• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
This is obviously not true, not every server is like that (most aren't) and you can easily find one with vanilla rules. People should be able to play how they want , the fact that these type of servers are allowed to exist is a GOOD thing.

The net code is awesome.
if you're the one doing the shooting

Riiight
Just like KZ2 becoming a "pistols only on radac" game was...good.
I'm not downing options at all. I'm just saying that "INSTANT VEHICLE SPAWN" is taking up a majority of my screen and it's very difficult to find servers that I want to play on. I dont like vanilla settings because I hate 3D spotting and even the audio-minimap-spotting. I also dont like killcams, I dont like full squad spawning, and I dont like super fast respawn times.

Custom servers are so hard to find because DICE/EA has only 150 servers showing at any given time and their server filters suck ass. There are a ton of ppl who want to play with FF on and minimaps off but they cant find them efficiently.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This post. It is good.

Yep.

IRNV has very few counters on every map. Its not even range limited to offset the 1x magnification. And its not even blinded by the flashlight or explosions, or sun to create some balance.

I am surprised they did not address it with the last patch.

eek5

I can't count how many times I've said to myself "Jesus there is no way I would have seen that guy without this," be it dark corners or camo in a field. I don't think that's a particularly good thing.
I've entered a dark warehouse solo so many times and quickly identified all the enemy targets and picked them off before they even realized what's happening so far. The scope is so cheap lol

Also tact flashlights are brighter than the sun on every level featuring the sun. That's a problem.

HAH. I forget what level it was but I was climbing over a rock and sun was blinding me right as I was reaching the top. I was thinking about how bad the angle I was approaching at was since I couldn't see if there was anyone on top of the rock...

then I see the "sun" shooting my teammate. LMAO

scogoth

They actually aren't sure of a solution that would please everyone. Demize is openly taking community suggestions via twitter.

BF3 as a democracy? Pre-order cancelled.

Seriously he was hired as a professional to analyze statistics and gameplay to make inform decisions. Not to run votes as to what people think is imbalanced.

eek5

Seriously he was hired as a professional to analyze statistics and gameplay to make inform decisions. Not to run votes as to what people think is imbalanced.

What's wrong with balancing the game based off feedback from a vocal minority..? oh wait

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
HAH. I forget what level it was but I was climbing over a rock and sun was blinding me right as I was reaching the top. I was thinking about how bad the angle I was approaching at was since I couldn't see if there was anyone on top of the rock...

then I see the "sun" shooting my teammate. LMAO

I still think it's a disadvantage more than it helps. The flashlight just lets ppl know where you are. There's been a bunch of times where I only noticed an enemy because of that giant light. It definitely can help up close though. I think the silencer is the best item in the game, so I'll always use that.

On the other hand, relying on random community suggestions seems almost as valuable as having DICE manage the design.

Zeppelin

God, I hate jets. I suck with them for the most part so I really don't enjoy flying them. I mostly get disables when I'm hitting a tank with my rocket pods and can't really be bothered with the dog fighting. I've got 3 unlocks left for the jets but they don't sound that useful to be honest (I'm on air radar, rocket pods and IR flares right now). What upgrades are you guys rolling with your jets?

demolitio

Stopped by the BF board at Gamefaqs, a shitload of crying about the USAS.

OF course there's crying when a guy can take you out from the other side of the river on Seine in seconds. It's not too bad on normal, but in hardcore, it's ridiculous the range it has with those frag rounds while still being a beast up close. It has all angles covered really.

I swear, it's all you get killed by on some maps these days and there's a reason for that.

That Oman trailer was insane but I couldn't help but laugh at the part where the F-35 was hovering just a few feet off the ground. All I could think about is my tank getting an easy kill thanks to it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They actually aren't sure of a solution that would please everyone. Demize is openly taking community suggestions via twitter.

FIX. THE. FUCKING. CO-OP. ALERT. MODES. DAMN YOU!

Also: FIX THE GODDAMN AN-94 and give me my BFF the GOL Sniper Magnum as well. :|

mcp

Neo Member
God, I hate jets. I suck with them for the most part so I really don't enjoy flying them. I mostly get disables when I'm hitting a tank with my rocket pods and can't really be bothered with the dog fighting. I've got 3 unlocks left for the jets but they don't sound that useful to be honest (I'm on air radar, rocket pods and IR flares right now). What upgrades are you guys rolling with your jets?

Pretty much what you are. Flares, Rockets & Radar. I have fun with them though. It is satisfying when you can neutralise all their tanks on a map like firestorm or kharg. Sometimes I use the extinguisher but I find I can do more damage with flares.

daedalius

I'll make sure to twitter him to just remove it from the game altogether. Or only have it work inside or on night maps, y'know, like its supposed to.

Riiight
I'm not downing options at all. I'm just saying that "INSTANT VEHICLE SPAWN" is taking up a majority of my screen and it's very difficult to find servers that I want to play on. I dont like vanilla settings because I hate 3D spotting and even the audio-minimap-spotting. I also dont like killcams, I dont like full squad spawning, and I dont like super fast respawn times.

Custom servers are so hard to find because DICE/EA has only 150 servers showing at any given time and their server filters suck ass. There are a ton of ppl who want to play with FF on and minimaps off but they cant find them efficiently.

Find servers, and save them, simple as that. Theres tons of servers with wide array of options. I have a list of saves servers with a variety of settings I found fun. Haven't really noticed any issue either with servers all set to auto vehicle respawn

I'll make sure to twitter him to just remove it from the game altogether. Or only have it work inside or on night maps, y'know, like its supposed to.

IR does work in day light

mr_nothin

Banned
Find servers, and save them, simple as that. Theres tons of servers with wide array of options. I have a list of saves servers with a variety of settings I found fun. Haven't really noticed any issue either with servers all set to auto vehicle respawn

I've done that already and they've just been dying out. I had a few PERFECT servers but they just die out because they dont show up on battlelog. Most of the time they dont even show up even if you click the "Custom" tab. I've downloaded programs to help me find these servers and I spend time just about everyday trying to find servers that fit my needs but a lot of the servers are dying out because nobody plays on them and since the 1000+ ticket, instant vehicle spawn, 64 player rush metro 24/7 servers are so popular....a lot of the admins just give in.

iam220

Riiight

Never played KZ2, but giving people the option to tweak the rules of a game is a good thing, you may not agree with the results but obvouisly others do, or there'd be no one playing.

You seem to have a very particular set of criteria which are obvouisly less popular than instant respawns, 1000 tics etc. I do agree that that DICE should expand its sever browser so people can find servers with exactly the type of rules they want (if they exists). Also helps to add servers you like to your favorites, if you find enough of them you won't even need the server browser anymore.

I've done that already and they've just been dying out. I had a few PERFECT servers but they just die out because they dont show up on battlelog. Most of the time they dont even show up even if you click the "Custom" tab. I've downloaded programs to help me find these servers and I spend time just about everyday trying to find servers that fit my needs but a lot of the servers are dying out because nobody plays on them and since the 1000+ ticket, instant vehicle spawn, 64 player rush metro 24/7 servers are so popular....a lot of the admins just give in.

I don't get this at all. Maybe it's your region (US?) or something, but the majority of the servers I play on have regular vehicle spawn times, and regular tickets.

daedalius

Well if it ACTUALLY works like it does in the game, it just shouldn't be in the game at all. I hate using it, because it feels like an exploit; but if I don't use it, I'm just knee-capping myself against everyone rolling with a USAS w/ explosive rounds and IRNV.

Would really like to see actual footage of an IRNV used in broad-daylight to see if it really picks people out at ridiculous range like it does in the game. I mean, they are going for realism, right?

Well if it ACTUALLY works like it does in the game, it just shouldn't be in the game at all. I hate using it, because it feels like an exploit; but if I don't use it, I'm just knee-capping myself against everyone rolling with a USAS w/ explosive rounds and IRNV.

Would really like to see actual footage of an IRNV used in broad-daylight to see if it really picks people out at ridiculous range like it does in the game. I mean, they are going for realism, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpdAXAKgSfs

Ysiadmihi

Banned

I don't think jets or tanks automatically repair themselves so...no.

But I think the IRNV should just be removed. I only use it when playing Support and it's crazy how OP it is with LMGs.

scogoth

Well real IRNV doesn't spot people like in BF3. They were most likely trying to emulate IRNV + thermal version systems like this or this

GodofWine

So THIS is where this thread went....

I just started using the INRV on the F2000 with foregrip and suppressor...its COD like accurate, and shooting the glowy red things = ownage. But is is so darn cheap.

They need to give the option to toss flares instead of grenades, and make them have a pretty large radius of blinding the inrv scopes.

OR...make the spec ops camo actually block them totally, how do they think only having glowing arms and faces = harder to hit.

daedalius

I believe you missed the point of my post. I was asking for actual real life footage of IRNV, not what it looks like in game. Believe me, I've used it enough to be familiar with it.

Well real IRNV doesn't spot people like in BF3. They were most likely trying to emulate IRNV + thermal version systems like this or this

Looks like that 2nd one has some pretty serious backwash when you actually look at something bright.

The first one looks to illustrate it better, but even what actually exists doesn't seem to match the BF3-IRNV in practice. It should just be removed from the game.

OR...make the spec ops camo actually block them totally, how do they think only having glowing arms and faces = harder to hit.

Haha really, its not. Not at all. Their faces and arms still alert you to their presence from... basically any range.

Rapstah

They could have flashlights completely blinding people with IRNV if you shone right into their eyes. For a while too, I mean, in real life you'd have a hard time seeing anything in the daylight conditions of BF3 with any kind of night vision. Unless IRNV automatically adjusts for that in real life too.

I believe you missed the point of my post. I was asking for actual real life footage of IRNV, not what it looks like in game. Believe me, I've used it enough to be familiar with it.

It doesn't exist. "IRNV" by the name, should just be your typical light-amplification system. What exists in the game is some kind of thermal/IR hybrid scope that is (mostly) fictional.

Thermal scopes exist, they look pretty much like the B/W thermal optics used in the game (like the MAV uses), why they didn't make the IRNV look like that is odd. That might not be big enough of a nerf but I think it would certainly help.

daedalius

It doesn't exist. "IRNV" by the name, should just be your typical light-amplification system. What exists in the game is some kind of thermal/IR hybrid scope that is (mostly) fictional.

Thermal scopes exist, they look pretty much like the B/W thermal optics used in the game (like the MAV uses), why they didn't make the IRNV look like that is odd. That might not be big enough of a nerf but I think it would certainly help.

If it was just a light-amp, you'd be blinded by even trying to use it on most of the maps, since the sun is usually glaring down and showing you that caked, dirt shit on your goggles.

If it was just thermal you'd see hotspots all over the place because the sun is out and shining on everything.

I think the type of fictional scope it is like that you are looking for is: Predator-vision

/sigh

DXPett1

Yep.

IRNV has very few counters on every map. Its not even range limited to offset the 1x magnification. And its not even blinded by the flashlight or explosions, or sun to create some balance.

Actually since the patch I have noticed flashlights wash out the IRNV scope to the point where the player with the flashlight is almost invisible behind this washed out greeny/yellow wall

AndyD

aka andydumi
Actually since the patch I have noticed flashlights wash out the IRNV scope to the point where the player with the flashlight is almost invisible behind this washed out greeny/yellow wall

I dont mean that, I mean blind you in the sense that even when removing the scope your vision remains blurred. That way you dont run around with the IRNV on all the time, as many do. What you describe is simply the overpowered nature of the flashlight which shines brighter than the sun.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
IRNV is definitely blinded by flashlights. On console here, no patch.

Soma

Awesome trailer. The buggy looks so fun to drive. Reminds me of the quad-bike (miss that thing <3)

I can't wait to see the Wake Island trailer :O

mcp

Neo Member
HOVERING IN F35's IS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER... I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS... I CANNOT.

It is a cool way to takeoff but I always remember it being instant death to try and do that in combat in BF2. Perhaps I just sucked at it. Whenever I tried to be clever with that a T90 would roll in and BAM!

scogoth

Oh god... waiting!! There is always waiting!!!

HOVERING IN F35's IS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER... I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS... I CANNOT.

Please DICE, give it to use on the 1st of December, I need some new maps for some BF3 re-invigoration, and we know how well those old maps are going to work don't we :)

Even if they released on Dec 1st it'd be Dec 8th for xbox/pc. God damn sony and their bags of money.

Even if they released on Dec 1st it'd be Dec 8th for xbox/pc. God damn sony and their bags of money.

OH NOEZ....

I HATE THAT SHIT... GOD DAMMIT SONY.

What is the point of that? Like... GRR. It's just to piss off the other platform holder owners really, and it's not like we knew about it BEFORE the launch of the game.

Go EA, that's pretty much like taking a Bribe.

F.

Also - Re: Hovering in F35's. It was pretty much a death sentence if you couldn't control it well enough to move around like a bit of a chopper... I wonder how it will feel to control - I'm sure it's going to be difficult to manage for me considering the way I control jets...

Cobra84

I can't say he did a good job. We have an automatic grenade launcher shotgun, a texture hack scope, weapon attachments that solely exist to blind and annoy, near recoil-less full auto lasers, and a patch that did almost nothing. I'd rather have polls on the Battlelog page than let him touch anything else.

DXPett1

Yep.

You know one thing that I wish...

I wish that BF3 was a bit more gory.

I wish there was more blood or something - I know it would never happen, but the game is the top violence rating in every region, it's not like they couldn't have put in a bit more blood.

I also hope that one day there will be a project reality mod for the game, in which it is absolutely as real as possible. Every bullet hit on the body is realistic, so if you get hit in the head, your head explodes and you're dead, but if you get hit in the arm by a grazing shot, it's nothing. If you get hit in the leg, you can no longer move as fast until you find a medic, and you can bleed out - in the same way vehicles are disabled, the player should be able to be disabled.

But that is all just fantasy.

I even think that the player 'bleeding' should be in the primary game as it is anyway. If you get taken to under 25% health by someone in a gun fight, you shouldn't be able to just hide in a corner and wait for your health to come back up, you should be bleeding and you should bleed out until you find a medic.

Medic packs have become almost purposeless in the game these days - I mean, I enjoy playing as an Assault, and I think I prefer the medical bag to the M320 in most cases, but it's a tough trade up. Personally I don't think you should have to sacrifice the medical bag for the M320, I mean Engineers don't even sacrifice the Rocket Launcher for Mines...

scogoth

You know one thing that I wish...

I wish that BF3 was a bit more gory.

I wish there was more blood or something - I know it would never happen, but the game is the top violence rating in every region, it's not like they couldn't have put in a bit more blood.

I also hope that one day there will be a project reality mod for the game, in which it is absolutely as real as possible. Every bullet hit on the body is realistic, so if you get hit in the head, your head explodes and you're dead, but if you get hit in the arm by a grazing shot, it's nothing. If you get hit in the leg, you can no longer move as fast until you find a medic, and you can bleed out - in the same way vehicles are disabled, the player should be able to be disabled.

But that is all just fantasy.

I even think that the player 'bleeding' should be in the primary game as it is anyway. If you get taken to under 25% health by someone in a gun fight, you shouldn't be able to just hide in a corner and wait for your health to come back up, you should be bleeding and you should bleed out until you find a medic.

Medic packs have become almost purposeless in the game these days - I mean, I enjoy playing as an Assault, and I think I prefer the medical bag to the M320 in most cases, but it's a tough trade up. Personally I don't think you should have to sacrifice the medical bag for the M320, I mean Engineers don't even sacrifice the Rocket Launcher for Mines...

BF3 isn't a mil sim. The gore was probably more a lag problem than anything else. Same reason destruction is toned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom