• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even front, on Conquest I pretty much set up a mine field around every choke point near some bases. Like CQ on Grand Bazaar? Market and Square are no driving zones like 4 minutes into the match. It's a massacre.
I like going to just outside the enemy base and setting up patches of mines everywhere I can.

>_>

They drive out of spawn and BOOM.

I've been kicked for it from a few server but fucks those admins. I wasn't in the "YOU CAN'T COME HERE ZONE" so it's fair play. If people are too stupid to not look for mines just because it's just out of spawn that's their problem. Legit tactic.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I like going to just outside the enemy base and setting up patches of mines everywhere I can.

>_>

They drive out of spawn and BOOM.

I've been kicked for it from a few server but fucks those admins. I wasn't in the "YOU CAN'T COME HERE ZONE" so it's fair play. If people are too stupid to not look for mines just because it's just out of spawn that's their problem. Legit tactic.

Yea, this is super easy to do on Grand Bazaar once your team has Square or Market, depending on the team you're on. Just straight up fucking massacred.

I sometimes even like to take the hit when I see a tank coming. Let that fucker run me over, but just before, I set the mine down. BOOM, roasted bitch.

Daigoro

You have a lot of hostility towards mine planters.

Mine would hug you. Let them embrace you, baby. You can be together with my beautiful mines.

i do. i do indeed.

i think they are cheap, take no skill to use, and are OP (becaue they are unlimited and i cant locate them -on 360 anyways).

i would have way less problems with them if they were like back in BC2. at least i had some defense against them.

no means NO! i dont want to be raped by your mines. i am defenseless!

SpeedingUptoStop

i do. i do indeed.

i think they are cheap, take no skill to use, and are OP (becaue they are unlimited and i cant locate them -on 360 anyways).

i would have way less problems with them if they were like back in BC2. at least i had some defense against them.

no means NO! i dont want to be raped by your mines. i am defenseless!

Your only defense is to leap out of a jeep before driving through critical choke points. That's the only defense muahahahahahah!!!

Ubersnug

Engie's don't get limitless mines. Seems the most anyone can lay at any one time is 6. Plant any more and your first mine will disappear etc

And mines definately don't show up with IRNV on the 360. Instead, I can usually see mines without any assistance but thats assuming I'm paying attention. Failing that, fire a shell into the general area if I'm in doubt.

Engie's don't get limitless mines. Seems the most anyone can lay at any one time is 6. Plant any more and your first mine will disappear etc

And mines definately don't show up with IRNV on the 360. Instead, I can usually see mines without any assistance but thats assuming I'm paying attention. Failing that, fire a shell into the general area if I'm in doubt.
No you definitely get limitess. Early in games I plant mines, suicide, respawn and plant more.

By the end of some games I have dozens of mines down.

It's not fair but it's great fun so suck it up boys :D

Makoto

No you definitely get limitess. Early in games I plant mines, suicide, respawn and plant more.

I could understand the mine abuse if Engineers had to choose between a launcher or mines, but instead they get both. Another aspect of this game that makes me wonder just wtf DICE was thinking.

Ubersnug

Are you sure?

I'm convinced I started to see my first lot of 6 mines start to disappear as I planted more than the original 6.

SpeedingUptoStop

It's possibly to go a whole game just laying down mines and firing rockets at planes/helis. Not even shoot anybody and get double digit kills. Shit is crazy.

It's possibly to go a whole game just laying down mines and firing rockets at planes/helis. Not even shoot anybody and get double digit kills. Shit is crazy.
I think this is pretty awesome, personally. The shooting in BF3 isn't top tier, so what brings me back is taking on the vehicles and playing it in ways I don't usually play FPS online (eg, just shooting people).

I would agree that really the mine thing needs to be fixed, I think being able to plant two lots would be fair considering how big some of the maps are. 6 mines + 8 rockets per life, with a maximum of 12 mines allowed to be planted.

The day they fuck with the engineer and nerf him too much is the day I stop playing the game.

SpeedingUptoStop

A Map like Dharmavand Peak, which is fairly shit to begin with, needs an engineer class with mines to balance out the fucking crazy power tanks and shit will have. Places like Kharg Island or Grand Bazaar though? Lol. Good luck driving anywhere, pal. I'm the MVP of the match because of people like you.

Daigoro

A Map like Dharmavand Peak, which is fairly shit to begin with, needs an engineer class with mines to balance out the fucking crazy power tanks and shit will have. Places like Kharg Island or Grand Bazaar though? Lol. Good luck driving anywhere, pal. I'm the MVP of the match because of people like you.

people who like to drive vehicles you mean? yeah its awesome taking out 1/3 of the actual gameplay because of some broken shit.

also bullshit about Davamand. other tanks, rockets, and c4 are plenty. mines are overkill.

people who like to drive vehicles you mean? yeah its awesome taking out 1/3 of the actual gameplay because of some broken shit.

also bullshit about Davamand. other tanks, rockets, and c4 are plenty. mines are overkill.
It's pretty easy to take out mines. They're not that hard to spot. When I'm in a tank I'm very aware of them (for obvious reasons) and blow up a lot. I can't remember the last time I was killed by a mine.

Jeeps are pretty much built for off-road so on maps that you can do that, you should.

I'm also not getting as many kills with them as I used to, so the thermal must be getting used a lot more now.

Like I said, it should be fixed, but if you're aware of your surroundings and don't speed into a location you shouldn't get killed by them often. The splash damage of a shell takes out a lot of mines.

SpeedingUptoStop

I feel like a dick using mines, but I love it too much, especially tracking an enemy from a cliff, watching them just driving straight down the center of the road. Hell, I love driving into mines myself sometimes, it's so god damn sudden. It's all just very "hm hm hm, going about my day, bout to capture this CQ area KA BOOM AWWWW SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET"

Enkidu

One thing that needs to be fixed with the mines is that you should be able to spot them. I'm fairly certain you could do this in BF2 so I don't get why they took it out. There's so many times where I've been a gunner in a tank and had to bail out and watch the tank explode because there was no way for me to tell the driver about the mines. I also wish there was a good way to get rid of mines without explosives. It's so frustrating to have to leave all the mines, knowing that there's nothing you can do about it.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ha!
Was able to turn the entire Hud off (even flags and teammate name tags)
I'm even able to mess with how the ANT animation system works. Soooo many commands to tweak!

*Disclaimer - Graphics in this photo havent been changed from default
iblm9gnk33LIOE.png

Kak.efes

What's generally considered the best support gun? M249, or M240B? Since those are the only two people in this thread ever seem to bring up.

Soma

What's generally considered the best support gun? M249, or M240B? Since those are the only two people in this thread ever seem to bring up.

Apparently the M249 is the best. I haven't had as much success with the 240B.

I dunno about most people but the PKP is my bread and butter when it comes to Support. It's mostly a personal preference but i love that gun.

Rapstah

One thing that needs to be fixed with the mines is that you should be able to spot them. I'm fairly certain you could do this in BF2 so I don't get why they took it out. There's so many times where I've been a gunner in a tank and had to bail out and watch the tank explode because there was no way for me to tell the driver about the mines. I also wish there was a good way to get rid of mines without explosives. It's so frustrating to have to leave all the mines, knowing that there's nothing you can do about it.

Agreed.

I also have blown up mines by sniper rifle at least twice, so heavy non-explosive weapons can take them out.

eek5

Are you on 360? Someone said the mines don't glow under IFV in the 360 version.

I can see them with thermal optics on PS3 but that doesn't make them any less broken.

Engineers get unlimited mines (8*how many times they respawn), they stay until they're blown up, you can't shoot them with pistol and/or they have too much health, you can no longer spot them for you team, they no longer show up with proximity scan, the only way to see them very well is with a high level vehicle unlock or a thermal sight into vehicle glitch, just 1 pretty much disables your tank.. Shit is straight up broken

eek5

M249 > M60 > M240B imo. The M240B has higher recoil and a decent fire rate. On paper it is the best in terms of DPS but it is hard to land shots imo. M60 has the slowest ROF and same damage as M240B but the slower ROF makes it more manageable imo. The M249 is still the best though even though it takes more bullets to kill at long range, the recoil is super manageable and you can basically drag shot a 10-15 round burst without too much trouble.

If/when the M249 gets nerfed I'll just move to M60. I actually have a higher kill/min on it anyway.

Odrion

Banned
i do. i do indeed.

i think they are cheap, take no skill to use, and are OP
the cheap shall inherent the earth, it's the rule of online multiplayer :V

but honestly please don't nerf infrared scopes it's the only way I can have my cake and eat it too (playing the game with all the beautiful-yet-distracting filters and effects)

Also Engineers would be at a good place if the ammo/explosive perk didn't exist. It took their supposed weakness (no access to ammo) and made it irrelevant. :mad:

Smokey

Smokey you run this in 3D yet? Curious to see how two 580s handle Ultra with 3D.

Not yet. I'll get to it tomorrow. Just finished an epic 1.5 hr session with the game. I imagine I'll probably be at 60fps with it on. Pretty much every game I play in 3D hits that (Crysis 2, Witcher 2 etc). I'll keep ya posted.

I haven't had any problems with the patch, and as I mentioned I've had some long sessions off and on today. That's the sort of shit thing about PC gaming. The various amounts of hardware/accessories can cause people to have all types of issues.

Binabik15

Damn, getting a lot of connection errors and EA disconnects now.

Just wanted to play a bit after getting back from the doc, but the only game I could get in was dominated by one high level guy. I think I´ll have to wait for the kiddies to finish school.

Zeppelin

Mines? I've got 256 anti explosive ribbons... Mines are free points.

312 here. :p But yes, mines aren't a problem once you've got thermal optics and getting there doesn't take a lot of time. The only tricky ones are the ones found in a cluster of friendly mines. Plus they make it so much more interesting to strap a jeep full of C4 and set sail towards the enemy armor!

Binabik15

Damn, getting a lot of connection errors and EA disconnects now.

Just wanted to play a bit after getting back from the doc, but the only game I could get in was dominated by one high level guy. I think I´ll have to wait for the kiddies to finish school.

Yep, could just play a roud and crashed after that. Lol, worst patch ever (for me).

The two are the most popular machine guns it seems. I prefer the 249 simply because I have pretty much everything unlocked for it, but once I get more unlocked in the 240B I have to see.

What an odd oversight by DICE (one of several it seems). How does a developer make such a strange mistake between different platforms? Is it simply a matter of forgetting to "turn it on" or a technical issue?

Are you sure?

I'm convinced I started to see my first lot of 6 mines start to disappear as I planted more than the original 6.

you're right about being able to plant six at a time and them disappearing when you plant more.

the thing is, when you die and respawn, you can plant more mines, and the ones you planted in a previous life don't disappear, only the ones you're currently planting, so you can plant six more. rinse, repeat.

What an odd oversight by DICE (one of several it seems). How does a developer make such a strange mistake between different platforms? Is it simply a matter of forgetting to "turn it on" or a technical issue?

No one really would know, the intention is there for them to glow it even says so in the loading screen tips, but it could just be a code conflict thats causing them not to glow on 360.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mines? I've got 256 anti explosive ribbons... Mines are free points.

The problem is getting those points, though. Waste a grenade? Or you have to be a sniper to do it. You can't pistol/primary shoot them like you could in BC2.

That's another "WTF, DICE?" thing about mines. You can't spot them to let people know.

Are you sure?

Yes. There's a "bug" that if you die you can replant another six even if the six in a past life hasn't been touched.

It wouldn't be a problem if Engineers had to take mines and the repair tool/EOD bot over one of the RPG's.

Binabik15

77 DAO-12 kills, 75 of them today. O M G. This is super fun. My performance tanked hard after getting frag rounds, though. And I won't even talk about the round on Canals I tried it with the ACOG, urgh. I just got it, so of course I wanted to try it, but those tight container areas are nooot good for that. I´m better with buck shot, as I said, but sometimes the game goes full retard with frags, so i´ts more fun. *BAM* Recon flies into the wall around the stairs and only his legs are left, *bam* Engi flies 20 meters up in the air and his limp bdy almost hits me, *bam* car explodes and I nearly kill myself.

Question: With Extended mags I get 2x12 shot mags? That's it? Without extended I have 42 or so shots, so I´m wasting half my ammo for less reloading?

I ran around with suppression, tac light, frags and the holo, but the tac light gave me away quite often, I'm not sure about that. Maybe once there's a life-overarching on/off toggle.

Edit: Looking through battlelog, wondering why I didn´t get that MVP3 ribbon despite having the 3rd highest points, I see that I was aim king in almost every game. Lol.

Weird, I shot a dude when the screen was flashing white and after the round I had the kill and was third, but on battlelog it shows one less kill and I´m fourth *shakes fist*

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ha!
Was able to turn the entire Hud off (even flags and teammate name tags)
I'm even able to mess with how the ANT animation system works. Soooo many commands to tweak!

*Disclaimer - Graphics in this photo havent been changed from default

Anyway you can turn off only the fracking chat box?

RS4-

77 DAO-12 kills, 75 of them today. O M G. This is super fun. My performance tanked hard after getting frag rounds, though. And I won't even talk about the round on Canals I tried it with the ACOG, urgh. I just got it, so of course I wanted to try it, but those tight container areas are nooot good for that. I´m better with buck shot, as I said, but sometimes the game goes full retard with frags, so i´ts more fun. *BAM* Recon flies into the wall around the stairs and only his legs are left, *bam* Engi flies 20 meters up in the air and his limp bdy almost hits me, *bam* car explodes and I nearly kill myself.

Question: With Extended mags I get 2x12 shot mags? That's it? Without extended I have 42 or so shots, so I´m wasting half my ammo for less reloading?

I ran around with suppression, tac light, frags and the holo, but the tac light gave me away quite often, I'm not sure about that. Maybe once there's a life-overarching on/off toggle.

Edit: Looking through battlelog, wondering why I didn´t get that MVP3 ribbon despite having the 3rd highest points, I see that I was aim king in almost every game. Lol.

Weird, I shot a dude when the screen was flashing white and after the round I had the kill and was third, but on battlelog it shows one less kill and I´m fourth *shakes fist*

I'm not a fan of frag rounds, where one shot would have taken down someone, I need two frags to do so unless I get the HS.

Binabik15

I'm not a fan of frag rounds, where one shot would have taken down someone, I need two frags to do so unless I get the HS.

Yeah, but they DO look badass. And I killed some guys in another building and from far away (that one got a headshot). So if I wasn´t such a bad shot, maybe frag rounds would make me better. I´m not that good, though, but they´re still fun. No idea, but today shotgunning was a blast, every other day sucked. Now I can get to level Recon once I´m done with Assault and Support and use the DAO in other game modes, so the day was a success.

Maybe playing TDM on Firestorm and Metro helped...dat containers. Canals would´ve been nice as well, but I was totally done and couldn´t hit the broadside of a barn.

EVIL

I wish the little icon for friendly mines would be way bigger and have less of a dramatic fall off where you don't see it if you stand more then 5 meters from a friendly mine. I now frequently witness friendly tanks or LAV's destroy my mines, publicly (chatbox) wondering why they don't get any points.

edit: so yeah, perfect mines would be

* larger icon for friendly mines, or friendlies not being able to destroy them
* ability to spot enemy mines
* ability to take them out with a any gun.
* IRV glow fix for 360

littleornothin

Neo Member
I wish the little icon for friendly mines would be way bigger and have less of a dramatic fall off where you don't see it if you stand more then 5 meters from a friendly mine. I now frequently witness friendly tanks or LAV's destroy my mines, publicly (chatbox) wondering why they don't get any points.

They do show up on mini map..

On another note: shotgun frags can set off AT mines as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom