• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dear DICE: Automatic landing gear is the dumbest idea in BF3. Please remove it. Thanks.

You can land the jets!? Or are you talking about "once you're off, you're up in the air forever?" Because that's always how it's been in BF isn't it?

Also I can't seem to land helicopters on even ground anymore. I can line up and be "even" on the tilt and slightly even on the nose-up/down indicators and somehow my helicopter will teeter-totter over and nearly kill me and passangers at times. WTF, landing the Blackhawk and Apache in BC2 on even/flat grassy ground wasn't this fucking hard in first person. :/

JoeMartin

My opinion on IRNV from the PC BF3 thread:

A completely unreasonable line of reasoning, Scogoth. Why have different camos at all if the only one that matters is the spec ops camo because that's the only one that affects the scope that everyone is using. And why offer any kind of environmental camouflage (i.e. bushes/grass/leaves) if it'll be more of hindrance to the guy using it for cover than the guy with an IRNV that can see right through it no problem?

Don't get me wrong I use the IRNV on every gun, but that's just the point, isn't it - why should I feel obligated to put an IRNV on literally everything? The scope as it stands is essentially legitimized hacks. It lights up players like Christmas lights in any lighting condition with any camo (pretty much even the spec ops camo too) in any environmental backdrop at any range. The thing is an enormous crutch that does the game no favors. If anything it drastically lowers the real skill potential as it makes identifying and engaging targets an elementary task (in turn marginalizing the usefulness of things like the flash suppressor and silencer, since the scope pretty much turns your body into a constant muzzle flash).

Do you need to use it? No probably not. But it provides such a definite advantage in practical applicability over other scopes for such an enormous amount of circumstances that you're kneecapping yourself overall if you don't use it. I can't count how many times I've said to myself "Jesus there is no way I would have seen that guy without this," be it dark corners or camo in a field. I don't think that's a particularly good thing.

Also tact flashlights are brighter than the sun on every level featuring the sun. That's a problem. And for as bright as the flashlights appear to other players they do an absolutely terrible job at actually lighting things up. They look like one of those single AA battery keychain lights from the wielder's perspective. So basically they just exist to create an enormously unrealistic bloom effect for anyone you point it at. And that's just bad design.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
It's great if you're planning on staying still for a long time. Not so great for run and gun type of game play. I keep moving from flag to flag so I don't really like it. There's a 1 second fade to back and you get the limited view. I much rather go with HOLO
Yeah, this is my position on the IRNV. It's too slow with sway to really work with a fast playstyle. It's very useful when you're running something slower and need to scan for enemies on your way between objectives (Caspian Conquest and most rush maps comes to mind), but on a more mobile level, on maps like Norshar Canals and Grand Bazaar, speed of sight and peripheral vision is much more paramount.

Ugh, going back a gun without IRNV sucks. I hate using IRNV, but you put yourself at such a disadvantage when you don't.

Anyways, what's the consensus on the M249 (Support weapon)? Can seem to do jack shit with it, but maybe I just need to get used to it some more. I adore the RPK and M27, but I struggle with this gun. It has a huge magazine, but the reload time sucks. Maybe I should just skip it.
He's the biggest thing about support weapons: you need to be constantly aware of bipod mountable surfaces. When moving into firing position, look for a place where you'll have enough time to set up the bipod and open fire before you're fired upon, which means that you'll have to think to where the enemy is going to be in a second an not where they actually are. Being in a supported position, the m249 is a damned laser gun and can really cut into ranks of infantry rushing to your position. Keep up sustained fire as long as the enemy is visible, and you'll suppress them into making the kill much easier. Basically, you've got to shoot like you have 100 rounds on the belt and can always replenish. Don't worry about accuracy, spray man, spray!

Speaking of support, that's officially my favorite class to play on Damavand Peak Rush now. With the M27 or RPK-74 there's a number of supported firing positions that give you overwatch on approaching infantry from the slopes and as guns still have manageable recoil and drift when out of supported positions. Just feels good picking off infantry as they're running down hill without smoke support, and once they get a ping on me, I break down and move onto another, equally viable firing position that still gives me fast access to the objectives should someone get behind me.

Bipods are kinda awkward for LMGs when you're in a prone position. I have to face the floor just to get the guy to set up the bipod instead of just aiming straight where I want to fire and have him setup the bipod automatically.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bipods are kinda awkward for LMGs when you're in a prone position. I have to face the floor just to get the guy to set up the bipod instead of just aiming straight where I want to fire and have him setup the bipod automatically.

I have to aim slightly up. :/ Also fucks with your position in cover when you break the bipod mode.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dear DICE: Automatic landing gear is the dumbest idea in BF3. Please remove it. Thanks.

I just wish there was a button to manually bring it back up. I hate it when I get shot out of the sky because I can't get any fucking speed or altitude because my damned landing gear went down after that very low pull out.

hteng

Banned
anyone having issues with re-binding certain keys? i can't seem to change "throttle down", it's always stuck in S, i really hate unable to slow my jet down, this is a bug right? i already changed the key to something else yet it doesn't work.

quoting myself, anyone having this issue in PC version? try rebinding your "Throttle Down" key to something else it won't change.

same goes for Spotting with Q, it's fixed dead to the key.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I just wish there was a button to manually bring it back up. I hate it when I get shot out of the sky because I can't get any fucking speed or altitude because my damned landing gear went down after that very low pull out.

I don't understand why the ability to land is in the game to begin with. There is no safe spot to land where an enemy jet isn't going to just strafe you and even if you successfully land and repair your jet, there aren't many places where you can safely take off again either.

It's so goddamned pointless. It's like it only exists so you have to remember to not lower your speed too much while flying low or else you become a sitting duck.

scogoth

quoting myself, anyone having this issue in PC version? try rebinding your "Throttle Down" key to something else it won't change.

same goes for Spotting with Q, it's fixed dead to the key.

Yes there are glitches with binding keys. I can't bind middle mouse button for example. Resetting everything seems to fix it but it kinda sucks to rebind everything again.

hteng

Banned
Yes there are glitches with binding keys. I can't bind middle mouse button for example. Resetting everything seems to fix it but it kinda sucks to rebind everything again.

you mean resetting to default? after that you can bind Spotting or Throttle Down to something else?

so far these are the only 2 keys i know of that's fixed and can't ever be changed.

scogoth

you mean resetting to default? after that you can bind Spotting or Throttle Down to something else?

so far these are the only 2 keys i know of that's fixed and can't ever be changed.

I haven't specifically tried throttle down but all my key binding issues would be fine after a reset to default, they are screwed up again but after I got everything bound properly. I think spotting is always Q, I don't think you can change that.

Vard

"Get a load of this you assholes! ARRRRGGHHHH!" is my personal favorite.

Mine too. There are some really bizarre yet (intentionally... Or unintentionally?) hilarious lines in multiplayer.

I also find the Damavand Peak loading music / cadence funny; dude's voice sounds like a South Park voice at times.

eek5

I don't find it difficult to 'run and gun' with the IRNV at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it makes it easier.

Yeah running and gunning with IRNV is way easier. It's safer to move into your position and once you're there you can basically scope and do a sweep and locate all the enemy positions. Hell, it'll even autospot some of them for your teammates.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Had somebody stab me in the chest while I was firing on them, which I didn't even think was possibly given I tried to do it like 6,000 times already.

Got my first gun with an IRNV on it, and while I thought I was crazy good at spotting before, I think I increased my number 10,000%. Nothing escapes the view of this shit.

You can land the jets!? Or are you talking about "once you're off, you're up in the air forever?" Because that's always how it's been in BF isn't it?

Also I can't seem to land helicopters on even ground anymore. I can line up and be "even" on the tilt and slightly even on the nose-up/down indicators and somehow my helicopter will teeter-totter over and nearly kill me and passangers at times. WTF, landing the Blackhawk and Apache in BC2 on even/flat grassy ground wasn't this fucking hard in first person. :/

You can land the jets. I land to repair myself all the time in the open areas. It's kinda a bitch after you're disabled though :<

I don't understand why the ability to land is in the game to begin with. There is no safe spot to land where an enemy jet isn't going to just strafe you and even if you successfully land and repair your jet, there aren't many places where you can safely take off again either.

It's so goddamned pointless. It's like it only exists so you have to remember to not lower your speed too much while flying low or else you become a sitting duck.

I dunno, soooo many people just leave you when you're disabled, and it's nice when you're hit cause of AA.

daedalius

Yeah running and gunning with IRNV is way easier. It's safer to move into your position and once you're there you can basically scope and do a sweep and locate all the enemy positions. Hell, it'll even autospot some of them for your teammates.

Running up to a cap area and sweeping it with your 'reveal-everyone' scope, then moving in, couldn't be easier. IRNV basically emphasizes a running style of play, because no one can hide from you.

Spec ops is a joke to defend against IRNV, even if only their head shows up like a christmas tree, I've still easily spotted them (and that isn't even all that shows up on fire).

mr_nothin

Banned
Man fuck this game
Every server is becoming instant vehicle spawns and 20% spawn time and 10% man down time and THEN add 1000-1400 tickets with 64 players.
1000+ ticket servers are fun but not with instant vehicles and respawn times.

Fuck this generation...why the hell does everything have to be INSTANT?!
Sheesh, it's pissing me off

And everybody in here is talking about the IRNV like it's the only "gun" in the game. Everybody's trying to learn the IRNV....psh
I hate that attachment and they should just get rid of it altogether. There arent any nighttime maps so whats the need for it? I wish things could just go back
to that awesome experience I had in the alpha where I couldnt get enough of the game. Now it's just BC2.5 and this is coming from someone who said
that "This is BF3, not BC3" when I played the alpha. Now everybody's back to running around and rambo'ing and shit and prone is freakin useless now.
Takes forever and a day just to stand up out of prone and they might as well reduce health to COD levels because the netcode is so shitty that it feels like you're
dying instantly.

Really hating this game now.

somnific

Anyways, what's the consensus on the M249 (Support weapon)? Can seem to do jack shit with it, but maybe I just need to get used to it some more. I adore the RPK and M27, but I struggle with this gun. It has a huge magazine, but the reload time sucks. Maybe I should just skip it.

the m249 is without a doubt my gun of choice. before i started using it i had the ump, scar-h and the m240b sitting at around 300+ kills, but a friend suggested using it and i quickly fell in love. in about a week it has become my number 1 gun sitting at about 1017 kills with the scar in a distant second at 697.

even without a bipod (but with a suppressor-- it feels like the suppressor greatly reduces recoil, but it might just be me thinking that) i feel like it is super accurate and can mow infantry down, especially in tight corridors. i usually roll with the suppressor (being one of the support weapons that does not blip on the minimap when fired w/ a suppressor i find is a huge advantage), foregrip and a scope depending on the situation (IRNV or Kobra RDS). like doomed1 mentioned earlier, don't be afraid to spray in uncertain situations, but when firing at a far target i've found that bursting is often effective as well.

as for reloading, don't forget that it has a huge clip so don't be afraid to dump bullets. reloading can be very situational-- wait until you are safe or are in a less vulnerable position because like you said the reload time takes a long time which can leave you pretty much defenseless. if you still have bullets and find that you need to fire, you can always cancel the reload animation by switching to your pistol and back. strangely enough, i haven't found the reload time that much of a crutch; it's certainly killed me a few times, but it hasn't been often enough where i've decided that i didn't want to roll with the gun anymore.

on a side note, i don't like using the bipod that much, even knowing that using one will give me even greater accuracy. i just feel like the whole set-up-the-bipod animation a little disrupting and will often disorient my focus on a target and i personally feel that sometimes it can be detrimental when trying to maneuver through a hot situation with enemies coming from both sides.

Zeppelin

Almost positive every time it happens. I think I have some footage of it happening to me, as well.

Could just be some latency thing where I get shot by someone else at the same time.

I totally misread you. I read it like you were the one getting the OHKs. Anyway, all I can say is that I've got 300+ kills with the M98 and maybe 75 of those are non headshot kills and I don't think I've ever felt like any of those were OHKs. They have always been in situations where I've been able to just assume the guy had taken some damage prior to my shot. That said, I never go close quarters when I'm playing as Recon so I wouldn't know if it's possible to get a OHK to the body if you're very close.

Man fuck this game
Every server is becoming instant vehicle spawns and 20% spawn time and 10% man down time and THEN add 1000-1400 tickets with 64 players.

And everybody in here is talking about the IRNV like it's the only "gun" in the game. Everybody's trying to learn the IRNV....psh
I hate that attachment and they should just get rid of it altogether. There arent any nighttime maps so whats the need for it? I wish things could just go back
to that awesome experience I had in the alpha where I couldnt get enough of the game. Now it's just BC2.5 and this is coming from someone who said
that "This is BF3, not BC3" when I played the alpha. Now everybody's back to running around and rambo'ing and shit and prone is freakin useless now.
Takes forever and a day just to stand up out of prone and they might as well reduce health to COD levels because the netcode is so shitty that it feels like you're
dying instantly.

if you want people proning everywhere and 100% time on spawns and other stuff you should try the console versions. bring your IRNV though.

Think I may have found a bug with destroying equipment.

When I destroy a MAV or Radio Beacon etc etc I get 20 points. But I have noticed a few times ive damaged the equipment, and then someone else kills it I get way more. Like it uses the same calculation given for hurting an enemy. I just got 91 points before..and I swear its happened before.

mr_nothin

Banned

When I destroy a MAV or Radio Beacon etc etc I get 20 points. But I have noticed a few times ive damaged the equipment, and then someone else kills it I get way more. Like it uses the same calculation given for hurting an enemy. I just got 91 points before..and I swear its happened before.

Was just about to post about this. It's stupid that you get more points for vehicle destroy assist rather than just destroying the damn equipment.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I was wondering where this thread went! So, does this mean we can post here and such? Isn't there a limit, etc?

Just got the Engineer Service Star 5 dogtag. Holy shit! All classes have 100 star dogtag unlocks! That would be a bitch to unlock!

Kinda bummed that we only get dogtags out of all those EXP, but what can DICE do aside from that, no? Skins? Definitely not guns as that would make the game way too unbalanced.

Was just about to post about this. It's stupid that you get more points for vehicle destroy assist rather than just destroying the damn equipment.

Yep, I initially thought I had helped destroy a tank or something, but I started to realise it was enemy equipment. Free points for me, but I would hope this gets fixed.

Binabik15

Where do I find the BF3 exe for Radeon Pro? Performance is a bit bad in the last few days and I want to check out the CrossFire bars*, but even though they´re turned on in RP (and I pressed the toggle key), they´re not showing up, so I guess I have to launch via RP?

Played for the first time in a week or so on TDM to check performance without having to worry about objectives. FF on server. God damn idiots. I got THREE teamkills from proning and mowing down the enemy team opposite to us, because running in front of a LMG is such a brilliant idea. Come ON. I left, I don´t want to be banned.

*In case one of the cards is funky and has to be replaced while they´re still new-ish.

Haven't been able to focus on anything all night. Tried 3 rounds of TDM earlier in the night and got put on a bad team and ended up losing all 3. Quit. Tried to play some Forza, failed at that too. End up wasting entire night off browsing interwebz.

Play another 3 rounds of TDM and end up MVP all 3 times and scores of 43-12, 40-18, 25-10. Ended up getting a few 10k medals in those rounds too.

To summarize, LIFES GOOD AGAIN. -.-

daedalius

Man fuck this game

dying instantly.

Modern Warfare and I wish they would just delete the IRNV as well.

I remember talking to a friend of mine who played a lot of MW2, he just enjoyed TDM because you got instant spawns and could get a couple kills before dying. I told him he should be Search and Destroy because it would be more "rewarding", he said he couldn't take waiting to spawn till a new round. Sad.

Zeppelin

Looks cool. Will play.

"I wanted to complement what we already have in the base game, plus I wanted to bring back some of the classic vehicles from Battlefield 2 that we know players loved, such as the Short Take-Off/Vertical Landing fighter jet and the desert buggy. In today&#8217;s trailer, you can also get a first glimpse of a hitherto unannounced fourth vehicle bound to strike fear into the very hearts of the enemy. See if you can spot it!", said Back to Karkand Lead Designer Niklas Fegraeus.

Hm..?

Edit: Oh, right... The bobcat.

iam220

Man fuck this game

This is obviously not true, not every server is like that (most aren't) and you can easily find one with vanilla rules. People should be able to play how they want , the fact that these type of servers are allowed to exist is a GOOD thing.

they might as well reduce health to COD levels because the netcode is so shitty that it feels like you're dying instantly.

The net code is awesome.
if you're the one doing the shooting

Drewsky

There have been quite a few complaints about bipods in this thread, but I'm actually really impressed with their functionality. They don't bother me.

My opinion on IRNV from the PC BF3 thread:

A completely unreasonable line of reasoning, Scogoth. Why have different camos at all if the only one that matters is the spec ops camo because that's the only one that affects the scope that everyone is using. And why offer any kind of environmental camouflage (i.e. bushes/grass/leaves) if it'll be more of hindrance to the guy using it for cover than the guy with an IRNV that can see right through it no problem?

Don't get me wrong I use the IRNV on every gun, but that's just the point, isn't it - why should I feel obligated to put an IRNV on literally everything? The scope as it stands is essentially legitimized hacks. It lights up players like Christmas lights in any lighting condition with any camo (pretty much even the spec ops camo too) in any environmental backdrop at any range. The thing is an enormous crutch that does the game no favors. If anything it drastically lowers the real skill potential as it makes identifying and engaging targets an elementary task (in turn marginalizing the usefulness of things like the flash suppressor and silencer, since the scope pretty much turns your body into a constant muzzle flash).

Do you need to use it? No probably not. But it provides such a definite advantage in practical applicability over other scopes for such an enormous amount of circumstances that you're kneecapping yourself overall if you don't use it. I can't count how many times I've said to myself "Jesus there is no way I would have seen that guy without this," be it dark corners or camo in a field. I don't think that's a particularly good thing.

Also tact flashlights are brighter than the sun on every level featuring the sun. That's a problem. And for as bright as the flashlights appear to other players they do an absolutely terrible job at actually lighting things up. They look like one of those single AA battery keychain lights from the wielder's perspective. So basically they just exist to create an enormously unrealistic bloom effect for anyone you point it at. And that's just bad design.
This post. It is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom