• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I scared the shit out of myself with the soflam today. Was hiding in the hills on Kharg Island, rotated soflam 180 degrees to get a chopper lock and saw a recon just standing there watching.

I thought it was someone waiting to knife me but it was actually my soldier standing there like a goon.

I just started using the thing, I keep getting lit up. Is there a way to use the soflam from prone position?

If you exit the soflam after deploying, you can go wherever you like and use it by activating the little controller. Don't go near any resupply boxes though, because then the new SOFLAM will override the old one.

If you exit the soflam after deploying, you can go wherever you like and use it by activating the little controller. Don't go near any resupply boxes though, because then the new SOFLAM will override the old one.

That is awesome. I was using this thing completely wrong.

If I just drop one it will target by itself right? Do I get points for that?

Ok I am so sick of being killed by guided shell in helicopters. They have become the best weapon by far to kill helicopters. I'm sneaking from cover to cover and still get lazed and aced almost instantly.

Anyone have a strategy that works? Other than get out of the heli ;)

As already said, all you can do is use the ECM. Of course if you do this you will likely now lose every single helicopter duel. The best thing to do is work out where they are hiding and tv missile them from miles away. No TV Missile? Better get used to dying!

demolitio

As already said, all you can do is use the ECM. Of course if you do this you will likely now lose every single helicopter duel. The best thing to do is work out where they are hiding and tv missile them from miles away. No TV Missile? Better get used to dying!

This is what really sucks about the choppers. The pilot will use ECM but that doesn't handle it all so the gunner basically needs flares unless it's a map where you can make a quick escape behind objects or terrain. So basically, there's neat things like zoom and thermal optics but you'll never use them as a gunner if you value your life.

Basically, they force your hand on specializations unless the enemy team is really stupid. EVERY gunner should have the zoom no matter what or at least make a different specialization category for zoom, thermal, etc. compared to flares and other defensive shit.

They took away things from every aircraft while giving more ways for people on the ground to take you out so you lose on both fronts. They nerfed everything involving the air in this game and it's a damn shame. With that being said, we did have one game where mr_nothin and I were in sync and destroyed the other team but that's a rare thing anymore because every tank uses guided shells now along with countless engineers and mobile and base AA that are constantly shooting you.

When it works, it works. But that's rare. It's like all the lead designers were previously frustrated ground troops in BF2 who always got killed by aircraft so now they have their revenge by making them worthless.

EDIT: I'm excited that B2K is releasing at 3AM here too. It means I'm staying up for a while tomorrow night. :D

Spl1nter

EDIT: I'm excited that B2K is releasing at 3AM here too. It means I'm staying up for a while tomorrow night. :D

That is probably a bad idea. They will have to roll out the server update and then admins have to update to B2K maps. Best to go to sleep and play in the morning.

Divius

Ok I am so sick of being killed by guided shell in helicopters. They have become the best weapon by far to kill helicopters. I'm sneaking from cover to cover and still get lazed and aced almost instantly.

Anyone have a strategy that works? Other than get out of the heli ;)
If you fly really high, tanks can't reach that far up. If people have javelins though you're still fucked.

I love sitting in the CITV station and locking things when my tankdriver deploys his smoke and frantically starts looking around. Poor guy thinks he's constantly getting locked onto.

See chopper players rocking the maps left and right scoring crazy points. Is this just alot of fear from pilots for the future because the good pilots seem to be doing just fine with them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am rarely in choppers anyway, I'm an okay pilot but rather be in the gunner seat.

I'm still bitter about BC2's lay-waste-to-buildings-and-trollolololol helicopter circle fucks. So any buffs against air is fine with me. :|

So the F2000 can't take undermount attachments, but you can still carry your M302 around as a separate weapon anyways. Is there any advantage to actually having it undermount? Does it weapon switch faster?

wtfisthisshitrhjho.jpg

1268106801093kbjhg.jpg

Always get put on losing team.
They should just remove teamswitching.

So the F2000 can't take undermount attachments, but you can still carry your M302 around as a separate weapon anyways. Is there any advantage to actually having it undermount? Does it weapon switch faster?

Yea it's much faster to switch to the underslung and back to the rifle. Taking the launcher by itself makes it take longer to switch back and forth.

scogoth

I'm still bitter about BC2's lay-waste-to-buildings-and-trollolololol helicopter circle fucks. So any buffs against air is fine with me. :|

That was only a console problem. PC heli was fine and could easily be taken down by AA, M136, Tracer darts, Tanks, pebbles and marshmallows.

Kak.efes

I had no idea you could kill people with the defibrillator. It's the ultimate troll kill.

Also, laser pointer + guided missile on the scout helicopter is way more affective against air than heat seekers. If only the range on the laser pointer was longer, I'd never die.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Maintenance tomorrow morning for XBOX 360 and PC is happening between 10:00 and 11:00 CET.

I think that's between 4:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M. EST, but I never know whether it's Daylight Savings Time or not, and converting time has always been foreign to me.

Spl1nter

Maintenance tomorrow morning for XBOX 360 and PC is happening between 10:00 and 11:00 CET.

I think that's between 4:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M. EST, but I never know whether it's Daylight Savings Time or not, and converting time has always been foreign to me.

So dont stay up otherwise waiting to play at 3:00 am EST because you wont be able to play.

Sucks that Back to Karkand is out the same day I am going to see The Dark Knight Rises prologue. Will probably be waiting in line to see it, cutting down on KARKAND TIME.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sucks that Back to Karkand is out the same day I am going to see The Dark Knight Rises prologue. Will probably be waiting in line to see it, cutting down on KARKAND TIME.
Pretty sure that half of the large CQ servers are gonna be B2K all day for a month or so. The people missing out are going to be the ones that like BF3's air maps.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
That is awesome. I was using this thing completely wrong.

If I just drop one it will target by itself right? Do I get points for that?

I haven't really noticed points from auto-targeting, but put it on an area with a good view of where tanks will be and you can find out yourself. Still, manual targeting is most reliable.

I am SO glad I have tomorrow off before finals. Really, the urban maps look glorious, everything I was hoping for out of BF3, but in better scale than Grand Bazaar. :D

mcp

Neo Member
I DON'T CARE! BUFF ALL THE ANTI-AIRS!

Why not just play infantry only and be done with it? Or are tanks etc ok?

I think the jets are pretty well balanced in BF3 at the moment. They could maybe do with a little bit more power against stuff on the ground but I don't have much trouble popping tanks at the moment in them.

Helis though just seem like a waste of time at the moment. At least for me as I don't have many unlocks in them yet. I love flying them especially the little bird but it really feels like I am just wasting my ticket on them.

That said I did manage to steal the enemy little bird on Kharg last night. Took off, killed the guy who had got out to repair it and then got a few kills before GUIDED SHELLLLLL!!!!!! Fun while it lasted.

Then I retreated to fly servers where there are still people in tanks with guided shells...

TheSeks

Why not just play infantry only and be done with it? Or are tanks etc ok?

Tanks are balanced. Air vehicles (before BF3) aren't. It's simple. Tanks have AT Mines, RPGs. Jets (before Stinger) had...? Maybe 1-2 anti-air options on the map and those could be taken out to TROLLOLOLOLOL from the air forever and ever.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I wish we could shoot the helicopters in BF3 like we can there. Then people would walk the dinosaur on the ground like proper players and help me take the damn objectives. :|
Good air will definitely help you take objectives by providing air support and clearing the ground. There is very little teamwork in a pub server though.

TheSeks

Good air will definitely help you take objectives by providing air support and clearing the ground. There is very little teamwork in a pub server though.

Jet pilots need to get on the ground at times. There's times where I could use more bodies making the enemy ignore their objectives to let me sneak in but NOPE LET'S GO UP IN THE AIR TO GET SHOT DOWN EVEN THOUGH WE'RE LOW ON TICKETS! LOL!

I have yet to see good jet or helicopter pilots outside of maybe 5 randoms in the past month.

mcp

Neo Member
Jet pilots need to get on the ground at times. There's times where I could use more bodies making the enemy ignore their objectives to let me sneak in but NOPE LET'S GO UP IN THE AIR TO GET SHOT DOWN EVEN THOUGH WE'RE LOW ON TICKETS! LOL!

I have yet to see good jet or helicopter pilots outside of maybe 5 randoms in the past month.

I can see that on consoles. But on PC on a 64 player server you have a max of two per side in jets. That leaves 30 on 30 doing everything else. And if those jet pilots are competant then there are less tanks and helis to deal with on the ground.

Has anyone seen people still using IRNV since the nerf? I haven't seen a single person using it
including myself now lol
since they basically made it useless. Good riddance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Air kind of cancels each other out. If one side had good air and the other side had no air things would get a little rough for the grunts.

And yeah, most people are either awful or godlike in the air, with not much in between. That makes it tough to balance.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Has anyone seen people still using IRNV since the nerf? I haven't seen a single person using it
including myself now lol

I sometimes use it when I pick up someone else's gun or when I forget it's been changed. It's definitely worse than before, but it's not useless. It really varies by map, and I think it's a bit bugged.

scogoth

Air kind of cancels each other out. If one side had good air and the other side had no air things would get a little rough for the grunts.

And yeah, most people are either awful or godlike in the air, with not much in between. That makes it tough to balance.

Balance it so awful pilots can kill people then us godlike pilots can rain down the wrath of the heavens on those peasant earth folk.

TheSeks

Balance it so awful pilots can kill people then us godlike pilots can rain down the wrath of the heavens on those peasant earth folk.

Meanwhile, you can deal with my LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK from inside buildings, dumping your flares while I cackle and one hit KO you with my Stinger.

Everyone wins!

But seriously: Air vehicles in BF before 3 sucked hardcore in balance because all someone had to do was take the anti-air options out. I'm mostly okay with the anti-air and air options in BF3 now. People that whine about locks need to get out of hotspots/fly low. The only issue is flares being an unlock in addition to "under the radar" being a higher level unlock. But giving those two out would probably make them unstoppable on lower level players.

aperman

Neo Member

I'd actually like to think I'm decent in the air. Definitely not godlike, but enough to hold my own for at least a couple minutes and can spot those who are awful and take them down with relative ease...

including myself now lol

Still works well in close quarters combat and have seen others using it. Also works well on Tehran highway being the only night map. It's use is very situational

TheSeks

Yes but after 135 hours its time for something new. Next week put them back in.

Let me tell you, I'm disappointed with Karkand after all the hype from BF2 people. It's not amazing. It's frustrating. Snipers all up on the roof. SMH. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom