• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

doomed1 said:
In the fighter jets, as soon as you get locked on, hit the afterburners and bank. Hard. Make sure not to crash into stuff.

Dude, what?

That will just make your turning arc SUPER WIDE and make it easier for the rockets to hit you or the enemy jet to get/stay on your tail.

You'll unlock the flare after the first kill, so get on a close to empty server and try and get a kill on the jet.

-Slow down when you are on someone's tail. Only use afterburners if they are getting away.

-Slowing down and turning will always produce a smaller turning arc, so do it.

-Use the rudders for precision aiming with the autocannon! (thanks Menelaus!)

-When you are getting chased by someone, hit the decelerator or 'air brakes' and bank hard to get on your pursuer's tail.

-Another option is to do an Immelman turn:
immelmanzewg.gif

And bank hard again if needed to get on your pursuer's tail.

-Use the 3rd person view to see where your enemy jets are.

-Never engage enemy tanks or infantry unless you have unguided missiles or air to ground missiles.

-When using flares, don't deploy them when you first hear the lock on sound.
There are two stages to the lock on sound.
First stage is the enemy locking onto you.
Second stage is when the missile has been fired. DEPLOY YOUR FLARES NOW.

Using this technique, when locking onto enemy jets with your heatseekers, fire your first missile, wait for them to deploy flares and use your second missile to possibly disable them and then finish them off with your autocannon.

Toodles said:
That 'follow' gif might just be the most gloriously emergent piece of random comedy I'll see this millenium.

EDIT: ha, the filename is 'guyswait.gif'.
I admit, I laughed pretty hard looking at that gif, it is quite funny.

As for flying, I am starting to get used to it. I am using a 360 controller (360 version as well) and am really getting a feel for the right stick and rolling. I managed to take out an enemy jet and a tank earlier. For me, it is all about controlling that throttle. Slowing down when turning or coming in for a strafing run and accelerating when being locked on or coming out of a turn or out of a strafe. Helicopters though, oh man I wish they still controlled like BC2, I am having a hell of a time figuring them out.

belvedere

Junior Butler
You jet pilots out there, you using the kb/mouse, controller or flight stick?

Also, anyone have any luck with a generic controller.

Kyaw

belvedere said:
You jet pilots out there, you using the kb/mouse, controller or flight stick?

Also, anyone have any luck with a generic controller.

PS3 controller here. It works perfectly with motionjoy drivers.

The mouse controls are actually pretty decent and i think you can easily pull off some good kill if you get some practice.

Smokey

Kyaw said:

The mouse controls are actually pretty decent and i think you can easily pull off some good kill if you get some practice.

Motion joy?
Can you tell me more

belvedere

Junior Butler
Kyaw said:

Oh shit! I totally forgot they have working 64 bit Win 7 drivers now!

Yesss, fuck you generic controller!

Zeppelin

Just played some conquest on Metro. Shit was intense. RPGs and 'nades flying all over the place. I wouldn't say it's a great conquest map but it's a nice break after having played through all the other maps.

Menelaus

Banned
squidyj said:
Are we using the provided mumble now? Last night everyone was on the other server.
It's one big room for now (we're waiting to get the admin password), just like the GAF mumble battlefield channel, so no reason not to.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this was epic. Graphics are mindblowing. And it runs good. I'll be playing this for a long time + Red Orchestra 2 which evokes stronger feelings.

Also you know that your team are noobs when you're playing your first game and end up in top 3.

MrPing1000 said:
Amazon.co.uk hasn't shipped yet :(
Got mine today baby. And I believe I literally live 15 minutes from you. If you pay for the 2 day delivery they post early to get it to you in time, but in fact, it comes next day. If you pay for next day, they post on Thursday and it's delivered on Friday. Stupid, but that's how it goes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm using the 360 controller on PC for jets. The control mappings are the same for the 360, and I don't want to modify them. Unfortunately, I have no idea what button numbers describe which buttons are on the 360 pad.

Can someone post what all the buttons on the 360 pad do when flying a jet? Thanks.

Oh yeah, console players in rush mode, use that damn AMTRAC some more. That is a pretty awesome mobile spawn point and has some decent firepower as well. So many rounds last night I was the sole man moving up the map with the AMTRAC, having to switch between driver and gunner. The cannon on it has a short range, but is beastly up close and the LMG is great even from distance. The LAVs are great too, but dat AMTRAC.... So glad to see that there are amphibious vehicles other than boats though.

Heh, I have one good run in the chopper and Evilore happens to be my gunner (I'm RazzamatazUK). Christ, we got hounded by a stinger for like 5 minutes.

You know what's awesome. (SP ending spoilers)

The final part of the game not rendering a character model at all, so your dude looks like some lunatic
having a fist fight with an imaginary person in the middle of Times Square.

1stStrike

Banned
belvedere said:
Oh shit! I totally forgot they have working 64 bit Win 7 drivers now!

Yesss, fuck you generic controller!

Good call - I didn't even know about that. Time to try out BF3 on PC with a controller and see if I do better than with a mouse/keyboard.

mm04

FlyinJ said:
I'm using the 360 controller on PC for jets. The control mappings are the same for the 360, and I don't want to modify them. Unfortunately, I have no idea what button numbers describe which buttons are on the 360 pad.

Can someone post what all the buttons on the 360 pad do when flying a jet? Thanks.

I'm totally out of the loop here, but you can use 2 types of control input on PC at the same time? Friend of mine said he couldn't get his keyboard commands to work with his flight stick still plugged in. So I wrote it off. But yeah, that would be great to be able to control vehicles with a wired 360 pad while doing everything else on foot with MKB.

Tired of this performance and crashing business. I just got an awesome quadruple kill that destroyed a helicopter and my game hard crashed. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Can't believe I'm @15% on the Quit % stat (PS3)

Only way you can leave after a round is over, is the next round... it's not like I can leave right after round is finished (or maybe I'm missing something)

Only other way is XMB Quit back to it, and then start up game again

Im using the DS3 tool for pc and control jets with my PS3 controller. Its glorious but I woulndt recommend a PS3 controller for the gunplay in this game, at least in the pc version.

Smokey

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Im using the DS3 tool for pc and control jets with my PS3 controller. Its glorious but I woulndt recommend a PS3 controller for the gunplay in this game, at least in the pc version.

If it's plugged in will the game still let you use the keyboard, or no?

GraveRobberX said:

Only way you can leave after a round is over, is the next round... it's not like I can leave right after round is finished (or maybe I'm missing something)

Pretty sure the quit % is just derived from whether or not you leave the round before it actually ends. In Battlelog, you can see a list of players who left before the round ended.

Seanspeed

Banned
-Yeti said:
How are the 360 servers doing so far today? I don't wanna get home from work to another mess like yesterday. :/
Working perfectly from the couple hours I played today. Yea, yesterday was seriously frustrating.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
stupid question, but on PS3 I cannot get the jets to control inverted. I have all the options selected in the menu for inverted but it says thats for Helicopters only. Is there no way to get inverted controls when in jets?

I'm about to unlock the javelin.

But that will be for tomorrow, I need to go to work at least a little bit... :p

In the meantime, can anyone confirm the javelin can lock onto land and air vehicles?

Also does it do more damage than the stinger and rocket launcher?

Also, what's after the javelin? g36?

Is anybody having crosshair problems on the ps3? In some matches I'll have cross hairs, and in some I dont. They also come and go from spawn to spawn.

They even change shapes on the fly too... This is frustrating.

Samus4145

GraveRobberX said:

I'm at 40%. I've only quit after a new round started and I wanted to leave. Why can't I quit in between matches?

alba

Little is the new Big
Just played a few maps on the GAF server and it was fun! I mean even from Europe the lag isn't that bad and it's totally playable! Will be back there later tonight! GGs!

Drewsky

I've been playing this all day and I'm loving it, but I don't think the maps are nearly as fun as BC2. These maps are all either too close quarters with a couple vehicles shoehorned in, or they're so huge the only viable option is a flying vehicle. I don't know, maybe I just need to get used to them.

Sanic

I keep seeing talk about using a controller for vehicles on the PC, but can one be used for everything? Something i've never bothered to look at in the options.

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I'm about to unlock the javelin.

But that will be for tomorrow, I need to go to work at least a little bit... :p

In the meantime, can anyone confirm the javelin can lock onto land and air vehicles?

Also does it do more damage than the stinger and rocket launcher?

Also, what's after the javelin? g36?

Javelin is land only. Wouldn't be much point to the other launchers if this could replace them.

Javelin seems to do high damage to vehicles. I'm not positive on this, but it seemed like I was able to one-shot disable heavy tanks with it. However, you only have two rockets by default (three with EXPL spec).

I'm trying to figure out how to change the fire mode. It defaults to DIR (direct) fire, which basically fires the rocket and then it goes straight to the target. Supposedly you can choose the fire mode that launches the rocket up into the sky and then back down, to help avoid objects. Maybe it's as simple as...changing the fire mode. Didn't think of that.

G36 is after.

How do you unlock 40MM smoke for the underbarrel launcher, btw?

Hawk269

Any word when controller support for the PC version will be fixed? It is pretty sad that they fucked it up as bad as they did where some parts of the game like the QTE you cant use the controller.

I played the 360 version this morning and of course it works great, so there is not reason they could not of just copied the pad layout for the PC version.

Menelaus

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Any word when controller support for the PC version will be fixed? It is pretty sad that they fucked it up as bad as they did where some parts of the game like the QTE you cant use the controller.

I played the 360 version this morning and of course it works great, so there is not reason they could not of just copied the pad layout for the PC version.
The pad works fine in multiplayer if that's your concern.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pandoracell said:
I keep seeing talk about using a controller for vehicles on the PC, but can one be used for everything? Something i've never bothered to look at in the options.

If you have a 360 controller plugged in, you can use it at any time in any mode. It will just take over from KB/M. Jets, tanks, on-foot, helicopters... everything.

However, all the in-game prompts still use the keyboard commands, even if you are using the controller. Now, I just need a 360 controller button layout graphic or something so I know what all the default mappings are. Does the 360 version have it in the manual or online somewhere?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Kyaw said:

Did BF3 automatically recognize it or did you have to do any config?

Yuripaw said:
I've been considering picking up this game, but I can't quite make up my mind in terms of what platform. I got all 3, and I'm not really sure if there is any difference between the XBOX 360 version, and the PS3 versions. Other than the fact that PS3 owners got shafted on the BF1943 inclusion. I don't really care, cuz I already have that game.

I am considering the PC version, because I had heard prior to it's release that it ran really solid on even moderate PCs (like mine). I usually don't like getting games that don't have steamworks support, and I hate having to use Origin, but if it runs the best out of the 3 platforms, it still might be worth getting for the PC. Just to give an idea of what kind of PC I'm using, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, AMD/ATI HD5770 gpu with 1gb.

Considering my specs, and how it's been performing on all 3 platforms, any suggestion on which one I should go with?

I have the 360 version and play it on my e8400(i think) with a radeon 4850 and it looks better on pc. My new video card came today radeon 6870.

360 version here.

Anyone else not able to login to the battlelog site? I keep getting an error that i'm not allowed to login. Was getting this last night and then again today when I tried at lunch.

Also, what is rubberbanding in a FPS? I'm only familiar with the term in racing games.

Menelaus

Banned
FlyinJ said:
If you have a 360 controller plugged in, you can use it at any time in any mode. It will just take over from KB/M. Jets, tanks, on-foot, helicopters... everything.

However, all the in-game prompts still use the keyboard commands, even if you are using the controller. Now, I just need a 360 controller button layout graphic or something so I know what all the default mappings are. Does the 360 version have it in the manual or online somewhere?
Left Bumper - Grenade
Left Trigger - ADS
Right Bumper - Melee (press to swipe kill animation from back/side), hold to equip knife
Right Trigger - Fire

Left Stick - Move
Left Stick - Click once to enable run (continues to run until you release forward movement) / Click and hold while ADS to steady aim (Recon)
Right Stick - Aim
Right Stick - Click to duck, hold to prone

Y - Change Weapon
X - Reload
B - Enter/Leave Vehicle - Arm/Disarm M-Com
A - Jump/Vault

D Pad Up - Turn on/off flashlighg (when unlocked)
D Pad Left - Deploy Ammo/Med Pack/ Radio beacon/etc... (when unlocked)
D Pad Right - Deploy Defib/Rocked Launcher/Motion Sensor/etc... (when unlocked)
D Pad Down - Change rate of fire

Start - Options menu
Back - Spot (press), Score board (hold)

DownWithTheShip said:
Also, what is rubberbanding in a FPS? I'm only familiar with the term in racing games.
Where the lag is pulling your character backwards as your run...you run over the same patch of dirt multiple times.

IMACOMPUTA

Mr. Snrub said:
Javelin is land only. Wouldn't be much point to the other launchers if this could replace them.

Javelin seems to do high damage to vehicles. I'm not positive on this, but it seemed like I was able to one-shot disable heavy tanks with it. However, you only have two rockets by default (three with EXPL spec).

I'm trying to figure out how to change the fire mode. It defaults to DIR (direct) fire, which basically fires the rocket and then it goes straight to the target. Supposedly you can choose the fire mode that launches the rocket up into the sky and then back down, to help avoid objects. Maybe it's as simple as...changing the fire mode. Didn't think of that.

G36 is after.

How do you unlock 40MM smoke for the underbarrel launcher, btw?

Are you sure about that? I saw a loading screen that said "the javelin can lock on to anything with a heat signature -- land or air"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom