• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVIL

How many people can three C4 explosives kill? I managed to sneak by B objective on metro conquest, lace C objective with C4 (American side), and waited for everyone to backtrack. There were five guys in the blast radius, but I only got three kills.

I unleashed on the remaining two with the USAS, made quick work of them. Definitely one of my finer moments.

might be guys who had flack perk on (those who survived). but you can get multi kills (5+) with one c4 brick if they are packed close together

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Maybe this is worthy of its own thread?

PS3 users will get Battlefield 1943 for free:

http://1943redemption.battlefield.com/

November 26th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Europe

December 10th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony America

December 17th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan

But... I already own it. Damn it EA, just give me $15 credit back.

Finally had a moment where stealing a vehicle did something good.

Got to enemy-controlled point B in Operation Firestorm all alone (all squads were full ;_;). Peeked outside and saw an enemy tank so I backed down a bit, but then I saw the driver jump out to repair it. I gunned the driver down then stole the tank, then I saw that he actually had a bunch of team mates in front of the tank

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM 8 kills. They didn't know WTF was happening. They probably thought the driver was team-killing because the server had FF on.

I tried to be a sniper today. Two things I learned:

1) The default sniper is underpowered as shit if you're not a sniper master, I rarely got a kill even with two direct shots.
2) It feels fucking great to snipe a heli pilot and see it crash to the ground.

TheSeks

1) The default sniper is underpowered as shit if you're not a sniper master, I rarely got a kill even with two direct shots.

You mean the SVD/MK11? Once you get the KOBRA (or whatever the red dot with circle is) sight, they become really good at mid-range support engagements. You do have to pump three shots at someone but that's okay: Because once you know you hit them spam another two shots and they're dead. Closer is one-two shots.

It also helps them on Operation Metro in the tunnels. I had a long "hallway" view in the tunnel inner tunnel area of second set Rush. I could see people that you probably wouldn't see/hit with non-sniper guns. Helped with suppressing/pushing them back.

I think I'll be a sniper more often on Damavand, which is where I was trying it out mostly. A good map for it. I like to think that I helped my team push forward when I was sniping in the tunnel.

I also want to unlock the cute little flying robot to see what I can do with that ^_^

Who woulda thought after 35 hours I finally want to try something other than SCAR/RPG/Mines? >_>

Bradach

Finally had a moment where stealing a vehicle did something good.

Got to enemy-controlled point B in Operation Firestorm all alone (all squads were full ;_;). Peeked outside and saw an enemy tank so I backed down a bit, but then I saw the driver jump out to repair it. I gunned the driver down then stole the tank, then I saw that he actually had a bunch of team mates in front of the tank

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM 8 kills. They didn't know WTF was happening. They probably thought the driver was team-killing because the server had FF on.

nice. i love when stuff like that happens. its such a rush!

It seems like the laser pointer for helis is borked just like the Javelin. I'm using it on the scout heli with ATGMs, and 9 times out of 10 it misses after the pointer gets a lock.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Guys, would this stick be good for BF3? The 360 pad is fine for strafing targets with rockets but trying to fine tune shots against jets and infantry with the main guns is really starting to be a problem.

This game is glorious when you're on a good team. For three or four Rush matches, my team of randoms completely steamrolled the other team. People just knew their roles. Enemy aircraft was almost always spotted, teammates would be parachuting out of choppers directly over the MCOMs, and usually we'd have both the MCOMs armed within seconds of starting a match.

It was fantastic. Makes me wish I could find a good team to play with all the time, and not just depend on the luck of the draw.

TheSeks

>>G3 sux<<

What? No, no it doesn't. Maybe the nerf did a number on it's damage, but it's still a beast. Lrn2BC2G3 it.

Also the FN P90 is a pure beast.

Binabik15

Damn, my brother is playing on a knife+pistol only server and half the enemy team are lvl 40+ dudes gunning people down with G3s and Sv98s. How fucking dickish do you have to be to play on a special server and ruin it for everyone else? Probably micropenis owners.

I was on a server that killed everyone using a forbidden weapon (rockets+40mm grenades) and publically announced their dead in the chat box. So awesome.

Damn, my brother is playing on a knife+pistol only server and half the enemy team are lvl 40+ dudes gunning people down with G3s and Sv98s. How fucking dickish do you have to be to play on a special server and ruin it for everyone else? Probably micropenis owners.

I was on a server that killed everyone using a forbidden weapon (rockets+40mm grenades) and publically announced their dead in the chat box. So awesome.
I was on a flight school server where the rules stated not to engage unless you asked so as would be pilots could learn. Needless to say, everybody was boosting.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How do you turn off the hud?

UI.DrawEnable doesn't work for me, the console doesn't even "find" the command

Woo-Fu

Banned
Guys, would this stick be good for BF3? The 360 pad is fine for strafing targets with rockets but trying to fine tune shots against jets and infantry with the main guns is really starting to be a problem.
Stick won't make any difference with that unless it is working at a different sensitivity relative to the pad, a different sensitivity that makes it easier for you to fine tune.

You can do that without buying a new stick. :)

Zinthar

So is there any way to actually get points while flying a jet or helicopter that you don't have an IR flares for (i.e. if you're new to the game). Every time I pilot something, although I have no issues with flying it properly (I play the PC version and just use the 360 controller for the flying), I end up getting destroyed by heat-seaking missiles within 10 seconds (sometimes as little as 4 seconds, literally) from higher-level players who use a simple heat-seeker against me.

I'll never understand the progression system in DICE games -- it's like they want to punish you for not playing the game for 2 hours per day from the day of release by ensuring that new players are out-gunned and can't use any of the vehicles effectively.

Obviously I find this infuriating, but am willing to give the game a chance based on the idea that it could be fun when I actually get decent gear. Are there any good ways to just spam a ton of points to get the unlocks without actually having to go head-to-head against an opponent with far superior weaponry, especially with regard to vehicles?

Edit: Better question -- is there just a way to play against people at my own level on the PC version? The major downside of the server browser (like with any server browser) seems to be that there's no way to do that.

Try playing Rush mode on either Kharg or Caspian, where there's A10s and SU25s. The airspace is less congested, and you can get points quickly for killing tanks to unlock some goodies.

My defense for avoiding missiles when they're fired at me and I'm not equipped with flares is to fly away from where you think they've been fired from, then after a second or two do a quick 180 and fly towards the missle. Do a steep climb or dive with afterburners after you do the 180, and I find that they miss more often than not.

Edit: What i described works better on ground-fired missiles. If I see a plane coming towards me on the minimap, I immediately turn towards them and try to close the distance before they get lock. Couple that with a dive and slight turn to throw off their aim.

Heh I checked the leaderboards and I'm in the top 100 worldwide for kills in an aircraft :)

rvy

Banned

Why are BF 3 patches so big? Seriously? This is the first time I saw a patch over 8Mb for a 360 game. They already had a 100Mb+ patch on the release day.
This better come with some SP bug fixes.

Just tried a Hardcore server and sniping is much better there. Solved this issue completely.

If I'm in a sniping mood I'm going on a HC server for sure.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Stick won't make any difference with that unless it is working at a different sensitivity relative to the pad, a different sensitivity that makes it easier for you to fine tune.

You can do that without buying a new stick. :)

I would imagine it's much easier aiming with an actual flight stick instead of just my thumb :p

BF3 has also kind of gotten me interested in playing more flight games.

rvy

Banned
Maybe this is worthy of its own thread?

PS3 users will get Battlefield 1943 for free:

http://1943redemption.battlefield.com/

November 26th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Europe

December 10th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony America

December 17th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan
Fucking horseshit, I wasn't planning on buying this before Christmas.

SolidPain

Neo Member
I haven't played the game for a couple of days and now (after installing the new update) I am stuck at the 'joining server' whenever I want to join a game. Is this a common problem? Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I haven't been following the thread.

Nevermind it is working now.

Smokey

Scogoth:

Tried Battlefield 3 SP in 3D as you asked. I did the jet mission and then Operation Guillotine (1st half). On the jet mission I got 40fps while on carrier, in the air it was at 60fps. Guillotine it was minimum 40fps got as high as 50fps. All Ultra settings, 2x 3GB 580s. Talk about visual and sensory overload :O. Twas pretty sweet.

There you go :p

MNC

Just went through and I dont see anything that's specific for chatbox enable/disable.
:/ Will keep searching though. About to try and dig deeper

EDIT:
Might have found a way to disable colorcorrection though! Seems more likely that I'll be able to adjust though. Crosssing fingers

I was just wondering about color correction. Was looking at the FXAA injector for skyrim and thought BF3 actually has pretty ugly color correction. Too cold at times.

TheSeks

So is there any way to actually get points while flying a jet or helicopter that you don't have an IR flares for (i.e. if you're new to the game). Every time I pilot something, although I have no issues with flying it properly (I play the PC version and just use the 360 controller for the flying), I end up getting destroyed by heat-seaking missiles within 10 seconds (sometimes as little as 4 seconds, literally) from higher-level players who use a simple heat-seeker against me.

I'll never understand the progression system in DICE games -- it's like they want to punish you for not playing the game for 2 hours per day from the day of release by ensuring that new players are out-gunned and can't use any of the vehicles effectively.

Obviously I find this infuriating, but am willing to give the game a chance based on the idea that it could be fun when I actually get decent gear. Are there any good ways to just spam a ton of points to get the unlocks without actually having to go head-to-head against an opponent with far superior weaponry, especially with regard to vehicles?

Edit: Better question -- is there just a way to play against people at my own level on the PC version? The major downside of the server browser (like with any server browser) seems to be that there's no way to do that.

Find flight school servers, which is eaiser to fly on than PS3 servers where you can't have people on even ground/learning.

That said: Be a commander, set an attack/defend order with a good team you'll get +10/+20's for the order, spot people. +10's. Eventually those will start to wrack up even if you get taken out, so long as you're in the jet while getting those points, they'll go to your jet/helicopter unlocks.

Spl1nter

The NeoGAF Multiplay server has expired. This means the mumble server we have been using that is associated with the multiplay server has been disconnected as well. We are going to transition to using the NeoGAF mumble which contains a Battlefield channel.

IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739

I asked Alan Kertz (Demize99) about Recon balancing on Reddit:

Me said:
Can you tell us how much time people are spending playing Recon? I'd wager its considerably less than 25% (probably close to 10%).

Alan Kertz said:
It's not 25%, but it's more than double 10%. Frankly, I'm rather pleased with the class balance. Its still early to go through numbers, but if any class needs a buff it would be Support. Assault is still the #1.

Reddit Thread

What's interesting is the fact that 20-24% of people are playing Recon at any one time, which contradicts my anecdotal evidence that Recon is very unpopular (though that could be because I mainly play CQ and Recons are more common in Rush).

I expected Engineers to be the most played class, but Alan says its Assault, again an interesting difference from my online experience.

Lastly, he says that if any class were to get a buff it'd be Support. I feel it should be Recon, and then maybe Support, but Demize99 obviously sees it differently.

I don't see why support would need a buff when he's already got claymores, C4s and freaking mortars. Not to mention it's so easy to rack points by just laying down ammo packs. Only thing easier than that is going defib assault in 64 player metro conquest.

I really wish there was a demo for this game, do you guys think I can run this game at all, Intel E8400 @ 3ghz., 2GB ram and Nvidia 9800GT.

I really want this tonight with the sales =\

TheSeks

Demize said:
It's not 25%, but it's more than double 10%. Frankly, I'm rather pleased with the class balance. Its still early to go through numbers, but if any class needs a buff it would be Support. Assault is still the #1.

What? No. Snipers are mostly "fine" in a balance sense, I guess. But their point totals are WAAAAAAY out of line with the other classes and that's why most people do engineer (besides it being easy mode. *sigh*) in comparison to the other three.

Liferebooted said:
I really wish there was a demo for this game, do you guys think I can run this game at all, Intel E8400 @ 3ghz., 2GB ram and Nvidia 9800GT.

You need 4 gigs minimum, don't you?

What? No. Snipers are mostly "fine" in a balance sense, I guess. But their point totals are WAAAAAAY out of line with the other classes and that's why most people do engineer (besides it being easy mode. *sigh*) in comparison to the other three.

How do you figure engineer is easier mode than assault with medkit revive spam on maps like conquest and grand bazaar, or support for the same reasons just with ammo crates? My buddy is leveling assault right now, and he'll regularly go like 3-26 and get the mvp.

You need 4 gigs minimum, don't you?

It says 2gb min but I'm not sure if thats a lie so they sell more, lol. I dunno if it matters but bad company 2 runs great on my pc some how.

big_z

i have the same computer but with 4GB and a 9800gtx. the game is unplayable online even with everything on low. you might be able to play single player although it wont be smooth all the time.

the minimum system requirements dice put out are based on single player. for multiplayer you really need something closer to the recommended.

TheSeks

How do you figure engineer is easier mode than assault with medkit revive spam on maps like conquest and grand bazaar, or support for the same reasons just with ammo crates? My buddy is leveling assault right now, and he'll regularly go like 3-26 and get the mvp.

RPG with explosive perk = 9 RPG-7 ammo. Spam RPG-7 ammo at infantry = 900 points. Do that per life, it starts to rank up.

Not to mention if you get good at carbines or the PDW's you can rip through people even at long range (set the AKS-74U to single-shot, tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap quickly and dead person at mid-long range if they don't notice/get into cover, otherwise suppress bonus if you spot them before open firing and someone gets to them)

Engineer is an easy mode class because it gets ALL the points and is useful in most any situation you can throw them at. Why do you think people run around as Engineer 24/7 now a days instead of recons?

Assault only gets MVP if they're on the ball and reviving safely. Same with their guns. Same with Support and their ammo pack. In fact, all three classes are a MUCH EASIER time leveling their shit than a recon does. It's hilarious. It's taken me about 80 hours spreading my time between all the classes to get them ALL to 1 service star/max their kits out (and I just did that today), probably 40-50 of those hours was spent having to slowly level recon since spot assist are 10 points while getting kills is about 100. Not good with the lopsided sniper damage for the semi-autos.

It says 2gb min but I'm not sure if thats a lie so they sell more, lol. I dunno if it matters but bad company 2 runs great on my pc some how.

If BC2 runs, I'm sure BF3 will on low, but Frostbite 2.0 is a revamp so I can't honestly say. For $30 it can't hurt to see? AFAIK PC doesn't have an online pass so you could just return it/exchange it later I guess? Or sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom