• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things that need to be in the next patch... fix the light of god (flashlight), since it didn't make it into this one, and the recharge time for flares because flares+stealth+semi decent pilot=never shot down. By the time the second shot is fired, the flares have already recharged. It's a serious problem and I don't understand why more people aren't complaining about it (probably because of the flashlight problem distracting them.)

Next patch details.

First, just to reassure, Daniel Matros, Global Community Manager at DICE has once again stated that though changes to the flashlight and IRNV “didn’t make it in this one,” they will be “coming with the next.” This should hopefully put out the fire burning in many BF fans’ eyes. On top of this, he was also asked if there are any plans to change the chatbox on PC, to which Matros responded, “there are plans to that, yes.” As for issues players are experiencing with the servers, Matros mentioned that he has “raised this with our team here.” I think we can all agree DICE wants us to play their game and so they will be doing everything in their power to make sure these game-restricting issues will be dealt with. On the topic of upset fans, Matros had this to say: “I think people have different opinions as to what Battlefield 3 should be. We’ve gathered fantastic feedback though.” Make sure to keep the feedback (hopefully constructive) coming.

Updated: On Reddit, Ian Tornay, EA Community Manager for Battlefield 3, has also cleared up many concerns that fans are having with the recent patch. This should also give a good idea as to what will be included in the next Battlefield 3 patch.

So, here’s what I’m seeing.

We’ve made progress that most of you appreciate and the fixes we are making are welcome. That being said, there are still some issues that you’ve been asking about that weren’t included in this patch. These include, but are not limited to:

In-game VOIP
Various nerfs including Taclight
changes to chat window (size, positioning)
Additional changes to squad interface, including the ability to make squads
Beep beeps (Which will be implemented, just not in this patch)
Squad and in-game interface changes (mostly revolving around the proposed fan-designed interface)
EDIT: TV Missles – definitely known (can’t believe i left it off)
EDIT: Spectator/Battlerecorder - Another very popular request. (I can’t believe I left it off! I’d like this too)
Please know that these are definitely on our radar as top issues for community requests.

Some of the issues addressed in this patch were brought to our attention by you guys, including the “negative acceleration” issue. We’re committed to continuing to act on your feedback!

Not all of the issues we’ve solved are as impactful or sexy as some of you were hoping for, but I hope everyone appreciates how hard the DICE team has been working.

Jagxyz

USAS with frag rounds: WTF kind of glorified grenade launcher is this?

It is awesome.

I've heard good things about frag rounds, but when I tried em on my 870, they seemed weaker than the regular buckshot.

Is it different for the other shotguns?

Makoto

I've heard good things about frag rounds, but when I tried em on my 870, they seemed weaker than the regular buckshot.

Yes, particularly with the USAS since it's a semi-auto shotgun, so they are spammable.

Zeppelin

I don't know if they're weaker but they are definitely not stronger. The only thing they do is add suppression at the cost of reduced accuracy. It's pretty useful if you get a flank on a group of enemies, they won't be able to see a god-damn thing.

Does anyone else get this wonky hit detection for defibs?

There's been several times where I spammed defib on a revivable body and it just wouldn't register even if I'm already crawling.

Yup. The defib is pretty much broken. It doesn't matter if the game show the skull icon or the EKG icon, sometimes you can revive, sometimes you cannot. And sometimes all it takes is one try, other times it takes 4 or 5. Maybe there's something to that mechanic that I don't understand but I find it rather odd that something that relatively simple doesn't work flawlessly.

CatPee

I don't know if they're weaker but they are definitely not stronger. The only thing they do is add suppression. It's pretty useful if you get a flank on a group of enemies, they won't be able to see a god-damn thing.

The other thing they do is add some massive range and splash damage compared to buckshots. Just shoot in the general direction of an enemy or at the ground near him and it's an easy +100.

Soma

I don't know if they're weaker but they are definitely not stronger. The only thing they do is add suppression. It's pretty useful if you get a flank on a group of enemies, they won't be able to see a god-damn thing.

And especially with the Squad Suppression perk it's pretty much like being shot at by an LAV.

JoeMartin

Frag rounds are all around the best, even on the 870.

Damage comes in two parts, the projectile and the explosion. The projectile does max 60 damage up to 10m tapering to 34 from 10m to 50m (the longest diminished range of any shotgun round). The explosion happens at the impact point and does 40 damage at impact to 0.5m from impact, tapering to 0 damage at 3m.

So basically if you hit someone with the round at 10m or less it's a one hit kill - same as slugs and buckshot. The advantage to frag rounds is that they perform ridiculously superior to other rounds at range in terms of damage. Regardless of the range you are at it will take a maximum of two hits to kill someone with frag. The biggest disadvantage is that the projectile speed is much slower than slug/buckshot - but that can be compensated for by the player. Also they cause a fuckload of suppression.

Also usas frag abuse is hamosaxuel.

Zeppelin

The other thing they do is add some massive range and splash damage compared to buckshots. Just shoot in the general direction of an enemy or at the ground near him and it's an easy +100.

Well, the description doesn't say anything about increased range so I don't know about that. I thought slugs was what you used for that?

So basically if you hit someone with the round at 10m or less it's a one hit kill - same as slugs and buckshot. The advantage to frag rounds is that they perform ridiculously superior to other rounds at range in terms of damage. Regardless of the range you are at it will take a maximum of two hits to kill someone with frag. The biggest disadvantage is that the projectile speed is much slower than slug/buckshot - but that can be compensated for by the player. Also they cause a fuckload of suppression.

What the fuck..? I don't think I've ever experienced a one hit kill with a shotgun that far away. And I've been playing quite a lot with the DAO-12 and USAS-12. That sounds insane.

CatPee

Well, the description doesn't say anything about increased range so I don't know about that. I thought slugs was what you used for that?

Toss on a scope and see how far the projectile flies. I regularly kill dudes that are 15-25 feet away from me all the time with the frag rounds.

Slugs are much longer range with less burst effect. Frag rounds are not as long range as slugs, more like extreme buckshot with a little less damage

JoeMartin

Not so much that they increase the range of the projectile (but the frag projectile damage does diminish the slowest of all shotgun rounds).

The reason that frag is the best at range is that the explosion damage is carried to the point of impact undiminished, so regardless of the range you're gonna get that 40 explosion damage where it hits + projectile damage.

Slugs are much longer range with less burst effect. Frag rounds are not as long range as slugs, more like extreme buckshot with a little less damage

Slugs are actually pretty shit overall. A one hit kill inside of 10m, but the damage still diminishes to the same 34 of the frag projectile, and at 40m instead of 50m. I'd take buckshot before I'd take slugs. But frag is far and away the best.

JoeMartin

What the fuck..? I don't think I've ever experienced a one hit kill with a shotgun that far away. And I've been playing quite a lot with the DAO-12 and USAS-12. That sounds insane.

I guess it's technically possible to survive a hit from a frag round inside of 10m if you have the flak perk up.

But I kill people with frag rounds out of the 870 in one hit all the time, even on normal servers.

Zeppelin

Well guys, it looks like I'll have to play around some more with the shotguns. Maybe it's my tendency to fire them from the hip way too often that has stopped me from experiencing their true awesomeness.

Moaradin

This is the most important thing
Squad and in-game interface changes (mostly revolving around the proposed fan-designed interface)

This is the proposed fan-designed UI if you missed it.
97ecc925-7994-42d2-a23b-b4c5d4730773.jpg

This is the proposed fan-designed UI if you missed it.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/614272/97ecc925-7994-42d2-a23b-b4c5d4730773.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is so much better in terms of organization and functionality that it makes me think that DICE hired monkeys to design the UI.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I actually ended up shooting at the sun on Caspian Border as it rose out from behind some rocks up the hill towards Hilltop because I mistook it for the Tactical Light.

Yeah.

Stantron

So I recently bought a dongle for my 360 wireless controller to work with my PC. All buttons and analog sticks work fine in windows. I've been able to set buttons for reload, prone, etc, which work fine. But key bindings for walking and looking (on foot) don't seem to work. I don't even see the description in the bindings menu. I plan on sticking with mouse and keyboard, but I still kind of wanted to test out how it feels with a controller. I haven't tried messing with vehicle key bindings yet. Am I missing something here?
edit: dpad can be binded but analogs can't. :/

Anyone know if it's possible to bind walk/look to the analogs of a 360 controller? For whatever reason, it won't allow me, but if it's possible, I'd like to try it out.
edit: Never mind. Apparently I needed to reset settings to get it to work. The key bindings menu is so buggy.

Doctor_20

Banned
I love this game dearly but DICE fucked up on a few things.

Mute doesn't work on 360.
Can't customize classes between matches.
Between match screen doesn't show next map.
There are a lot of windows that are too short to jump through... it takes a couple tries.
Jets can't do shit against infantry.
Chopper Miniguns are terrible. No accuracy and no damage against infantry.
An entire helicopter full of infantry can explode 2 feet above the ground and everyone on board survives.
Tehran Highway's graphics look like a joke. Especially when scoping long distances.
AA Vehicle on Kharg is a BEAST! It treats helicopters like a damn pinata.

This is first grade stuff. Why did you miss so many things DICE?! :(

EDIT: Xbox 360 version.

Actually, jets are great against infantry with the patch. Spent one round picking off snipers on the Caspian tower. They were pretty pissed :)

It's about 3 hits to kill with the jet, and they spit out a lot of bullets.

Ubersnug

I think the patch is out for the 360 as last night when I logged in I had a 160+mb update to install. Didn't play online though, was spamming co-op mode to get my last weapon unlock.

So perhaps this is the thread to ask this random question. As far as the console version is concerned, how are the maps? Are they smaller with the conquest points less spread out and thus comparable to Bad Company 2? Or are they bigger with more spread out conquest points?

Spaulding

Maybe this is worthy of its own thread?

PS3 users will get Battlefield 1943 for free:

http://1943redemption.battlefield.com/

November 26th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Europe

December 10th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony America

December 17th, 2011
for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan

big_z

Kak.efes

How many people can three C4 explosives kill? I managed to sneak by B objective on metro conquest, lace C objective with C4 (American side), and waited for everyone to backtrack. There were five guys in the blast radius, but I only got three kills.

I unleashed on the remaining two with the USAS, made quick work of them. Definitely one of my finer moments.

MNC

Yeah I don't get that patchnote.
Something about when joining a server from Battlelog, Origin will load in the background.

Nothing has changed, Origin pops up, logs me in, and I join a server. That's always been the case.

Binabik15

The craziest explosion moment I've had so far was basically where I was in a jet pre-IR flares and someone had a lock on me, so I headed for the grounded to get close to a capture point on Caspian. Unfortunately I was heading right at tanks at the gas station and I bailed, and out of nowhere an enemy chopper flew in the way. I basically threw my fucking jet into a chopper, John McClane style. I woulda landed and laid down mines for the tanks too if the double explosion didn't suicide my ass.
I shot at an annoying/good chopper on Firrstorm from my tank, just to get him away from the capture point and my team. He ducked away below and behind one of the warehouses, I fire a last shell at him to basically tell him "Yeah, run you lil coward". Boom, vehicle destroyed.

The shell arced over the building and hit and desroyed a chopper I could't even see anymore.

I'll play with frag rounds some more today, but so far I had more success with buckshot.

God they really need to come up with some kind of fix for when you join a server and when you get in it instantly goes to the "Your Team Has Lost" page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom