• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good games GAF.

Just curious, has anyone got co-op working on PC? I constantly get disconnection errors when trying to play with a friend, or via matchmaking. My ports are forwarded.

GodofWine

Played a couple games just now (PS3), and controls felt better, like way better...probably just my brain adjusted to them somehow overnight while I slept and consolidated my learnings for the day...but regardless, one concern gone.

Now, if the squad and chat works tonight, jackpot/boom/fist pump/booya.

kitch9 said:
Search this thread for Korean unlock, easy as pie.

Wasn't some EA guys saying that he did not recommend using the proxy thing?...I'm 2 hours away anyway, so I'll just watch something or play something while waiting.

Dynamic3

derFeef said:
I am really disappointed by the destruction. I expected to blow bridges up (like on Seine) - or bring that tower down on Caspian. You know... some level-changing stuff that would feel progressive. But no :(
Wow, I completely forgot about destruction. Are there any buildings you can collapse like in BC2?

On another note, I'm pretty sure I killed a dude by blowing up a tank he was standing next to. Is this possible? I hated how in BC2 you could just bail out of a vehicle when it hit zero, have it blow up in your face, and not lose a single point of health.

GodofWine

Dynamic3 said:
Wow, I completely forgot about destruction. Are there any buildings you can collapse like in BC2?

On another note, I'm pretty sure I killed a dude by blowing up a tank he was standing next to. Is this possible.

Haven't taken down a building yet...have killed a guy by blowing up his tank

Dynamic3 said:

On another note, I'm pretty sure I killed a dude by blowing up a tank he was standing next to. Is this possible? I hated how in BC2 you could just bail out of a vehicle when it hit zero, have it blow up in your face, and not lose a single point of health.
There are certain structures that will collapse as I've killed a handful of people doing so, but the level of destructibility is much less than BC2.

RotBot said:
The SOFLAM can paint air vehicles. None of my friends have Javelin or guided missiles unlocked, so I can only use it as a remote spotting camera for now.

Nice. I bet that's where the alternate fire mode comes in.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
After metro in the alpha / balpha, I'm very happy with the destruction, which is taken to the next level. I notice buildings blowing up but now the predefined "breakspots" aren't as noticeable plus the rubble from the blown up parts have their own physics and stay on the ground and whatnot.

So.
Good.

Cutwolf

Using 360 controller to fly and kb/m for everything house is the best of all worlds (especially not wanting to spend a ton on a flight stick).

Too bad I can't do shit with jets because the machine gun sucks and AA lock on is pretty damn good. Need heat seeking missiles.

LORD IN HEAVEN @ the aural assault that is Conquest on Grand Bazaar. Is that a tank making all that noise? It was insane.

And I'm happy to report that I played for a good 2 hours last night with nary a hiccup on the 360. Maybe Dice will have shit sorted sooner than we think.

spk

I think destruction is better this way for gameplay and performance on both the client and server ends. More destructibility would mean more explosion spam, with everyone running around in the open after each side races to level the entire map. That was one of the worst parts about playing BC2.

purple cobra said:
At least it seems like they're aware of the issue. Sounds like a deadzone problem. Can not think of why they changed the controls from the beta. Controls, the way the game felt was one of the big reasons why I preordered. I've always liked the Battlefield games but I thought to myself wow, they really nailed the controls this time.

Now hearing about retail version having issues, I'm not sure if I should tear the shrink wrap off the game when it gets here Friday. Hope they return the controls to the way they were in the beta.

Demize is pretty adamant that they changed nothing about the controls from beta to final. Hope it's something they can just patch.

Dynamic3 said:

Yes, if anyone is within reach of said vehicle (literally right next to it)... then they will die in the explosion. Though, there will be those who get lucky and make it far enough away.

spk said:
I think destruction is better this way for gameplay and performance on both the client and server ends. More destructibility would mean more explosion spam, with everyone running around in the open after each side races to level the entire map. That was one of the worst parts about playing BC2.

Uh, what? GTFO. Lol especially at the bolded part.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Yes, if anyone is within reach of said vehicle... then they will die in the explosion. Though, there will be those who get lucky and make it far enough away.
I was actually curious if the Flak unlock would improve survivability in these instances.

Woorloog

Banned
spk said:
I have yet to play but when i first heard of lessened destruction, this was my first thought.
It was quite cool to see the entire level level at the end of a match in BC2 though.

EDIT it wasn't the worst part of me, just that everything being destroyable didn't exactly make the maps better gameplay-wise. Some flags were annoying to fight over due no one having any cover...

spk

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Yes, if anyone is within reach of said vehicle (literally right next to it)... then they will die in the explosion. Though, there will be those who get lucky and make it far enough away.

Uh, what? GTFO. Lol especially at the bolded part.
Sorry you don't agree? Are you saying that didn't happen often?

Woorloog said:
EDIT it wasn't the worst part of me, just that everything being destroyable didn't exactly make the maps better gameplay-wise. Some flags were annoying to fight over due no one having any cover...

Yeah, it doesn't

Corky

Woorloog said:
I have yet to play but when i first heard of lessened destruction, this was my first thought.
It was quite cool to see the entire level level at the end of a match in BC2 though.

It's not a matter of there being "lessened destruction" rather given the increased scale of the maps the density of destructible objects is decreased and hence it feels like destruction overall has gone done, which I most assuredly can tell you it has not. Again, destruction has leveled up.

Screenshot_85.jpg

Corky

Mr. Snrub said:

Oh dear god, I might be jumping to conclusions here but is a battlerecorder system something reminiscent of halos theatre mode?

It's actually really lame that there's an arbitrary second disc for an arbitrary shitty campaign. You could have saved on staff resources AND disc printing costs, Dice.

Stupidhead.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
_tetsuo_ said:
It is Armageddon in the alley on Grand Bazaar.

It's fucking glorious! Haven't played enough to know for sure...but can you flank from the other side? I mean you can take a vehicle and clean up if you catch the guys all proned ;)

MNC

spk said:
It's not destructible. It's a scripted event.

@Thylander
Fredrik Thylander
@MyMeatyStick it's set-piece destruction. Gets brought down at a certain ticket count
What the fuck.

Aptos

I pre-ordered my BF3 Limited Edition as an Amazon download, and then just used the code to activate via Origin. In the 'My Games' list it accuratly shows I have the BF3 Limited Edition, but it doesn't seem like I have the "Back to Karkand" DLC. Is there any way I can verify I got the DLC?

spk

Corky said:
Oh dear god, I might be jumping to conclusions here but is a battlerecorder system something reminiscent of halos theatre mode?
Demo recording and playback system so...yes? I haven't used Halo's theater mode

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone have really buggy sound. My weapons and vehicle engine sounds cut out all the time and sometimes the volume just inexplicably lowers.

Corky said:
It's not a matter of there being "lessened destruction" rather given the increased scale of the maps the density of destructible objects is decreased and hence it feels like destruction overall has gone done, which I most assuredly can tell you it has not. Again, destruction has leveled up.

TBH, I'm fine with the destruction as it's implemented, in the scope of the game. It works well, it complements the level design, and still manages to change the game.

What kinda pisses me off is that DICE has gone back on numerous things they've been hyping. Not only did they say that the tower was destructible, that you can climb up it (removed from the beta for...what reason?), but they even showing the tower falling down as a part of their "destruction" trailer. I know it sounds like overreacting, but that just really gets under my skin.

Aptos said:
I pre-ordered my BF3 Limited Edition as an Amazon download, and then just used the code to activate via Origin. In the 'My Games' list it accuratly shows I have the BF3 Limited Edition, but it doesn't seem like I have the "Back to Karkand" DLC. Is there any way I can verify I got the DLC?

If it says you have the LE, then in all likelihood you have the LE. B2K isn't out yet, so the presence of the LE in your My Games section is proof enough.

Makoto

Metro and Peak are just awful Conquest Large maps. Just wow. The person who actually allowed these maps to go retail is a fucking idiot.

You play a few games of Bazaar and Kharg, then you go to these maps and it's just mind boggling how the fun and freedom of Conquest immediately becomes frustration.

Aptos

RibbedHero said:
If it says you have the LE, then in all likelihood you have the LE. B2K isn't out yet, so the presence of the LE in your My Games section is proof enough.

Ahhhh. I didn't know it wasn't released!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There's supposed to be a fix for being kicked by server admin. I love how the game tries to spawn you on top of the enemy as often as possible.

vidal said:
Metro and Peak are just awful Conquest Large maps. Just wow. The person who actually allowed these maps to go retail is a fucking idiot.

You play a few games of Bazaar and Kharg, then you go to these maps and it's just mind boggling how the fun and freedom of Conquest immediately becomes frustration.

At the start of the design process, the artists mocked up a number of creative briefs together with level designers Inge Jøran Holberg, Diego Jimenez and Niklas Åstrand. These briefs explain the gameplay type and idea, story and visual theme. Everyone on the Battlefield 3 development team was encouraged to vote for their favorites among the briefs and also add ideas of their own. From there, prototypes of the favorite levels were produced in so called “pods” -- pairs with a level designer and artist per map -- so the team could play them to see which ones were the most promising.

Then, the team as a whole weighed the maps against one another to see which ones would make the most compelling and diverse package to ship the game with. We finally ended up with the 9 cherry-picked multiplayer maps you can read all about here today and in yesterday’s blog post. They’re the best of the best, the maps that shone the brightest in our playtests, and the ones that combined bring out everything we want both veteran and new Battlefield players to experience in Battlefield 3 multiplayer.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

TheJerit

first i find out the tower destruction is scripted. then i see that battlerecorder is (really) most likely coming soon.

goddammit dice, i can't take this roller coaster of emotions....

Jtrizzy

Anyone out there using a controller for this game? You should drop it and pick up a logitech g-13 and use your mouse. It has a joytsick, and the buttons are nice, reprogrammable etc.

Corky said:

Yes

Recorder is needed. Its the single biggest feature not included in BF3 that COD has.

The COD theater mode in itself is the best one I have ever used, it is much better then the Halo reach version.

Makoto

Mr. Snrub said:
I don't even know how to respond to that. It's time that "Truly Mind Boggling" be trademarked for Battlefield 3. They must be BSing us and in reality, they must have some good Conquest maps hiding in the freezer that are leagues above these maps that they will sell as DLC (aside from Karkand).

vidal said:
I don't even know how to respond to that. It's time that "Truly Mind Boggling" be trademarked for Battlefield 3. They must be BSing us and in reality, they must have some good Conquest maps hiding in the freezer that are leagues above these maps that they will sell as DLC (aside from Karkand).

Bet you the karkland maps that are coming are edited and are not the originals.

They will screw those maps up too.

sp3000

Once Back to Karkand comes out I probably won't play any of the retail maps. Seriously the 5 flag limit on all of them maps sucks. Kharg is the only good one in that sense.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
gibon3z said:
Bet you the karkland maps that are coming are edited and are not the originals.

They will screw those maps up too.
Totally expecting this, it's like they have no idea what made BF popular in the first place.

bitoriginal

Can't wait to get this tomorrow, but very disapointed to hear news of scaled down destruction. Please say it aint so GAF. To me destruction is a selling point that sets the Battlefield series above any other fps.

Dakota47

For the new page:

Dakota47 said:
Someone help me out please: where do I customize my vehicle load-out?

bitoriginal said:
Can't wait to get this tomorrow, but very disapointed to hear news of scaled down destruction. Please say it aint so GAF. To me destruction is a selling point that sets the Battlefield series above any other fps.

It ain't so.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gez said:
Is this Battlelog bullshit for real? It looks like Ubisoft Always online DRM to be.

You need to look again, cupcake. Once you're in game the browser doesn't even need to be open, much less on battlelog. I leave mine open---because I'm not obsessive about how much RAM is in use---but you don't have to.

If you really want to point a finger at always online DRM, you might want to point at Origin, you'd be a lot closer to the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom