• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I that the most frustrating two rounds ever! I never bitch at teamates but damn i couldn't help. My entire fucking team was prone on metro, just waiting to get slaughtered. They would not move. People just stand there and then complain that map is imbalanced or a meat grinder. Throw a damn smoke grenade, Revive someone, Try to rush by and place a beacon, or move forward when I actually take the time to cover your ass. Sigh..

THE SCHEDULED WEEKEND-BF3-PCGAF SERVER PLAYTIME WILL BEGIN NOW.

COME JOIN, BRING FRIENDS, GET IN HERE SOLDIERS!

NeoGAF Community Server

We have 2 servers to try fill up tonight boys, we can blitz them and fill them up quick if we seed them correctly to activate quickjoin (activates once a server meets criteria /a nd if over 50% full) so with us in the first server quickjoin will activate and we can start to let it ride! LETS DO THIS!

EKlh9.png

Don't be a little bitch, Join us in mumble for high-quality low-latency voice chat! NeoGAF Community Mumble Server IP: 64.34.202.140:6037

Mumble has been used for much of PC GAF's online communication. Please visit this thread for information on downloading and configuring Mumble.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll jump in for some games. I couldn't get into the mumble channel about an hour ago though.

Yep, still can't connect.

UNTIL I READ THE LINK LOL

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
TA7J5.jpg

I keep getting this error when I try and maximize the game. I have it set to fullscreen but it stays in windowed mode unless I maximize it, which then gives me this error and closes the game. I've installed the newest drivers, reverted back to the older drivers and then tried the newest drivers again, each time with a clean install. Still getting the error. Anyone have suggestions or dealt with this before?

mr_nothin

Banned
yeah, after going back to BC2, i can definitively say i prefer 'only' crouching and hiding from a sniper that's also only crouching or a tank to dealing with someone proning in impossible positions and clipping 3/4 of their body thru some part of the map. especially when they're planning to nerf the IRN, the one thing that really helps to deal with seeing 1/4 of some dude that's not inside some map object.

and yeah, let's take out vehicles, bullets, and whatever other ridiculous unrelated item you can add because you really don't have anything else to say.

"most balanced prone ever" just means their other tries were all worse.

Well, if you're looking at it from a console perspective then i can sorta see how prone might be a problem. You know, with the limited aiming troubles that you guys have to go through. I dont think I've ever found myself frustrated by someone that killed me in the prone position. It just felt like a regular death to me. I've been killed while in prone so much. It's not really that hard to spot someone in prone...

Also, I really think that people need to state whether they're on consoles or PC when they talk about certain problems with the game.

C'mon fellas, stick it out with us at least until the server fills up! we were almost past half! Quickjoin will take care of the rest!
THE SCHEDULED WEEKEND-BF3-PCGAF SERVER PLAYTIME WILL BEGIN NOW.

COME JOIN, BRING FRIENDS, GET IN HERE SOLDIERS!

NeoGAF Community Server

We have 2 servers to try fill up tonight boys, we can blitz them and fill them up quick if we seed them correctly to activate quickjoin (activates once a server meets criteria /a nd if over 50% full) so with us in the first server quickjoin will activate and we can start to let it ride! LETS DO THIS!

EKlh9.png

Don't be a little bitch, Join us in mumble for high-quality low-latency voice chat! NeoGAF Community Mumble Server IP: 64.34.202.140:6037

Mumble has been used for much of PC GAF's online communication. Please visit this thread for information on downloading and configuring Mumble.

demolitio

yeah, after going back to BC2, i can definitively say i prefer 'only' crouching and hiding from a sniper that's also only crouching or a tank to dealing with someone proning in impossible positions and clipping 3/4 of their body thru some part of the map. especially when they're planning to nerf the IRN, the one thing that really helps to deal with seeing 1/4 of some dude that's not inside some map object.

and yeah, let's take out vehicles, bullets, and whatever other ridiculous unrelated item you can add because you really don't have anything else to say.

"most balanced prone ever" just means their other tries were all worse.

Nothing else to say? I guess my post wasn't long enough to make a point by your standards? I have plenty to say, but I guess since you're post is shorter, it means you have nothing else to say as well using that logic...

The people that started playing BF back with BF42 or even BF2 know what prone adds to the game and those who started later might not get that since they're used to BC2 and it's need for making everything easy. It works both ways, what you see as easy for snipers or campers, I see having only crouch as a thing that's easy for snipers or campers because everyone's a sitting duck.

I don't remember constant bitching about prone back in BF42, BF:V, BF2, or BF2142, do you? This is a sequel to BF2 for a reason and there'd be more people pissed off at the lack of prone than vice versa because that's a feature of every main BF game. Just because two spinoffs take it out doesn't mean the main series should just to appease people who don't see prone's usefulness on both sides. Adapt and overcome rather than bitch about

Do people prone in bushes or in good spots overlooking objectives? Sure...Does that make the area impossible to navigate or a deathtrap? Hell no. My point about the vehicles is that they make kills even easier and can be used to camp solely for kills, so should we take that out since it's causing people a couple deaths? It's a rock, paper, scissors game and that includes the classes and playstyles.

You can disagree, but don't act like I have nothing to say just because you don't agree with me, especially when it's ironic. I don't use IRNV to find these prone guys as it's not even really needed. Maybe I can just accept my ingame deaths without calling foul on something...

As stated above, maybe you're on the console version or never played any BF games prior to BC1, but to take prone out is ridiculous for a main BF title.

TA7J5.jpg

I keep getting this error when I try and maximize the game. I have it set to fullscreen but it stays in windowed mode unless I maximize it, which then gives me this error and closes the game. I've installed the newest drivers, reverted back to the older drivers and then tried the newest drivers again, each time with a clean install. Still getting the error. Anyone have suggestions or dealt with this before?

I got the same error with an AMD card just a few minutes ago... Odd.

Nothing else to say? I guess my post wasn't long enough to make a point by your standards? I have plenty to say, but I guess since you're post is shorter, it means you have nothing else to say as well using that logic...

The people that started playing BF back with BF42 or even BF2 know what prone adds to the game and those who started later might not get that since they're used to BC2 and it's need for making everything easy. It works both ways, what you see as easy for snipers or campers, I see having only crouch as a thing that's easy for snipers or campers because everyone's a sitting duck.

I don't remember constant bitching about prone back in BF42, BF:V, BF2, or BF2142, do you? This is a sequel to BF2 for a reason and there'd be more people pissed off at the lack of prone than vice versa because that's a feature of every main BF game. Just because two spinoffs take it out doesn't mean the main series should just to appease people who don't see prone's usefulness on both sides. Adapt and overcome rather than bitch about

Do people prone in bushes or in good spots overlooking objectives? Sure...Does that make the area impossible to navigate or a deathtrap? Hell no. My point about the vehicles is that they make kills even easier and can be used to camp solely for kills, so should we take that out since it's causing people a couple deaths? It's a rock, paper, scissors game and that includes the classes and playstyles.

You can disagree, but don't act like I have nothing to say just because you don't agree with me, especially when it's ironic. I don't use IRNV to find these prone guys as it's not even really needed. Maybe I can just accept my ingame deaths without calling foul on something...

As stated above, maybe you're on the console version or never played any BF games prior to BC1, but to take prone out is ridiculous for a main BF title.

Taking out prone would be the worst idea / decision ever and that is final there is nothing more to say.

LiquidMetal14

Anyone else get this issue

bf32011-11-1922-37-42aruw6.png

It just happened today. Haven't played the game in what feels like 10 days and uninstalled a bunch of net framework updates and ATI Tray Tools. I even went to 11.10 preview 3 instead of 2 and still persists. Any ideas?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Regardless of how you feel about prone, the real bullshit is not being able to cook grenades.

You couldn't really do it in BC2, you could "hold" them to throw. BF2: MC (and I guess BF2 proper) allowed it, but I found it pretty useless in most situations compared to CoD4/et. al.

Prone's completely fine. It just needs to have the "clipping" problem fixed. (Until then, free points for people going prone near places that aren't the edge of the map. GOOD JOB SHOWING YOUR LEGS OUT OF A WALL, DUDE!)

Pennybags

Anyone else get this issue

bf32011-11-1922-37-42aruw6.png

It just happened today. Haven't played the game in what feels like 10 days and uninstalled a bunch of net framework updates and ATI Tray Tools. I even went to 11.10 preview 3 instead of 2 and still persists. Any ideas?

Does looking directly at the ground and then re-tabbing the game do anything? I have something that is somewhat similar but easily alleviated.

Well, if you're looking at it from a console perspective then i can sorta see how prone might be a problem. You know, with the limited aiming troubles that you guys have to go through. I dont think I've ever found myself frustrated by someone that killed me in the prone position. It just felt like a regular death to me. I've been killed while in prone so much. It's not really that hard to spot someone in prone...

Also, I really think that people need to state whether they're on consoles or PC when they talk about certain problems with the game.

i dunno how you got aiming being the problem from a complaint about 3/4 of their body being clipped thru a supposed solid object. especially when the followup was about how the IRNV helped with that. it's kind of confusing, maybe the higher resolution has you seeing extra words or something...

i dunno what games you were playing, but in the games i played, vehicles are huge and don't regularly clip 3/4 of their bodies thru a wall. but hey, feel free to ignore that, best prone ever!

TheSeks

You can hold-to-throw on BF3... PC.

Maybe I need to hold the button longer than two seconds to bounce a grenade off a wall quickly because people are grenade spamming/RPG spamming in Metro rush's B hallway. :/

Faceless said:
i dunno what games you were playing, but in the games i played, vehicles are huge and don't regularly clip 3/4 of their bodies thru a wall. but hey, feel free to ignore that, best prone ever!

Wait, vehicles clip through the walls? I've had the ground clipping shit happen and that's frustrating, but I've never had vehicles clip through indestructible cover like prone people do.

TheSeks

Well you can equip the grenade and knife on the PC one, as well as quick grenade/knife. That allows you to "semi-cook" it. But you can try throwing the grenade and holding the fire button before throwing it. That allows you to semi-cook it as well.

Yeah, you can equip the knife on consoles by holding the knife button down. So I'm sure it's possible to hold the grenade on consoles. Just I haven't really had a situation where I needed to do it I guess.

LiquidMetal14

Does looking directly at the ground and then re-tabbing the game do anything? I have something that is somewhat similar but easily alleviated.

Tabbing was making the game crash oddly. I went ahead and driver swept 11.10 preview 2 off and installed 11.11. Glitch gone. Went with 11.10 prev 3 but I got BSOD's which is unacceptable.

mr_nothin

Banned
i dunno how you got aiming being the problem from a complaint about 3/4 of their body being clipped thru a supposed solid object. especially when the followup was about how the IRNV helped with that. it's kind of confusing, maybe the higher resolution has you seeing extra words or something...

Yea...PC Master race problems. All the high res textures are messing with my eyes. So hard to see any problems that would cause me to want to take prone out. Sorry

What the fuck. Am I the only one who has to wait like 3-5 minutes for Origin to fucking open up after clicking on the goddamn shortcut 10 times?

God Origin is such a piece of shit.

Enkidu

Maybe we are thinking of different things but doesn't the clipping primarily hurt the guy who is going prone? It's the same issue that has been in every battlefield game that I can remember, go prone in a corner and your legs will stick out on the other side. It's then easy to kill the guy since you know exactly where he is, just pop around the corner and throw a grenade at him or something.

mr_nothin

Banned
Maybe we are thinking of different things but doesn't the clipping primarily hurt the guy who is going prone? It's the same issue that has been in every battlefield game that I can remember, go prone in a corner and your legs will stick out on the other side. It's then easy to kill the guy since you know exactly where he is, just pop around the corner and throw a grenade at him or something.

You can actually just shoot his legs this time

demolitio

Another good point. It's always funny to see legs pointing straight up in the air when a guy is trying to snipe while laying on a rock. Either way, I don't think clipping is big enough of an issue to remove a longtime BF feature.

Don't worry though, he'll respond with some "witty" one-liner instead of actually discussing the points while ironically saying the other person doesn't have anything else to say as if his one point overrules any other point, no matter how many there are. Apparently actually discussing it is too hard because prone is clearly all cons and no pros! :/

And no, I don't have a problem with the IRNV either although range will end up being reduced, but it definitely isn't needed to spot prone campers because eyes work just fine too but I guess that could be a resolution issue even though I didn't have problems on PS3 either. I rather have a 4x scope than IRNV anyway.

USAS-12 isn't fair. I swapped it from a guy I killed, and went on a rampage killing fourteen people in a row.

I picked it up once on Metro down in the tunnels and I felt like I was personally sent to dish out the wrath of God to anyone in those small corridors. It just depends on the map and the area though because once the map opens up, it's pointless again unless you can find a way to flank the enemy without them shooting you from a distance first.

that assumes the other side is (1) visible and (2) facing your direction.

sure, when those conditions are met, it's easy to just sweep shoot the leg.

Another good point. It's always funny to see legs pointing straight up in the air when a guy is trying to snipe while laying on a rock. Either way, I don't think clipping is big enough of an issue to remove a longtime BF feature.

Don't worry though, he'll respond with some "witty" one-liner instead of actually discussing the points while ironically saying the other person doesn't have anything else to say as if his one point overrules any other point, no matter how many there are. Apparently actually discussing it is too hard because prone is clearly all cons and no pros! :/

And no, I don't have a problem with the IRNV either although range will end up being reduced, but it definitely isn't needed to spot prone campers because eyes work just fine too but I guess that could be a resolution issue even though I didn't have problems on PS3 either. I rather have a 4x scope than IRNV anyway.

ridiculous!

As someone whose history with the BF series has been 1942, 2, BC1, 1943, BC2, and now BF3, I have to say that the most fun I've had with any of the Battlefield games has been with BC2. The decisions they made with that game just worked, and not having prone was one of them. Sadly BF3 feels like a regression to me and I think the biggest issue has been pandering to BF vets rather than simply designing the game they thought would be best. Nostalgia shouldn't have any place in game design if you really want to raise the bar.

Alan Kertz never wanted prone in BF3 but was sadly overruled :(

Man, my Battlelog is quite empty of players these days (on my friend list, I mean).

Releasing a big multiplayer game alongside MW3 and some huge RPGs in the Christmas period doesn't do your community much good, it would seem.

Gonna jump in to a random server since the GAF ones are empty :(

MNC

What the fuck. Am I the only one who has to wait like 3-5 minutes for Origin to fucking open up after clicking on the goddamn shortcut 10 times?

God Origin is such a piece of shit.

Had this issue, it is now closer to 20 seconds, just like steam. Loading BF3 itself is 3-5 minutes though. Hope it's fixed in next patch.

that assumes the other side is (1) visible and (2) facing your direction.

sure, when those conditions are met, it's easy to just sweep shoot the leg.

ridiculous!

Your console skills are obviously not good enough to handle players in the prone position. Maybe if you stepped your game up and used a KB/M, you wouldn't have such a problem with proners.

TheSeks

Your console skills are obviously not good enough to handle players in the prone position. Maybe if you stepped your game up and used a KB/M, you wouldn't have such a problem with proners.

Problem with prone is the people who clip into the outside of the map and therefore have like a 90% hard-to-see rate. Otherwise prone itself is fine.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Problem with prone is the people who clip into the outside of the map and therefore have like a 90% hard-to-see rate. Otherwise prone itself is fine.

My clipping complaints are recons who can clip with their rifle/scope through a wall corner and kill without being exposed at all. Happens on Seine a lot once the upper floors of some buildings are damaged. And there is no way to go around.

I usually address it with a rocket into the area, but I should not have to.

As someone whose history with the BF series has been 1942, 2, BC1, 1943, BC2, and now BF3, I have to say that the most fun I've had with any of the Battlefield games has been with BC2. The decisions they made with that game just worked, and not having prone was one of them. Sadly BF3 feels like a regression to me and I think the biggest issue has been pandering to BF vets rather than simply designing the game they thought would be best. Nostalgia shouldn't have any place in game design if you really want to raise the bar.

Alan Kertz never wanted prone in BF3 but was sadly overruled :(

Literally false. Magnum ammo is one of the dumbest ideas ever to grace a Battlefield game.

TheSeks

Literally false. Magnum ammo is one of the dumbest ideas ever to grace a Battlefield game.

Perks were probably the worst idea in BC2. They're just as bad in BF3, but more manageable/less broken.

I see both sides of the argument and I can agree that BC2 had the "perfect" solution to no-prone but at the same time having no prone doesn't allow me to hide on the ground near the fence of Norshal Canal Rush second set near B while the anti-air wagon passes nearby on the otherside of the fence. Prone allows certain tactical things to happen and I wouldn't really take it out of the game. But I didn't miss it coming from CoD4 to BC1-2 when it wasn't there for either.

It's dumb because once everyone uses it, it's pointless.

No, it was dumb all around. What's the point of giving a buff to people in offense/defense when the guns were perfectly balanced without either of those being added to the mix? There's a reason all of the guns in BF3 have the same damage rate: recoil/preference is the only deciding factor in which gun you enjoy/kill the most with.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The decisions they made with that game just worked

Yeah, Conquest was great in BC2!

...BC2 isn't even the best BC game. It introduced a lot of dumb shit that unfortunately carried over to BF3. The mix-and-match gadget system for classes is retarded. We need to get back to having more classes with set roles and the only customization being changing your primary/secondary weapon and a few specializations.

No, it was dumb all around. What's the point of giving a buff to people in offense/defense when the guns were perfectly balanced without either of those being added to the mix? There's a reason all of the guns in BF3 have the same damage rate: recoil/preference is the only deciding factor in which gun you enjoy/kill the most with.

It's kind of my point. If you have a gun and I have a gun those guns are no different then if you have mag ammo and I have mag ammo. We will just kill each other that much faster. So if it just balances out in the end, why even have it to begin with? COD had it so they added it to BC2.

TheSeks

It's kind of my point. If you have a gun and I have a gun those guns are no different then if you have mag ammo and I have mag ammo. We will just kill each other that much faster. So if it just balances out in the end, why even have it to begin with? COD had it so they added it to BC2.

I get that, but my point is: It broke the perk system. Everyone used it and none of the other slot-2s. If you didn't use it, you put yourself at a disadvantage. That's my point: It was stupid because it broke the balance and never should've been in the game in the first place.

Most of the other perks were fine, but buffing/nerfing damage perks should never be in a FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom