• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wthermans

Banned
New Blog: B2K Reviews

Why no Sharqi trailer?

EDIT:

Kotaku:

wat

There goes DICE ruining good things again. Why change the way maps are originally laid out? Wake, Karkand, and Sharqi should all be Conquest Assault as they originally were. The only map that works with normal Conquest is Karkand. Wake is too small for RU to have a uncappable base (making the airfield uncappable is stupid since the airfield is the central point between the two peninsulas) and Sharqi has no room for to add an uncap for USMC (unless they're trying to make the TV Station uncap which is extremely disappointing).

Wthermans

Banned
Well its not the issue that snipers face at close range. The difficult is tracking a target. Its even a problem at medium range. The time it takes to scope makes it so your target is behind cover again before you could ever fire a shot.

You didnt play with me and scogoth. It was a pretty broken game mechanic. The only threat were medic chains.

You shouldn't be able to track a close target easily with the 7x and higher scopes. That's what the Red Dot and ACOG is for. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You shouldn't be able to track a close target easily with the 7x and higher scopes. That's what the Red Dot and ACOG is for. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yea if they want to be viable in CQC, they should equipping the other scopes and using the semi auto rifles which are very good for close/medium encounters.

What do we have here...

Ubgbg.jpg

Spl1nter

I dont think that analogy really works. You can still shoot people at long range with the red dot and acog. Im not saying that the 7x or 8x scope should scope as quickly as others, just that the process for scoping makes it difficult to stay on target. Its an issue at medium ranges as well.

There goes DICE ruining good things again. Why change the way maps are originally laid out? Wake, Karkand, and Sharqi should all be Conquest Assault as they originally were. The only map that works with normal Conquest is Karkand. Wake is too small for RU to have a uncappable base (making the airfield uncappable is stupid since the airfield is the central point between the two peninsulas) and Sharqi has no room for to add an uncap for USMC (unless they're trying to make the TV Station uncap which is extremely disappointing).

The article is wrong.

wakelarge.jpg

sharqipen64.jpg

I dont have a pic of the 7 flag Karkand verison.

sp3000

Where did you see that RU gets an uncap on Wake? On the PC 64 player version map it shows that they get no uncap. Same with Sharqi. Are you looking at the Conquest assault versions?

Guided rockets still take one hit, but the range of the CITV station is slightly reduced and the lock on time is slightly increased. Also and this really should be for every laser designation tool, full line of sight should be required. If the target is behind some bushes or a barrier, you won't be able to lock on. If your target goes infront of something sizable (like a building), the lock on resets completely.

I think the bigger question is WHY should the tank be able to engage air targets with dedicated weaponry at all? It's a daft idea to begin with, and the fact that guided shells are one hit kills take that daftness into jaw dropping "how the fuck did anyone think this was a good idea" territory.

With the planned patch, two out of three of the tank's weapon systems are now one hit kills against helicopters. As has already been pointed out in this thread helicopters are now more vulnerable to tanks than fucking jeeps. That is insane! The main role of attack helicopters, both in real life, and previously in this game is to kill tanks. Now tanks are the most effective anti helicopter vehicles in the game. What is the role of helicopters now supposed to be? Target practice for everyone else?

Also laser designator should have a trade off that it is a laser. CITV and laser painter (on the heli) should both look like the soflam. As in a bright red light. It is so annoying being painted and having absolutely no idea where it is coming from.

This is a great idea. Having said that they are clearly trying to boost the number of people using SOFLAM/javellin with the latest changes so probably want it a bit overpowered for now anyway.

I totally agree in regards to the CITV station. You should at minimum be able to break the lock like you would with chaff or flares.

Also, played my first couple of rounds of squad deathmatch. It's surprisingly fun!

Blitzzz

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Booted up saved campaign on PS3 this morning, fame tries to load, eventually get kicked back to main menu with message "cannot connect to EA online"??

Anyone seen this before, got any ideas? Internet connection is fine and it's only for campaign wtf??

I had this bug on "Fear no Evil"... just replay the mission instead of reloading the save file. That fixed it for me

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That is not their main role in real life, majority of weapons on modern attack choppers are not for use against battle tanks. They are general fire support platforms.

A large part of that support they provide is to take out armored vehicles for ground troops.

paskowitz

I think the bigger question is WHY should the tank be able to engage air targets with dedicated weaponry at all? It's a daft idea to begin with, and the fact that guided shells are one hit kills take that daftness into jaw dropping "how the fuck did anyone think this was a good idea" territory.

With the planned patch, two out of three of the tank's weapon systems are now one hit kills against helicopters. As has already been pointed out in this thread helicopters are now more vulnerable to tanks than fucking jeeps. That is insane! The main role of attack helicopters, both in real life, and previously in this game is to kill tanks. Now tanks are the most effective anti helicopter vehicles in the game. What is the role of helicopters now supposed to be? Target practice for everyone else?

This is a great idea. Having said that they are clearly trying to boost the number of people using SOFLAM/javellin with the latest changes so probably want it a bit overpowered for now anyway.

I have only been shot down once by a tank's main gun and that was because I was hovering for like 30 seconds like a fool.

On the role of helicopters, they usually engage armored targets from a distance with radar. They pop up behind a hill or tree line and fire. They only get in close if they are engaging infantry, light armor (jeeps), or buildings. And when they do this it is in the form of a strafe.

Although I agree. Planes should be the main threat helicopters not tanks and fucking IGLA/SAMs.

ziadoz

Neo Member
I can't believe they are going to nerf the Stingers down to 50% damage. No matter how much I try I still can't take anything down with them. I wait for the pilot to deploy their IR Flares whilst holding the lock, then fire. Not even a damn hit, even when they are in range. I've even seen jets outrun my missile. How the heck am I supposed to take aircraft down? I'm sick of constantly getting destroyed by invincible circle strafing choppers of doom.

A large part of that support they provide is to take out armored vehicles for ground troops.

Armored vehicles is more than just battle tanks. You also have support vehicles and direct infantry support roles. That is why they are given an assortment of armament for different targets. They are meant as close support for infantry able to take on all comers, their biggest weakness of course being other air units.

paskowitz

I can't believe they are going to nerf the Stingers down to 50% damage. No matter how much I try I still can't take anything down with them. I wait for the pilot to deploy their IR Flares whilst holding the lock, then fire. Not even a damn hit, even when they are in range. I've even seen jets outrun my missile. How the heck am I supposed to take aircraft down? I'm sick of constantly getting destroyed by invincible circle strafing choppers of doom.

The only way you are having trouble is if there are two people in the chopper volleying flairs, in which case, as 1 man, you should not be able to take them out. But combine your lock on with a friends and the chopper is done for. Or buddy up with a recon and soflam/javalin the chopper.

commish

Armored vehicles is more than just battle tanks. You also have support vehicles and direct infantry support roles. That is why they are given an assortment of armament for different targets. They are meant as close support for infantry able to take on all comers, their biggest weakness of course being other air units.

Yeah, but niggling about the definition of armored vehicles aside, his point still remains.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It happens alot when you are assualting, and when your AR takes several hits to kill a person and the sniper simply one shots you up close, it is bullshit. It was bullshit in BC2, will be bullshit here. Many recon players get extremely good at it and you basically get the quick scope like crap that happens in COD. Sniper rifles should be for one they are made for, sniping. They want to improve Recon use in CQC, then they should concentrate on other things than making sniper rifles viable cqc weapon.
I think it's balanced by the fact that recon is pretty much done for in close range if they miss. Plus, if you're assaulting and expect CQC you'd be packing buckshot instead of an AR.

ziadoz

Neo Member
The only way you are having trouble is if there are two people in the chopper volleying flairs, in which case, as 1 man, you should not be able to take them out. But combine your lock on with a friends and the chopper is done for. Or buddy up with a recon and soflam/javalin the chopper.

I'm not sure why they allowed the pilot and gunner to have IR flares, it's just overkill. It seems to make them all but invincible in the right hands; especially since no one uses the SOFLAM. If the SOFLAM worked more like binoculars instead of having to be placed on flat ground maybe it would be more effective.

Ironically when I'm a pilot I have the exact opposite problem with stingers and heat seekers. I fire my IR flares once the beeping sound is solid (meaning the missile is heading towards me right?) but I still get hit every time. Even when I try to evade by circling and strafing I still get hit.

Perhaps I just need more practice on both sides of the coin.

I think it's balanced by the fact that recon is pretty much done for in close range if they miss. Plus, if you're assaulting and expect CQC you'd be packing buckshot instead of an AR.

It often takes longer in basic modes (non hardcore) usually to take someone down with buckshot than with an AR sadly unless using an auto shotty which many don't have unlocked. Frankly I would prefer slugs which up close are pretty much instant kill. Most people want versatility in combat though, shotguns are highly limited while AR/Carbines are viable short to medium range so they work perfect for assaulting.

But in the same token, the Recon players all have access to the same shot guns also in a CQC situation, they have access to many unlocks that are good at multitudes of ranges.

Recon don't need their sniper rifles being viable in CQC, they just need as a class more of a role in that situation to make it useful for the team. A recon in a CQC battle has little benefit to the team, their class is more designed for larger more open maps. Buffing the effect of their rifles doesn't do much to help the team while the other classes have actual roles that benefit the team and others in those close quarters battles. Sneaking in and placing spawns are helpful, but as been complained about by other Recon players, you get crappy points for it compared to the other support abilities of the classes, hence they should increase the points gained for recon abilities to compensate

commish

Outside of that statement not being true? Yea tanks should not be the superior AA choice, I would agree on that part, but it's not what I was pointing out either.

His point is that helicopters often function as tank killers, and excel at the task, yet in this game, tanks can easily take out choppers. You seem to want to argue about his use of the word "main", but it's silly to argue against the fact that a SIGNIFICANT role for attack helicopters is take out tanks (and other armored vehicles). I guess I'm not sure what your point is, other than to say choppers take out other shit (which no one said that didn't).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It often takes longer in basic modes (non hardcore) usually to take someone down with buckshot than with an AR sadly unless using an auto shotty which many don't have unlocked. Frankly I would prefer slugs which up close are pretty much instant kill. Most people want versatility in combat though, shotguns are highly limited while AR/Carbines are viable short to medium range so they work perfect for assaulting.
Point taken. The DAO-12 is kind of hilariously broken with buckshot. Hoping the devs don't notice for awhile.

What the hell? I thought the tower on Caspian was supposed to be indestructible? Just went down in my last game.

Edit: Oh, apparently after the patches it will fall in conquest after a team drops to 10 tickets. Lame.

Spl1nter

Yeah, I just noticed so. I've not been on BF much since the patches so it was a shock to see it going down. Sucks that we can't yet destroy it. (holding out hope)
If one team is lower than 25 tickets: tower becomes destructible

Than if one team is lower than 10 tickets: tower auto collapses

Megasoum

Banned
It's not that it becomes destructable at 20 tickets. The tower automatically fall down when one of the team get down to 20. It's all scripted.

If one team is lower than 25 tickets: tower becomes destructible

Than if one team is lower than 10 tickets: tower auto collapses

There's a video that was posted a couple pages ago that shows you can destroy it when you're under 20 tickets or so.

20/25 tickets is about 10 seconds of gametime on a full 64 player server.
So you get like 5 seconds to destroy it yourself before it auto-collapses? That hardly counts. I want it destructible all the time. :(

I3rand0

The MAV killing is getting ridiculous. My two favorite maps are Sienne and Metro, and both are just infested with kiddies ram-rodding people.

I've seen DICE comment on it, and say its not intended, but there's no changes taking plus thus far? It's making me want to uninstall.

Norua

Banned
20/25 tickets is about 10 seconds of gametime on a full 64 player server.
So you get like 5 seconds to destroy it yourself before it auto-collapses? That hardly counts. I want it destructible all the time. :(

No it's not. It depends on the situation (number of flags per team).
We destroyed it yesterday with Penny and Cuban and it was awesome. We kept nine-elevening the thing during the whole round before knowing we had to wait for the tickets to be at 25/30.

Spl1nter > When are you coming back?

los

Is the tower destruction scripted, as in does it always fall the same? Or does it vary depending on you hit it?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The MAV killing is getting ridiculous. My two favorite maps are Sienne and Metro, and both are just infested with kiddies ram-rodding people.

I've seen DICE comment on it, and say its not intended, but there's no changes taking plus thus far? It's making me want to uninstall.
Can't they be taken down with stingers?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Did anyone else have to re DL 4GB+ of data with this patch? I'm already on the Russian version which was strangely patched out of the description when it used to say Battlefield 3 Russian Version and now it says Battlefield 3. The last patch worked with that alternate exe and I already got one for this new patch but I'm just waiting for the actualy patch to finish before seeing if I need the english language file again.

Anyone deal with this yet have any tips so I know before doing this in a bit?

I haven't been playing because I've been too lazy to DL the patch on my 360k a sec connection.

We destroyed it yesterday with Penny and Cuban and it was awesome. We kept nine-elevening the thing during the whole round before knowing we had to wait for the tickets to be at 25/30.

Ok, sure. In circumstances such as the losing team having the majority of the flags and very little killing going on it'll drag on a tad.
But even then it's still a small window in which you can kill it.

On a tangent, what happened to the Eurogaf server? It's been dead for weeks.
Has everyone been stuck in Skyrim and given up?

commish

Those are some really bad stats and that is really odd.

83 hours and only 153 SPM

Do you know that one pubbie who sits at the bottom on the score list, always sniping on some dumb rock and finishes the round with 4 kills and 13 deaths? This is that guy. Spends half his time as recon and his kpm with the snipe rifle is .17.

commish

Spl1nter > When are you coming back?

Nine-elevening the thing? Really? I'm the last guy on the planet to be PC, but... I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom