• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcp

Neo Member
I love this game but damn its just brutal playing online. Plus it has no private games so you could only play with friends who might be at the same level like other games (KZ3 for e.g).

Are you on PC. If so find a practice flying server. Search for fly. You can usually find one with only a few people. Fly the heli from flag to flag and you get your 300 flare points pretty quickly.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just played a couple of matches with the Sniper, and it's pretty good. Definitely harder to level up than the other classes, but I really do like it.

I rage because it's a simple thing. EA/DICE really needs to have a "are you a dumbass? Play this tutorial!" bit before getting into a real match, because it's such an obvious thing to do that people do not do that it's mind boggling why DICE even bothers to give kit items to the classes. Might as well have tickets be unrefundable and have ammo crates like BC1 again. At least then I don't have to run my ass into danger zones to get some damn ammo for my kits.

20-40 bullets MAX for the shotguns requires a "shoot less bullets" really? Camping an objective to prevent it from falling into enemy hands with said shotgun is "shoot less bullets," really? Okay, I guess I should let the enemy totally win the game since my team is full of dumbasses then! *quit*
Seks if you're rolling with shotguns then why don't you just play as Support? If nobody else on the entire platform is throwing ammo kits, then surely your team must be running desperately short of ammo… maybe you could be the one to bring it to them? That's what a team player would do. After they see you throwing ammo kits to them they might even think about doing it themselves in future. Help bring a little light to the world.

eek5

It's totally weird I know, but I once had a game where I was able to do both of those things. I might start a blog about it.

Yeah? And how many weeks of playing once a week did it take you to get proficient at killing dudes, especially with vehicles after everyone has already unlocked everything? Link me to your blog after you are done getting it up, I'd love to give it a read.

... you just proved my earlier point about COD players not giving a shit to consistently listen to their team or be aware of the other team players enough to perform specific class-based team actions (ammo/med/repair) while playing BF3.

How did I prove your point? I'm telling you that the regular strike package is more EFFICIENT if you're a decent player which is why decent players don't use the support package. They all unlock very similar killstreaks and someone running a strike package that is good will be helping their team more than a someone running a "Support" package. How is launching UAVs not helpful to the team? It's a selfish killstreak? Give me a break

Your claim that COD players can't play a team game is laughable especially when your evidence of that is decent/pro players going for "assault" killstreaks when they can help their team out way more with the regular package which unlocks many of the SAME killstreak rewards but faster. Everyone I play BF3 with played COD and they were good at COD. Now they're running 400-500 SPM and have zero issues dropping ammo, reviving people, healing, repairing, spotting, lazing targets *rolleyes*

Yeah? And how many weeks of playing once a week did it take you to get proficient at killing dudes, especially with vehicles after everyone has already unlocked everything? Link me to your blog after you are done getting it up, I'd love to give it a read.

I really don't think you've played this game much.
Seks if you're rolling with shotguns then why don't you just play as Support? If nobody else on the entire platform is throwing ammo kits, then surely your team must be running desperately short of ammo… maybe you could be the one to bring it to them? That's what a team player would do. After they see you throwing ammo kits to them they might even think about doing it themselves in future. Help bring a little light to the world.

I love shotguns and do this all the time myself.

eek5

Then you're terrible if you're whining about vehicles that much, especially with how much you play support? Not sure what to say....

I'm discussing the game from ARK's perspective, NOT mine.

And sorry if I'm the guy dropping ammo for engineers so they can keep taking out vehicles. Someone has to do it and even though I started out as a COD player I can understand the team perspective enough to play that role and help the team instead of going for kills *rolleyes*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Because in Rush Seine B, I'm the one lighting people up like a Christmas tree with the T-UGS and humping the hallways to throw shotguns down the area. AKA: Recon primary for defense. I could use a shotgun on support, but that's IMO counter-productive given a LMG can throw hellfire into those hallways with a bipod. The issue is giving the team (and myself) a heads up if people sneak by, hence I go recon because no one else will.

Believe me, I know the dynamics. The issue is NO ONE THROWS THEIR FUCKING KIT ITEM OUT. And this has been an issue since BC2. There needs to be a tutorial that explains this.

I'm discussing the game from ARK's perspective, NOT mine.

Ok, I'm confused then, my apologies. My point was that leveling is a combo of activities, and it's not "go kill stuff" or "drop ammo on people".

I chase people down with ammo boxes. Why won't they stand on them?

eek5

Ok, I'm confused then, my apologies. My point was that leveling is a combo of activities, and it's not "go kill stuff" or "drop ammo on people".

I chase people down with ammo boxes. Why won't they stand on them?

I'm not sure when the ammo icon shows up but it isn't always when they desperately need ammo so most people will ignore ammo boxes even if they could refill. The contextual "spotting" to inform people that you dropped ammo or have ammo from them does not work on the receiving end either so there is really no way for them to know that you dropped ammo other than the minimap which is cluttered and easy to miss or by actually seeing it on the ground which is also easy to miss unless it bugs and glows white.

There needs to be a tutorial that explains this.

The game does a pretty bad job of explaining a lot of things. It doesn't help that kit item requests do not work either but I'm not even sure they would respond even if it did work.

Because in Rush Seine B, I'm the one lighting people up like a Christmas tree with the T-UGS and humping the hallways to throw shotguns down the area. AKA: Recon primary for defense. I could use a shotgun on support, but that's IMO counter-productive given a LMG can throw hellfire into those hallways with a bipod. The issue is giving the team (and myself) a heads up if people sneak by, hence I go recon because no one else will.

Believe me, I know the dynamics. The issue is NO ONE THROWS THEIR FUCKING KIT ITEM OUT. And this has been an issue since BC2. There needs to be a tutorial that explains this.

1.spawn recon
2.drop laser finding person thingy
3.respawn support
4.rape some face

eek5

1.spawn recon
3.respawn support
4.rape some face

I've never gotten the SOFLAM to lock after I respawned as another class. Does it actually persist and continue to get vehicle locks?

edit: I have no idea what the "laser finding person thingy" is

TheSeks

1.spawn recon
3.respawn support
4.rape some face

Respawning the recon kits will explode, IIRC. PS3 patch nerfed the kit items to where they don't stick around on respawn too much anymore.

In any case, I camp near the objective to take people out so my life is generally unusually long (like, whole round of defense long at times), hence my issue: There is people playing a class that can keep me up and helping them defend for longer but they do not help me, why?

I have to rely on someone killing them, kill the enemy that killed them, get their kit and resupply/heal myself at times. It's bullshit.

I've never gotten the SOFLAM to lock after I respawned as another class. Does it actually persist and continue to get vehicle locks?

TUGS I'm guessing.

On a related note, playing damavand conquest last night, dropped a tugs, died, and noticed 10 min later when I was now playing support that I was getting mad spot points. Turns out my tugs was still there detecting people. It stayed the entire match, and never disappeared despite multiple class switches, deaths, and so on.

PermaTUGS is awesome btw.

Is it blasphemy to consider Rush superior to Conquest? Because goddamn, an intense Rush game with a capable team is unmatched. Feels like an honest-to-God invasion/battle/war on Kharg.

I love it.

TheSeks

Is it blasphemy to consider Rush superior to Conquest? Because goddamn, an intense Rush game with a capable team is unmatched. Feels like an honest-to-God invasion/battle/war on Kharg.

I love it.

No, it's god showing you the light. Welcome to the cult. Now prepare for thousands of mocking from Conquest peasants that think they're good for taking all the flags and base raping.

TheSeks

More like you're wishing BF3 was a game it isn't. Rush is so bad in BF3 that I boot up BC2 instead when I feel like taking a break from Conquest.

Rush is downgraded, sure. But I'll take it over boring three/five flag conquest on Console anyday. Opinion may change on PC.

Also only issue with Rush in BF3 is not having some alternate routes at times, some of the buildings in bazaar would be good to take down. I understand (and thank) the point of indestructible cover to give the defense a chance to attack compared to "all the buildings are down, enjoy our tank/explosive/helicopter fire! TROLLOLOLOL" attack rounds at times.

demolitio

That minimap comparison saddens me seeing how good previous BF games were at giving you the most accurate details possible while remaining clean and unobtrusive. Now you just can't see shit.

If they're revamping the CommoRose, can't they admit the failure that is the minimap?

Damned good round on Noshahr Canals. Thought we lost it there for a minute, facing the wrath of a GAF team
lol.gif
Until a few others joined our team, we probably would have lost.

I think I marginally improved my flying skills. Though various antennae would disagree.

TheSeks

I think we all can agree that SDM is shit this outing. It wasn't too bad in BC2 outside of LOL MAGNUM AMMO, but it was tolerable/balanced. Here it's completely shit with pretty shitty spawns and the BF2 maps really AREN'T built for it in mind. Rush is completely tolerable because you can see DICE took care in placing the crates where they are. SDM? LOL HUGE OPEN MAP WITH THOUSANDS OF PLACES TO BE SHOT AT. ENJOY!

So glad I'm done with the shitty requirements for this gun. Note to DICE: Don't pull this shit again.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I've been wondering wtf that weird beeping noise at the end of rounds was lately and here it turns out it was just the Battlelog notification of a new battle report. I thought my sound card was dying.

I thought I was the only one who thought BC2 rush was superior. I dunno what it is, but maybe it's just better maps.

BC2 rush is better because you can actually destroy crates. Trying to arm mcoms when people are camping proned out and waiting with an IRNV is fucking stupid. Conquest is the only way to go with BF3.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
BC2 rush is better because you can actually destroy crates. Trying to arm mcoms when people are camping proned out and waiting with an IRNV is fucking stupid. Conquest is the only way to go with BF3.
I'm pretty sure it's possible to shoot the campers. I'm no expert but I've done it before.

Norua

Banned
Are you kidding ? To be able to destroy the MCOM was the problem in BFBC2 Rush. The majority of maps were a joke for attackers since you could destroy the building with a tank from far away or throw a jihad vehicle on the MCOM. And it was fun a few times but then it was like that all the time and got boring pretty fast.
You have campers near the MCOM ? Throw a smoke or two.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to shoot the campers. I'm no expert but I've done it before.
Shit, I have played thousands of hours of Battlefield and never thought of that, thanks sapient!
Are you kidding ? To be able to destroy the MCOM was the problem in BFBC2 Rush. The majority of maps were a joke for attackers since you could destroy the building with a tank from far away or throw a jihad vehicle on the MCOM. And it was fun a few times but then it was like that all the time and got boring pretty fast.

Oh those smoke grenades I haven't unlocked yet? I will get right on it. Attacking MCOMs forces campers to get out of their sleeping bags and actually attack on defense instead of staying in their tents all match. And if attacking mcoms made it so easy for defenders, I wonder why my W/L ratio on defense for BC2 was soooo much higher than my attacking w/l....

Wthermans

Banned
I really hate the map layout in BF3. All the cap points are FAR too close together. DICE really fucked up this game with their COD focus. Makes me wish they would just develop a proper PC exclusive. Too bad that will never happen.

mr_nothin

Banned
I really hate the map layout in BF3. All the cap points are FAR too close together. DICE really fucked up this game with their COD focus. Makes me wish they would just develop a proper PC exclusive. Too bad that will never happen.

I dont see why they couldnt just stick with the BF2/BF2:MC formula where they looked at both as 2 seperate titles. I dont see why BF3 wasnt PC exclusive and MC/BC3 wasnt put into development.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I dont see why they couldnt just stick with the BF2/BF2:MC formula where they looked at both as 2 seperate titles. I dont see why BF3 wasnt PC exclusive and MC/BC3 wasnt put into development.

The reason is obvious. We should just be grateful since it could have ended up a lot worse.

Really? Millions of lost sales perhaps? Like Ysia says, it could have been a lot worse, much, much worse.

KePoW

Banned

Personally, I agree with this 100%. I played Rush a lot more in BC2, but Conquest is definitely better in BF3.

redhot_

Played for about 4 hours tonight and I don't think I have ever lost this many matches in any competitive online game ever. Only won 1 game that I joined late to, all other matches it was just throwing me in rooms on teams with no points. Also the teams would never get more then 7 or 8 players on each side, what the heck is with that? idk what to do anymore :(

TheSeks

B-B-BUT I HAVE TO GET CLOSE AND ARM THE CRATE/OBJECTIVE AND POSSIBLY GET SHOT BY THE NOW BALANCED DEFENSE!? EWWWWWWWW

Grenade/M320 or shooting the bitches in a suicide attack to allow someone else to arm. OMG WTF

Rush whiners are hilarious. The only issue is the nerf to destruction allowing for stronger chokepoints. Frankly, arming the crates should've been the only way to do the gametype since BC1. Cheese methods are broke and ruin the mode.

Kak.efes

Is there anything more rage inducing than squad death match? Two of my teammates were mortaring, while we had a 43 to 41 edge against another squad. Luckily we won, but if we lost that game, I'm pretty sure there'd be a huge hole in the middle of my flat screen.

I'm liking the SA-80. It's got great range, manageable recoil, and a burst mode that's way better than either the AN-94 (which still sucks), and the FAMAS.

scogoth

Is there anything more rage inducing than squad death match? Two of my teammates were mortaring, while we had a 43 to 41 edge against another squad. Luckily we won, but if we lost that game, I'm pretty sure there'd be a huge hole in the middle of my flat screen.

I'm liking the SA-80. It's got great range, manageable recoil, and a burst mode that's way better than either the AN-94 (which still sucks), and the FAMAS.

I just ask you one thing, why?

Buying BF3 then playing sqdm is like buying Yankee Stadium and playing t-ball in it.

yes, the SOFLAM continues to lock targets after you respawn. well, until the patch nerfs it anyway...

TUGS I'm guessing.

On a related note, playing damavand conquest last night, dropped a tugs, died, and noticed 10 min later when I was now playing support that I was getting mad spot points. Turns out my tugs was still there detecting people. It stayed the entire match, and never disappeared despite multiple class switches, deaths, and so on.

yeah, that was a great functionality until DICE nerfed it on PS3. now when you respawn, all your recon equipment blows up... and yet somehow they made C4 stick around and let you detonate it when you respawn.

it was either this way or the BC1/1943 way.

see, the best counter to the IRNV was counter-IRNV, but now with the increased time to settle after ADS, the already prone guy still using the IRNV has a big advantage!

the majority? let's not get carried away!

0/10 Valparaíso
1/6 Isla Inocentes
2/8 Atacama Desert
2/10 Arica Harbor
2/6 White Pass
0/10 Laguna Presa
3/8 Port Valdez
3/6 Nelson Bay
1/10 Oasis
2/8 Harvest Day
2/6 Cold War

that's 18/88 that can be collapsed and i'm not even counting Vietnam!

and Jihad Vehicle? that's why there are AT Mines, Rockets, C4, Grenade Launchers, LMG's, etc... though i think BC1 handled Jihad on crates best... if your C4 was on a vehicle, it did 0 damage to crates. that solved the problem of doing a ton/all damage at once without a physical presence at the crate while still keeping the avenue of grinding it down from afar open as an option.

Divius

Guisse. Listen. Listen, guisse. I once did thi-GUYS LISTEN!- I once did this on Metro conquest with 64 players. Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom