• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an epic round of mortaring on Grand Bazaar. These guys made a few poor attempts at counter mortaring which didn't kill me, by which time I counter-mortared them and continued on my rampage. God I love Support.

UtjTt.png

Yes, that was a 16 kill mortar streak.

Mind you, I'm not the best player in the world, but I love my mortar.

Nizz

OH NOEZ....

I HATE THAT SHIT... GOD DAMMIT SONY.

What is the point of that? Like... GRR. It's just to piss off the other platform holder owners really, and it's not like we knew about it BEFORE the launch of the game.

Go EA, that's pretty much like taking a Bribe.

F.

Also - Re: Hovering in F35's. It was pretty much a death sentence if you couldn't control it well enough to move around like a bit of a chopper... I wonder how it will feel to control - I'm sure it's going to be difficult to manage for me considering the way I control jets...
I thought I read somewhere that the reason us PS3 owners are getting the B2K pack early is that EA/DICE reneged on throwing in Battlefield 1943 with copies of the PS3 version?

BF3 Death Rail

FIX. THE. FUCKING. CO-OP. ALERT. MODES. DAMN YOU!

Also: FIX THE GODDAMN AN-94 and give me my BFF the GOL Sniper Magnum as well. :|
Well the co-op alert modes aren't broken, so they don't need to be fixed. What you'd like is for the stealth trophies to be easier to get (which is fine), but that's a different thing. Also, I have some good news for you: Alan Kertz has specifically said that the AN-94 and SKS are both getting a buff.

Alan Kertz on Twitter said:
Ok, agreed. I've been working on both, the AN94 and SKS should both be getting a "buff" aka, more effective, but not more dmg.
http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/status/140460014870601728

I thought I read somewhere that the reason us PS3 owners are getting the B2K pack early is that EA/DICE reneged on throwing in Battlefield 1943 with copies of the PS3 version?

EA were trying to cover their asses and backtracked saying that the one week was to make up for the lack of BF1943. In reality they announced the one week early access before anyone knew there was no 1943.

Shuusui

I have a simple question.

I fucking love BFBC2, played it all the time. Does BF3 surpass it enough to warrant moving away from BC2? It's $30 on Amazon and I'm tempted.

Might be my region (US) but this is all I see most of the time:
(Also the first 8 servers in the photo below have the respawn time lowered.) Check out the gallery here ----> http://min.us/mU2aMVWlU#2

ibwVXLtOJt3Prp.png

Might be your region. I don't get any of those strange servers here in Europe (UK).

I fucking love BFBC2, played it all the time. Does BF3 surpass it enough to warrant moving away from BC2? It's $30 on Amazon and I'm tempted.

Once you play BF3 you cannot go back to BC2. It's considerably better in every department (possibly barring maps, depending on your taste), and of course, its 64 players.

Cobra84

Unless you really want to play 64 player conquest on the PC version I'd stick with BC2. I find BF3 a step backwards from BC2 in a lot of ways. Most of the maps, the gunplay, and vehicles aren't nearly as good.

Unless you really want to play 64 player conquest on the PC version I'd stick with BC2. I find BF3 a step backwards from BC2 in a lot of ways. Most of the maps, the gunplay, and vehicles aren't nearly as good.
I agree, on console BF3 is a significant backwards step compared to BFBC2. The server browser in BF3 is a very welcome addition, the ground attack jets in Rush are fun, and the infantry AA measures against choppers are nice. But the rest is generally a downgrade over BFBC2. The PS3 version doesn't even have working comms at this stage more than a month after release, which is laughable for a supposedly AAA online shooter.

In hindsight DICE should have just kept their PC and console releases separate. I suppose that would have meant a much lower development budget for the PC line, but the BF3 approach was a failure from the console point of view.

Soma

The only thing I miss about BC2 was shotgun-sniping with my GOL (teehee).

Other than that I don't see myself going back to BC2 any time soon if at all.

mr_nothin

Banned
Check off Normal as a filter.

That's HC and Custom servers only...not much different when I have Normal checked though.
I hate playing servers on the Normal preset (too many ways for the enemy to know exactly where I am, if I do anything...they know my exact position).

NORMAL preset (a lot of these have short respawn/vehicle respawn times too...I know because I've played on them):
ib1q40F9nhqrlX.png

Pennybags

To be serious, something just doesn't click with me while playing BF3 on Xbox, while I enjoy the PC version more than I ever did with BC2 on 360.

I love playing the PC version, but on the console I prefer BC2.

I've been enjoying the game on consoles and some of the maps are decent. But I really wish the spawn points were actual capture points, that would really solve most of my problems with the maps. That being that they are small and a lot of the capture points are too close.

As far as console BF goes, Modern Combat is still the best.

Soma

ah so it's finally doing the "hey your stats are pretty ok now how about you go get stuck with shitty teams constantly! have fun!" thing now.

such fond memories of BC2

Dries

Guys, I need to know. Are the unlockable Assault weapons truly better or is it just a matter of taste?

I haven't been bothered to play with unlocked weapons, cause I don't want to unlock every single scope and whatnot again, but if you guys tell me it's worth it....

Ysiadmihi

Banned
To be serious, something just doesn't click with me while playing BF3 on Xbox, while I enjoy the PC version more than I ever did with BC2 on 360.

I love playing the PC version, but on the console I prefer BC2.

On 32 player servers, most maps feel dead. I haven't played much on console yet, but with 24 it would seem like there is a good chunk of time where nothing is happening. BC2 doesn't have that problem.

eek5

Guys, I need to know. Are the unlockable Assault weapons truly better or is it just a matter of taste?

I haven't been bothered to play with unlocked weapons, cause I don't want to unlock every single scope and whatnot again, but if you guys tell me it's worth it....

Yes.

You can unlock scopes really fast in TDM btw if you can tolerate the worst spawns in any game, ever.

Soma

Allright. So everyone, what's the best Assault weapon? Let's hear your opinions!

People will swear by the F2000 but I honestly prefer the AEK-971 for some reason. Both are considered the best but honestly all the ARs are really solid, even the M16A3. There's really no 'bad' assault rifle.

...except for the AN-94.

GodofWine

is this old news?

back to karkand drops on the 7th

http://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/psn/addonDetail/251070

Hopeful or foolish to expect the console (ps3) patch before that?..or at least at the same time?

The squad / play with friends ('its never been so easy to play with friends 'should be the new thread title...) thing needs to be fixed.

As much as COD wore out with me, getting into a groundwar game with 8 friends (real life friends even) on the same team, all able to talk while playing, was awesome.

BFBC worked fine, (only 3 of my friends had it, and have this as well), but now I can't get it to work 30% of the time in this. I don't mind queuing up and waiting 2 minutes for a proper 2-4 man team opening, and I don't mind being put into an empty server or lopsided team to make it work, games populate fast.

/rant #56

Edit - but its a great game despite this.

Actually no, light amplification devices like the ones found in rifle scopes do not work in the daytime.

IR works, it's night vision aplifications that shouldn't work in broad day light like it does in game. IR scopes like seen in MW2 (the bright whites) are meant to be used either or, but the kind they put in BF3 is the newer ones that should work differently from how they put it in the game.... They musta thought they were new and cool so lets put them in the game but it doesn't make much sense. Though IR like the older bright white ones would be just as effective in game since players would still be picking out players way to easy.

It odd with how they tried to go more realistic on alot of aspects with this BF but really completely blew it on this scope.

daedalius

Aren't the next get nightvision scope\equipment integrated with thermal optics exactly like the bf3 INRV

So its not completely unrealistic.

Didn't look like it from some of the IRL videos posted earlier.

Feel free to post a video showing something that is actually anything like the BF3 IRNV.

Aren't the next get nightvision scope\equipment integrated with thermal optics exactly like the bf3 INRV

So its not completely unrealistic.

Yea but how it works in BF3 is not very realistic. These new scopes thermal imaging have very limited ranges and are meant really to help pick out people at long ranges since normal NV makes it hard to pick out a person from their surroundings. The range on these scopes is not very long and at 50m they don't really work at picking up any heat signatures. Light sources don't affect the NV portion enough either, lot of fires in the game for example besides having no heat signature in the IR, does not have any affect on the NV aplification.

As someone who's new to BF, can someone please describe the differences between the classes? What can support do that engineer can't, etc.? I've started out playing assault but not for any real reason.

What kind of playstyles do the different classes cater to?

Wake Island footage. From Battlefieldo:

- Wake Island is a “U”-shaped Island. (lol)
- US Reinforcements spawn on a Carrier.
- 2 new US Spawnzones at both Shores.
- 3 Flags! (Airfield, Southbeach, Northbeach)
- No WW2 Bunkers! Complete “modern” re-design!

Not sure what they mean by spawn zones--are these just new flag locations?

EDIT: Doesn't look any smaller than old Wake Island, either.

As someone who's new to BF, can someone please describe the differences between the classes? What can support do that engineer can't, etc.? I've started out playing assault but not for any real reason.

What kind of playstyles do the different classes cater to?

In general:

- Support is there to supply ammo to the other players and lay down fire from a further distance.
- Engineer is there to take care of threatening enemy vehicles and repair your own, as well as closer ranged combat.
- Recon is to spot enemies to help your team and pick them out from afar.
- Assault is the kind of frontlines class, healing and reviving teammates, with some solid guns at their disposal.

Others can add more if they want, but that's the idea.

PS3 patch coming tomorrow.

BATTLEFIELD 3 PLAYSTATION 3 CLIENT UPDATE NOV 30TH

General fixes

• Significant improvements to the Squad Join interface, full details in this earlier blog post
• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 Squad members
• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man Squad
• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when Squad drops to 1 player
• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad selection screen
• Players who choose not to join Squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text
• Added round duration and ticket summary at end of round screen
• Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
• Fixed and issue with some weapons' sounds in first person view
• Fixed a swim sound loop error
• You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
• Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it
• Spawn protection now should work in Conquest so you no longer should spawn too close to enemies
• You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
• Fix for missing input restriction during intro movie, causing players to potentially fall and die while watching movie if moving controller (or having a controller with a bad stick zone)
• Combat areas on Kharg Island in Rush mode tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after first base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
• Fixed a problem with revived players not being able to get suppressed
• Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in co-op
• Spotting VO now plays when spotting from MAV/EOD bot
• Fixed several issues regarding the kill card, including showing wrong weapons used for the kill
• Fixed that sometimes you would be stuck on a black screen when kicked from server
• Fixed so when a team captures two flags at the same time, the UI does not show wrong owner of the flag
• Fixed a problem where the capture progress bar was shown as friendly when the enemy was capturing
• Fixed a problem with the bipod deploy sound
• Fixed a problem that you could be spawned in with no weapons after being killed while using the EOD bot
• Fixed problems with health bars not displaying health properly when using EOD bots
• Fixed a problem with flickering name tags
• Fixed a problem where you could damage friendly helicopters
• Fixed a problem where you could get stuck in the co-op menu when attempting to join the session twice
• You should now be able to spot explosives
• You should no longer spawn in home base if your selected spawn point is disabled while waiting to spawn (e.g. if your teammate dies right before you are about to spawn)
• Damage from bullets will now continue to cause damage even after the firing user is dead
• Fixed several client crashes
• Fixed a problem where players could get stuck in the join queue
• Fixed the repair icon on the minimap
• Fixed a problem with changing camera on certain vehicles
• Fixed a problem with the grenade indicator when in guided missile mode
• Fixed a problem where the machine could hard lock when joining a public coop game
• Fixed a problem where the headset attached icon would not show up in the UI
• Fixed a problem with the falling antenna on Caspian Border. It should now more instantly kill anyone in its falling path
• Fixed a problem where tank turrets would turn too slow
• Fixed a bug on co-op mission "Exfiltration" where you could end up outside the vehicle and not being able to enter it again, thus blocking the mission
• Fixed a problem where a user can become invulnerable after being resurrected
• Fixed a problem with the M60 reload sound
• Fixed a hang in terrain streaming, causing the user to get stuck on black screen under special circumstances in single player
• Fixed a problem where the enemy would not be able to get a road kill on a user that was using the SOFLAM
• Fixed soldiers disappearing in the mortar kill cam
• Fix for Type88 and MG36 zoom in animation offset when in supported shooting mode (using bipods)

Balance changes

• Increased the damage of helicopter miniguns, AA guns, and jet cannons against infantry
• Increased the damage of helicopter miniguns against jeeps
• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and jet cannons so players under attack from these weapons no longer should lose control
• Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly
• Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex
• Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons
• Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R
• Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range
• Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles
• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons
• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft
• Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds
• Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against helicopters
• Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Hard to say. It's really subjective. I couldn't stand BC2 for some reason but BF3 is my GOTY. PC only for me.

Divius

"Hey, this beeping sounds like we are going to die! Quickly, bail out at full speed. So long, gunner!"

And there I crash into a couple of rocks when the attack chopper still had 60%. Goddamn idiots.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
"Hey, this beeping sounds like we are going to die! Quickly, bail out at full speed. So long, gunner!"

And there I crash into a couple of rocks when the attack chopper still had 60%. Goddamn idiots.

Hey man, some pilots just don't have flares yet, they know when the going gets good.

Then again, you shouldn't be pilot if you can't handle the heat yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom