• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Let me tell you, I'm disappointed with Karkand after all the hype from BF2 people. It's not amazing. It's frustrating. Snipers all up on the roof. SMH. :/

Nothing can live up to that kind of hype, I do admit. That said, the map is the greatest map in the history of mankind.

mcp

Neo Member
But seriously: Air vehicles in BF before 3 sucked hardcore in balance because all someone had to do was take the anti-air options out. I'm mostly okay with the anti-air and air options in BF3 now. People that whine about locks need to get out of hotspots/fly low. The only issue is flares being an unlock in addition to "under the radar" being a higher level unlock. But giving those two out would probably make them unstoppable on lower level players.

My issue with guided shell is that there is no way that I know of to distinguish it from a regular lock on and then no countermeasure. With flares you get shot at and you use your flares leaving you vulnerable to a follow up shot. So you either have to get the hell out of dodge or you are going to get killed.

With guided shell you just get killed. Perhaps they could take a page from real life and you would get a laser warning that is seperate to a missile lock. If you see a laser warning you know get the hell behind something fast. That said in real life you most likely wouldn't get any warning for an IR stinger launch other than your eyes.

scogoth

My issue with guided shell is that there is no way that I know of to distinguish it from a regular lock on and then no countermeasure. With flares you get shot at and you use your flares leaving you vulnerable to a follow up shot. So you either have to get the hell out of dodge or you are going to get killed.

With guided shell you just get killed. Perhaps they could take a page from real life and you would get a laser warning that is seperate to a missile lock. If you see a laser warning you know get the hell behind something fast. That said in real life you most likely wouldn't get any warning for an IR stinger launch other than your eyes.

It is has a different lock on sound to distinguish it from a regular lock on and the counter measure is ECM jammer or getting out of line of sight.

sp3000

Meanwhile, you can deal with my LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK from inside buildings, dumping your flares while I cackle and one hit KO you with my Stinger.

Everyone wins!

But seriously: Air vehicles in BF before 3 sucked hardcore in balance because all someone had to do was take the anti-air options out. I'm mostly okay with the anti-air and air options in BF3 now. People that whine about locks need to get out of hotspots/fly low. The only issue is flares being an unlock in addition to "under the radar" being a higher level unlock. But giving those two out would probably make them unstoppable on lower level players.

No they didn't. You obviously never played BF2. Jets were more overpowered in that then every other vehicle combined and so were helis. The chopper nerf is stupid as hell with 64 players, because its obviously designed with 24 players in mind. You have locks in almost every location, from jets if you fly high and from stingers if you fly low and from javelins if you fly pretty much anywhere which you can't even flare because it's useless against it. The soflam and javelin combo pretty much makes every aircraft useless.

DICE needs to get it out of there heads that a 24 player game can be balanced with the same rules as a 64 game. It's probably fine on consoles but it's utterly stupid on PC.

Nothing can live up to that kind of hype, I do admit. That said, the map is the greatest map in the history of mankind.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

So true.

And yes, BF2 people are hyped for the BF3 versions of the maps, not the gimped versions
grin.gif

mcp

Neo Member
It is has a different lock on sound to distinguish it from a regular lock on and the counter measure is ECM jammer or getting out of line of sight.

It does have a different sound? Hmm to youtube then I guess. Maybe i'm always just being locked up with regular missles at the same time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Try it with 64 players and the proper amount of flags.

Soon...

It's still a shit map. To get a sniper, you have to counter sniper or climb the really long ladders since DICE couldn't add multi-floor options to the buildings. Take out a building? It's basically hollow. So disappointing and the map itself is no Deconstruction. :/

They should rename the map Shoots and Ladders because that's all it is. Even BF2/P4F's Karkand had more shit inside buildings to allow people to get closer to snipers than BF3 does.

It does have a different sound? Hmm to youtube then I guess. Maybe i'm always just being locked up with regular missles at the same time.

If you're playing on 64 player servers there's rarely a second that goes by without someone having a lock on you.
It gets to the point where those sounds are just the normal operation of the aircraft. Hard to tell if you're going down or not. :p

TheSeks

If you're playing on 64 player servers there's rarely a second that goes by without someone having a lock on you.
It gets to the point where those sounds are just the normal operation of the aircraft. Hard to tell if you're going down or not. :p

I've gotten used to "LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK!*BOOM*" happening to me. Really no need to carry flares anymore since someone will get you eventually.

mcp

Neo Member

I can pick up the faster higher pitched beepbeepbeep of a regular missile launch over that din pretty easlily. I have a Pavlovian flare release response to that. Laser locks though I have no idea what they sound like. Though I do get suspicious when I hear a lock on for ages with no missile launch sound. I'm usually trying to run away / hide behind cover at that point.

There is no way in a real plane that you would miss the missile launch tone. That shit is loud (At least in DCS A-10).

I've gotten used to "LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCK!*BOOM*" happening to me. Really no need to carry flares anymore since someone will get you eventually.

Yeah, you need to be a pretty fantastic pilot/hide on the outstkirts to stay alive in the helicopters. But even that won't save you from the ungodly death machine that is the mobile-AA.
I play, mostly, with just one other person and without a competent team there's really no point being in the air until you go out and kill that thing yourself.

Yeah, you need to be a pretty fantastic pilot/hide on the outstkirts to stay alive in the helicopters. But even that won't save you from the ungodly death machine that is the mobile-AA.
I play, mostly, with just one other person and without a competent team there's really no point being in the air until you go out and kill that thing yourself.

Guided rockets take care of it pretty easily. You can hit it away from lock range. If you have someone with TV Guided even better.

You just got to be on the look out and aware of the spawn times.

God jet pilots are the biggest threat.

Guided rockets take care of it pretty easily. You can hit it away from lock range. If you have someone with TV Guided even better.

You just got to be on the look out and aware of the spawn times.

God jet pilots are the biggest threat.

I don't have guided rockets yet because every time I'm in the air I am promptly turned into charred swiss cheese by the mobile-AA.
There have been a few times where I've gotten into the air before it got into the action, taken it out and stayed on top of it whenever it respawned thereafter.
But asides from that I have to live with frequent deaths until I grind my way to the guided rockets unlock.

I don't find jets too bad to be honest. I'm usually pretty good at avoiding their fire but then they just get sick of me and ram into my side/back to solve the issue. :(

demolitio

I swear, today would of course be the day that my GPU fan didn't even start up when I turned my computer on. I've had problems with it having a mind of its own and it got worse this week so I expected it to come crashing down today. Looks like I might take the side panel off and stick a fan right on that sucker just so I can play a few games tonight.

I was hoping to get a new one after Christmas with gift cards but I knew Murphy and his fucking law couldn't help but intervene. I'll be lucky to get one after Christmas since my $2500 deductible is due in January and I usually meet it a few weeks in sadly enough...lol

Spl1nter

The weapon values are up for B2K. Some values may be incorrect.

http://symthic.com/?s=bf3&sb=btk

Recon really needs some love. The SVD, Mk11, M39 and new QBU-88 are all carbon copies except for reloading. The L96, SV98 and M40 have minimal differences in muzzle velocity. The m98b and sks are the only unique rifles. The sniper rifles all use the same scopes making them feel the same gameplay wise.

mr_nothin

Banned
I swear, today would of course be the day that my GPU fan didn't even start up when I turned my computer on. I've had problems with it having a mind of its own and it got worse this week so I expected it to come crashing down today. Looks like I might take the side panel off and stick a fan right on that sucker just so I can play a few games tonight.

I was hoping to get a new one after Christmas with gift cards but I knew Murphy and his fucking law couldn't help but intervene. I'll be lucky to get one after Christmas since my $2500 deductible is due in January and I usually meet it a few weeks in sadly enough...lol
1 word: Donation
:p

That sucks so much! Only a few hours before B2K too!

demolitio

1 word: Donation
:p

That sucks so much! Only a few hours before B2K too!

I knew it was going to fucking happen. That was the worst part...knowing your GPU's demise was coming and knowing it'd happen right before B2K releases. Hell if that's going to stop me from putting a huge fan pointing right on it so I can get some games in tonight.

One nice thing though...This is the quietest this room has ever been without that fan going..lol

Maintenance tomorrow morning for XBOX 360 and PC is happening between 10:00 and 11:00 CET.

I think that's between 4:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M. EST, but I never know whether it's Daylight Savings Time or not, and converting time has always been foreign to me.

Thank God!! Games on 360 yesterday were laggy turds most of the time. Hopefully the server maintenance coupled with the patch remedies the stutters.

i'm disappointed in Wa Isl, i like the other 3 maps
yeah only 3 flags in CQ for consoles is puzzling considering Wake in 1943 has 5 flags.

How does Rush play out for consoles on the B2K maps? How many MCOM sets are there per map?
The one thing I was disappointed with in the Vietnam expansion for BC2 was that Rush only had 3 sets of MCOM's. The matches felt like they ended too quickly.

TheSeks

How does Rush play out for consoles on the B2K maps? How many MCOM sets are there per map?
The one thing I was disappointed with in the Vietnam expansion for BC2 was that Rush only had 3 sets of MCOM's. The matches felt like they ended too quickly.

3-4 sets. But they're decently spaced.

I'm disappointed with Wake AND Karkand. I'm surprised at how much I like Oman and Shaqi because I was all "meh, show more Wake!" toward the reveals of those. Guess it goes to show: Boring Conquest (AKA: 3 flags) ruins everything and not having detailed insides is worse than having insides as all (sup hollow buildings in Karkand?)

A.R.K

So I am finally getting some kills and winning the battles after some sweet unlocks for my M4 :)...The game is freakin addictive.

I have a question about the mines, how do they work? I hardly see them detonating where I place them even if ppl or vehicles pass by there.

Wthermans

Banned
Meanwhile, you can deal with my LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK from inside buildings, dumping your flares while I cackle and one hit KO you with my Stinger.

Everyone wins!

Flying low doesn't break lock. And all it takes is 2-3 stingers and/or AA to lock down a map where airpower won't do anything to help the ground troops. But it sounds like you just want to play a BF where airpower is ineffectual.

Really the whole problem is that caps aren't spread enough. It's far to easy to keep airpower away from 3-4 caps if you've got a good position with a stinger.

Choppers definitely feel weak, and that's on consoles. Can only imagine on PC it's hard to stay alive for five seconds.

If it was me balancing the game I'd probably make the relationship of stingers to choppers about the same as stingers to jets, in which it's pretty damn hard to take out a jet as a single engineer (they flare your first salvo then can afterburn away from your second), and have to use multiple people locking/teamwork with jets.

Right now a single engineer with the stinger/iglas > helicopters. Not great when you consider half of any server will be playing engineer, or more.

TheSeks

Anyone who has the PS3 version unlocked about to put together a list of the Assignments so that I can put it in the OP?

It'll be on Battlelog tomorrow shouldn't it be?

Engineer weapons require a torch/repairtool kill on a PERSON AND VEHICLE (vehicle after the first unlock, for instance) the rest are all easy/obvious to get: AT mine/Rocket kills on tanks. Roadkill/gun kills in the F32/DPV/whatever the B2K IFV is. Repair, resupply, heal, revives, headshots for snipers (can be done with any gun/class though so incredibly easy) playing on each of the maps for two hours for all-kit guns.

It'll be on Battlelog tomorrow shouldn't it be?

Engineer weapons require a torch/repairtool kill on a PERSON AND VEHICLE (vehicle after the first unlock, for instance) the rest are all easy/obvious to get: AT mine/Rocket kills on tanks. Roadkill/gun kills in the F32/DPV/whatever the B2K IFV is. Repair, resupply, heal, revives, headshots for snipers (can be done with any gun/class though so incredibly easy) playing on each of the maps for two hours for all-kit guns.

You can get the engineer vehicle repair tool kill on a EOD bot

Source: Me!! did it today bitches

Ryu

I really need to get with a squad of other competent players be it a chopper pilot or a chopper gunner. I have full unlocks in both tanks and the attack helicopter, but the friend I play with mostly is kind of tired of the game and I feel like I'm just getting started. Anyone interested in pairing up and taking some people on?

Also, for the choppers, ECM jammer for the pilot, IR flares for the gunner is the winning combination. Good pilot/gunner spotting > optics. All about longevity and mobility and being zoomed in killing some sniper on a rock and ignoring the chopper bearing down on you doesn't help anything as a gunner.

How come I always end up on the losing team no matter what? It's so frustrating having to cap all the Flags by yourself while the rest of your team is either flying aircraft or sniping from a distance.

I need squad-mates on the 360. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom