But it is fun to unload a clip into a foot sticking out of a concrete wall.

Yes, but they need to do SOMETHING on Rush. Because that anti-air is completely cheese. Either remove the respawn timer that's insane (literally a minute after it's killed) or nerf bat it... or both. You say to remove it from first set, but I feel it has a place to harass the helicopters more so than locking down areas. But right now in good hands it shuts down the shore + air and the attackers can't leave the boat. I can't imagine how that would be in Conquest.

But *ahem* Conquest wise, I can see your point, but the SOFLAM needs something or I need some kinda hint from you to where it clicks. I've attempted to use it and like I said... I feel the range is too short for any practical application I've tried to use it for to where I'm better off just MAV'ing the tanks and hoping someone hits them while giving a heads up or using the T-UGS for defense/attack watching.

yeah, i say remove it from the first set since from the second set on, attackers can spawn on dry land and deal with it there.

i never get the complaints about Mortar spammers... mortar spam = free kills for counter mortars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom