• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's on to something....

Perhaps I should explain. I generally play jets by flying around the edge of the map at around 800 feet or whatever, spotting and all that jazz. If I see an enemy jet, I try and do my best to get on him when I know he isn't paying a ton of attention to the air, usually when they are attacking ground targets.

So lets assume I kill him, after that, I have 25 seconds until his jet respawns that I've got to worry about killing ground stuff (and this is assuming their other jet is useless or not there at all). During that time, I've got to gain altitude, spot a target on the ground (usually the mobile AA) and successfully strafe with rocket pods and finish with the canon. Then I've got to get up in the air and begin watching for jets again.

Essentially, jets don't attack ground often enough because jets are their biggest threats. Therefore they spend all the time in the sky battling each other.

Really though we should return to the biggest issue: choppers are underpowered.

If you know what you're doing, flying a jet on Caspian Border or Operation Firestorm can have an immense impact on the ground battle, especially if your teammates are properly spotting tanks.

Air Radar
Extinguisher
Rocket Pods

Best loadout ever. It's ridiculously easy to disable tanks, even under heavy AA/jet coverage. If there isn't any anti-jet firepower I can just slow down and completely destroy the tanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I get a black screen when going into MP now. Is there a fix for this? I hear sounds but no visuals.

Also, loading campaign gives me this screen with the orange light ray moving but it hangs there not doing anything else

bf32011-11-2213-26-37tn776.png

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think jets are better off being anti helicopter because... helicopters are amazing at being anti ground units.

Jets are useless for anything else. Since I don't pilot choppers, I sometimes forget jets are even in the game

iam220

No UMP buff!?

Really though we should return to the biggest issue: choppers are underpowered.

As someone who plays mostly on 64 players capsian and regularly gets raped by helis, I'm going to have to disagree with that. I think I die more often from helis than I do from tanks.

commish

Jets with rocket pods are great anti-vehicle weapons.

In my 10 hours or so in a ground vehicle, I can count on one hand the number of times a jet has destroyed me. I honestly cant' think of any but I'm sure it's happened. Most jet pilots don't even try.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
In my 10 hours or so in a ground vehicle, I can count on one hand the number of times a jet has destroyed me. I honestly cant' think of any but I'm sure it's happened. Most jet pilots don't even try.

A strafing run will always at least disable any vehicle. If it's in combat, it's pretty much as good as dead.

Zeppelin

Nothing in the notes on it. Unless the removal of negative mouse acceleration had something to do with it.

I don't know, man. It used to control pretty much like anything else, now it's slow as fuck and even more useless than it was. But I'm playing with relatively low sensitivity I think so maybe it's not as much of an issue for other people.

So, no jet buff with the patch? :(
Actually, jets are getting a pretty decent buff:

patch notes said:
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry
• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.
• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.

I didn't think jets needed a buff to begin with. I wonder how long it will be before everyone figures out how useful Rocket Pods are and starts complaining about overpowered jets.

So if you've been having issues with the update R9 here is what Multiplay (the GAF Server Provider) has to say about it:

Battlefield 3 - R9 Introduces New Issues
Nov 22 2011 17:59:30
It has come to our attention that the most recent server build (R9) for Battlefield 3 has introduced a slough of new problems. On the list:

• Servers have been dropping with the same apparent crash (and new ones) more frequently.
  • Servers have been dropped from Battlelog within 5 minutes of going online.
  • Unranked servers are not properly functioning.
  • PunkBuster updates appear to be unrelated and we have updated manually just in case.
Thankfully the rubberbanding does not appear to be present, but all of these issues you're seeing are 100% code-based and happening for all RSPs of Battlefield 3. We are continuing to forward crash logs to DICE and hope they will alleviate these problems quickly but are unfortunately unable to give an ETA on any fixes at this time.
We thank you for your continued patience as we work with DICE to get everyone a better BF3 experience and apologize for any inconveniences these may cause. Please note that support does unfortunately not wield any magic fix-it buttons (we wish we did!) and all we can do is advise you to restart in the cases of crashing and servers dropping off. These are DICE issues happening worldwide regardless of machine or provider.

Kyaw

Actually, jets are getting a pretty decent buff:

I didn't think jets needed a buff to begin with. I wonder how long it will be before everyone figures out how useful Rocket Pods are and starts complaining about overpowered jets.

YES. I'm BACK!

Gotta fill up those GAF servers...

Pennybags

Y'know, I still like AGMs + strafing better. If you are on target with the gun, you get more time to surprise someone.

Y'know, I still like AGMs + strafing better. If you are on target with the gun, you get more time to surprise someone.

I tried using AGMs but I get frustrated waiting for the lock. I feel like I have to get much closer to be within range and half the time the tank will pop smoke.

If you have someone painting targets with a SOFLAM then AGMs are great, but I almost never see any teammates do that. I usually have to operate solo and in that situation I'd prefer to hang back at a safe distance and launch rockets that can't be countered.

All .45 weapons got a range buff. Which makes no sense to me, because SMG's should excel in close/mid range and be dogshit at range.

Depends on what the range buff really means. Most of these notes are meaningless vagueness. If they increased the damage/range based on a close band, then the gun for a fair boost. Gun was crap at medium range, so the range buff might have helped that out. I don't know what others consider close, but up close I've had no issues with the UMP, so hoping this range buff increases it's medium capabilities which were awful before hand.

Pennybags

I tried using AGMs but I get frustrated waiting for the lock. I feel like I have to get much closer to be within range and half the time the tank will pop smoke.

If you have someone painting targets with a SOFLAM then AGMs are great, but I almost never see any teammates do that. I usually have to operate solo and in that situation I'd prefer to hang back at a safe distance and launch rockets that can't be countered.

I use Beam Scanning which takes all the hassle out of locking. Also, I almost never see smoke working. Tanks pop smoke in response to my missiles all the time, but I still get a hit for some reason.

Often, the missile strikes a tank but the hit indicator doesn't show.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Until they add the option to disable rumble it means I can't use jets or helicopters because the vibration noise on my desk when I'm not using my pad is too annoying.

Thanks, DICE.

I wonder if anyone was even clamoring for rumble. All it's going to do is waste batteries on wireless pads and annoy everyone who has it set aside.

scogoth

Well was hoping to post some 3D BF3 footage but it seems fraps doesn't like BF3's 3D. Anyone know of another program capable of recording 3D footage?

Rainy Dog

All .45 weapons got a range buff. Which makes no sense to me, because SMG's should excel in close/mid range and be dogshit at range.

They needed it though, I feel. People were claiming the Scar as being overpowered because it did one bullet more damage than other weapons. But the PP2000 takes ten bullets to kill at long range, which is pretty damn extreme really! Especially at 600rpm.

I'd say it should be 8 bullets max and 3 at close range. Same for the UMP.

I use Beam Scanning which takes all the hassle out of locking. Also, I almost never see smoke working. Tanks pop smoke in response to my missiles all the time, but I still get a hit for some reason.

Often, the missile strikes a tank but the hit indicator doesn't show.

Hmm, I haven't tried the AGM + Beam Scanning combo.

Does it usually only disable tanks? With Rocket Pods I can usually start firing from far enough back that I can get two rocket salvos in and completely destroy a tank.

I also like keeping Air Radar, it helps me avoid enemy jets and take them out more easily. Plus, if I make a low strafing run I can usually spot a tank on my radar to target on my next pass.

I'll give AGM + Beam Scanning a try next time I'm on.

Pennybags

Hmm, I haven't tried the AGM + Beam Scanning combo.

Does it usually only disable tanks? With Rocket Pods I can usually start firing from far enough back that I can get two rocket salvos in and completely destroy a tank.

I also like keeping Air Radar, it helps me avoid enemy jets and take them out more easily. Plus, if I make a low strafing run I can usually spot a tank on my radar to target on my next pass.

I'll give AGM + Beam Scanning a try next time I'm on.

Depends on how many shots you get in with the gun. Non-lazed tanks take 33% damage from the missile.

I guess the thing I like about them is that you don't have to be as focused to use them. It is also easier to hit targets that are near cover objects/you wouldn't even notice or are harder to notice by eyesight alone.

I haven't used rockets very much. Probably because I haven't really learned to anticipate where they'll travel.

Edit: Also, you can lock onto individual people using SOFLAM or mortars, haha. They never expect it.

RotBot

Depends on how many shots you get in with the gun. Non-lazed tanks take 33% damage from the missile.

I guess the thing I like about them is that you don't have to be as focused to use them. It is also easier to hit targets that are near cover objects/you wouldn't even notice or are harder to notice by eyesight alone.
On a normal server, randomly hitting Q will light up vehicles you can't see. I only use guided missiles on hardcore servers that don't have 3D spotting.

I haven't used rockets very much. Probably because I haven't really learned to anticipate where they'll travel.
The rockets travel in a straight line towards your crosshair without any gravity drop. Same with the chopper. They're a lot easier to use than in BC2. Leading tanks is only challenging from very far away. And you'll have a 2nd volley of rockets ready once you're close if you're starting from that far.

mcp

Neo Member
The ATGMs also one shot jeeps which they never ever expect. Does a jeep even get a lock on warning?

I still prefer rocket pods over them though. You can hit tanks from a long way off using them even more so if people are spotting vechicles. Also I find the massive streams of tracers coming from a tunguska invaluable in spotting those sneaky bastards.

I've found lately that I prefer flares over extinguisher. I can do a lot more damage to ground targets when I can shrug off the first lock.

commish

I'm pretty sure I'll never level up support or recon. Every time I try, I seem to get owned or just not do as well as normal, and I get annoyed and switch back to assault to get even/capture shit. I tried the Metro maps but I couldn't find a no-rocket server and got tired of eating rockets. I think Bazaar might be the best compromise.

nitric0

I'm pretty sure I'll never level up support or recon. Every time I try, I seem to get owned or just not do as well as normal, and I get annoyed and switch back to assault to get even/capture shit. I tried the Metro maps but I couldn't find a no-rocket server and got tired of eating rockets. I think Bazaar might be the best compromise.

M249 + C4's and you'll be set vs infantry and vehicles/tanks :D! Make sure to get the Sprint perk equipped as well :p

Kak.efes

I thought this before using the USAS-12. Not so much after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom