• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Confidence Man said:
Tehran is another CoD knockoff.

Pretty pathetic map lineup. Absolutely the last Battlefield I'll ever buy.

Yeah. There's a couple OK maps, but the last map I played yesterday was an absolute shitfest. I need to start writing these names down so I can remember which maps I need to control-shift-escape out of.

I want my BF to be about vehicles. Not crappy, crampy, street fights with no vehicles.

scoobs

Is there any reason in particular why my crosshair is constantly disappearing? Cuz, thats pretty handy!!! Why would i wanna know where I'm aiming?

mr_nothin

Banned
JB1981 said:
It's not though the visibility is much worse than BC2 imo
You can use a hex editor to change the contrast and turn off a setting called "enlighten" which makes shadows get super dark when looking into lighter areas and only lightens shadows when you look into them. Basically a faked HDR

Few questions:

I'm still new to the game, so I can't remember all the map names yet. But the one I'm talking about now if the oil refinery in Iran, surrounded by burning oil fields. In Conquest, do ANY vehicles spawn at any of the flag points? I swear, I couldn't find any whenever my team would capture a point.

Secondly, on the mini map, what does a combination X and O symbol mean? It's hard to describe, but it's a circular symbol with four points sticking out. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Xux

Haha, I think Seine's one of the better maps (for Conquest). Then again, I'm playing it with probably forty less players than the people complaining about it.

1stStrike

Banned
I just had a pretty epic battlefield moment on Operation Firestorm.

We were having a bit of a shootout in an open stretch of desert, so I'm prone and slowly creeping up a small rise. Suddenly, I hear the roar of a tank engine coming my way and I panic a bit. I knew it was coming, but I couldn't see it. So, I ready my RPG and wait...

The engine noise gets closer and then...

The tank comes flying at full speed over the rise I'm on, flies over my head and lands on the ground behind me.

I was so stunned I didn't even move to attack it for a few seconds. It was just like one of those "HOLY SHIT!" moments lol.

If that happened to me IRL I would've definitely shit myself.

Kyaw

Xux said:
Haha, I think Seine's one of the better maps (for Conquest). Then again, I'm playing it with probably forty less players than the people complaining about it.

64 player CQ on that map is just... arrggh.

So bad.

vaelic

Banned
mxgt said:
Anyone got really bad loading issues?

I'm one of the last to load in when a new map starts, it's really annoying. Got no problems with other games just this one :|
I do. Do you have an AMD GPU by chance?

mxgt said:
Anyone got really bad loading issues?

I'm one of the last to load in when a new map starts, it's really annoying. Got no problems with other games just this one :|
Yeah, I usually seem to be one of the last to load as well. Not sure why.

Nvidia GPU.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So are there vehicle only game types orrrrr are there no vehicles on the maps I play orrrr do people just not know where the vehicles are? I've played over a dozen games, I've never seen one.

Kingbrave said:
This game runs great on my pc and the gaf server is a ton of fun.

When your game doesnt crash of course.

Every single game it crashes. Most unstable big budget game ever. Should have been delayed not ready yet.

Cheech

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the game Geoff Knightly was talking about when he said he was underwhelmed by one of this fall's big releases.

I mean, it's better than Medal of Honor, but it feels like a mix between Medal of Honor and BC2. Really not impressed.

zazrx said:

It just pops up on Battlelog. Co-op is totally broke for me and 2 other friends, though. Every time it disconnects me before I get into a game. I've tried every combination of inviting/being invited/matchmaking and shits broke. Ports are forwarded as well.

Other than that, no crashes in multiplayer, performance is great and I'm finally getting the hang of choppers again. Life is good.

1stStrike

Banned
gibon3z said:

Every single game it crashes. Most unstable big budget game ever. Should have been delayed not ready yet.

I get crashes in MP, but only maybe one in several hours of straight gameplay. You probably have something else amiss on your PC causing the game to crash, as it's been pretty stable for me. 0 crashes on SP as well for me.

JB1981 said:
You are at such a disadvantage without the gun attachment s

Yeah, once you get the foregrip and the red dot it's game on. Until then, good fucking luck.

Izayoi

Banned
JB1981 said:
You are at such a disadvantage without the gun attachment s
Not really. Semi-auto snipers without the scopes are ridiculous (still). Shotgun is just as good without attachments as it is with them. Carbines are incredible with or without attachments. Only guns that really, really benefit from them are LMGs and Assault Rifles.

JB1981 said:
PS3 or 360?

I'm having no trouble on PC or 360 identifying targets. Granted, the console version suffers because of reduced resolution, but it's not that huge of a difference.

Kingbrave

gibon3z said:

Hasn't crashed on me, but I've only been playing a few hours.

colt45joe

Banned
JB1981 said:
I strongly dislike the new lighting model. It's like there is now shadow detail, everything is crushed, visibility is shit.

its only because most of the levels are set so that the sun is right in your eyes blinding you like in real life.

Just look slightly down at the ground, and visibility becomes better. also looking down the crosshair/scope improves visibility.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So, ho do you spot someone? It's not under controls

Also, does nobody use mics on 360? I have no idea how any of this squad stuff is supposed to work, I've been playing TDM.
Me and a mate were playing today (360) and we weren't using mics, but because we had established that we'd be working together. We ended up placing in the top 5 of every round with shit loads of points. Usually head and shoulders above the rest.
It's amazing how much you can achieve if you just keep an eye on what your squad are doing. Squads of people you don't know could easily do the same, but they just don't seem to want to.

Pandemic said:
Is anyone enjoying it on the consoles? Is multiplayer any good?

Thanks
I have both PC and 360 and to be honest I've enjoyed 360 more. Probably because I'm playing with friends / comfy couch. I will be playing between the two, but 360 will probably take up most of my time.

Pandemic said:
Is anyone enjoying it on the consoles? Is multiplayer any good?

Thanks
Now that it's working yes. The interface is bad compared to bfbc2 on the consoles, for things like joining as a group and playing with friends.

Eric WK

Kylehimself said:
I have both PC and 360 and to be honest I've enjoyed 360 more. Probably because I'm playing with friends / comfy couch. I will be playing between the two, but 360 will probably take up most of my time.

Same here, Pandemic.

elrechazao said:
Now that it's working yes. The interface is bad compared to bfbc2 on the consoles, for things like joining as a group and playing with friends.
You think? I just invite friends and search for a server with enough free slots. Works fine for me. I don't however care for the stats system. I just use battlelog on my laptop for that. handy enough since it updates instantly after each round.

Pandemic

Sounds good, even though I'll be getting it for the PS3, multiplayer should be similar.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it!

Xux

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So are there vehicle only game types orrrrr are there no vehicles on the maps I play orrrr do people just not know where the vehicles are? I've played over a dozen games, I've never seen one.
There's an infantry only option and the Deathmatch game modes don't have many vehicles (no clue about Squad Rush). Operation Metro doesn't have vehicles either. Any other combo should have them.

snack

xmUz9.jpg

Pandemic said:
Sounds good, even though I'll be getting it for the PS3, multiplayer should be similar.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it!
There are noticeable difference in the game play between PC and console, map size and what not. But it doesn't take anything away from the console imo.

I don't get the map bitching. Only a handful of the large BF2 were actually any good, most of the servers the last couple years have been infantry only Karkand and Sharqis, maps with heavy emphasis on hectic urban combat. And while the flags on some maps are little closer together than I'd like, this isn't new to the series:

Tobruk.jpg

Kursk.jpg

Stalingrad.jpg

Lot of the 2142 maps were also pretty linear in Conquest and comparable to Rush maps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Jack Scofield said:
Few questions:

I'm still new to the game, so I can't remember all the map names yet. But the one I'm talking about now if the oil refinery in Iran, surrounded by burning oil fields. In Conquest, do ANY vehicles spawn at any of the flag points? I swear, I couldn't find any whenever my team would capture a point.

Secondly, on the mini map, what does a combination X and O symbol mean? It's hard to describe, but it's a circular symbol with four points sticking out. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Vehicles do spawn on captured flags. I capped a flag on that map and a tank appeared. Not sure what the respawn rules are on the capped flag vehicles, though. Definitely seems like they spawn less frequently after they are destroyed than the main base ones.

As for the second question, I have no idea. I know what you're talking about though, and would like to know as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom